The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Dominican Fried Chicken

gschwim

• Total Posts: 113
Dominican Fried Chicken Thu, 01/6/05 9:30 AM (permalink)
I remember, some time ago, seeing a TV news report on a unique fried chicken place that had just opened in the Washington, D.C. area. It was the first U.S. outlet of a chain that originated -- and is very popular -- in the Dominican Republic. The report said it did $1 million in business the first week. Apparently, what makes them special is they inject the chicken with some kind of marinade before frying. They have a Web site, too. Does anyone know the name of this chain? Has anyone tried it? Does anyone have the recipe or a good copycat?

chezkatie

• Total Posts: 1329
    RE: Dominican Fried Chicken Thu, 01/6/05 9:53 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gschwim

I remember, some time ago, seeing a TV news report on a unique fried chicken place that had just opened in the Washington, D.C. area. It was the first U.S. outlet of a chain that originated -- and is very popular -- in the Dominican Republic. The report said it did $1 million in business the first week. Apparently, what makes them special is they inject the chicken with some kind of marinade before frying. They have a Web site, too. Does anyone know the name of this chain? Has anyone tried it? Does anyone have the recipe or a good copycat?

Could you be asking about El Loco Pollo? I have never had their chicken but have heard people comment on how good it is. Here is a recipe which is supposed to be like theirs.

Loco Pollo Chicken
    1/4 cup corn oil
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/4 cup onion, minced
    2 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
    1 teaspoon ground achiote (substitute 2-3 drops yellow food coloring)
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (grind the seeds fresh, if possible)
    1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1/4 cup orange juice
    1 chicken, 2-1/2 to 3 pounds, halved

Combine oil, butter, onion, garlic, achiote, cumin, lemon and orange juices in a large shallow pan. Add chicken halves, turning to coat well. Cover and marinate several hours, or overnight.
    Remove chicken from marinade, then cook over medium coals on barbecue grill, or in a broiler 4 inches under source of heat, until browned on both sides and meat is done, turning and basting frequently, about 25 minutes.

Cut chicken halves into pieces. Serve with beans and rice, corn or flour tortillas, and fresh salsa.

Serves 4

cbolado

• Total Posts: 68
      RE: Dominican Fried Chicken Thu, 01/6/05 10:24 AM (permalink)
      I think you're referring to Pollo Campero, which is based in Guatemala and very popular there and in El Salvador. They opened their first US restaurant in LA in 2002, and they've been expanding ever since. I think the most recent opening was the one in Queens; I've been meaning to try it for some time but haven't yet gotten around to it. The lines that snaked out the front door during the first week or so that it was open were insane--it seems to happen every time they open a new store. From what my friend tells me (she's Salvadoran and has eaten it over there), the chicken's good, but nothing incredibly special. I think most people go there because it reminds them of home. At any rate, as soon as I try it, I'll report back.

Their web site is http://www.campero.com

Carolina

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
        RE: Dominican Fried Chicken Thu, 01/6/05 10:46 AM (permalink)
        Globalization's McBacklash
        Guatemala’s Pollo Campero has American fast-food franchises running scared
        BY ROBB WALSH

t 11:52 a.m., I ease into the line of cars waiting to pull in to the parking lot of the new fried chicken franchise Pollo Campero. The traffic has backed up one lane of Bellaire Boulevard all the way to Chatwood, where a Taco Bell and a McDonald's sit across the street from each other. There are plenty of parking spots available at those familiar American franchises, but nobody in this line shows any interest. Shortly after noon, my car starts overheating and I have to turn the engine off, which is fine since the line is barely moving anyway.

At around 12:20 p.m. I finally get to park the car. But I have to stand in line again at the front door, where there are around 50 people waiting to get in. Except for a guy named Tom who's keeping his Colombian wife company, my friend Jay Francis and I appear to be the only Anglos.

I strike up a conversation with Douglas Antonio, a young Salvadoran roofer with a shaved head and a soul patch who has lived in Houston for five months. My Spanish isn't perfect, but I understand him to say that the flavor and the lack of grease are what make the chicken here appealing. He also uses the word nostálgico, which I assume means "nostalgia" but my Spanish-English dictionary also defines as "homesickness."

"Did you eat this chicken a lot back in El Salvador?" I ask.
        "Mucho," he smiles.
        "And do you miss it?"
        "Mucho," he repeats.

I reach the front counter just after 1 p.m. and order a family pack, which comes with eight pieces of chicken, two sides and a choice of tortillas or rolls. I get tortillas. The transaction takes place entirely in Spanish. At 1:08 p.m. I get my chicken. One hour and 16 minutes is not too bad for Pollo Campero on a Saturday afternoon.

"Tierno! Jugoso! Crujiente!" reads the slogan on the outside of the chicken box. And "Tender! Juicy! Crunchy!" is a pretty fair description. The crust, formed by a simple flour dip, is very crisp. And the meat is marinated before it's cooked, so it stays extremely moist. But the most astonishing thing about Pollo Campero's fried chicken is how little grease clings to it. Francis blots a thigh with a paper napkin, and it comes away with very little oil. I've tried similar tests at Popeyes and KFC, and Pollo Campero wins the grease challenge hands down.

I eat a wing and a drumstick by themselves before pulling a breast apart, slathering it with green salsa and rolling it up on a fresh flour tortilla. We both like the green salsa, which tastes like roasted tomatillos, more than the red. But as for the sides, the fries are average, the pinto beans are passable, and the cole slaw is a little bitter.

Still, the restaurant is packed and the line never shrinks. The day this Pollo Campero opened, television news teams were on hand to report that Guatemalans, Salvadorans and other Latin Americans were standing in line for up to five hours to get chicken. Houston hasn't seen such a franchise frenzy since the arrival of Krispy Kreme.

Pollo Campero, the hottest restaurant franchise in the United States, is based in Guatemala.

Protesting the spread of insipid American food culture, farm workers in the south of France trashed a McDonald's there in 1999. The act inspired other anti-McDonald's uprisings around the world. In Peking, women at an environmental conference pried a statue of Ronald McDonald from a bench and threw it in a sewage pond to protest globalization. A bomb planted in a McDonald's in Indonesia killed two; another in Brittany killed one. The protests seemed to have little effect on McDonald's business.

But what the protests couldn't accomplish has come about anyway, through changes in the tastes and ethnic composition of the American population. McDonald's -- in fact, the entire burger-and-fries American-dining paradigm -- is in retreat. Last month, McDonald's CEO, 21-year veteran Jack Greenberg, resigned after reporting the first quarterly operating loss in the corporation's history. Reportedly the chain will be closing stores and laying off employees around the world. Industry analysts claim the decline is the result of McDonald's complacency at a time when consumers are looking for healthier and more ethnically diverse alternatives.

To compound their problems, in November a class action suit was filed in New York against McDonald's on behalf of children with diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity. The suit alleges that the chain and its advertising are responsible for an epidemic.

Consumers aren't happy with their Happy Meals anymore, and traditional franchises are struggling to come up with new ideas. Wendy's has gone on a buying spree, acquiring a large stake in Houston's Cafe Express and Taco Milagro chains, as well as a franchise from Mexico called Baja Fresh. The Mexican chain, which serves enchiladas on plastic plates, may not be a good bet in a taqueria-heavy town like Houston, but the company has already opened three locations in the affluent but enchilada-challenged suburbs north of Dallas, as well as in 17 other states.

Latin American flavors aren't the only ones in vogue. Taiwanese tapioca tea franchises are bubbling up all over the country, and an Indian bakery is coming on strong with halal pizzas (see the future installments of this series for more information on these phenomena). Pho Cong Ly, the Vietnamese noodle franchise that was founded by an undercapitalized Vietnamese immigrant in Southern California, now boasts more than 40 locations in the United States and Canada, and a nearly equal number in Asia.

After years of watching the spread of McDonald's and KFCs in their homelands, restaurant chains from the rest of the world are now invading the United States. Their revenge is delicious.

So, is Pollo Campero's chicken worth the long wait?

That depends on who you are. An objective taste test would reveal that you can get better chicken at homegrown Houston institutions like Frenchy's, the Creole chicken shack in the Third Ward where African-Americans have been waiting in line for hot fried chicken night and day since 1969. (No TV crews so far.) But if you're Hispanic or love to eat that way, the salsas, tortillas and beans at Pollo Campero make it more attractive. And if you grew up in Central America, this fried chicken is simply irresistible. It's a fascinating illustration of the psychological power of taste memory.

"Remember when we went to Piedras Negras?" my friend Francis asks by way of explanation. I assure him I recall the trip. I was invited to judge the International Nacho Festival there last October, and Francis came along. We ate nothing but nachos and other Mexican dishes for the better part of a week. "And remember how as soon as we got back across the border, we made a beeline for the Whataburger?" I nod my head in agreement. I ordered a double meat Whataburger, and although it was just a hamburger, it evoked all sorts of warm and fuzzy emotions.

For Central Americans who haven't been back to their home country for months, or even years, Pollo Campero conjures up even more intense feelings. The chain's trademark, a chicken in a cowboy hat, is part of Latin American pop culture, gracing 170 fried chicken restaurants in Central and South America and even appearing in a cartoon show for kids. Central American expats bring so much Pollo Campero chicken to their homesick friends back in the States that the chain built outlets in airports. The aroma on these flights became so overwhelming that El Salvador's Grupa TACA airlines eventually requested that the chain sell its chicken in airtight packages.

When the first U.S. Pollo Campero franchise opened in Los Angeles last year, it sold 17.5 tons of chicken a week, grossing over $1 million in sales in its first seven weeks in business. Based on the incredible demand, the chain has announced plans to open 200 locations in the United States over the next five years.

That a Guatemalan chicken chain is beating McDonald's on its own turf is a source of great pride for the Central American community. And the chicken is indeed tasty. But what's really drawing the crowds is the yearning of a bicultural community for a taste of home. There are some 115,000 Central Americans in Houston, and almost all of them grew up eating at Pollo Campero. For them, this fried chicken is not only the cure for nostálgico, it's a way to remember their ethnic identity.

As the Chinese philosopher Lin Yü-t'ang once said, "What is patriotism but the love of the good things we ate in our childhood?"

gschwim

RE: Dominican Fried Chicken Thu, 01/6/05 11:20 AM (permalink)
          Pollo Campero looks to the chain I wrote about, though I will try the recipe for Pollo Loco, which sounds like what we in NYC call "Peruvian Chicken." But I really would love a recipe for Pollo Campero, if it's the one I'm thinking of, which is injected with a marinade and then breaded and deep fried.

Pogo

• Total Posts: 269
            RE: Dominican Fried Chicken Thu, 01/6/05 2:32 PM (permalink)
            The marinade sounds like Mojo Criolle, a product distributed by Goya Corp. Pretty good bottled marinade.

(And the idea of replacing real achiote with food coloring brings tears to my eyes)

cbolado

• Total Posts: 68
              RE: Dominican Fried Chicken Thu, 01/6/05 3:36 PM (permalink)
              I just skimmed through a few interviews online with the president of Pollo Campero, and apparently the company's very secretive about the recipe.

gschwim

RE: Dominican Fried Chicken Thu, 01/6/05 6:27 PM (permalink)
                Most restaurants are secretive about their recipes, but many individuals develop "copycat" recipess, such as this one:

http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/Copycat.html

Hopefully, some talented amateur chef will like Pollo Campero chicken enough to try to come up with a copycat recipe.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                  RE: Dominican Fried Chicken Thu, 01/6/05 6:37 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Pogo

The marinade sounds like Mojo Criolle, a product distributed by Goya Corp. Pretty good bottled marinade.

(And the idea of replacing real achiote with food coloring brings tears to my eyes)

I agree on both issues, Pogo...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com