Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
2005Equinox
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2008/04/13 02:57:56 (permalink)
That is true. The quality of Grillins steaks was the same as what I get from Heans and cook myself.
Billhat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2008/04/13 07:22:48 (permalink)
The place on the St Lucie river in Stuart Fl is called the Deck and it is still there as far as I know, just to the north of Rosevelt bridge Rt 1 on the west side I go by it many times a week and it looks open.
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2008/04/13 07:35:36 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tkitna

Let me get this straight. You pay an inflated price for a steak and then you have to cook it yourself? What a concept.

Now if only this idea can be stretched to having the customers wash their own dishes....

mark
Buckshot
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2009/09/25 17:51:35 (permalink)
There was such a place in Knoxville, TN several years ago.  I think it was called "The Butcher Shop" and it was on the Worlds Fair site.  Pretty good steaks!

Buckshot
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2009/10/11 21:39:51 (permalink)
There is also one in Watertown Wisconsin called "Steakfire."

http://www.steakfire.com/

At times in that area during the winter, it can get in the 20's below zero without any windchill. This could be why these places in the North can still hang on and not go under.  I used to grill out even when it got that cold but I found only charcoal would work.  The propane on the gas grill would get so cold that it lost all of the pressure and I could never get a decent flame on the gas grill when it was that cold. Run out the patio door, throw it on the Weber Kettle  and run right back in.  Got a bit cold on feet without shoes though.... Wife and guests though I was nuts but a few adult beverages helped.  But when winter ran Oct till late April, you make due.
bwave
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 231
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2009/10/11 23:12:43 (permalink)
Not to rain on everyones parade here..   but I'm curious as to how sanitary this is?   I mean, you touch the raw meat yourself, do you then put the meat back on the same plate/tray after cooked?   Then you're eating a salad with the same bacteria covered hands, utinsels?   How does this process work?

Oh, I'm sure everyone washes there hands really well before scarfing down the steak that's it! 
NC Cheesehead
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 158
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2009/10/13 14:45:50 (permalink)
bwave

Not to rain on everyones parade here..   but I'm curious as to how sanitary this is?   I mean, you touch the raw meat yourself, do you then put the meat back on the same plate/tray after cooked?   Then you're eating a salad with the same bacteria covered hands, utinsels?   How does this process work?

Oh, I'm sure everyone washes there hands really well before scarfing down the steak that's it! 

Bwave,

It probably isn't 100 percent sure you are not going to keep it 100 percent perfect but I would say they try quite hard.  For example, (at the Steakfire) they would have you pull the steak(s) out on to a plate with a fresh tongs.  Every person would be required to use a fresh one and a waitress stood behind you as you did just to be sure.  Then she would take the tongs away from you after it was done.  Then you would grab fresh tongs from a just washed set as you walk over to the grill.  No different than if you were at a buffet.  After the meat was on the grill, a waitress brings you a fresh plate or platter depending on how many steaks you planned on putting on it after you cooked it.  The problem I saw was what if somebody undercooked the steak and got sick as a result?  I suspect that problem in solved by meat inspectors and hopefully not lawyers.

The best part of the experience was not the steak but the salad presentation.  Prior to cooking your steak, the waitress/waiter brings out a large tray with a salad bowl full of greens and every possible side a salad bar could ever see.  She tosses the salad with all your fixings right in front of you.  And honestly, the steak was very good.  Not the kind you would expect from a high end steak house but respectable for about $16.00
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2009/10/13 14:52:15 (permalink)
We had one in Marquette,Michigan called Steer and Stein, but it closed down a couple years ago. There is one in Escanaba,Michigan  called Hereford and Hops http://www.herefordandhops.com/MI_Dining_GrillYourOwn.aspx
We have never been there, as it seems a bit pricey. The one in Marquette was very good, though, and cheaper!
hipster006
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2009/10/13 16:00:28 (permalink)
there is a place between leesport and reading,pa. called tailgaters that is a grill your own steak house.i haven't been there in some time but i believe it is still open.
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2009/12/23 11:48:44 (permalink)
Yes the Deck is the one I went to. It is truly a Mom & Pop roadside old Florida attraction. bkk
Mike_NZ
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/04 01:06:26 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

The problem I saw was what if somebody undercooked the steak and got sick as a result?  I suspect that problem in solved by meat inspectors and hopefully not lawyers.

It's always been my belief that if you get crook from under-cooking your own meat, you only have yourself to blame.
Chefs have intuition about how meat cooks on the inside, others often don't.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/04 01:48:21 (permalink)
FoodBully

There is a steak house like that here in Little Rock called "The Butcher Shop". I think at one time it was part of a chain. After a move to a new location the emphasis on cooking your own steaks was diminished, although it is still an option.

Phil 3

Part of the "Butcher Shop" chain, there's also one in Dallas in the tourist oriented West End district. You have the option of grilling it yourself or have a cook grill it for you. Personally, it's way too gimmicky for me.

post edited by Twinwillow - 2010/01/04 01:49:38
Billhat
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/04 06:46:58 (permalink)
In Stuart Fl no on the Indian River but The Sait Lucie River, next river over next to the Rosavelt Bridge it is called the Deck.
Billhat
Junior Burger
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/04 06:49:03 (permalink)
The Deck
nobullbob1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/04 07:36:01 (permalink)
There was one in Waikiki, Hawaii in the early 70's. Catch a concert at the "HIC" then walk downtown to grill your own. Their grill was big enough for 10-12 people at a time so you could have some great conversations with people from all over.

If I remember correctly, you had a choice of 5 or 6 cuts of beef, chicken and pork. The grill waitstaff would bring over salad and potato (that's all they offered) and oh yes, they had $3 pitchers of some fruity sangria wine. I'm also remembering that the "Don Ho" place was next door. Boy, that was a long time ago. It must have been fun!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/04 18:44:02 (permalink)
Billhat

The Deck

Is this a chain?  Isn't there a Deck somewhere around Daytona Beach?
Big Kahuna Kooks
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 490
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/06 11:07:13 (permalink)
I don't think so. The Deck is also a small motel. The restaurant is just a small part of it. bkk
Inthewater
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/06 11:16:44 (permalink)
Rube's Steakhouse in Waukee, IA and Montour.

Iowa Beef Steakhouse in Des Moines, IA.

Both great places.  There is a new place in West Des Moines, Caffrey's Steakhouse, i think....it is in a location that was named on CNN as one of the wort places for a business in America, so not putting much stock in that one.

These two have been around for decades.
planojim
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/06 11:26:33 (permalink)
There's one in Allegan, Michigan (between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo) called the Grill House.
http://grillhouse.net/

ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/06 13:36:51 (permalink)
Inthewater

Rube's Steakhouse in Waukee, IA and Montour.

Iowa Beef Steakhouse in Des Moines, IA.

Both great places.  There is a new place in West Des Moines, Caffrey's Steakhouse, i think....it is in a location that was named on CNN as one of the wort places for a business in America, so not putting much stock in that one.

These two have been around for decades.

Iowa Beef Steakhouse was in one of the early editions of RF...
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/06 20:46:28 (permalink)
MiamiDon

Billhat

The Deck

Is this a chain?  Isn't there a Deck somewhere around Daytona Beach?

it's called John A's house, but no ones ever invited
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15333
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/07 12:53:27 (permalink)
Two points to add.

My  better half told me to add her point-of-view regarding the grill-it-yourself concept. While the ambience is 'fun' and casual, she goes 'out to eat' to avoid doing the cooking, so I find myself alone at the grill (with other husbands!) while the ladies seem to enjoy chatting over a drink or two and the big salad bowl that is delivered to the table while we men sweat over the hot coals.  In a sense it is the best of both worlds. She gets to supervise from a distance, and I get to drink a brew or two while playing with the steaks, but indoors in an A/C environment!

I am very pleased to read that the Iowa Beef Steak House is still in operation. Has anyone been there (fairly) recently?  Our last visit was over 10 years ago and the place was looking kinds run-down and shopworn at that time. The food was very good, but the carpeting was really threadbare and the wall decor  was almost at the Level of Louis Muellers Famous Smokey Gym Dining Hall.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/07 14:30:31 (permalink)
I"ve eaten At Captain Ed's in Point Pleasant N.J. where you cook your own "Steak On A Stone" I had a Ribeye with onions and peppers It was delicious!! Cool Place But Packed in the Summer!! they have Artichokes francaice as an appetizer!! Delicious Ive only had it better at one other place!!
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 166
RE: Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/01/13 15:38:34 (permalink)
There was a grill-it-yourself steak place in Beloit, WI that I ate at in December of 2004 but I have not been able to find it through internet searches.  Was this a Steakfire restaurant that is now closed?
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/02/10 03:51:14 (permalink)
NC Cheesehead

The best part of the experience was not the steak but the salad presentation.  Prior to cooking your steak, the waitress/waiter brings out a large tray with a salad bowl full of greens and every possible side a salad bar could ever see.  She tosses the salad with all your fixings right in front of you.

the waitress/waiter brings out a large tray with a salad bowl full of greens and every possible side a salad bar could ever see.  She tosses the salad with all your fixings right in front of you.

In really good restaurants especially some of the high end Italian Restaurants the large bowl the salad was mixed in sat in an even larger bowl of ice, with a small amount of water. The whole experience at that time was called "Romancing the Salad".

It usually consisted of a team with the salad prep person standing behind the waiter, handing him the ingredients one at a time and the waiter spinning the center bowl with one hand while adding the ingredients with the other. They did this all the while keeping up a constant chatter about how the condiments were the freshest in the world, that the tomatoes came from Senior Joe's garden that day, that the onions were chopped just moments ago, and what parts of the world they came from etc, etc. I haven't seen that in a long time, and it was fun to watch. It always seemed they were the best salads I have ever eaten.

Jack

post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/10 04:05:07
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/02/10 04:01:06 (permalink)
By the way we have one here in Springfield (cook your own steakhouse) called  Alexander's it's at the corner of Bruns Lane, & Jefferson and they carry 13 USDA Steaks to choose from. Last time I was there the food was very good.

The next time Brad, or Buddy Roadhouse, Greg, Chicagostyle, or any one comes to town on a Sunday we will go. For those of you with a GPS it's 620 Bruns Lane Springfield, Illinois.

Jack
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/10 04:06:49
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Does anyone remember Grill it Yourself? 2010/02/10 09:15:50 (permalink)
Dr of BBQ

By the way we have one here in Springfield (cook your own steakhouse) called  Alexander's it's at the corner of Bruns Lane, & Jefferson and they carry 13 USDA Steaks to choose from. Last time I was there the food was very good.

Been to the Alexander's in Peoria and was not impressed. The salad bar area was a disaster with food and mositure all over the floor in front of it and a a trail leading away. We had a party of 8 and because of different cooking times and different items cooked, we were rarely all sitting at the table at the same time. The guys in our party all loved it, drinks and hanging around the fire pit. The women not so much and I was the only one who did the fire pit thing, the rest ordered theirs cooked by staff which costs $2 more. Probably one of the worst family celebrations we have had in a restaurant.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1