Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 749
2003/07/17 14:23:33 (permalink)

Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You?

Does it bother you when an establishment serves Pepsi instead of Coke? Or vice versa? Or as does the fact it is cold and wet the only thing that matters? MY answer: Maybe! It all depends on the kind of food served at the place: IMHO Coke definitely goes better with burgers,dogs and most fried foods,whilst the sweeter Pepsi and sweet tea SEEM to go better with barbecue and anything with a tomato sauce...

32 Replies Related Threads

ocdreamr
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 14:33:21 (permalink)
    Definitely, a lot of the places in one county near me now serve Pepsi (it's a contract thing) & I don't like it. I have to have diet soda to begin with & diet pepsi really tastes yech! For the same reason If I ask for ice tea I need it to be plain, no sugar. Unfortunately lately a lot of places here are offering flavored teas & they automatically sweeten them.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 14:37:17 (permalink)
    Lou, I think it's the mood you're in when you go into a place. Sometimes I just want an ice cold frosted draft beer w/ my meal . . .sometimes a fizzy coke or pepsi w/ crushed ice. But after having lived in the South for quite a while, I LOVE that sweet iced tea w/ lemon for almost every meal- year round! And it seems as though only the roadfood type places make it right. I still can't get those Yankee (and So. Florida) restaurants to serve it. It's funny now, but my Mom in PA ONLY served ice tea from Memorial Day through Labor Day, no matter how hot it was before or after, I thought it really was a seasonal or legal thing.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 15:35:51 (permalink)
    We have rather broad tastes when it comes to the beverage of choice. Tea first..then Carbonated Cola, then a bunch of other possibilities including ICE COLD Milk (at breakfast).
    I prefer sweet tea over plain, and Pepsi over Coke if tea isn't available. But as said above temperature and freshness makes a big difference. Last week we had some raspberry-lemonade with a meal. It was great, Long on strong lemon flavor with a sweeter aftertaste of the berry. We are messing with that combination here at home now..haven't got the blend right yet, but will find it.
    For Summer I think those SONIC Slushes, especially the strawberry-lime or strawberry-lemon are the best of all.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 15:44:33 (permalink)
    This may not answer your question but I like having what "most customers" of a restaurant have. This is particularly true in roadfood establishments that I stop into. If it's a Dr. Pepper-then I'll take one, if it's a Lone Star-I'll have one (or more)...you get my point.
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 15:58:14 (permalink)
    I hate to sound like one of the dreaded foodcops, but I would much rather eat my calories than drink them. Let's say I am at an establishment where free refils are given. And let's say that I am eating salty, greasy roadfood of any variety. I could easily go thru 5 of those large plastic glasses that places use. If I were to drink Coke or Pepsi or sweetened tea, that could be 1000 calories right there just in my beverages. I'd much rather use those 1000 calories for a huge dessert with whipped cream than for sugar in my soft drink. So, I drink Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi, or Diet anything when they don't have Coke or Pepsi, and I will drink unsweetened iced tea and possibly use some Equal if I want it sweet. Sure, I like the taste of sugared soft drinks better, but this is my compromise. Because it bears repeating again - I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. Anyone agree?
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 15:59:28 (permalink)
    My co-workers and I rate our various lunch haunts on the merits of the ice tea.

There is nothing worse that some barely colored water passed off as tea, or worse yet that horrible peachy, rasberry tea.

I like my tea plain and strong. Luby's cafeterias in my area consistently make the best tea.

I'll take the pepsi if I'm in the mood, but I like water too!

My husband drinks his 3 cups-of-sugar-to-a-gallon, 6 family style tea bag, double boiled tea 24/7, 365. I think it should be classified as a weapon.
    Oneiron339
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 16:14:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

My co-workers and I rate our various lunch haunts on the merits of the ice tea.

There is nothing worse that some barely colored water passed off as tea, or worse yet that horrible peachy, rasberry tea.

I like my tea plain and strong. Luby's cafeterias in my area consistently make the best tea.

I'll take the pepsi if I'm in the mood, but I like water too!

My husband drinks his 3 cups-of-sugar-to-a-gallon, 6 family style tea bag, double boiled tea 24/7, 365. I think it should be classified as a weapon.
    Hey LS! What's that sweet tea recipe?
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 16:40:04 (permalink)
    Last summer, on a NC/SC/VA barbecue run, we were introduced to Sweet Tea. While I certainly increased my daily calories from drinks by about 1000% (usually Diet Coke or Pepsi everywhere else), it was worth it---even the sweet tea tummyaches. I'd often get two or three glasses with each meal...and long for it now. Good stuff! You can't get Sweet Tea anywhere North of the Mason-Dixon.
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 16:40:59 (permalink)
    I've had this conversation more than once:

"I'd like a Coke, please."

"Is Pepsi OK?"

"No thanks, just water then."

Lone Star
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 17:04:27 (permalink)
    Oneiron -

Get a gallon pitcher and pour in three or four cups of sugar.

Fill a regular sized saucepan with water and add 6 family-size teabags (Luzianne or Lipton) and bring to a boil.

Let it steep for a few minutes, and pour the hot tea into the pitcher, leaving tea bags in the pan. Stir to melt the sugar.

Fill the saucepan again and bring to a boil with the same teabags, and let steep a few minutes, then pour into the pitcher.

I accept no responsiblity for any insomnia, or any other sugar/caffiene rush complications.

Not thinking, I once drank three glasses of the stuff one evening, and did laundry and cleaned house until 6am.
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 18:47:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kangolpimp

I would much rather eat my calories than drink them. I'd much rather use those 1000 calories for a huge dessert with whipped cream than for sugar in my soft drink. So, I drink Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi, or Diet anything when they don't have Coke or Pepsi, and I will drink unsweetened iced tea and possibly use some Equal if I want it sweet. Sure, I like the taste of sugared soft drinks better, but this is my compromise. Because it bears repeating again - I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. Anyone agree?

My sentiments exactly. It's why I'm a total unsweet-tea with lemon addict--I'd rather have dessert! Although I'm not a fan of diet drinks--I try to avoid ingesting chemicals if at all possible. I think the only time I ever have sugared soda is when I split a cherry Coke or Dr. Pepper with my husband at a movie.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 19:29:33 (permalink)
    Sweet Tea......Ice Cold Whole Milk.......Soda, Pepsi or Coke, Dr Pepper Root Beer then water is my list. Lemonaid every once in a while.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 19:48:50 (permalink)
    Back when I was in college at East Central Junior College in Decatur, Mississippi, I was on the food plan when entitled me to have all three meals at the college eatery. I was the usual stuff and back then, it did not include pizza which probably was not invented there yet. It was mostly 1960's stuff like meatloaf,

The result of this is after each meal in the evening we would take a short walk downtown Decatur which consisted of two blocks of college necessities and proceded to "Pearls", the only other place in town to eat besides the college cafeteria. I would always get a Coke on the spot as Diet Coke had not yet been invented. It was a great sensational burp that relieved the cafeteria crap that I had paid for.

In addition, Pearls had the best pecan pie I had ever had. She baked them fresh daily since pecans were ubiquitous around the area. Perhaps it was the time, but I have never experienced pecan pie like that since.

The thread and post regarding the drink brought back these memories and the purpose of the drink.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/17 20:47:20 (permalink)
    In the South, of course, all dark colas are referred to as "Coke". When I was younger, dinner at my grandmother's house were interesting. My grandmother was a dyed-in-the-wool Coca-Cola drinker. My mom rebelled early and went to the dark side of Pepsi. At the dinner table, the two bottles would sit side by side in a line of demarcation, each barely acknowledged by the opposing imbiber. My brother and I once switched by grandmother's Coke with a Pepsi...thinking she wouldn't know the difference. She did and She was mad!! We speculated after that incident that she was actually addicted to the stuff and had first imbibed it in the early days when it actually contained cocaine. Whenever I'm in my uncle's house (grandma's old house), I drink Coca-Cola out of loyalty.
    Linda Gebhardt
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 00:00:59 (permalink)
    I don't care for Pepsi. I am a Diet Coke, hot tea, or ice coffee with lots of milk in it drinker.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 09:50:51 (permalink)
    I got tired of spending the extra mark up of ice tea and not always being happy with what I was served, I just drink water with any meal I eat out. The food is what I go for, drink doesn't matter.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 10:22:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by kland01s

The food is what I go for, drink doesn't matter.

Man, I envy you! I love my wine with dinner in the evening!
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 11:06:21 (permalink)
    I rarely drink any sort of alcohol, so for me it's Coke, good cold milk or water. No Pepsi...COKE.
    McGriff
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 13:21:00 (permalink)
    So much here about Coke vs Pepsi. When I go out I usually order water. At home I drink what ever was on sale at the store that week, be it Pepsi or Coke. I read where the author Alexie Sherman described Indian tribes as being either Pepsi tribes or Coke tribes. There was a study I saw that was interesting and showed by state what people call their carbonated beverage, whether it was "soda," "pop," or "a coke." Growing up we always called it "pop."
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 14:04:45 (permalink)
    I typically don't do coke or pepsi, and when I have to I don't care. when it comes to beer and wine? Well there's an important decision!
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 14:19:12 (permalink)
    I'm a (Diet) Pepsi person, as I wrote on another topic, but I'll often take Diet Coke if that's what's offered, as it more often is, in my experience. I often like wine with dinner, depending on what I'm having, but rarely order it out due to the insane markups. I suppose Bass is my favorite mass-marketed beer, but I'll drink most anything happily - I'm not too picky with beer! I don't typically drink it with dinner, though. Mostly, if there is something interesting offered - a local cream soda or root beer - I'll go with that.

JL
    Lone Star
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 15:45:49 (permalink)
    The only time one specific drink will do, is with barbeque. Have to have Big Red or it just ain't right.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 16:03:48 (permalink)
    You're dead on - Big Red just ain't right. ;0)

I don't understand Red soda at all - I ordered one when I moved to the south, clearly expecting cherry or berry flavor. No such luck. Ptuii. I'd rather drink from the spittoon.

My Pet Peeve is restaurants that have one diet soda selection among 12 regular sodas; I get really bored with diet cola, and would love a diet 7up; it's cold, crisp, food-friendly, and a lot more exciting than Yet Another Tap Water. When I still drank sugared soda as a matter of course, I'd drink Tonic Water or Collins Mix like a man possessed. I like strong flavors and lots of bright fruit acids without a lot of corresponding sugar.

I like wine with dinner, usually lighter reds (Rhones, anyone?), roses and whites. Big Chewy Californian Cabs and Merlots are overpriced, sold too young, and generally uninteresting to me. Restaurants with "Unusual Whites" on their wine lists get big kudos from me (and lots of repeat business).

Eric
    Lone Star
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/18 16:25:13 (permalink)
    You are right Eric, must be a regional/cultural thing. I don't ever drink it with anything else.
    Oneiron339
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/22 11:12:00 (permalink)
    All I can say LS is that I hope they have sweet tea in DFW next week, cause I'll be there. I'll save the beer for the evenings. Masseys, Angelos, Sonny Bryans, Snuffys, etc., here I come!
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/22 16:37:13 (permalink)
    I like unsweetened iced tea or hot black coffee (or water) with any food. Have more trouble getting my unsweetened iced tea (a number of places have only sweetened tea) than with getting any preferred brand of cola. At times I like a cola (and am not really that specific as to brand) with a sandwich or burger, but generally prefer colas (or other soft drinks) just to drink alone rather than with any food.
    jlobough
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/22 17:16:18 (permalink)
    I have to say that my drink of choice is Diet Pepsi. I wouldn't refuse Diet Coke if that we're the only diet drink choice, but if a place has Diet Pepsi, I will actively choose it over a place that has Diet Coke.

It makes me a bit eccentric, but we all have our certain quirks. That's what makes us interesting.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/22 20:39:05 (permalink)
    I am also a big ice tea drinker, just slightly sweetened with lemon. When I do have cola, it's Coke only... Persi's too sweet for me, although I do like the new vanilla Coke.
    BBQ Barney
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Does the Beverage Served Make a Difference to You? 2003/07/22 22:06:19 (permalink)
    Another vote for unsweetened iced tea---but never from a soda fountain. We find it increasingly hard to find brewed tea on the road, what with the advent of twenty spigot fountains in many roadside venues. It's easier for us to make tea each morning and keep a cooler in the back of the truck!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1