Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Dog N suds

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 86
doris

• Total Posts: 5
Dog N suds Wed, 09/17/03 1:55 PM (permalink)
This was a drive-in in WI. I have great memories of driving to northern WI in the summer and stopping for a burger, fries and rootbeer!

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
    RE: Dog N suds Wed, 09/17/03 4:27 PM (permalink)
    There is still one in Tomahawk Wisconsin.

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
      RE: Dog N suds Wed, 09/17/03 4:31 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

There is still one in Tomahawk Wisconsin.

Time to talk my husband into a little road trip! I'd love to try a Texasburger again. Haven't had one in over 20 years. Up until a few years ago, we used to be able to buy Dog 'N Suds root beer in quart bottles at the supermarket. Looking forward to a frosty mug, too. Thanks, hawkeyejohn.

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
        RE: Dog N suds Wed, 09/17/03 8:01 PM (permalink)
        There is still a Dog 'n' Suds in Montague, MI. Also, I beleive that that opened one in Layfette, IN within the past 5 years.

Hotrodder

• Total Posts: 58
          RE: Dog N suds Fri, 09/19/03 1:21 AM (permalink)
          There's a Dog n suds in Mishawaka IN also.

Penoose

• Total Posts: 57
            RE: Dog N suds Wed, 10/8/03 2:23 AM (permalink)
            Cool looking place. I was lured into one in IN.

The food is unremarkable, but I dug the "suds."

P.j.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Dog N suds Mon, 12/8/03 5:27 AM (permalink)
              [img]http://store4.yimg.com/I/soda-pop_1741_233828[/img]

IansMom

• Total Posts: 394
                RE: Dog N suds Fri, 12/12/03 4:55 PM (permalink)
                the one in Lafayette IN has been there for a while.. I was last there in early 1996.. right after my son was born...

• Total Posts: 335
                  RE: Dog N suds Sun, 02/1/04 11:34 PM (permalink)
                  On August 17, 2002, I decided to eat at the one in Lafayette, Indiana, along Sagamore/US 52. It was there I learned, after striking up a conversation with my carhop about troubleshooting the web site at http://www.dognsuds.net, that that location was the only one left in the Hoosier State. I found that weird since I knew of many others in Indiana. The "many others", according to my carhop, were switching over to Sonic Drive-In, an Oklahoma-based chain. So long.

However, I have had Sonic before (for Daytonians, there is one outside Towne Mall near Middletown) and have been happy every time.

capnhank

• Total Posts: 96
                    RE: Dog N suds Mon, 02/2/04 5:47 PM (permalink)
                    Do they still have that Dog'n'Suds car at the one in Lafayette? I used to have a picture somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I think it was a painted-up old jalopy of some sort. Like a poor man's Wienermobile, but without the phallic symbol.

djbalance

• Total Posts: 1
                      RE: Dog N suds Wed, 03/3/04 11:34 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by capnhank

Do they still have that Dog'n'Suds car at the one in Lafayette? I used to have a picture somewhere, but I can't seem to find it. I think it was a painted-up old jalopy of some sort. Like a poor man's Wienermobile, but without the phallic symbol.

yeah it's still there. it's acctualy 2 desotos cut in half and welded together. my grandfather owned one of them until he sold it to dns. i've lived in lafayette my whole life and don't ever remember it not being there. i'm pretty sure it's original and never stopped opertating.

jettababs

• Total Posts: 222
                        RE: Dog N suds Wed, 03/3/04 11:57 AM (permalink)
                        There's also one still around in Avon, Indiana, west of Indianapolis. It should be open now; it's seasonal. Great food, my husband and I ate there last summer, watching a huge thunderstorm right overhead and eating coneys and really good fries. If you're headed towards a Dog n Suds, they're worth a side trip.

JFMcCune

RE: Dog N suds Wed, 03/10/04 6:59 PM (permalink)
                          For more information, here is the URL for Lafayette, IN (seasonal):
                          http://www.dognsuds.org/

Currently inactive, here is the URL for Montague, MI (seasonal):
                          http://www.dog-n-suds.com/

Don't forget about the one at the corner of Rollins Rd. & Washington St. (517 Washington St.) in Ingleside, IL 60041 (phone 847-587-6808). It's open March-October, and is an easy ride from northwest Chicago area.

anselmo1

• Total Posts: 126
                            RE: Dog N suds Tue, 03/16/04 2:04 AM (permalink)
                            There was a Dog N Suds back in the late 1960's on Main Street in Clarence, NY. The chilled root beer (Suds) was really outstanding. I remember the Coney Dog Basket which was a steam hot dog and french fries. Average at best since I prefer a charbroiled hot dog. I use to hang out there with my friends and always had a great time. Unfortunately, the owner had a son who didn't like the work end of the business and shut it down around 1970.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                              RE: Dog N suds Thu, 11/25/04 8:38 AM (permalink)
                              I remember as a kid, probably around 1960 watching the DognSuds by my house burning down. I have not seen one since, but I'd love to see one again and eat there.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                                RE: Dog N suds Tue, 11/30/04 11:07 AM (permalink)
                                As a kid in the late '60s and early to mid '70s my parents would often take the family to the Dog n Suds on Alpine Road in Rockford IL. Unfortunately it was turned into a Chinese restaurant in the late '70s or early '80s.

I also remember one on US-20 in Hanover Park IL in the mid to late '80s but have no idea what its current status is.

Brad O.

sneeks

• Total Posts: 3
                                  RE: Dog N suds Sun, 01/23/05 10:51 AM (permalink)
                                  There was one open for a short while on Dixie Hwy in Louisville, It was not very good. Chili was watery and service was bad. This was brand new too. Well only lasted about 1 year and now is a Dogs and Suds Car Wash!! Maybe service is better!

lindapanzo

RE: Dog N suds Mon, 01/24/05 6:10 PM (permalink)
                                    There are still three Dog 'n Suds in my area (far north suburban Chicago). One on Center St in Grayslake, IL (car hop comes to car to take order and retrieve trays). One on Rt 12 in Richmond, IL (again, car hop comes to car to take order and remove tray). Another in Ingleside, IL on Rollins Road (give order via speaker) and then car hop brings out food.

It's always a sure sign of spring when the Dog 'n Suds reopens in March, though sometimes, the spring reopening is badly timed and there's a heavy snowstorm or bitter cold weather.

When I was a kid (late 60s/early 70s), they sold hot dogs, fries, and root beer/orange drink. Now, every year, they add a few new menu items. Pizza puffs or whatever.

hytran

RE: Dog N suds Thu, 02/24/05 2:16 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by lindapanzo

There are still three Dog 'n Suds in my area (far north suburban Chicago). One on Center St in Grayslake, IL (car hop comes to car to take order and retrieve trays). One on Rt 12 in Richmond, IL (again, car hop comes to car to take order and remove tray). Another in Ingleside, IL on Rollins Road (give order via speaker) and then car hop brings out food.

It's always a sure sign of spring when the Dog 'n Suds reopens in March, though sometimes, the spring reopening is badly timed and there's a heavy snowstorm or bitter cold weather.

Grayslake opens tomorrow - it's been a long 4 months - we'll be there!!

eiffel

• Total Posts: 2
                                        RE: Dog N suds Mon, 05/23/05 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                        There was a dog n suds on Main St. in Bloomington, Illinois as well. Loved the frosted rootboor mugs.

It was at this place that I determined that I needed glasses as I could not read their white menu billboard. I was 10 or 11 years old at the time.

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
                                          RE: Dog N suds Mon, 05/23/05 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                          For you Dog N Suds fans, there were also quite a few posts under the thread "Long Gone Regional Chains" back in Jan/Feb by ladytenor and several others. QFan mistakenly though that DNS was a goner, but was told they are still alive and well at several Midwest locations in Illinois/Indiana and others. Some new ones have apparently been built in recent yrs. Not all have survived, but they are still in their pitching their frosty root beers and dogs.
                                          QFan
                                          Bonita Springs, FL
                                          p.s. One RF-er even posted that he had recently been to one that still had carhops. Wow, that's a blast from the past!

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                            RE: Dog N suds Mon, 05/23/05 8:43 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by QFan

For you Dog N Suds fans, there were also quite a few posts under the thread "Long Gone Regional Chains" back in Jan/Feb by ladytenor and several others. QFan mistakenly though that DNS was a goner, but was told they are still alive and well at several Midwest locations in Illinois/Indiana and others. Some new ones have apparently been built in recent yrs. Not all have survived, but they are still in their pitching their frosty root beers and dogs.
                                            QFan
                                            Bonita Springs, FL
                                            p.s. One RF-er even posted that he had recently been to one that still had carhops. Wow, that's a blast from the past!

When I was in Indiana, I stopped by one of the B&K Hot Dog Stands.. They also still have car hops!

banjoplayer21

• Total Posts: 6
                                              RE: Dog N suds Mon, 05/23/05 11:21 PM (permalink)
                                              i'm 48 years young and remember a treat in the chicago area where we used to go in the early seventy's, late sixty's called dogs n' sud's. i remember they had pretty darn good root beer...

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                                RE: Dog N suds Mon, 05/23/05 11:36 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by banjoplayer21

i'm 48 years young and remember a treat in the chicago area where we used to go in the early seventy's, late sixty's called dogs n' sud's. i remember they had pretty darn good root beer...

If you ever get to the West Side of Michigan, they still have one in Whitehall...

Shakey

RE: Dog N suds Tue, 05/31/05 12:33 PM (permalink)
                                                  We had one here in Modesto, CA (former home of Mr. Petersen and home of American Grafitti and George Lucas) in the mid 60's. My wife was one of the carhops on roller skates before I married her. Not too many of 'em left. Sonic is trying to bring back this type of drive-in restaurant. Unfortunately, places where kids can congregate often spell trouble now-a-days.
                                                  The drive-in restaurant in American Grafitti was typical of several in Modesto--Dog 'N Suds being one of them.

William!

RE: Dog N suds Fri, 07/1/05 6:21 AM (permalink)
                                                    We had a Dog n Suds right along M-115 in Cadillac MI, where I grew up. They were seasonal and had carhops until 1972 or 1973, when they changed to intercom speakers on poles (and NO notice, as I remember... we sat waiting several minutes before somebody noticed the button and instructions next to the speaker where the carhops usually stood!). They added a dining area in maybe 1977, and became year-round, until they had a fire (early 1980?) and never reopened. The sign stood a couple years after the building was torn down (and with it the concrete and posts, I believe). There was also one in Lake City, about fifteen miles away, that was still operating in the mid-1980s; onion rings weren't common to local fast-food places, and theirs were especially good. I was never a big hot-dog fan, but the chili sauce and cheeseburgers (char-broiled) from both places were all right; I seem to remember they pushed the mustard a little. I'd take their root-beer over A&W's (at least the canned/bottled variety), and they did have take-home barrels... which never lasted long!

William!

RE: Dog N suds Sat, 07/2/05 10:57 PM (permalink)
                                                      Another note: The chili sauce was called "Coney Sauce", and the chili-dogs were Coney Dogs accordingly, as I remember. (Discovered a couple taste-alike recipes online, and the name Coney Sauce rang a bell.) I'm pleasantly surprised by the memorabilia and information available on this chain.

UncleVic

• Location: West Palm Beach, FL
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        RE: Dog N suds Sat, 07/2/05 11:49 PM (permalink)
                                                        Welcome William! I never knew they had a Dog n Suds up in Lake County! Learn something new everyday... I have one of their Franchise packets, which includes history, a menu, etc etc... I'll try to post it on my website within the next week or so... Makes for some fun reading...

StL Dan

• Total Posts: 21
                                                          • Location: Olathe, KS
                                                          RE: Dog N suds Thu, 07/7/05 1:20 AM (permalink)
                                                          I used to eat at the location in Cherokee Pass, Missouri every single summer.

Great chili dogs and root beer.

macmoore

• Total Posts: 3
                                                            • Location: Elkton, MD
                                                            RE: Dog N suds Wed, 07/13/05 12:21 AM (permalink)
                                                            Does anyone know if the DNS on Crawfordsville Road in Indianapolis is still there? There used to be one just off the east beltway (Washington Ave?), but it changed to a Sonic a few years back. It was always a treat when passing through on the Interstate, and I'd like to find another one. Thanks.
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by McFan

On August 17, 2002, I decided to eat at the one in Lafayette, Indiana, along Sagamore/US 52. It was there I learned, after striking up a conversation with my carhop about troubleshooting the web site at http://www.dognsuds.net, that that location was the only one left in the Hoosier State. I found that weird since I knew of many others in Indiana. The "many others", according to my carhop, were switching over to Sonic Drive-In, an Oklahoma-based chain. So long.

However, I have had Sonic before (for Daytonians, there is one outside Towne Mall near Middletown) and have been happy every time.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 86

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com