Donut Alert

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
i95
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Donut Alert 2003/11/24 12:05:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jm199

I have to second RC51Mike's comments of October 15, 2003 regarding Oram's donuts in Beaver Falls, PA (home of Joe Willie Namath of the NY JETS). Where else can you get donuts in crushed pecans? ones filled with key lime filling? Cinnamon rolls so big that locals call them hubcaps???? I am going there on Wednesday for our holiday order. This year it is 17 dozen. Neighbors flock to our house for these donuts, and we live 45 miles away from Orams! You owe it to yourself to visit them if you are in the greater Pittsburgh area! ORAMS ROCKS!

www.orams.com

Wow!!! Do you know if they mail-order / overnight, jm199?
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Donut Alert 2003/11/24 19:21:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

Years ago in Lexington, Kentucky, my sweetie and I were stopped at a red light, waiting for the signal to change, and noticed a bumper sticker on the car in front of us. It read:

I WOULD SELL MY SOUL FOR FRIED BREAD

We decided the driver must be a donut lover.

We understood.

Actually fried bread is not quite donuts---though most of us fry bread fans also like donuts---Utah's "scones" are about the same as fry bread--and tasty tooI know i'd rather have freash fry bread covered with cinnamon sugar then a chocolate donut anyday!

jm199
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Donut Alert 2003/11/24 19:36:26 (permalink)
Dont know if they do overnite delivery, ....call them and ask...they are the friendliest folks. I will ask them when i am in there Wednesday picking up our order....

My little nieces love going there, for they are treated like princesses....the people there let them take their time in making their selections, and always give them the biggest donuts with the most sprinkles on them!

Good luck in your quest....

www.orams.com

ORAMS ROCKS!!!!!!!!!
jm199
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 218
RE: Donut Alert 2003/11/29 12:23:55 (permalink)
I asked the fine people at ORAMS if they did mail order, and they said NO, they did not...they are just too busy making the finest donuts in the world!!!

Our 17 dozen are almost gone...thank goodness i froze 1/2 dozen of the cinnamon rolls. they are great when taken out of the freezer, put in the fridge overnite and then heated in the microwave for twenty seconds...great with french vanilla ice cream!!!

thank goodness i have a hockey game today to shed some pounds!!!

www.orams.com

check out their website for pictures of their world famous donuts and their HUGE CINNAMON ROLLS!!! it is ok to lick your computer screen!!!

ORAMS ROCKS!!! TELL THEM JOHN SENT YOU!!!!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: Donut Alert 2004/06/07 08:48:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spadoman

This thread makes me want to get on the road and do donuts. I ate at a small donut shop/bakery in central Indiana many years ago, well, less than 10 years ago. I can't remember the town, but they had a lot of antique shops. Anyway, they advertised the best raised donuts. they were glazed and soft and sweet and BOY, were they good. Anyone know where this place is at? I bought a half dozen and ate them all washed down with coffee in a styrofoam cup that was good but not great.

I don't know if this is the place (probaby not because they make great coffee) but my favorite donuts came from Mr Freshie in Rushville, IN. It was owned by two brothers who were real characters. In the fall, they made applesauce cake donuts which were fantastic. I usually ordered plain, unglazed cake donuts, but their yeast donuts were great too. I saw they had closed the last time I was down there. I hope its not permanent.
luvthacolts
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Donut Alert 2004/07/03 17:49:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by spadoman

This thread makes me want to get on the road and do donuts. I ate at a small donut shop/bakery in central Indiana many years ago, well, less than 10 years ago. I can't remember the town, but they had a lot of antique shops. Anyway, they advertised the best raised donuts. they were glazed and soft and sweet and BOY, were they good. Anyone know where this place is at? I bought a half dozen and ate them all washed down with coffee in a styrofoam cup that was good but not great.
Could it be Donut Den in Zionsville?? We have a local family in Evansville, IN, that makes great donuts, fruit fritters, and pastries. Their shops are called Donut Bank. Great coffee, too.
MissAndrea
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Donut Alert 2008/01/14 16:44:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Are there any Dixie Cream donut shops still out there?

Oddly enough - and I don't know if it's a one-shot stop or a small-ish chain, but I stopped at a Dixie Cream Doughnuts shop in Mount Vernon, Illinois when I was visiting relatives in December. It wasn't a planned stop, but we passed it and my passenger mentioned that the doughnuts were outstanding. It looked really neighborhood-y, so I pulled a u-turn and stopped in. WOW - Yum-bo. Just got a simple jelly doughnut (they all looked amazing - but after multiple holiday meals I couldn't manage more than one).

Normally I don't like jelly doughnuts, but this one looked the best and simplest, and so seemed like it would be an excellent measure against which the other doughnuts might be judged (the yeast ones - all the cake doughnuts were already gone). Plus, I wanted to see what the filling was like.

Hurray! The doughnut was fresh and gave way under tooth, but retained that slightly chewy resistance that marks a good yeast doughnut. Best of all, however, the filling was actual jammy jelly - not that creepy, gelatinous jelly with a nearly Blob-like consistency that oozes from most (DD, specifically) filled doughnuts. I sincerely regret I did not sample the cream-filled ones, including a fabulous monstrosity, the cream-filled horn.

Didn't try the coffee - it didn't seem like a real grabber. But there was a little cafe with seating near the service, and the best part of the overall ambiance was an older couple writing out checks and paying bills at one of the tables, each with a cup of coffee and a doughnut. I got the distinct sense that this was a weekly or monthly ritual for them, and it definitely added to the down-home feel.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
RE: Donut Alert 2008/01/15 21:20:11 (permalink)
another subjective top 10 list. how impressive. how come nobody asks me?
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
RE: Donut Alert 2008/01/15 23:12:23 (permalink)
This thread reminded me of this article on America's Top Doughnuts: http://food.yahoo.com/blog/edlevineeats/7963/america-s-best-doughnuts

The article used to give credit to each recommendation, and Earl's Donuts in Chatsworth, CA had the Stern stamp on it (the superscript links have since been removed, though the legend[in the 'Honor Roll' section] explains the deal). This article was published on May 31, 2007, not even a month after Amy posted her new user review of Earl's (Chatsworth is her hometown) on the RF site. To our knowledge, Jane & Michael have never been to Earl's, but it sure was cool seeing our review referenced on another site! Kinda like Buffetbuster getting that press for eating his way through Milwaukee awhile back... Chris
LoveMyLab
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Donut Alert 2008/01/16 10:21:26 (permalink)
I am sitting here smilingly amused. Everyone has an opinion that their donut place is the best. Even bringing up BBQ, hot dogs, or hamburgers does not bring out the line drawn in the sand.

Therefore, I want everyone to know the BEST donut shop in the entire U.S of A. is in Sandy, Oregon. On the way up to Mt. Hood to play in the snow, Joe's Donuts!

Laura
MissAndrea
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Donut Alert 2008/01/16 10:28:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by LoveMyLab

the line drawn in the sand.

Therefore, I want everyone to know the BEST donut shop in the entire U.S of A. is in Sandy, Oregon. On the way up to Mt. Hood to play in the snow, Joe's Donuts!

Laura

How fun! I have family in OR, and have driven thru Gov't Camp countless times on the way from Portland - I hope the next time I'm out there I can check this place out!
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Donut Alert 2008/01/16 10:32:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sk bob

another subjective top 10 list. how impressive. how come nobody asks me?

well, the list was from 2003.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Donut Alert 2008/01/21 13:17:23 (permalink)
The original link is dead. Here is the Sterns' list:

10 Great Donut Stops

Allie's Donuts: 3661 Quaker Lane (Rt. 2), North Kingstown, Rhode Island (401) 295-8036

Phillips Diner: Route 6, Woodbury, Connecticut (203) 263-2516

Lange's Café: 110 8th Ave. SE. Pipeston, MN (507) 825-4488

Butler's Donut House: 461 Sanford Rd., Westport, MA (508) 672-4600

Lou's Donuts: 387 Delmas, San Jose, CA (408) 295-5887

Cupcake Café: 522 9th Ave. New York, NY (212) 465-1530

Donut Delight: 3605 Dunn Rd., Florissant, MO (314) 838-4856

Neil's Donut & Bake Shop: 83 North Turnpike Rd., Yalesville, CT (203) 269-4255

Friske's Farm Market: 10743 N. US 31, Ellsworth, MI (231) 599-2604

Randy's Donuts: 805 West Manchester Ave., Inglewood, CA 310-645-4707
vwgto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Donut Alert 2008/01/21 22:59:49 (permalink)
I guess everyone has their own opinion on what makes a great dounut -- much like many other food that is cranked-out by local shops. I moved to Texas a few years ago and never saw so many independent donut shops. Folks in Texas are serious donut eaters....
Kenny da Fat Man
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
RE: Donut Alert 2008/02/17 10:44:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jm199

I have to second RC51Mike's comments of October 15, 2003 regarding Oram's donuts in Beaver Falls, PA (home of Joe Willie Namath of the NY JETS). Where else can you get donuts in crushed pecans? ones filled with key lime filling? Cinnamon rolls so big that locals call them hubcaps???? I am going there on Wednesday for our holiday order. This year it is 17 dozen. Neighbors flock to our house for these donuts, and we live 45 miles away from Orams! You owe it to yourself to visit them if you are in the greater Pittsburgh area! ORAMS ROCKS!

Sorry guys - Just my opinion - But I think Orams is just Mediocre. Bigger ain't always better. I think they got some notariety from a PBS show - and now they are off to the races.

I think A & B's in Homestead is better, and I think Better-Made Donuts in the West End is better. Equally as good (maybe better) are Dutz's and Schorr's. Walnut topping and Key Lime filling is not all that hard to find. (By the way, you can get key lime filling at Krisp Kreme - gasp). Just my humble opinion. Don't let Rick Sebek fool ya!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Donut Alert 2008/02/17 12:04:38 (permalink)
Portland. Oregon has two Stern's reviewed donut shops, Annie's Donuts and Voodoo Donuts. Both are worth a stop.
zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
RE: Donut Alert 2008/02/17 12:46:26 (permalink)
In their review, the Sterns thought Top Pot in Seattle is as good as any Northeast doughnut place. That's a good recommendation!

It's a great place.

http://www.toppotdoughnuts.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1