Donovan's burger in New England...where?

Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2008/07/09 23:58:55 (permalink)

Donovan's burger in New England...where?

Hi all..
on the Roadfood Austin tour Michael Stern was saying his favorite burger was Donovan's. I believe he said it was in MA.
Help please! Michael? Anyone?

I tried searching on Internet, and I just see something about a closed down Donovan's..

ellen

p.s. And I don't mean the Donovan's burger in Queens...(although I may try that place too , sometime)

14 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/10 08:08:30 (permalink)
    I think he may be refering to CF Donovans Savin Hill area of Dorchester.
    Good to great spot. I haven't been in a few years though.
    I have to go to the union hall soon so I may just end up there for a fact finding mission. Any excuse for a beer and a burger, I'll take one for the team. Chow Jim
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/10 16:49:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

I think he may be refering to CF Donovans Savin Hill area of Dorchester.
    Good to great spot. I haven't been in a few years though.
    I have to go to the union hall soon so I may just end up there for a fact finding mission. Any excuse for a beer and a burger, I'll take one for the team. Chow Jim

thanks for the info, Jim...
    I'll do some more research, and see if there's a pic of the burger somewhere. If YOU could take a pic of it, I'll give you some extra brownie points! And I'll even buy your next beer!
    sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/11 17:36:56 (permalink)
    you already had a Brickyard burger Ellen, why settle for less ?
    you should try that Burgers Shakes & Fries that M. S. reviewed today. it's a lot closer.
    if it tastes as good as it looks, send me an order of everything C.O.D.
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/12 01:12:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by sk bob

you already had a Brickyard burger Ellen, why settle for less ?
    you should try that Burgers Shakes & Fries that M. S. reviewed today. it's a lot closer.
    if it tastes as good as it looks, send me an order of everything C.O.D.

You're right, sk bob! I doubt I'll ever have anything as good as the Brickyard!

Good idea, as that Burger Shakes and Fries place in the Roadfood review IS a lot closer to me ! (compared to schlepping out to Boston area) Greenwich, CT here I come! I may also mix in New Haven, etc.. and get a hot fudge sundae from the ice cream place in Bethel Ct that also in a very recent review.

I may go even one step further than to C.O.D it to you!
    Let's see, I can put it in a cooler, and take it with me on the plane ride down there ...
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/12 06:49:06 (permalink)

I am making a guess that he is talking about a place in South Norwalk. The name escapes me completely, but I think it is Donovan O'Brian's, though it could be Jerimiah. I have seen Michael Stern write about it somewhere, maybe in a article for Connecticut Magazine. It is supposed to be a very good burger, as they focus on steaks. That should set yet drooling....
    If you were to take the train from GCS, you could get to that place within a few minutes walking distance from the station.

mark
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/12 21:45:45 (permalink)
    come on down! pm me in advance, i'll give you my ph. #
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/12 22:51:28 (permalink)
    I'm thinking JJ Donovan's in Norwalk, CT.
    A truly great burger and lots of fight memorabilia on the walls.
    Went with my dad (who fought undercards in the Brooklyn Arena in the '50s) and it was a history lesson, along with the truly great burgers.
    Get the homefries on the side.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/13 06:36:30 (permalink)
    It could very well be Boston.
    My quess is they were doing an interview at the Boston Globe and may have been either taken to or pointed to CF Donovans in Dorchester.
    In any event Ellen come to Boston we have so much more to offer.
    Burgers at Donovans, burgers at O'Sullivans or Bartleys Burger Cottage.
    Breakfast at Charlies sandwich shop then a Pastrami sandwich at Zaftigs.
    The city also offers a pretty good pizza also.
    Who knows you may even get your own "Coolie" {me} to carry your doggy bags.
    Chow Jim
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/13 07:22:45 (permalink)
    Ellen, why not just email Michael Stern?

Go here:

http://www.roadfood.com/Feedback/
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/13 07:50:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Top

I'm thinking JJ Donovan's in Norwalk, CT.
    A truly great burger and lots of fight memorabilia on the walls.
    Went with my dad (who fought undercards in the Brooklyn Arena in the '50s) and it was a history lesson, along with the truly great burgers.
    Get the homefries on the side.

JJ Donovan's...that's right. I tried to locate it through the web yellow pages, with no luck. The map for Norwalk was spotty, but it shows that a restaurant named Porterhouse is just about next door.
    Hey ellen.....how much beef can you eat?
    I am pretty sure that this is the Donovan's that ellen is searching for as an answer.

Hey Top, how is Archie Moore's? I suspect that they should have a good burger. Their wings are popular. I think ellen could be well served by checking out Fairfield in general.

mark
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/13 08:12:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

Hey Top, how is Archie Moore's? I suspect that they should have a good burger. Their wings are popular. I think ellen could be well served by checking out Fairfield in general.

I can't tell you, never been to Archie Moore's.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/13 08:39:24 (permalink)
    Donovan's closed. It has reopened as[url='http://www.bulldogbarandgrill.com/']Bulldog's Bar and Grill[/url].

[url='http://www.culinarymenus.com/donovans.htm
    ']Old Donovan's[/url]

[url='http://www.chowhound.com/topics/396626']Chowhound reviews[/url]

ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/14 11:05:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MiamiDon
    Donovan's closed. It has reopened as Bulldog's Bar and Grill

Thanks for the info, Don... no wonder doggydaddy was having trouble finding current info on it...(although some places ARE hard to find info on, anyway... no websites, etc)

That was a great idea for me to e-mail Michael Stern directly.
    I did'nt even realize that Roadfood feature was available!
    (always more to learn in life everyday, see!)
    It's certainly better than posting on here, and hoping he stumbles across it. Although I am enjoying reading the posts that my question has generated.

RE: ARCHIE MOORE'S.... I figure their wings must be good, cause a few times I've bought their buffalo wing sauce in the supermarket, and really enjoyed it! Looks like I'll be putting Archie Moore's on my list, as well...

And DOGGYDADDY, you wonder how much beef can I eat?
    LOTS of beef, baby! Bring on those burgers and steaks! (plus some buffalo wings for an app.)
    I'm definitely a beef and chicken gal...I like those basic fun foods, but made well! ( Save that seared salmon and almond crusted tilapia for the next guy!)

UPDATE: 3 hours later...I see that Michael Stern has answered my e-mail question already. He wrote me back saying his Donovans was in Norwalk, but it was a long time ago that he was there last, and he was'nt sure it was still there.
    I replied back that thanks to this thread (and Miami Don's research)
    we found out it became a Bulldogs ..

roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Donovan's burger in New England...where? 2008/07/26 13:29:46 (permalink)
    Going to The Splendid Table,and searching The Sterns, here is a listing of links...
    Maybe you can find it thru here.
    I know I am a little late, but there is a wealth of information there.[url='http://find.publicradio.org/search?site=spt&client=spt&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=spt&filter=p&access=p&q=the+sterns+hamburgers&x=15&y=5']The Splendid Table[/url]
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1