Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Michael Stern
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1034
2003/09/18 04:54:03 (permalink)

Donut Alert

We've just posted a donut top-ten list at Epicurious.com:

http://eat.epicurious.com/restaurant/sterns/index.ssf?/restaurant/sterns/donuts.html

46 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/18 09:58:19 (permalink)
    Hi Michael.

Aren't there any good donut places in the south? I'm disappointed that none were from the south.

John
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/18 13:57:04 (permalink)
    Yeah !! Me too !!

There are plenty of good donut places in the south !!!! We have a local donut place in my hometown that serves fresh made donuts daily !!! Wish they didn't have any calories in'em !!!

Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/18 14:24:55 (permalink)
    Are there any Dixie Cream donut shops still out there?
    fummunda
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/18 15:11:19 (permalink)
    Kansas City's acknowledged favorite donut shop, Lamar's in midtown, has closed its doors. It's not in the Top 10 in the country list, but Ray Lamar's donuts have become icons in this town. A few years ago he began franchising the name with some success, but the franchises donuts are no better than K***** K****, so hoop-di-doo. Ray Lamar's a nonogenarian and he wasn't willing to bring the original location up to current health standars, so he's closed down. God knows he could use the rest. On a hopeful note, his kids are working up a plan to open it again, so maybe we'll be graced with those tasty wheel's o'gold before too long. In the meantime, people on the Kansas side of the state line can still enjoy John's Space Age Donuts in downtown Overland Park, which are pretty darned good and win points just for the name alone.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/18 18:31:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by RibDog

Hi Michael.

Aren't there any good donut places in the south? I'm disappointed that none were from the south.

John

Yep, Irish Maid Donuts Pine Bluff Arkansas. The Best Ever!
    Jim Ross
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/18 21:00:15 (permalink)
    Surely you've had Round Rock Donut's in Round Rock Texas. How could they not make the list.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/21 19:50:00 (permalink)
    I never had a Round Rock. I wish someone would post a review ... or at least a picture. It's going to be a while before we can get there.
    wallhd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 432
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/21 20:37:51 (permalink)
    I'm sure that the "top 10" is and will be the subject of much debate.

First of all, with tongue only slightly in cheek, I would ask if you consulted any police officers regarding top 10 donut shop recommendations?

Also I would nominate Tobey's just off I-35 in Hinckley, Minnesota to a position in the top 10.

Wally
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/21 23:49:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fummunda

In the meantime, people on the Kansas side of the state line can still enjoy John's Space Age Donuts in downtown Overland Park, which are pretty darned good and win points just for the name alone.

I'll second that. John's glazed are just plain amazing. I'm so happy the place is still open! I'll have to stop by on my next visit to the in-laws. (I'll need something to look forward to. )
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/22 08:33:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

I never had a Round Rock. I wish someone would post a review ... or at least a picture. It's going to be a while before we can get there.

Hi Michael. Here's a picture of the Round Rock donuts I had posted on a thread some time ago.

spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/23 08:18:18 (permalink)
    This thread makes me want to get on the road and do donuts. I ate at a small donut shop/bakery in central Indiana many years ago, well, less than 10 years ago. I can't remember the town, but they had a lot of antique shops. Anyway, they advertised the best raised donuts. they were glazed and soft and sweet and BOY, were they good. Anyone know where this place is at? I bought a half dozen and ate them all washed down with coffee in a styrofoam cup that was good but not great.
    Lovehandle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/29 20:31:16 (permalink)
    In the New York area I think the best place for donuts is the Donut Plant on Grand St. in Manhattan. The donuts are very big there but are excelent.
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/30 12:04:27 (permalink)
    Donut Plant does indeed produce king-sized donuts but those monsters come at a price, about $2 apiece last time I was there. But considering it's New York, what the heck? Also notable are the many offbeat donut flavors, like pistachio and malted milk. As a bonus, the Donut Plant is located next to Kossar's Bialys, the epicenter of the bialy universe.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lovehandle

In the New York area I think the best place for donuts is the Donut Plant on Grand St. in Manhattan. The donuts are very big there but are excelent.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/30 13:35:35 (permalink)
    So what does making a big donut solve !!

That's kind of like telling the pizza place to cut your pizza in 8 slices instead of twelve ... cause you could not possibly eat twelve slices !!!

I'd still rather have a bunch of little donuts and just eat my self silly with them ...
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/30 13:56:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

That's kind of like telling the pizza place to cut your pizza in 8 slices instead of twelve ... cause you could not possibly eat twelve slices !!!

Kind of reminds me of that scene in "Spinal Tap" when Nigel is showing the reporter his amp. It is REALLY LOUD because you can turn it up to "11"
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2885
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/30 14:34:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:

Kind of reminds me of that scene in "Spinal Tap" when Nigel is showing the reporter his amp. It is REALLY LOUD because you can turn it up to "11"

"Well, why don't you just make 10 louder, and have 10 be the loudest?"

"...But this one goes to 11."

BTW A MIGHTY WIND is excellent!
    jpatweb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/09/30 15:46:29 (permalink)
    I, too, prefer variety over bulk, but if for some reason I had to choose one item from among the realm of supersized foods (72-oz steaks, 2-lb burgers, 18-inch hot dogs, etc.), I'll take the big donut every time.
    quote:

I'd still rather have a bunch of little donuts and just eat my self silly with them ...
    ces1948
    • Total Posts : 1512
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/10/02 14:31:34 (permalink)
    We were recently in Lexington, KY for a weekend. I went out early Saturday morning looking for Spalding's which was highly recommened. I never could find Spalding's but ran across a place called Macgee's bakery on Richmond rd I think. I believe their sign said they had been there since the 30's. The donuts were wonderful and it is hard to imagine Spalding's being better. Still wish I could have out.

Charlie
    johnmessner
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/10/03 12:25:03 (permalink)
    A major over sight in your top 10 donut shops in America is Leonards Bakery on Oahu in Hawaii on Kapahulu Ave. They make the best malasadas. It's a portugeese donut- fluffy batter, no hole, covered in sugar. MMMMMMmmmmmmm!
    Sugarkube
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/10/12 11:34:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jim Ross

Surely you've had Round Rock Donut's in Round Rock Texas. How could they not make the list.
    Hi, I live in Waco. I'll have to try those Round Rock Donuts- the name is not too inviting,though,LOL! We have 'Shipleys' here. They suck! You should see the line up at the drive-thru every day. What these people see in them is beyond me!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/10/12 17:17:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sugarkube

Hi, I live in Waco. I'll have to try those Round Rock Donuts- the name is not too inviting,though,LOL!

Just head down "35", take a left when you get to paradise...
    Sugarkube
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/10/12 17:26:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
    Originally posted by Sugarkube

Hi, I live in Waco. I'll have to try those Round Rock Donuts- the name is not too inviting,though,LOL!

Just head down "35", take a left when you get to paradise...
    LOL! Mmmmmmmmmm...Thanks...will do ASAP. BTW~I do know where Round Rock is/our ChemLawn guy came from there .
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/10/15 07:46:45 (permalink)
    I had the pleasure this weekend of coming across Oram's Donuts from Beaver Falls, PA, near Pittsburgh. Absolutely great donut. Larger than most, light fluffy, no chemical aftertaste. Just about the highlight of my weekend.

http://www.orams.com/
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/10/15 07:57:19 (permalink)
    In frederick Md, Clustered Spires Bakery has wonderful Donuts . Limited varitys
    only three ,but of substance , not the light chain type
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/11/01 18:44:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ces1948

We were recently in Lexington, KY for a weekend. I went out early Saturday morning looking for Spalding's which was highly recommened. I never could find Spalding's but ran across a place called Macgee's bakery on Richmond rd I think. I believe their sign said they had been there since the 30's. The donuts were wonderful and it is hard to imagine Spalding's being better. Still wish I could have out.

Charlie

It's no surprise that Spalding's comes highly recommended for its doughnuts. Lexington folk have long considered Spalding’s Bakery a community treasure because of their superior glazed doughnut.

In the 35 years I’ve lived in Lexington, I’ve never had glazed doughnuts better than those made in this small family business. And I’ve tried them all.

Charlie, I’m genuinely sorry you didn't locate the shop, but hope you'll have an opportunity to try again before this venerable establishment's older owners retire. Had you found it about 7 A.M. that Saturday morning, you would have been fascinated to find yourself in a line that included folks from all over the county. The line moves fast and folks continue filing in until all the doughnuts are sold (the cake doughnuts last a little longer).

At 6:57 AM on a recent Saturday morning, I became the 37 th person in line. Three minutes later, when the doors opened, there were 6 more people behind me.

B.J. Spalding Bakery is at 574 North Limestone Street. It's on the SE corner of Limestone and 6th Street in an unadorned white painted brick building with a Victorian facade. The brother and sister owners make and fry the doughnuts and are assisted by the sister’s daughter, who serves the public. The phone number is 859-252-3737.

I used to wonder if the doughnut's goodness came from being made with lard, as they look something like the doughnuts made in our family restaurant. When I eventually posed this question I was told that lard isn't used. The glazed doughnuts are made with vegetable shortening and fried in oil (one can look in the back and see the brother carefully frying them up the old fashioned way).

Every doughnut at Spalding’s is cut by hand, which is why they look homemade. Making and frying them by hand may explain why the quantity is limited. As long as I’ve known about Spalding’s, I’ve been aware that only early birds get the glazed doughnuts.

Spalding’s is open for business four days a week–Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The doors open at 7 AM and close between 9 and 10 AM, when all the doughnuts are sold. They do bake a few cakes and brownies, but they’re basically a doughnut shop.

One other note about Spalding's glazed doughnuts: The icing covers the entire doughnut; it is not thin icing, either. Folks love all this sweetness, but I need to remove some of it to fully appreciate the doughnut. The glazed doughnuts, which are the only ones I've eaten, are absolutely delicious.

Incidentally, I've met more than one downtown worker and legal type who blame some of their girth on this family bakery. I blame them too!

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/11/02 19:27:49 (permalink)
    I was so happy to see Lou's Living Museum of Donuts in San Jose, CA make the list. Ambience and delectability all in one stop. I second the nomination of this local legend into the national top ten.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

We've just posted a donut top-ten list at Epicurious.com:

http://eat.epicurious.com/restaurant/sterns/index.ssf?/restaurant/sterns/donuts.html

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/11/02 19:32:14 (permalink)
    A couple of Canadian entries -- Granowska's Bakery on Roncesvalles Avenue in the Toronto's Polish neighborhood located in the city's west end. It sits near several delis all of whom serve great Polish jam and prune filled donuts. A second place is a small shop in Elmvale, Ontario, located about 2 hours north of Toronto -- great homemade donuts. If you are travelling in Canada -- don't be beguiled by the natives who swear by Tim Horton's -- those donuts are little better than their Dunkin Donut cousins.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/11/19 03:17:48 (permalink)
    Years ago in Lexington, Kentucky, my sweetie and I were stopped at a red light, waiting for the signal to change, and noticed a bumper sticker on the car in front of us. It read:
    I WOULD SELL MY SOUL FOR FRIED BREAD

We decided the driver must be a donut lover.

We understood.

jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Donut Alert 2003/11/24 12:00:38 (permalink)
    I have to second RC51Mike's comments of October 15, 2003 regarding Oram's donuts in Beaver Falls, PA (home of Joe Willie Namath of the NY JETS). Where else can you get donuts in crushed pecans? ones filled with key lime filling? Cinnamon rolls so big that locals call them hubcaps???? I am going there on Wednesday for our holiday order. This year it is 17 dozen. Neighbors flock to our house for these donuts, and we live 45 miles away from Orams! You owe it to yourself to visit them if you are in the greater Pittsburgh area! ORAMS ROCKS!

www.orams.com

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1