Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown?

Author
alehrfeld
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2006/09/11 17:32:23 (permalink)

Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown?

Does anyone remember Joy Garden Chinese Restaurant in NYC's Chinatown? My grandparents used to take me there many years ago. They served a dish called Iron Steak, the likes of which I have never tasted again anywhere. The steak was served on a sizzling platter with sliced onions and tomatoes and accompanied by a barbecue sauce that I can still remember. I've never tasted that sauce anywhere else. This is one of my best restaurant memories from childhood.

14 Replies Related Threads

V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/12 18:14:31 (permalink)
    Please put in the heading where you are asking about. SF and NYC both have Chinatowns.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8468
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/12 19:25:37 (permalink)
    ???????? Annie, The Mayor did a quick edit for the Newbie! AL
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/12 20:00:31 (permalink)
    Thanks-was really confused
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/12 20:07:21 (permalink)
    To reply-I was at that restaurant years ago with my parents on a vacation.I always order the same old thing-shrimp chow mein-but my Dad talked me into trying something new.So I ordered orange beef...I have never tasted anything as wonderful as that dish.And I sure havent been able to find any to compare since!!
    alehrfeld
    Junior Burger
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/12 20:29:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

Please put in the heading where you are asking about. SF and NYC both have Chinatowns.

OK, so do you remember "Joy Garden" in either one? ;-)

What is the point of admonishing me for my ommission if you have no recollection of the restaurant in either Chinatown?
    alehrfeld
    Junior Burger
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/12 21:08:18 (permalink)
    My memory of Joy Garden goes back 35 years! When where you there with your parents on vacation?!
    quote:
    Originally posted by annpeeples

To reply-I was at that restaurant years ago with my parents on a vacation.I always order the same old thing-shrimp chow mein-but my Dad talked me into trying something new.So I ordered orange beef...I have never tasted anything as wonderful as that dish.And I sure havent been able to find any to compare since!!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/12 21:19:15 (permalink)
    At least that long ago-I was about 10-so that makes it 37 years ago!!!
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5091
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/12 23:39:01 (permalink)
    quote:

Did I miss something here???? He says in his original post, "in NYC's Chinatown".
    I have been there too. Too many years ago to mention. We used to go to Sam Wo
    on Mott Street. (On the curve). New Yorker's will know what I mean about 'the curve". They also had Chinese food "to die for".
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/13 09:00:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:

Did I miss something here???? He says in his original post, "in NYC's Chinatown".
    on Mott Street. (On the curve). New Yorker's will know what I mean about 'the curve". They also had Chinese food "to die for".

Yes, you missed post # 3...thanks Al
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5091
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/13 11:15:43 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:

Yes, you missed post # 3...thanks Al

Thanks, Al.....I must getting dyslexic in my old age.
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/09/17 19:22:00 (permalink)
    I know I've walked by Joy Garden in NYC's Chinatown...the name is awfully familiar. I may have eaten there too as my family, living in Brooklyn at the time, often went "into the city" to "eat Chinese." The place that does stick in my memory was a Cantonese place (weren't they all in the 50's?) called Lees of Chinatown. On the second floor of a building on the corner of Mott and Pell Streets. Wonderful food--at least I thought so at the time. I recall a big sign inside: Please feel free to inspect our kitchen. Sure don't see that anymore. At the time, people were questionning the cleanliness of Asian restaurants so hence the invite.

More recently, I recall having mind-blowing (I'm dating myself) Chinese meals at Bo Bo, a tiny place on Pell Street. No menu...they suggested what to have. Incredible but, sadly, gone years ago.
    10hands
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/12/01 16:51:42 (permalink)
    I remember walking past Joy Garden with my parents, But I don't believe we ever ate there.
    Our favorite of all times was HONG FAT on Mott St.
    We would usually meet my father after work on Friday's and head downtown for a "Cheap" meal in Chinatown.
    We would have to wait on line to get in and we were always seated wit strangers at the table and of course we were served tea in a glass not a cup. So So Very Sad that alot of these great restaurants are now gone.
    Sneetch
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/12/06 19:14:45 (permalink)
    Ciaoman, what a blast from the past it was to read someone's recollection of BoBo! i ate there when i was around 6 or 7...my parents wanted to introduce my siblings and i to authentic chinese food, pretty advanced of them in the 60's...i wish i could remember the name of the place on east broadway we used to go to in the 70's and 80's - at the easternmost end of the block on the north side, and mostly szechuan - amazing sizzling scallops with watercress!
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Does anyone remember "Joy Garden"in NYC-Chinatown? 2006/12/07 11:59:06 (permalink)
    HONG FAT was a great place for great, very low-cost food; I remember it well. Also, a place called 1-2-3, which was at 123 Canal. Like many other restaurants in the neighborhood, down a flight of stairs with no sign.
    There are still many great restaurants in Chinatown (NYC, OK?), Follow your nose.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1