Donating as advertisement?

Author
ArikyDogs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2013/03/01 20:46:53 (permalink)

Donating as advertisement?

So I wanna get a few opinions on the matter of donating dogs at a local church venue as advertisement.

Anyone experience this? I'm thinking it'll be good PR. Just wanna see the opinions of the veterans

17 Replies Related Threads

pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2535
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/02 09:55:48 (permalink)
    ArikyDogs, I think if it's the church you belong to it's a good idea. You could serve the dogs after church, get to know some of the fellow members. That will give you a chance to get the word out of what, where and when you will be selling your dogs. I think it's a good bet the members of the church will look to support their fellow members. When I started my Catering business I invited about 200 businesses to the CofC for a lunch Hors d'oeuvres buffet, it gave them a chance to try about 15 different hot and cold items.........I wish you the best..............pnwc.............p.s. I see Hot dog U is coming to Scottsdale, is that in your near future plans ???
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 439
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/02 13:57:38 (permalink)
    How many people attend this church?  How will all of this unfold?  At an event?  Your post sounds a bit like you are just literally giving them hot dogs in a bag and they will serve them later at some event....I'm sure that's not what you mean but tell us more about it. 

Of course you can give dogs away to whoever you want for whatever reason but since you're looking to receive some benefits from it (hence the advertising) knowing how many people will be present at the event, will there be someone (an mc) that announces on a mic that "ArikyDogs is serving up some really delicious dogs over by the swingset!", will they have a bulletin before/after/during the event that lists all the vendors?  (that will be best because people will see your name after the event is over)

Anyway....just a few thoughts....
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/02 14:27:53 (permalink)
    Devil's Advocate, (OOOPS! I forgot it was at a church!)
    Are you a member there? Unless they know who you are, the likelihood of them remembering you afterward is slim unless you give them something to remember you by. Takeout menu's WITH YOUR FACEBOOK, TWITTER, WEB SITE, CONTACT INFO on it , a coupon for future purchase. Otherwise you'll be forgotten by most of them even before the last burp comes out. Being a mobile unit makes it even harder for them to find you unless you have a regular spot.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2013/03/02 14:29:56
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/02 14:39:05 (permalink)
    Excellent, excellent advice Foodbme! 

Foodbme

Devil's Advocate, (OOOPS! I forgot it was at a church!)
    Are you a member there? Unless they know who you are, the likelihood of them remembering you afterward is slim unless you give them something to remember you by. Takeout menu's WITH YOUR FACEBOOK, TWITTER, WEB SITE, CONTACT INFO on it , a coupon for future purchase. Otherwise you'll be forgotten by most of them even before the last burp comes out. Being a mobile unit makes it even harder for them to find you unless you have a regular spot.

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/03 10:38:13 (permalink)
    Basic rule of thumb: if you are donating to a charity, do anything you want. If your business is donating to a charity, make it a donation that will bring people to your business. I second the idea of bringing a coupon. And maybe, in the announcement in the church bulletin, have them give you a mention? When I cover charity events, I always attempt to give a plug to whoever is donating services; if you see a reporter on the premises, let him or her know who you are.

Bart
    ArikyDogs
    Junior Burger
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/03 12:02:26 (permalink)
    Wow thanks for all the replies. They're great!

Yes the will be announcing it in service before and after. The people would come to the cart for their free dog and soda.

I think the coupon idea is great and will be giving them away with each dog.

I have signage about "liking or following" my social media pages hopefully they will work haha.

Thanks again everyone!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/03 15:12:02 (permalink)
    Whatever you do, make sure they PHYSICALLY take something with them that has your CONTACT INFORMATION on it.
    At least a Business Card. (You do have business cards, don't you?)
    They won't remember what they saw on a sign unless they write it down.
    You don't know who in that group is planning a company outing, a birthday party, a kids sports team party or who knows what and is looking for something different to do.
    Make sure all your materials tell them you cater (IF you do.)

Just a thought on sports teams & leagues - There are Hundreds if not YThousands of kids sports teams in the Valley and I'm sure other parts of the country as well. Everyone I've ever seen has a pre and/or post season party. There's a good market there people!

BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/03 15:44:06 (permalink)
    Also, look for private schools too. tell them you will feed the students lunch. and you can do school events too. basicly any place that dosnt have regular food service. bring your dogs unto the people.
    ArikyDogs
    Junior Burger
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/03 20:02:28 (permalink)
    Wow awesome stuff here guys.

Yes my business cards with "we cater" will be done before the event.

I've been more focused on the night life here in Scottsdale like the strip clubs/ bars that don't offer food, I think it's a gold mine waiting to be tapped into if not already done.

But I do enjoy giving back to the community that empowers me to be self employed
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2535
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/03 20:59:11 (permalink)
    I'm not sure giving away hot dogs at church, will bring in much business to the Strip Club location...............
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Flagged as Spam (2)
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/03 23:19:11 (permalink)
    yeah true. to get the church members that go to strip clubs they will have to hit the catholic places.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/03 23:31:38 (permalink)
    I'd stop right there...about Catholics or any other religion.
    BpCBlake
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/04 00:18:52 (permalink)
    true. I should not speak about what I see thou.
    Bishop Corey Blake OSB, SBM

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/04 00:20:56 (permalink)
    You should know better. But if you don't...this is not the place for that.
    hella good tacos
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/10 20:59:35 (permalink)
    I don't know how much this applies to your situation, but i kick a small amount to my kid's little league and they hang a sign on one of the fields with my logo and info on it.

I have pulled my cart in for an after game snack (donated), and have garnered some fans from it.  

I always just look at this as a donation and if something nice happens in return it's an added plus.
    bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1351
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/11 11:33:32 (permalink)
    hella good tacos I always just look at this as a donation and if something nice happens in return it's an added plus.

Once again, if it's you, donate whatever you like. If it's your business, get people to your store.

Bart
    djdawg
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Donating as advertisement? 2013/03/11 11:53:37 (permalink)
    Wait....donating to church and working closely to strip clubs? 

Hmmm...not to get into a religious debate, but you might want to rethink that.  Most church folk with think that's a little odd.  Maybe you're across the street from one next to other bars and businesses so no big deal...but setting up in the parking lot of a strip club and then also donating to the church?  I'm not sure how that would go down with the church people but proceed at our own risk.  LOL
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1