Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
sugarmagnolia258
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/04/23 15:27:00 (permalink)
Does anyone remember the Burry's short bread cookies that looked like a flower? Does anyone have a picture? Thanks!
NCTim
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/04/23 21:43:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sugarmagnolia258

Does anyone remember the Burry's short bread cookies that looked like a flower? Does anyone have a picture? Thanks!
Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 845
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/04/23 22:39:57 (permalink)
Fudgetown was the standard in my house
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/04/24 10:14:42 (permalink)
Yankeesfan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/04/24 10:55:52 (permalink)
Oooh, from just looking at the picture I can practically taste those fudge shortbread cookies! Thanks for posting it!
sugarmagnolia258
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/04/24 11:46:53 (permalink)
I guess noone has a picture of those butter cookies, I'm still looking for them. Has any one tried to find Burry's archives on line? I'm having a hard time findng anything
APMiller
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/09/23 14:41:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Fildo

I LOVED Fudgetowns. I also remember poking out the fudge in the center and eating it first. My brothers and I talk about those frequently. We all loved 'em. You would think that since Burry went out of business some other cookie company would have bought the rights/recipe for them. Many people fondly recall Burry's Best cookies
Mother's Double Fudge Cookies, sold only in states west of the Mississippi river taste exactly like Fudgetowns. Mother's was once owned by LU but has since been sold.

NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH!!! There is now a cookie sold here on the east coast that tastes exactly like Fudgetowns!!! It is Archway Double Fudge Creme. Archway Mother's Cookie Co. inc. located in Battle Creek MI. produces Double Fudge under the Mother's name west of the Mississippi river & now has expanded Double Fudge to be sold in the eastern states under the Archway name.
Mother's was sold by LU to archway. I believe Burry LU & LU were the same company, so that could explain why Double Fudge Creme tastes exactly like Fudgetowns, but only the shape is different with no hole in the middle. These cookies are sold in 49 states. The only state it is not available in is PA because in PA Archway has franchised there name & distribution to the Davis Cookie Co. & Davis don't produce or distribute Double Fudge Creme.
P.S.
I bought Double Fudge Creme on 10/2/07 in a supermarket Watchung N.J.
mrcoffee
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/10/07 03:43:47 (permalink)
I hate to say this but I am actually happy to see that the Burry cookie company is deceased. Long story, but it involved the Girl Scouts also.

I owned a business and was looking to help out a Girl Scout as part of a community service. I used to be a Boy Scout and remember what it was like trying to sell all the stuff we had to sell to support the organization. So I figured I would buy a large amount of cookies to put some lucky Girl Scout well over the top to get the big prize and patches etc. I'm thinking this is really going to make some girls day. I didn't care who the girl was so I solicited nominations from my customers. I contacted the mother of the girl and introduced myself as I was a pretty well known businessman in the community and told her what I wanted to do for her daughter. All I got from the mother was a rude, are you kidding me....I bought 15 CASES of cookies anyway as I knew it wasn't the girls fault her mother was rude. A couple of weeks later expecting to at least meet the young lady to hear about her prize and maybe a thank you. All I got was her dad who wasn't a bit happy about having to deliver them to me, who I paid and he left with not even a thank you. Wait it gets better! Well since I could not even think of possibly eating 15 cases of cookies, I began giving them to any customer who wanted a box. Yes, I said giving away, as any other Girl Scout's parents employer does when her parents take their order sheets to their work and the employer buys cookies. It wasn't part of my business, I needed to get rid of the cookies as I had no place to store them. Now I get a call from the Girl Scout Council who now threatens to sue me as I am not licensed to distribute the cookies. You know...One would think they would have been happy to have sold the stupid things and made a little money. Guess not. So the next day I am trying to unload the rest of these battered and bruised baked biscuits of Burry's best and low and behold if I don't get a call from the legal department of the Burry Cookie Company in Chicago, who also threatens a lawsuit if I didn't immediately quit "distributing" the cookies without a license. Now I have rude Girl Scout parents, an ungreatful Girl Scout Council, and a Corporation who in all their enormousness wants to threaten someone who all they wanted to do is help out a little girl with getting something from a kind community member who cared. Well, so the Burry Cookie Company crumbled...How ironic!
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2164
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/10/07 11:40:21 (permalink)
You probably got turned in by a Girl Scout or a Girl Scout's parent who was pissed by the rigged sales contest. As for Burry's legal department, they were not told the whole story. Since they did not bring suit against you, they must have concluded you were within your legal rights.

I was on the other side of the fence. My father died when I was in elementary school. Thereafter, the school started using fund raising drives to raise money. Again, the students were expected to sell stuff. So I went from door to door and sold practically nothing since every other kid in town was selling the same stuff. We no longer had a car so I couldn't be driven to friends and family in nearby town to try to flog the stuff. Then I started to analyze who the parents of the kids winning the awards were. Union shop stewards, office employees, salesmen. The kids weren't selling those huge amounts of goods. The parents were either buying them out of their own pockets to feed their own egos, or coerced fellow workers, etc to buy them. The salesmen were probably giving them out to their purchasing agent customers as payola, and the salesmens' company was reimbursing the salesmen for "business expenses".

In later years I willingly bought the Chocolate Mint cookies from parents selling them in my office, since I wasn't home when the girl scouts would go door-to-door.

And you wonder why I am such a cynic.
mrcoffee
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/10/10 23:32:39 (permalink)
I'm sure you are right as far as who initiated it. It is the idea that the Girl Scout Council came back with such venum. And I did explain it, or tried to, to the Cookie company but they wanted no part of it. As of this date, I will eat the cookies as they are a quality product. And I will support the Girl Scouts as they are a great organization. But I will never ever buy the cookies again.
Frankman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 300
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/10/10 23:55:45 (permalink)
I absolutely loved Fudge Towns. First with milk and in later years with coffee. Very very sweet chocolate cookie. I can almost still remember that sweet silky chocolate taste.
Chris in NH
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/12/13 23:13:57 (permalink)
Oh Man! I just read all 3 pages of posts and have been on such a nostalgia trip for the past 15 minutes. Fudgetown, my absolute, all-time favorite! I've searched and searched for them. I remembered they were made by Burry. But I haven't seen ANYthing by Burry in years. At first I thought it was Nabisco and Keebler paying off the supermarkets to croud them out, but of course, they must have gone under. How sad. I grew up in the era of the light brown box with the cowboy and lasso, but I pushed out those little chocolate buttons just like everyone else. I can still see the cookie shelves from a 7 year old's perspective in the aisles of our old A & P in Millwood, NY. And the Scooter Pies, the Gauchos,....MR CHIPS - that mysterious dark caped man (admittedly, he scared me a bit as a small kid!) And yes, our Girl Scout cookies in Millwood were baked by Burrys, and the Trefoils had loads of coarse sugar crystals on top. The only GS cookies I'll buy anymore are the Thin Mints, and they go straight into the freezer...

Dare fudge cookies are OK, but they're not the same. The new Archway cookies sound so promising - I'm going out to find it in the morning! (But I hesitate to get my hopes up...)

And I don't know if anyone loved Mallowmars as much as I did, but I scored a box of them last month in Northampton, MA at a Stop and Shop. Why I didn't buy more, I don't know. I need to see if it was a dream or if I really found them again after all these years (and the recipe hadn't changed, the taste was like biting into a time warp - awesome!)

It looks like there are Mr.Chips and Gaucho refrigerator magnets available on ebay. Just a little sad this is the closest we'll come to ever tasting these great cookies again. And my kids can't have that great experience (but apparently, there're still Mallowmars!!...)

Thanks all, for such great memories. (I think it would be good to keep this thread in a positive light - just my 2 cents)

Chris in NH
NCTim
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/12/14 09:27:59 (permalink)
Chris in NH, I see Mallowmars all the time down here in Charlotte. You'll think I'm crazy but I am now trying to watch what I eat and have resisted them so far.
NCTim
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/12/14 09:34:10 (permalink)
I forgt to add that I remembered Kettle cookies. They were like windmill cookies, only square with a finely detailed hearth imprint with a hanging kettle. I'm pretty sure they were in the Burry's Assortment, so now that's Mr.Chips, Fudgetown, Gaucho, Kettle, and two more, which I'm inclined to say were some kind of creme wafers and a lemon creme sandwich cookie.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7687
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/12/14 09:38:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Chris in NH

MR CHIPS - that mysterious dark caped man (admittedly, he scared me a bit as a small kid!) Chris in NH

Our own Mr. Chips scared you?

Welcome to RF!

Chris in NH
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/12/14 23:02:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Our own Mr. Chips scared you?
Welcome to RF!

Well, consider that I grew up watching Godzilla and Rodan movies (and Night of the Living Dead, Freaks, etc, etc) from a very early age on...
I thought Mr. Chips was some cross between Mr. Magoo and the black spy in Spy Vs. Spy. Didn't keep me from eating the cookies, though!

Thanks for the welcome! What a cool place. The other incredibly cool place I found last night was the Imaginary World. OMG, talk about mind warp to another food dimension! I wandered around this site for over an hour!
http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/
prburry
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/12/31 17:32:56 (permalink)
Hello everyone. I am a Burry; so, I got a kick out of this string. Thank you all.

We did a bit of research growing up on the Burry cookie company. My understanding is that the company was sold to Quaker Oats. I wasn't aware of the requirement to sell to the highest bidder. I had heard that the company was sold under the condition that any Burry products had to retain the Burry Cookie Company name on the package, regardless of the buyer. So, I gather that Quaker decided to do away with most of the products years ago.

I was consulting in Minneapolis a few years back and was served Burry oyster crackers with soup at a restaurant one day. I guess some products are still out there. You've all renewed my interest; so, I think that I'll do some more research to see if I can find any Burry products.

Thanks again
Clarisse
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/01/01 22:01:06 (permalink)
remember that part of the song went..."they're baked, they're baked by brry's, so they're burry, burry good". I can hear the music in my head...but I guess that is an issue for another forum. I used to love to poke my pinky through the hole in the fudgetown cookies and push out the little chocolate cream piece, then chase my sister with it and tell her it was poop.

Yes, I was a joy as a child

OMG! LMAO! I wasn't sure what the fudgetown cookies were until I read that! Then I looked at the pictures and a chill went down my spine! LOVED those cookies
NJskeeter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/01/08 05:08:52 (permalink)
What a great thread this is. I grew up in Elizabeth, NJ where Burry was based so I can shed a little light and some memories on the subject.

The Burry Biscuit factory was on the Newark/Elizabeth line and not too far from my grandmother's house growing up. When they were baking her whole neighborhood smelled like cookies! That's right, Elizabeth, NJ actually smelled good on many days.

Across the street from the factory was the Burry's Cookies N' Stuff outlet store, where they sold "damaged" cookies in huge cardboard boxes. The name of the cookies were just stamped on the side of a plain white box that just said "Burrys" on it. We used to save these big boxes to store stuff in. Wish I still had a few of them now. I remember going there with my dad and just stocking up every few weeks. A giant box of Burry's Best chocolate chip cookies cost about $3.50 in the late 80s. This is the first place I ever saw Snapple as well, back when the only flavor they made was apple cider, hence their name. This was also in the 80s. The outlet store also carried all sorts of weird cookies and snacks that you pretty much couldn't find anywhere else, as well as Burry Lu cookies, that are still around simply as Lu Cookies.

I'm not sure on the exact date when they closed, I'm going to say the early 90s, but the factory turned into an Interbake foods factory and the outlet store also reflected the change. Interbake currently makes Girl Scout cookies but nowhere near as good as Burry's. I'm almost positive the factory is completely shut down now and the store has been closed for probably 15 years. I miss the huge boxes of crumbled up chocolate chip cookies as well as their large thin chocolate chip cookies that I used to make ice cream sandwiches out of.
Chris in NH
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/01/09 20:20:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by APMiller

NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH!!! There is now a cookie sold here on the east coast that tastes exactly like Fudgetowns!!! It is Archway Double Fudge Creme.
P.S. I bought Double Fudge Creme on 10/2/07 in a supermarket Watchung N.J.

This has sent me out on a cookie hunt!! I found that our local Stop & Shop in Northampton, MA sells plenty of brands of Archway - but no Double Fudge Cream. DRAT!!!!

Any ideas which stores to seek out for these cookies???
APMiller
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/01/09 21:55:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Chris in NH

quote:
Originally posted by APMiller

NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH!!! There is now a cookie sold here on the east coast that tastes exactly like Fudgetowns!!! It is Archway Double Fudge Creme.
P.S. I bought Double Fudge Creme on 10/2/07 in a supermarket Watchung N.J.

This has sent me out on a cookie hunt!! I found that our local Stop & Shop in Northampton, MA sells plenty of brands of Archway - but no Double Fudge Cream. DRAT!!!!

Any ideas which stores to seek out for these cookies???

I bought Archway Double Fudge Creme in Shoprite on Route 22 in Watchung N.J. back in 11/07. You may want to call the store before making the trip. I don't get to go to N.J. much anymore, but I am planning to go to that Shoprite later this month. Not all Shoprite stores carry Double Fudge Creme.
NJskeeter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/01/31 05:55:20 (permalink)
I live about five minutes from the Watchung ShopRite and went there last night. They currently have tons of the double fudge cremes in stock. I believe they're either $2.99 or $3.99 for the package. Never knew there were coconuts in the ingredients until last night when I looked at the package.
Yum
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/02/08 23:25:34 (permalink)
Ahhh, Burry's Cookies. I remember them well! Does anyone else recall at Christmastime, Burry's would have special shortbread cookies in Christmas tree ornament shapes, decorated with sugar sprinkles? You could even hang them on your tree, but the ones in our house never got that far.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6202
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/02/17 14:29:38 (permalink)
Weren't those Fudgetown cookies originally called "Double-fudge" cookies....And you're right..Keebler makes a poor imitation knockoff.
mitros
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/02/27 20:22:44 (permalink)
I recall many years ago, when we lived in Elizabeth, New Jersey, there was the old Burry Biscuit cookie factory just before the Newark city line. They used to make all the girl scout cookies back then, but I believe they were bought out buy a French company and they called the product Burry-lu. Not sure if they are still around or not. And before it was the Burry Biscuit factory, they used to make automobiles in that plant. I want to say Hudson was the car brand, but I can't be sure. But THAT was before my time
quote:
Originally posted by Yum

Ahhh, Burry's Cookies. I remember them well! Does anyone else recall at Christmastime, Burry's would have special shortbread cookies in Christmas tree ornament shapes, decorated with sugar sprinkles? You could even hang them on your tree, but the ones in our house never got that far.
palmettophil
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/05/16 07:21:23 (permalink)
I wish I could find them. Fudgetown was My absolute favorite. Give me a box and some milk and I would have waved dinner if my mother would have let me.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/05/16 11:01:46 (permalink)
Does anyone make a good fudge cookie with fudge filling like the old Burry's double fudge and fudgetown??? Keebler's isn't very good.
NCTim
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/05/16 17:45:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Does anyone make a good fudge cookie with fudge filling like the old Burry's double fudge and fudgetown??? Keebler's isn't very good.

You missed my entry of March 2007. Go back and look.
leethebard
Sirloin
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/05/16 18:39:26 (permalink)
Thanks...did miss that. Where do you find the Dare brand...never heard of it?
APMiller
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2008/05/16 19:58:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Take a look at my listings posted on 9/23/07 & 1/9/08 about Archway Double Fudge Creme. Just finished a bag this morning before work. Delicious! Tastes exactly like Fudgetown!!!
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1