Does anyone make a great pizza anymore?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
2007/11/30 14:17:00 (permalink)

Does anyone make a great pizza anymore?

Great Pizza seems to be almost something of the past. Especially on the chain store level. The cost of quality ingredients makes it impossible. If you were to use top quality mozzerella or true pepperoni it would cost $20 or more for a good quality pie. Making this way to pricey for family delivery. Remember when they used small thick pepperoni and it would curl up creating a pool of grease. The slightly burnt thin crust with small balls of cornmeal on the bottom. The yeast bubbles throughout the pie with a tough airey olive oil coated outer crust. And most of all the slight bite of the parmesian reggiano cheese that was dusted on the top quality tomatoe sauce.Then it was delivered to the waiting family at the door hot, and when the brown paper wrapper was opened a plume of steam permiated the room with a smell second to none. This was the pizza I used to get in Detroit from a place called Midtown Pizza when I was young. Today I eat at a place in Ohio now called The Flying Pizza which is very good but only a mere shadow of pizza greatness.The sad thing is that a true pizza hasnt been available for an entire generation now. And we are lucky to have one great pizza place in any given city. I would love to know where you all go to get a great pizza.

56 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 14:18:30 (permalink)
    Just about anywhere in the NYC metro area.
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 14:28:12 (permalink)
    I think Russ Jackson has a point. Seems to me that decades ago good pizza was the norm, not something you had to search for. Of course, another possibility is my less discerning taste buds of the past didn't know the difference. It may be a combination of both those things - the pizza of old may not have been as good as my memory of it, and modern technology is good at creating ever cheaper ingredients.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 14:41:03 (permalink)
    You can't compete with memories. But when you get down to it, $20 to feed a family isn't that bad either if good pizza is available to you for that price.
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 14:45:38 (permalink)
    I don't care how high quality the ingredients are; you're not going to get a great pizza delivered to your door. The best of crusts begin to "deteriorate" 5 minutes after the pie leaves the oven. When they're boxed and put into those zippered keep-hot bags, they begin to steam and get soggy. If you want a fantastic pizza, make it yourself. Buffalo mozz, San Marzano sauce, reggiano parm, good King Arthur flour, and you'll still turn out 15" pies that cost way under $20. pb
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 15:09:29 (permalink)
    We make our own, for months and its great and EASY, but you need a few things. I'm so tired of getting bad pizza, very happy with mine:
    A pizza pan (I use a jelly roll pan, rectangular)
    Good pizza wheel.
    Pizza dough (I use storebought in tubes in the biscuit section)
    Pizza sauce. Ragu make a good one, my favorite is Peppino.
    Mozzerella and Parmesan.

Hot Oven 400F
    Oil the pan lightly.
    Take out the dough, 2 for the pan I use, EASY! Unfold at seam, press in place.
    Place back in oven 10 minutes.
    Take out, don't shut off the oven.
    Pour the pizza sauce on top, leave an edge for the crust. I like it saucy, 2 cans.
    I do an extra step: micro some butter, brush butter on the crust ends, sprinkle some garlic powder on that.
    Sprinkle your mozzerella on top, 8oz sufficient. Parmesan if you want too. I sprinkle some additional salt, garlic powder, pepper.
    Put back in oven 8-10 min till edges nice and brown.
    Take out, let rest a minute or so and dig in.
    Wonderful. It cost me $14 to make, not including the pan and wheel.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 16:13:33 (permalink)
    I'm making my own pretty much nowadays since I feel I can do better than any of the locals. Every time I keep upping the ante and am just getting back to what I learned 46 years ago working in an independent pizza parlor that spent the whole day preparing fresh for a 5 PM opening. Just this past month new oven, new stone, new peel, better flour, fresh basil and going gangbusters. I have experimented with thin crust, deep dish, and Neapolitan styles. I'm ready to take on the Scalvos in Desperate Housewives. This Saturday night I am making an all white pizza with all ingredients including sauce and dough as always started from scratch. Stay tuned.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18588
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 16:20:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

I'm making my own pretty much nowadays since I feel I can do better than any of the locals. Every time I keep upping the ante and am just getting back to what I learned 46 years ago working in an independent pizza parlor that spent the whole day preparing fresh for a 5 PM opening. Just this past month new oven, new stone, new peel, better flour, fresh basil and going gangbusters. I have experimented with thin crust, deep dish, and Neapolitan styles. I'm ready to take on the Scalvos in Desperate Housewives. This Saturday night I am making an all white pizza with all ingredients including sauce and dough as always started from scratch. Stay tuned.

Have you ever used 6 in 1 canned all purpose tomatoes. Once you have tried them you will never use anythin else!
    porkbeaks
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 16:30:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson
    Have you ever used 6 in 1 canned all purpose tomatoes. Once you have tried them you will never use anythin else!

They're all I ever use. I order them online since I can't find them here in Georgia. Six 28 oz. cans shipping included for $16.50.

http://www.escalon.net/6in1.aspx
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 16:33:05 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Have not but I am thinking of looking into it. A long time ago I used to make my own fresh sauce from the late summer tomato harvest. I haven't done that in years.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 16:34:41 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Ahh, "6 in 1" canned tomatoes from Escalon packers. The very best. It's not easy to find their products outside of the West coast. HEB stores in Austin carries it and when my son comes to Dallas I always have him bring me a few cans.
    Escalon does ship but, shipping is not cheap because of the weight involved.
    www.escalon.net
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 20:07:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:

quote:

Ahh, "6 in 1" canned tomatoes from Escalon packers. The very best. It's not easy to find their products outside of the West coast. HEB stores in Austin carries it and when my son comes to Dallas I always have him bring me a few cans.
    Escalon does ship but, shipping is not cheap because of the weight involved.
    www.escalon.net

Most people have no idea how great canned tomatoes are if all they have used is Rold Gold or a similar store bought tomatoe. You can take a can of 6 in 1 tomatoes and add only fresh basil and have the best pizza sauce you will ever have.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18955
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 20:52:48 (permalink)
    I'll stick with real San Marzano tomatoes.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8703
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 20:54:55 (permalink)
    Yes---Davydd.
    porkbeaks
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 21:09:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I used to say the same thing, Michael. Then I tried the Escalon 6 in 1 brand. For my purposes (pizza, mostly), they have served me better than the hit & miss availability of real San Marzanos and, even including shipping, they are less expensive. pb
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/11/30 21:25:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

I used to say the same thing, Michael. Then I tried the Escalon 6 in 1 brand. For my purposes (pizza, mostly), they have served me better than the hit & miss availability of real San Marzanos and, even including shipping, they are less expensive. pb

I've never had any problem getting the San Marzano tomatoes around here. I use them to make sauces for pasta and other things.
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 08:48:24 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

I've never had any problem getting the San Marzano tomatoes around here. I use them to make sauces for pasta and other things.

Michael you neglect to say if you have ever used 6 in 1. If so get a can of each have someone put them in two different bowls and taste them blind. I think you will find that the 6 in 1 will win you over.They are the only tomato I will eat right out of the can. Enjoy
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 10:29:34 (permalink)
    There is much to be said about the fact that "pizza ain't what it use to be" from the pizzerias of today in many areas of the country . . . maybe not all. I know it could be, in part, the brain aging process, but look at the fact that mom and pop or the old family pizzerias are going the way of the dinosaur. The pizza places that I knew of in the 50's and 60's were run by hard working owners who took great pride in their work and their pizza products. The generation that took over after them did almost as well, but then over time you get further generational deterioration and disinterest. The younger generation (on the average) doesn't want to put on the apron and get all floured up and spend countless evening hours mixing, rolling, cooking and baking those priceless pizza pies that I remember in my youth. If one is inclined to be in the business today, maybe a "franchise" is the easy way to go (for which I say . . . "yuck"). And the franchises have done much to destroy the old mom and pop/family run pizzerias.

While there are still a "few" good ones out there, I, too, have been doing a lot of pizzamaking on my own recently. I like both cracker crust thin and Chicago deep dish pizzas and I've been getting better and better at making them (from scratch only, . . . no store bought crust or the like). Nothing compares to 6 in 1 canned tomatoes from California and I order them from Escalon all the time (you need about a week and a half lead time on orders, which are extremely cheap). You can also buy their "giant" cans from the average GFS, but I like the smaller 28 oz. cans as I've found the leftover sauce does not freeze well. Someone mistakenly said "shipping is not cheap"!! Oh? 25 cents a can is REAL cheap (that's what they charge). Hands down, there is no better canned tomato to use for your pizza sauce than 6 in 1, either straight out of the can or doctored up with Penzey's and other spices and additives.

San Marzano tomato sauce is real good, too. Almost as good as 6 in 1 IMO if you can get real San Marzano tomatoes in a can (most are fake or San Marzano-like tomatoes, tho).
    Bigdave125
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 11:02:06 (permalink)
    Zachary's Pizza in Oakland, (Berkley) Ca. is the best pizza I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot in my 50 years!
    As far as I can tell their ingredients are top quality. They offer a "half baked" pie to take home and cook and to me this is the best way to eat it, other than at the restaurant.

Enjoy if you are ever in the Bay Area,

Bigdave125

Here is the link for the restaurant and a clip from the description of the stuffed pizza, which is the only one to get there!

http://www.zacharys.com/about.html

Different from a traditional "deep dish" pizza or calzone, stuffed pizza is unique.

We begin this luscious creation with a bottom layer of dough inside a two inch deep pan.

A hearty helping of cheese topped with ingredients of your choice are added next.

Then another thin layer of dough covers the ingredients, and our zesty tomato sauce tops the pie!

As the pizza cooks, the top layer of dough will melt into the cheese, and the result is a delicious pie that you will enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the difference between Zachary's Chicago "stuffed" pizza and other "Chicago style" pizzas?

The first thing you will notice about our pizza is the deep red, chunky tomato sauce on top.
    Then you will notice the two inch tall golden brown crust on the side of the pizza.
    Since our pizza seals in the cheeses and ingredients as it cooks, the ingredients remain moist and flavorful, and do not dry out like other pizza styles.
    Also, we are able to put in a large quantity of cheese in each pizza, because the cheese remains inside the pizza, and will not melt over the side and onto the oven floor like other pizza styles.

dholk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 11:22:46 (permalink)
    I worked for a good size pizza chain during the late 80s and early 90s and what appeared to happen was that pizza was demoted from a casual eat out meal to fast food. Little Caesars and Dominos came into most markets and drove the prices down so much that most restaurants had to use cheaper ingredients and simpler production techniques to reduce costs and compete.

The few years that I worked for the company during high school and early college, the biggest thing that reduced quality was cheaper ingredients. We used cheaper meats, went from shredding our own full-fat mozz to frozen pre-shredded part skim, cutting our own peppers and onions to bagged onions and so on. Each change had a marginal effect, but the sum total of cost-cutting measures basically destroyed the product.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 13:21:19 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Michael you neglect to say if you have ever used 6 in 1. If so get a can of each have someone put them in two different bowls and taste them blind. I think you will find that the 6 in 1 will win you over.They are the only tomato I will eat right out of the can. Enjoy

Although I've never even heard of 6 in 1 canned tomatoes, nothing would win me over from San Marzano tomatoes. I do not eat canned tomatoes, I cook with them, and I have no use for any canned tomatoes that are not Italiam type plum tomatoes.
    porkbeaks
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 13:34:28 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Although I've never even heard of 6 in 1 canned tomatoes, nothing would win me over from San Marzano tomatoes. I do not eat canned tomatoes, I cook with them, and I have no use for any canned tomatoes that are not Italiam type plum tomatoes.

Russ Jackson
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 14:34:53 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Michael How can you be so closed minded? Break open the piggy bank and buy some if they arnt better than what you are using i will pick up the tab ok. Foodies are never closed minded about trying new things. I actually use a can of them as a paperweight in my office and hand them out to customers and have never had anyone say they were anything but the best.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 14:51:07 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bigdave125

Zachary's Pizza in Oakland, (Berkley) Ca. is the best pizza I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot in my 50 years!
    As far as I can tell their ingredients are top quality. They offer a "half baked" pie to take home and cook and to me this is the best way to eat it, other than at the restaurant.

Enjoy if you are ever in the Bay Area,

Bigdave125

Here is the link for the restaurant and a clip from the description of the stuffed pizza, which is the only one to get there!

http://www.zacharys.com/about.html

Different from a traditional "deep dish" pizza or calzone, stuffed pizza is unique.

We begin this luscious creation with a bottom layer of dough inside a two inch deep pan.

A hearty helping of cheese topped with ingredients of your choice are added next.

Then another thin layer of dough covers the ingredients, and our zesty tomato sauce tops the pie!

As the pizza cooks, the top layer of dough will melt into the cheese, and the result is a delicious pie that you will enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the difference between Zachary's Chicago "stuffed" pizza and other "Chicago style" pizzas?

The first thing you will notice about our pizza is the deep red, chunky tomato sauce on top.
    Then you will notice the two inch tall golden brown crust on the side of the pizza.
    Since our pizza seals in the cheeses and ingredients as it cooks, the ingredients remain moist and flavorful, and do not dry out like other pizza styles.
    Also, we are able to put in a large quantity of cheese in each pizza, because the cheese remains inside the pizza, and will not melt over the side and onto the oven floor like other pizza styles.

Outside of Chicago, I would put our local Oregano's up against anyone else's stuffed pizza. Before you start putting it down because it is in Phoenix, go to this site:

http://www.oreganos.com/story.htm

Having said that, I haven't eaten at Zachary's, but will make a point to next time I am in the Bay area.

DD

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 16:14:03 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Michael How can you be so closed minded? Break open the piggy bank and buy some if they arnt better than what you are using i will pick up the tab ok. Foodies are never closed minded about trying new things. I actually use a can of them as a paperweight in my office and hand them out to customers and have never had anyone say they were anything but the best.

You said the magic word,and if Groucho were still alive I'm sure a duck would have come down to let you know about it. I'm not a foodie. I cook and I eat.
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 16:19:38 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You said the magic word,and if Groucho were still alive I'm sure a duck would have come down to let you know about it. I'm not a foodie. I cook and I eat.

Ok email me your address and i will send you some from escalon. tjlrj@aol.com
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 16:29:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the offer, but I'll pass.
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 16:39:38 (permalink)
    quote:

stub·born (stbrn)
    adj. stub·born·er, stub·born·est
    a. Unreasonably, often perversely unyielding; bullheaded.
    b. Firmly resolved or determined; resolute. See Synonyms at obstinate.
    2. Characterized by perseverance; persistent.
    3. Difficult to treat or deal with; resistant to treatment or effort: stubborn soil; stubborn stains.
    4. Inability to try canned tomatoes.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 17:05:01 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

stub·born (stbrn)
    3. Difficult to treat or deal with; resistant to treatment or effort: stubborn soil; stubborn stains.

Bull****!
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Does anyone make a great pizza anymore? 2007/12/01 17:34:24 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

stub·born (stbrn)

Bull****!

I was just kinning around.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1