Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Thompson
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/06/16 02:12:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by renfrew

As a kid, my grandmother would take me to the Burry's Cookie factory in Elizabeth, NJ.

The cookie I loved most from them were Fudge Towns. Two vanilla cookies sandwiching chocalte fudge cream that squirted out a litte from a hole in the middle. Man I am craving them somthing fierce.

Burry's used to also produce Girl Scout cookies i remember. Not sure for how big an area. But I do remember them being better than they are now.

Burry's is gone for sure, and so are Fudge Towns I think. Just wondering if anyone remembers this wonderful cookie company?

Yes I remember them I lived in Virginia for some years. The last time I purchased them was about 16 years ago, since I used to feed them to my nineteen year old. How lucky he is to have at least eaten Burry's Fudgetown.
Adorableone39
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/07/23 16:20:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Thompson

quote:

As a kid, my grandmother would take me to the Burry's Cookie factory in Elizabeth, NJ.

The cookie I loved most from them were Fudge Towns. Two vanilla cookies sandwiching chocalte fudge cream that squirted out a litte from a hole in the middle. Man I am craving them somthing fierce.

Burry's used to also produce Girl Scout cookies i remember. Not sure for how big an area. But I do remember them being better than they are now.

Burry's is gone for sure, and so are Fudge Towns I think. Just wondering if anyone remembers this wonderful cookie company?

Yes I remember them I lived in Virginia for some years. The last time I purchased them was about 16 years ago, since I used to feed them to my nineteen year old. How lucky he is to have at least eaten Burry's Fudgetown.
Adorableone39
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/07/23 16:24:23 (permalink)
I loved those cookies! They were called Happynicks, I believe. 34 years ago, I used to bring them to kindergarten, for snack day! What happy memories! I wish that they were still around:(
Diner-Lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/07/23 16:57:57 (permalink)
We often had Burry's cookies in the house and I can still remember where I was when I tasted my first Fudgetown cookie: on summer vacation, sitting at a picnic table, near Lake Ontario-- I was probably in 4th or 5th grade! We had seen the commercials and begged Mom to buy them and when she relented, I'd hurried through my lunch so I'd finally get to taste them. I also remember when my Mom later had them in the house, my sister would scrape out the chocolate icing, roll them into balls, put them in the fridge, and dab peanut butter on them for her own home-made PB cups. I hated that she could delay gratification that way! In later years, I preferred Keebler's chocolate fudge creme sandwich cookies to Fudgetown.

I remember liking those peanut butter Gauchos that someone mentioned. And since I was a Girl Scout in the '60's I remember selling their cookies way back then. And we sometimes persuaded Mom to buy Scooter Pies, too-- loved 'em.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/07/23 17:03:39 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Strikes me that Burry's was family-owned and had a caveat that when they ran out of family willing to run the business that they had to sell to whoever the highest bidder was and turn around and walk away.
It will be interesting to find out the entire truth. Their products were excellent.
Uncookiemonsterishly, Ort. Carlton in Melting-Chocolatesque Athens, Georgia.
vivaharrycaray
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/07 18:32:11 (permalink)

Burry's. I'm sure i remember them and ate them because I have been on a quest to find an image of a package. Somehow the name crept out from the shadow of my youth and wanted to be remembered. I'm 40 and live in Columbus, OH. Here is what comes to mind.

The Burry's logo. I have seen 2 Burry's package images and they don't ring a bell. The word Burry's I recall was in a paisley shaped outline. Maybe I did have the Girl Scout Cookies because after reading the posts here the name Gauchos also rings a bell.

As cookies/cereal/tv were a great part of mine/ours? childhood this has stayed with me and demands to be solved.

Any input?

Thanks!

Aaron
Columbus,OH
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/07 19:10:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by vivaharrycaray

Burry's. I'm sure i remember them and ate them because I have been on a quest to find an image of a package. Somehow the name crept out from the shadow of my youth and wanted to be remembered. I'm 40 and live in Columbus, OH. Here is what comes to mind.

The Burry's logo. I have seen 2 Burry's package images and they don't ring a bell. The word Burry's I recall was in a paisley shaped outline. Maybe I did have the Girl Scout Cookies because after reading the posts here the name Gauchos also rings a bell.

As cookies/cereal/tv were a great part of mine/ours? childhood this has stayed with me and demands to be solved.

Any input?

Thanks!

Aaron
Columbus,OH

Have you seen this box?

http://theimaginaryworld.com/heidie10.jpg

Jonathan
vivaharrycaray
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/08 19:05:16 (permalink)
I have seen that one and do not recall it. I know the Burry's I had had a different font and the logo / name Burry's was in some sort of paisley shap like outline. Perhaps it was th Gauchos as that name sounds familiar. Never had those fudge ones. The ones I da were either Peanut Butter or Chocolate with Choclate icing but round.
markolenski
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/08 19:28:39 (permalink)
Another box
http://theimaginaryworld.com/newta002.jpg
Joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 153
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/16 08:52:56 (permalink)
Man--Burry's were great! Mr Chips, Scooter pies,mmmmmmmmmmm. Man those box jpg's are certainly bringing back great memories!
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/16 09:10:38 (permalink)
(sung slightly off key by yours truly)...Heaven to Betsy, Burry's are good....best darn cookies in the neighborhood!
That was the slogan...and the Scooter Pies, which are now made by another company, were always a favorite in our house!
Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/16 09:12:52 (permalink)
Check out Ebay--there's an old Burry's box from the 1950's selling for $271 now!
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/16 09:17:12 (permalink)
Wow, had not revisited this thread in a while, great to read the memories of this cookie company.

Their factory in Elizabeth NJ was my favorite adventure growing up. The retail store literally had the boxes going up to the ceiling. Apparently there is a canadian cookie company (Dare?) that makes cookies similiar to Fudgetowns, but I have never tried them

Joisey
Cheeseburger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/16 09:24:33 (permalink)
check these out!

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/fudgetown02.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/prremiums150.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/pix319.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/pic206.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/heidie11.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box1337.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/box1338.jpg

http://theimaginaryworld.com/pix318.jpg
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/09/16 10:43:56 (permalink)
quote:

oh mn, the lickity splits guy is making me sad.

Remember the cut outs on the back of the Fudge Town cookie boxes?

The name of that cookie reminds me of one of the lines that Mae West was able to sneak past the censors. In one of her films, this bit of humor was even more risque than usual, and it was also racist--but the fact that it made it past the censors is the most amazing thing of all.

Ready?

Mae is on the phone with her Chinese Laundryman. She inquires about when he is coming over to pick up the dirty laundry. He answers, "Okay Miss West, I be at your house lickety-split". (I told you that it was racist!) Mae's answer was, "Never mind doing that, just come over and pick up the laundry". Amazing, from several perspectives.
icncs
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/10/08 21:33:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rhyty2

does anyone remember the Burry cookie that came in chocolate and vanilla with smiley faces? what were they called?
yes, they came in a pink glossy box and were called Happy-niks
they were great!
Dr Fildo
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/11/11 09:17:37 (permalink)
I LOVED Fudgetowns. I also remember poking out the fudge in the center and eating it first. My brothers and I talk about those frequently. We all loved 'em. You would think that since Burry went out of business some other cookie company would have bought the rights/recipe for them. Many people fondly recall Burry's Best cookies
octopus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/11/28 15:48:11 (permalink)
Fudetowns were my favorites as a kid, I would not mind getting into a box of them now. I used to nibble arond the center to leave the center for the last bite. Funny as adult i still eat alot of food that way turning it into a circle.
Archway just came out with adouble fudge cookie, they are not too bad. not fudgetowns but an almost acceptable replacement.
groupunderwriter
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/12/21 16:58:19 (permalink)
I grew up on Fudgetowns, Gauchos, Mr. Chips, and later, Burry's Best. Keebler makes a version of the Fudgetown, but, to my absolute horror, I can no longer find the fudge cookie/fudge cream combo. They have awful butter and peanut butter products. How cruel! Gawd, do I miss those Fudgetowns! Brown box, cowboy with lasso drawing.
Salerno
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/12/21 22:32:56 (permalink)
I loved FUDGETOWN cookies they were burry then burry-lu then salerno and as salerno they werent good and then they disappeared .
I chose fudgetowns over chips ahoy chocolate chips, the box was appealing. they tasted great and I absolutely loved poking out the fudge center, I am billionaire gd.
henley365
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2005/12/26 04:07:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Salerno

I loved FUDGETOWN cookies they were burry then burry-lu then salerno and as salerno they werent good and then they disappeared .
I chose fudgetowns over chips ahoy chocolate chips, the box was appealing. they tasted great and I absolutely loved poking out the fudge center, I am billionaire gd.

I remember Fudgetown and Gauchos real well, growing up in NJ in the 60's. I also remember the first Burry's chocolate chip cookies (before Mr. Chips) coming in 4 small sleeves per box -- crunchy, not chewy, cookies....mmmmmm!! I think the box depicted loads of chocolate chips on it. Your history of Burry's to Burry-Lu then to Salerno sounds right to me. The current Girl Scout peanut butter sandwich cookies are the Gauchos, with much less of the taste.

OK, how about Nabisco's Melody Cookies and Marshmallow Sandwiches? Melody Cookies were like chocolate snaps with sugar crystals and the Marshmallow Sandwiches were two Nilla wafers with a sticky marshmallow filling. Blue box with paper cover that you sliced open to get to the two rows of cookies. Sort of a Mallomar without the chocolate.
CookieMonster
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2006/03/01 01:57:58 (permalink)
I grew up eating Fudgetown cookies, and ate them as an adult too, until one day they disappeared. (I used to like to push the chocolate circle in the middle out with my tongue.) I have tried eating chocolate-filled Oreos, but they just aren't the same. The chocolate cream in the Fudgetown cookies was so, so, ....I can't describe the texture. Maybe something like spackle?

I was in Canada about 10 years ago and bought some cookies made by Dare:

http://www.darefoods.com/Products/Cookies/Ultimate/ultimate_milk_chocolate_fudge.aspx

I don't remember if they really tasted like Fudgetown cookies, but if you're desperate, they're worth a true. Perhaps one of our Canadian friends can send some across the boarder! You'll note that Dare also makes something that looks suspiciously like a Mallomar....

I loved Scooter Pies too. Mmmmmm. I have tried Moon Pies, but they just aren't the same....
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 913
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2006/03/05 13:26:49 (permalink)
Here's a bit more Burry's nostalgia

Leni683
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/01/15 15:12:41 (permalink)
The cookie you're thinking of is Gaucho. With an elephant on the box. I remember this because it offered a Mattal Kittles doll if you saved the box tops or proof of purchase seal. I loved Gaucho cookies.
Ginger9708
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 23
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/01/17 16:44:50 (permalink)
I shop at A&P and there is a brand called Dare which has a very similar cookie as fudgetown and its a chocolate fudge sandwich cookie also. they are in a purple package and are very good. They dont keep a great stock and arent always available but when they are I will stock up on them.
Lin
vwgto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/02/02 23:45:16 (permalink)
Burry chocolate chip, those in the longer white package, were the absolute best growing up in NJ. When I used to return to NJ in the 80's, and looked for the stuff you could not find in the South at the time (Taylor Ham, Tastee Cakes, Drakes,...), I would look for Burry cookies - - never found them again. When I first saw Moon Pies in Georgia, I matter-of-factly said, "scooter pies". I loved those things (Moon Pies are not bad either).
rigal
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/03/06 22:03:01 (permalink)

Heavens to Betsey Burry's are good
Best darned cookies in the neighborhood
Slow baking is why their good.
For freshness and taste, you musn't bake in haste.
Nobody hurrys the bakers at Burry's
Get Slooooooow baked Burry's

jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/03/07 21:01:56 (permalink)
I think they used to give these away on Bozo's Circus during the 60's in Chicago.
NCTim
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/03/13 07:54:35 (permalink)
Just finished a bag of Dare Chocolate Fudge sandwich cookies, the closest thing to Fudge Town, and what led me to search online for Fudge Town.

We always used to buy Burry's Assortment, which had six kinds of cookies in it. I now only remember three -- Gaucho, Mr. Chips, and Fudge Town. I think one was a lemon sandwich, but still don't remember more yet. Any ideas
thebigcat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Does anyone remember Burry's Cookies? 2007/03/18 19:33:41 (permalink)
There's more:

So Burry Burry good,
So Burry Burry good.
I oughta know
I'M Betsy Burry
Hurry! Get Burry's!

I also remember Scooter Pie commercials, talking about how they made you pat your tummy. TV commercials usually featured kids, in back of the adult pitchman, hammily patting their tummies while the pitchman spoke.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1