Does cash only keep you away?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3501
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/23 13:13:16 (permalink)
chefbuba

I don't understand why people don't carry cash.
Are you afraid of being robbed, loosing it, spending it just because it's there??
I see people in the grocery store buying a yogurt and a bottle of water and busting out the amx or other plastic for a $1.70.
Is it that inconvenient to keep $20-50- 100 in your pocket?

Yes, in fact, I am afraid of being robbed.  The places and hours I work leave me walking by myself in unsavory areas of town, where if you're lucky all the person walking up to you wants to do is bum a cigarette.  They've learned over the years I don't have cash and can't help them, but before they did there were quite a few scary situations that could have easily ended badly.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/23 14:41:16 (permalink)
MiamiDon

Glenn1234 
  What happened to the days when Roadfood meant a simple, inexpensive meal at a BBQ joint or clam shack where you paid cash only?   Now, we see reviews for exensive fancy places like Peter Luger's, etc.   What happened? 

Jane & Michael Stern say it best:

Roadfood means great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.

It is non-franchised, sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists.

Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu.

It is our intention that Roadfood.com will lead the way to:
  • great local color
  • the best regional specialties
  • unforgettable diners, celestial barbecue, and four-star pig-outs galore!

There is nothing there restricting it to downscale dining.

Calling wanderingjew!

There's nothing more to be said that hasn't been said before.
Don, I think you covered everything, I couldn't have said it better myself!
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/23 17:25:23 (permalink)
In FAST FOOD anyway, "cash only" can lure me in.  I hate being lined up at a fast food joint waiting for the counter person to run a credit card charge on somebody ahead of me's $5 meal.  There should be a $10 minimum on credit and debit card use anywhere that has a line.
BT
Filet Mignon
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/23 17:33:23 (permalink)
felix4067

Yes, in fact, I am afraid of being robbed.  The places and hours I work leave me walking by myself in unsavory areas of town, where if you're lucky all the person walking up to you wants to do is bum a cigarette.  They've learned over the years I don't have cash and can't help them, but before they did there were quite a few scary situations that could have easily ended badly.

Seriously:  What's to keep them from sticking a gun or knife in your ribs, marching you to the nearest ATM and telling you to withdraw some money for them or else?  ("And by the way, hand over that watch . . . .")

I usually carry about $40 in cash, mostly 'cause that's an option at most ATMs but also because use of a debit card for some small purchases is silly and because if somebody demands my $40, I can afford to hand it over (and it may be enough to satisfy them whereas a few bucks wouldn't).

Anyway, when I want a hot dog I can pay cash and I think requiring cash for that sort of thing isn't unreasonable.
ces1948
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1510
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/23 17:44:48 (permalink)
Depending on the system being used (i.e. no signature required) a debit or credit transaction can be just as fast as cash, making change etc. I know that BK, McD use those systems.
BT

In FAST FOOD anyway, "cash only" can lure me in.  I hate being lined up at a fast food joint waiting for the counter person to run a credit card charge on somebody ahead of me's $5 meal.  There should be a $10 minimum on credit and debit card use anywhere that has a line.

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 566
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/23 21:46:26 (permalink)
wanderingjew

MiamiDon

Glenn1234 
What happened to the days when Roadfood meant a simple, inexpensive meal at a BBQ joint or clam shack where you paid cash only?   Now, we see reviews for exensive fancy places like Peter Luger's, etc.   What happened? 

Roadfood means great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.

It is non-franchised, sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists.

Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu.

• great local color

Calling wanderingjew!

Miami Don and WanderingJew - 

Thanks for addressing this concern.  I had been wondering about it for a while.   I'm probably a traditionalist and go more by the original definition of RoadFood.  I distinctly remember in one of my earlier Roadfood editions (in the 1980s), the Sterns put a $10  limit on meals.  I remember it being a big deal when they made an exception for Twin Oaks in Cranstoin, RI.  (By the way, WanderingJew, I'm from near your area.  I grew up near Wickford, RI). 
Anyway, obviously there is inflation and that 1980s $10 limit might be $18 or $20 today, but certainly no Peter Luger.  

Here is quote  from the COVER of the 1992 edition of "Roadfood": 

"The all-new, updated and expanded edition of the classic guide to America's best diners, small-town cafes, BBQ joints, and other very special eateries serving great, INEXPENSIVE regional food."   ---  (CAPS added by me for emphasis). 

Inflation changes prices, but "inexpensive" is considered inexpensive for whatever time period it falls.  Something like peter Luger's was expensive for the 1970s back then, and it's expensive today for today's prices. 

Just found my newer 2008 edition ......

From the back cover of the 2008 edition: 

"An extended tour of the MOST AFFORDABLE, most enjoyable dining options along America's highways and backroads, Roadfood offers enticing, satisfying mealtime alternatives for chain restaurant-weary travelers.  The Sterns provide vivid descriptions and clear regional maps that direct people to the best lobster shacks on the East coast; the ultimate barbecue joints in the South; the most sizzling steakhouses in the Midwest; and dozens of topnotch diners, hotdog stands, ice cream parlors, and other terrific spots to stop for a bite countrywide."

So, did the Sterns change the their definition of what is Roadfood?   If so, when did they make this change.  When was "INEXPESIVE" (from "Roadfood" 1992 ed.)  and "MOST AFFORDABLE" (from "Raodfood" 2008 ed.)  dropped as part of the definition of Roadfood?    Apparently in 2008, they still went by the old definition, or they wouldn't have bothered using the words "most affordable"  on the back cover. 

Also, if Roadfood is not "down-scale" and relatively inexpensive food, then what resatuarants are NOT Roadood other than chains?    If expensive, upscale places are included now, then what non-chain restaurants do NOT qualify to be called Roadfood now?    It seems almost everything but chains could be included now.  ??      

To me, Roadfood had been a roadside diner, BBQ joint, or clam shack, etc.  just off the highway, or down a country road.   With the new definition, it seems it can be fancy-pants city places that can run north of $200 per couple.   What's NOT covered  as roadfood besides chains  now?   

Thanks.

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/01/23 21:59:38
BT
Filet Mignon
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/23 22:09:11 (permalink)
ces1948

Depending on the system being used (i.e. no signature required) a debit or credit transaction can be just as fast as cash, making change etc. I know that BK, McD use those systems.

I'm specifically thinking of Burger King.  I realize it COULD BE as fast as cash, but not the way my  BK does it--first of all, the "machine" is over by the drive-in window so the kid has to walk over there, credit card in hand, to process it.  Second, half the time seems like the system is "down"or "delayed" or "F"ed up.  It is not as quick as paying with cash in hand that you've already fished out of your pocket because you are getting the same thing you always get and know how much it cost (me).

BT
Filet Mignon
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/23 22:13:03 (permalink)
Glenn1234
the Sterns put a $10  limit on meals.  I remember it being a big deal when they made an exception for Twin Oaks in Cranstoin, RI.  (By the way, WanderingJew, I'm from near your area.  I grew up near Wickford, RI).  
Anyway, obviously there is inflation and that 1980s $10 limit might be $18 or $20 today

This would rule out whole categories of food starting with New York Deli.  In San Francisco or New York, I'd even have trouble staying under that for Thai or Indian food with tip (impossible with a beer).
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/23 22:39:02 (permalink)
BT

felix4067

Seriously:  What's to keep them from sticking a gun or knife in your ribs, marching you to the nearest ATM and telling you to withdraw some money for them or else?  ("And by the way, hand over that watch . . . .")

Because there aren't any ATMs.  Because it's always the same people who are wanting money in the same areas of town, and they know me by now.  Because that's really beyond their "I need some crack and I need it now" mentality.

Not that it couldn't happen, but the places I'm talking about, your odds of getting safely to where you're going increase exponentially if you do not carry cash.
joclyn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 360
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 00:02:13 (permalink)
MellowRoast

Merchants are prohibited by V/MC from setting minimum purchase amounts and want to know when it happens.  Example:  http://www.mastercard.us/support/merchant-violations.html

part of the banking/credit card reform law is that they CAN charge a minimum fee of $10.00 for credit card purchases.  debit cards, on the other hand, they are not allowed to demand a minimum purchase.  law went into effect in july 2010.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4583
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 00:07:06 (permalink)
This requirement will stop me from eating at a mediocre place, but not a good one

I would have gone to Luger's and DiFara's even had they required me to pay in gold dust or silver ingots

But I won't make a side trip to an ATM for average grub.  Too many other choices out there, most of which accept credit

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 01:46:04 (permalink)
ces1948 Also as far as fee-free ATM's go that's a great idea but make sure your bank doesn't ding you for a fee because you used a "foreign" ATM. My bank is fee happy and charges $2 if you use an ATM that doesn't belong to them.
Also I read on another thread that the new banking regulations permit merchants to set a minimum transaction amount of $10 on credit cards, but not debit cards.
They can't ding me as they are a credit union, not a bank. 

I guess it all does come down to the food.

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8363
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 05:46:46 (permalink)
Aimee-, I will always happily pay cash at Jimmy's Grotto for a ponza rotta!!!
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 681
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 09:20:11 (permalink)
It's not a deterrent for me, since places that only accept cash are really, really common up here in rural NH.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 09:46:54 (permalink)
Glenn1234

wanderingjew

MiamiDon

Glenn1234 

• great local color

Calling wanderingjew!

Miami Don and WanderingJew - 

Thanks for addressing this concern.  I had been wondering about it for a while.   I'm probably a traditionalist and go more by the original definition of RoadFood.  I distinctly remember in one of my earlier Roadfood editions (in the 1980s), the Sterns put a $10  limit on meals.  I remember it being a big deal when they made an exception for Twin Oaks in Cranstoin, RI.  (By the way, WanderingJew, I'm from near your area.  I grew up near Wickford, RI). 
Anyway, obviously there is inflation and that 1980s $10 limit might be $18 or $20 today, but certainly no Peter Luger.  

Here is quote  from the COVER of the 1992 edition of "Roadfood": 

"The all-new, updated and expanded edition of the classic guide to America's best diners, small-town cafes, BBQ joints, and other very special eateries serving great, INEXPENSIVE regional food."   ---  (CAPS added by me for emphasis). 

Inflation changes prices, but "inexpensive" is considered inexpensive for whatever time period it falls.  Something like peter Luger's was expensive for the 1970s back then, and it's expensive today for today's prices. 

Just found my newer 2008 edition ......

From the back cover of the 2008 edition: 

"An extended tour of the MOST AFFORDABLE, most enjoyable dining options along America's highways and backroads, Roadfood offers enticing, satisfying mealtime alternatives for chain restaurant-weary travelers.  The Sterns provide vivid descriptions and clear regional maps that direct people to the best lobster shacks on the East coast; the ultimate barbecue joints in the South; the most sizzling steakhouses in the Midwest; and dozens of topnotch diners, hotdog stands, ice cream parlors, and other terrific spots to stop for a bite countrywide."

So, did the Sterns change the their definition of what is Roadfood?   If so, when did they make this change.  When was "INEXPESIVE" (from "Roadfood" 1992 ed.)  and "MOST AFFORDABLE" (from "Raodfood" 2008 ed.)  dropped as part of the definition of Roadfood?    Apparently in 2008, they still went by the old definition, or they wouldn't have bothered using the words "most affordable"  on the back cover. 

Also, if Roadfood is not "down-scale" and relatively inexpensive food, then what resatuarants are NOT Roadood other than chains?    If expensive, upscale places are included now, then what non-chain restaurants do NOT qualify to be called Roadfood now?    It seems almost everything but chains could be included now.  ??      

To me, Roadfood had been a roadside diner, BBQ joint, or clam shack, etc.  just off the highway, or down a country road.   With the new definition, it seems it can be fancy-pants city places that can run north of $200 per couple.   What's NOT covered  as roadfood besides chains  now?   

Thanks.

Glenn

Glenn,

I'm very familiar with Wickford- Have you ever been to Duffy's Tavern? It's definitely roadfood worthy.

To address your question
When I first purchased the 1987 edition of Roadfood back in 1990,  the impression that the book left for me was that it was a book that celebrated America's regional cuisine. And the reason why is because the Stern's mentioned it several times in the book, therefore I  never gave much thought about the price of the meal. I know the early editions included places like Johnny's Cafe in Omaha and The Buckhorn Exchange in Denver- which are  steak houses and are far from inexpensive. In addition I'm almost 99% certain that the early editions included Joe's Stone Crab in Miami which price wise makes Twin Oaks look like a taco stand.  So to me these type of restaurants have always been included as part of the "roadfood family.

My opinion differs from yours, in that recently I think there has been less concentration of regional food and more of a concentration of scaled down diners, drive ins and dives as well as carts and stands.  I think this is evident by the roadfood professional forum being flooded with hot dog carts. So I guess everyone looks at roadfood differently. Check out some of my trip reports and let me know what you think. I have never included a restaurant that I didn't think was roadfood so perhaps some of my choices might surprise you.
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 10:28:06 (permalink)
I'm not against places that only take cash and that's fine by me if they want to but I am in the crowd that just never has any cash on me.  And the reason is that I almost never need it.  My check is direct deposited, all my bills are paid online and I can monitor my balance online (which I do daily).  I haven't written a check or made an entry into a ledger in years.  You can go buy something at the store and then instantly see that transaction online.  So there's really no need to "balance a checkbook" anymore as far as I can see. 

There are a couple of places here in Columbus that I will go to that are cash only (Wildflower Cafe, Da Levee) but I know I have to prepare ahead of time.  But if I'm out and there is a place I don't know anything about or I haven't been to before I will probably skip it as there are too many other choices where I can use a card.
kishkaeater
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 11:39:23 (permalink)
I really think that everyone should have at least $20 at all times.

I've heard that you can get hurt if you don't have cash when robbed.  Really!
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 11:43:39 (permalink)
kishkaeater
I've heard that you can get hurt if you don't have cash when robbed.  Really!

In some places, that's true.  If you have nothing it makes them mad and they'll retaliate.  Around here (at least where I go) that isn't true, but it is other places.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 660
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/24 12:03:28 (permalink)
kishkaeater... I've heard that you can get hurt if you don't have cash when robbed.  Really!
Alas, it's a sad truth you can get hurt/killed if you DO have cash and surrender it without pause.

On topic, when I know I'm going to cash only (e.g. Villa Di roma in Philly) I bring cash.

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/25 00:47:14 (permalink)
annpeeples

Aimee-, I will always happily pay cash at Jimmy's Grotto for a ponza rotta!!!
What I love best about Jimmy's is they will serve you @ 10 @ night in your PJ's and take half a roll of quarters & some singles as payment. Also they have an ATM right there. I'll take a Ponza, no sauce, cheese, black olives & mushrooms. I wonder if they still deliver???

Jalisco's on Whiterock used to be the same way, they were open til 4am. Miss them now that they're called La Estacion, raised their prices & now you can't walk in in your pj's to pick up a carryout of chicken nachos without the people at the bar staring at you.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13498
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/25 00:56:50 (permalink)
Cash is a deterrent to me as I do not always have cash.  I try to be a card only person.

I sorta wonder how long it will be before we become a cashless nation?  Perhaps never but the trend is certainly heading that way.

Food City is my neighborhood grocery.  They do not take AMX so I do a good portion of my shopping at Krogers or Walmart.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
BT
Filet Mignon
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/25 02:34:22 (permalink)
Sundancer7

Cash is a deterrent to me as I do not always have cash.  I try to be a card only person.

I sorta wonder how long it will be before we become a cashless nation?  Perhaps never but the trend is certainly heading that way.

Food City is my neighborhood grocery.  They do not take AMX so I do a good portion of my shopping at Krogers or Walmart.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I'm not sure how old you are, Paul, and you may even be younger than me, but your post reminded me that my Mom's generation was in many ways the opposite.  Mom NEVER used credit or debit cards to buy food.  She had macular degeneration and couldn't see so when I took her to the supermarket she pulled out a wad of twenties and waved it at the clerk, letting him or her grab the appropriate number and hand over change.  Mom always had those twenties because she went to the bank and got $200 cash whenever she thought the wad was getting inadequate.

I begged her to use the debit card I insisted she have but she wouldn't.  Occasionally if I were with her she'd say something like, "You want to use that card thing?" and let me fish it out of her purse if I were fast enough.

Trips to restaurants were similar.  She usually wanted to pay although after my Dad died and his pension got cut in half, both her children had substantially higher incomes.  But she'd still pull out the wad of twenties, wave it at me, and say, "Take what you need,"  (she thought a man should always pay).
post edited by BT - 2011/01/25 02:36:35
agmccall
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/26 13:24:19 (permalink)
Locally, cash/check only will not keep me away as I know that in advance.  But if I am on the road somwhere and I am looking for food, and don't have alot of cash in my pocket, I will usually check the front door, if there are not visa/mc/amex emblems I just move on.

Accepting a CC is a convenience for our customers, if you choose not to you really have no idea how much business you are losing.

Al
ardee
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 131
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/01/29 17:20:08 (permalink)
A provision of the financial reform bill that passed in July 2010 is that store owners are now legally allowed to not accept a credit card charge for less than $10.  Until then the federal Electronic Fund Transfer Act allowed payment networks (the credit card companies) to force merchants to accept amounts as low as 1 cent - the new limit is $10.

Let’s say you have a sign next to the cash register that says “Minimum Credit Card Charge $10.”  Prior to July 21st, 2010, you would have been violating both Visa’s, MasterCard’s, and American Express's merchant agreement, and could face heavy fines from the card issuers if you refused to accept a smaller payment and the customer reported it.  After July 21st, 2010, the merchant doesn’t have to worry about a customer ratting them out, because the issuers can’t demand it.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5421
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/02/06 00:25:36 (permalink)
I use my debit card 97% of the time. Even for really small purchases. We have a local Rx that doesn't take plastic. The don't get my business. The Rx around the corner does.

Until 3 or 4 years ago WH, around me anyways, didn't take plastic. Then they installed an ATM machine.  About a year later they they started taking plastic directly.
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/02/06 13:36:23 (permalink)
If I happen to stop in a place that accepts only cash, I'm usually out of luck. I typically carry less that $20.00 on me because I spend cash more freely than I use cards. Does it keep me out of places? No. I have only two places I frequent that accept only cash and I come prepared. I do think its a pain in the butt to have to stop at the ATM first...I'm using the card anyway, just not where I'm eating.
KurtSara
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/02/06 20:21:48 (permalink)
Cosmos

If I happen to stop in a place that accepts only cash, I'm usually out of luck. I typically carry less that $20.00 on me because I spend cash more freely than I use cards. Does it keep me out of places? No. I have only two places I frequent that accept only cash and I come prepared. I do think its a pain in the butt to have to stop at the ATM first...I'm using the card anyway, just not where I'm eating.

self control
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/07/11 10:41:10 (permalink)
Posted by Wanderingjew on 1/24/11 :
<<<...."Glenn,
I'm very familiar with Wickford- Have you ever been to Duffy's Tavern? It's definitely roadfood worthy."....>>> 

Wanderingjew -
Sorry for the VERY late reply.  I have been on a nearly 6 month hiatus from this forum.    Answering your question ..... I have been to Duffy's Tavern in Wickford several times.  I lived just a few miles away from Duffy's for 22 years.  Duffy's is not amongst my top choices, but it was always pretty good.    A little south of Duffy's, down U.S. 1,  is Oak Hill Tavern.  They have had a great comeback in the past few years, and worth a try.   I am guesstimating that they are about 3/4 of a mile to a mile south of Duffy's.  

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/07/11 10:46:23
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/07/11 12:58:21 (permalink)
wanderingjew
Glenn,

I'm very familiar with Wickford- Have you ever been to Duffy's Tavern? It's definitely roadfood worthy.

To address your question
When I first purchased the 1987 edition of Roadfood back in 1990,  the impression that the book left for me was that it was a book that celebrated America's regional cuisine. And the reason why is because the Stern's mentioned it several times in the book, therefore I  never gave much thought about the price of the meal. I know the early editions included places like Johnny's Cafe in Omaha and The Buckhorn Exchange in Denver- which are  steak houses and are far from inexpensive. In addition I'm almost 99% certain that the early editions included Joe's Stone Crab in Miami which price wise makes Twin Oaks look like a taco stand.  So to me these type of restaurants have always been included as part of the "roadfood family.

My opinion differs from yours, in that recently I think there has been less concentration of regional food and more of a concentration of scaled down diners, drive ins and dives as well as carts and stands.  I think this is evident by the roadfood professional forum being flooded with hot dog carts. So I guess everyone looks at roadfood differently. Check out some of my trip reports and let me know what you think. I have never included a restaurant that I didn't think was roadfood so perhaps some of my choices might surprise you.

My 1980 Roadfood & Goodfood has Joe's Stone Crab in it, for what it's worth.  It's not in the 1977 RoadfoodPeter Luger only appears to be in the 1997 Eat Your Way Across the USA and on this web site.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Does cash only keep you away? 2011/07/11 13:31:57 (permalink)

Miami Don  -  

One of the best deals at Joe's Stone crabs is their 1/2 chicken for $5.99 at Joe's Take Away, their take-out section of the restaurant.  Great chicken, and it's one of South Beach's "hidden deals".    BTW, being you're in Miami, do you follow Sef Gonzales'  "Burger Beast" website?  Love that site, as well as his reports on the food trucks.  The night-time food truck "courts", where several food trucks gather are not to be missed. 

Glenn

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1