Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!!

Author
Dogmatic1NYC
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/09/14 17:30:13 (permalink)

Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!!

Hello fellow Road Food Folks!

I am writing to announce that Dogmatic Gourmet Sausage System has opened, in some ways due to the help I found on this site!

Dogmatic is located on the Bleecker Playground in the West Village in NYC (Hudson & W. 11th). We offer a new take on portable, wholesome food. We serve beef and turkey sausages presented in bored-out baguettes (toasted on the inside!!) with your choice of sauce. Sauces will change from time to time but generally include white cheddar jalapeno, feta sundried tomoto, Dijon, spicy ketchup, and pesto. We opened this past Saturday and Sunday, closed to do some cart modifications, then opened Wednesday, then got rained out today, but we'll be back Friday afternoon and all weekend...we would love to see you!

I know the hot dog loyalists will be mad that we've played with a good old standard, but for those who are more health concious this is a great compromise. Our sausages are from grass & flax seed animals making them high in Omega 3s and they are nitrate and nitrite free, in a natural casing.

We also do homemade all natural syrups and have sides like organic gummy bears.

Come by and check us out!

12 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/14 17:38:25 (permalink)
    I'm curious. Since the mixture used to properly cure sausages consist of nitrates, does that mean your sausage is boiled vs. being cured in a smoke house? I have nothing against organic methods and more healthy methods of food production. But seriously, a sausage is a sausage, and when ya mess with the formula, it's something totally different being mis-labled.

PS. Best of luck on your venture there! Hopefully the weather improves and your business grows!!

Dogmatic1NYC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/14 17:53:04 (permalink)
    I shall consult my farmer, but it is my understanding that they are smoked AND nitrite/nitrate free!

Thank you for the well wishes!
    Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/14 18:20:21 (permalink)
    Excuse my little joke, but I would really like to see those grass and flax seed animals, they must be pretty funny looking. Yes, I know you meant to say grass and flax seed fed, but I couldn't resist.

Perhaps, most traditional hot dogs have nitrites and nitrates in the mix, but they certainly are not necessary. I buy a lot of cured meats including country hams that are nitrite free.

The idea sounds interesting, anyway. Good luck and welcome to Roadfood!
    Pigiron
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/14 19:32:42 (permalink)
    I will definitely come down to sample these interesting sounding tubesteaks. I, for one, would NEVER get upset with someone attempting to provide a healthier alternative to classic foods. Anyone who wants a nitrite and nitrate filled heart-attack dog need not worry, they outnumber healthy dogs by about a billion to one. Best of luck to you.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/14 19:33:03 (permalink)
    Organic Hot Dog??? In NYC?????? Now thars an OxyMoron!!! You need to move your Wagon up to Park Av!!
    TheHotPepper.com
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/14 19:34:43 (permalink)
    I need to check this out. Got a website?
    Dogmatic1NYC
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/14 19:49:15 (permalink)
    Healthful (and $5) hot dogs are very in their element in the West Village! We get to watch celebs play with their tots in the playground all day.

Our website is in the works, but you can read about us a bit by googling-we are partly backed by an ad agency and one of the owners did a lecture about marketing and used us as an example-people thought it was fake! From that there is a pseudo corporate video on YouTube.com (someone taped it during the lecture). Also, one of our employees is a writer and you can read about us on her blog: sneezy-tacky.blogspot.com.

Thanks to all for the good words! We hope you come visit soon.
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/15 14:49:30 (permalink)
    Perhaps with your Dogma-tic hotdogs you might serve Karma-lized onions to top them with?
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/16 13:38:25 (permalink)
    Good one, Sonny!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2006/09/16 15:20:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dogmatic1NYC

I shall consult my farmer, but it is my understanding that they are smoked AND nitrite/nitrate free!

Thank you for the well wishes!

Reason I asked, here's a quote from a sausage making catalog I have:

"A few words about cures: The primary and most important reason meat is cured is to prevent food poising. Any meat or sausage that will be cooked or smoked at low temperature MUST be cured. To trigger food poisoning the requirements are; lack of oxygen, moisture and temperatures in the range of 40 - 140 degrees F. When smoking meats, the heat and smoke eliminate the oxygen, the meat has moisture and is smoked in the low ranges of 90 to 160 degrees F, which makes ideal conditions for food poisoning." They go on saying more, but basicly the same thing. Most cures have Sodium Nitrate and or Sodium Nitrite on a salt carrier.

Above quote came from the printed catalog available from www.sausagemaker.com
    travis
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2008/10/10 14:32:12 (permalink)
    Dog,

I caught the Feed-Bag blog entry (10/09/2008) and read the press release:
    (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/10-08-2008/0004900100&EDATE=).

Although I have some reservations about the menu (I am not looking for a healthful or gourmet experience when I am on a road-food crawl), I'll suspend disbelief for now and try to pass by this weekend.

Are you gonna be open on the holiday, Monday, 10/13/08?

What is it that you do with the spears of locally sourced organic asparagus?

Good luck with the venture and don't try that expansion too aggressively.

travis
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2336
    RE: Dogmatic Gourmet Sauage System is Open!! 2008/10/10 15:15:25 (permalink)
    Personally I prefer a good old fashioned natural casing frankfurter made of beef or a combination of beef and pork (and maybe some veal a/la/Hofmann's German style Frankfurters). Don't much care for nitrite or nitrate free franks. I had a number of them in a tasting I participated in 2 years ago and they tasted awful. Most use celery juice to make up for the lack of nitrates. A healthy hot dog is sort of an oxymoron. Hot dogs are meant to be tasty and enjoyed without guilt. It seemed no one cared about the healthiness (or lack of) of hot dogs years ago. If you are concerned, I say enjoy a real hot dog once in awhile as opposed to having a faux hot dog frequently. Unless you actually like the way these things taste.

Good luck. Even though I wouldn't eat one of these dogs, I think there is a market for them. Just beware of the people from the Dogma Grill in Florida. Your name is similar, and they've already sued a small restaurant (Hot Dogma) in Pittsburgh and forced them to change their name. Their new name is Franktuary.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1