Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
jesskidden
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 152
RE: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA 2008/11/07 14:47:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Thanks, Jesskidden, and that just adds to the confusion. If Molson blue is not sold as beer , what is it, and does Sam Adams sell their expensive high alcohol stuff as something other than beer? And, why concentrate the alcohol in the beer only to bring it back to its previous level?

I agree it's confusing but, apparently, the Feds have no trouble with "ice beers" or true "eisbocks" that are brewed elsewhere. Thus Molson Ice and the classic German Aventinus Eisbock http://www.bunitedint.com/portfolios/producers/g_schneider/aventinus_eisbock/overview.php
are sold here without any trouble (save for ABV limits in certain states).

From what I understand, all the high ABV Sam Adams products are done with the various "super yeasts" and other techniques noted above, not through freeze distillation. The major US brewed "Ice" beers (now somewhat of a dying fad) claimed that the freezing, skimming and re-adding water gave a beer a "rich and slightly sweet taste, with a smooth finish." http://www.anheuser-busch.com/PDF/Bud_Ice_Bud_Ice_Light.pdf

The legality of the process is (as you can imagine after reading that TTB ruling) somewhat confused and, the way I understand it, is that the craft-brewed eisbocks that do exist aren't shipped out of their home states. (Anyone know for sure?)

quote:

what does "TTB" stand for?

[url][/url]

It's the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau of the Dept. of the Treasury, formerly known as the ATF. http://www.ttb.gov/index.shtml
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA 2008/11/07 20:11:24 (permalink)
Thanks again, guys, I think I'll stick to my local IPA, made in nearby Kingston NY, and such perennial favorites as Yeungling and Rolling Rock. And I think in the future I'll avoid these esoteric beer discussions and stick to simple stuff like wine and distilled spirits.

Cheers, John
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA 2008/11/11 23:29:36 (permalink)
quote:

Thanks again, guys, I think I'll stick to my local IPA, made in nearby Kingston NY, and such perennial favorites as Yeungling and Rolling Rock. And I think in the future I'll avoid these esoteric beer discussions and stick to simple stuff like wine and distilled spirits.

Cheers, John

Yeah, John, it's best to stay with simple things, like how to make a Martini.

I know you'll agree that the only real man's Martini is made with Sterling vodka, shaken (not stirred) with ice cubes and a generous splash of vermouth, then garnished with 3 large, jalapeno-stuffed olives.

Just like you, I like to keep things simple...
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA 2008/11/13 09:41:34 (permalink)
Bushie: That aint no Martini!!!

Cheers, John
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA 2008/11/14 20:44:28 (permalink)
quote:

Bushie: That aint no Martini!!!

Cheers, John

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1