Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Jacydawn711
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/01 12:32:49 (permalink)
I have to admit, I'm a fan of Hot Fresh Now KK Original Glazed. However, I don't like KKs if they are not warm.

One thing DD has going for them that will always keep me there is Munchkins. I love 'em and nobody else compares.
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/10 12:17:15 (permalink)
We don't have DD in the Seattle area, but have several KK's. The first one which opened in the Seattle area was in Issaquah, about 4 years ago.

It instantly became the highest volume KK anywhere in the U.S. The lines of cars queued up to drive through, and poeple parking to walk inside, caused traffic tie-ups for weeks and weeks.

Within a year or so, the anti-carb craze really hit. The lines subsided. Now, the customer traffic is "normal" and the lines of cars have moved to the drive-through Starbucks very close by.

I agree that the KK regular galzed is their best. I prefer that to the more traditional ""cake" doughnut served elsewhere.
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/11 16:14:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Personally I think they both suck

BRAVO

However, that said, I do miss D&D coffee in Southern NM. Starbucks coffee doesn't cut it for me.
BakersBoy
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/11 17:01:11 (permalink)
So. Here is my history(a short one) with donuts. I grew up in a very small town and the first donuts I recall were the ones that my grandmother deep fried on the stove in our house. They were cake and she would dip them in melted chocolate or just put confectioners sugar on them. They were pretty good.

Second, I was a disc jockey at WDOE in Dunkirk, NY. I opened the station at six in the morning. Before that I would go the "Mr.Donuts" shop that had opened (24 hours a day) and buy 2 peanut donuts and a cup of coffee to get me through the morning. These were the best donuts that I have ever had.

Third. After a misguided college experience ie.no donuts, I became a cop in Baltimore. In the area where I worked if you were working the mid-night shift there was literally no place to eat our get a cup of coffee. This was 1977 long before the expansion of 7-11 and their like. We would "sneak" out of our post to go to the 24 hour Dunkin Donuts to get coffee (still the best IMHO) and a couple of donuts.

Forth. In 1989, I had left my job in B'More and became a law enforcement agent on a larger scale. I was detailed to Bristol, Va. and it was there that I had my first contact with Krispy Kreme. They were located directly across from the the Holiday Inn where we were staying. Maybe this was an annonomly but these were the worst donuts that I have ever had. I tried them several times all with the same result.

Fifth. Since that time I have limited my donut content. Yeah you have to eat something at 4:00am and Mr. Donut is long gone and the Mom and Pop's are not open. So If I had to choose I would go to a Dunkin Donut. They do have pumpkin muffins, something KK dosen't.

Stay Safe

BB (Kevin)
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/13 13:05:12 (permalink)
"2 peanut donuts and a cup of coffee to get me through the morning. These were the best donuts that I have ever had."

The does bring back memories. I don't remember Mr. Donut that well (I was a kid and most of the times we went there were on late-night drives) but now that you mention it, I remember those peanut donuts. They were good!
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 368
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/16 15:51:08 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CoastFan

We don't have DD in the Seattle area, but have several KK's. The first one which opened in the Seattle area was in Issaquah, about 4 years ago.

It instantly became the highest volume KK anywhere in the U.S. The lines of cars queued up to drive through, and poeple parking to walk inside, caused traffic tie-ups for weeks and weeks.

Within a year or so, the anti-carb craze really hit. The lines subsided. Now, the customer traffic is "normal" and the lines of cars have moved to the drive-through Starbucks very close by.

I agree that the KK regular galzed is their best. I prefer that to the more traditional ""cake" doughnut served elsewhere.

actually, right before KK showed up in issaquah, all of the DD locations in washington dissapeared... we lost all of the boston markets around the same time as well.
GB944
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/16 17:27:54 (permalink)
Mmmmmmm! Doughnuts!!!
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/20 23:59:35 (permalink)
I love them both. Dunkin rules for Coffee but KK definitely takes the cake (in my book) for donuts. Like JohnA said, there are DDs all over the south. Here in S. Florida, they are everywhere, whereas the KKs are starting to disappear. Two stores have already closed while the DDs are always packed down here.

metacomet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/25 12:18:52 (permalink)
Dunkin Donuts, definitely. Though I'll admit I've only had the KK glazed. Hot and fresh they tasted like no more than a clump of buttery sugar melting in my mouth. I can understand the appeal of that to many, but I like a bit more substance to my donuts.

Though I'd prefer Allie's Donuts (RI) or the basic and satisfying cinnamon sugar ones from the now long gone Doughnut Shoppe on Main St in Manchester, CT over either.
MTG2901
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2006/12/28 04:11:10 (permalink)
Where can I find an AMY JOY Donut...I haven't had one in YEARS when I lived in Washington, DC. They closed down and I have never had a more wonderful donut since!!! PLEASE HELP ME FIND AN AMY JOY DONUT!!

quote:
Originally posted by DavidEMartin

KKs stay edible longer. If I have the patience and willpower to strecth a dozen out over 4 days, the KKs are still fine. DDs, on the other hand, develop an nasty aftertaste after a couple days and any chocolate icing has melted as the corn sweetener seperated.

Variety-- DD wins.

Texture and substance-- KK wins. The donuts are solid and filling. KKs tend to have too much air.

And the winner?
AMY JOY!!!!!!!!! 78 VARIETIES OF DONUTS!!!!!!!!
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/01/01 23:36:36 (permalink)
Not that I really like donuts, Krispy Kreme is horrible. They make a really terrible donut. Those glazed donuts were too glazed and the texture of the donut wasn't any good in my opinion.
NichRich
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/17 18:46:56 (permalink)
Krispy Kreme hands down BUT if you're ever in Lexington, KY you HAVE to have a Spaldings doughnut. You'll think you died and went to heaven. Check them out on Winchester Rd.
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 204
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/17 19:26:01 (permalink)
I don't like either one. I do like

http://fl.local.yahoo.biz/dandeedonutsfactory/

Jonathan
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/17 20:44:23 (permalink)
Here's a little math for anyone considering: Krispy Kreme got no soup or egg on bagel sammies. Or Fred.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/18 00:04:39 (permalink)
KK's are only good if they are 2+ days old. Fresh ones taste like balls of greasy uncooked dough. Overall, DD's are much better, especially the origional ones.
iqdiva
  • Total Posts : 1491
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/18 00:10:46 (permalink)
Please...Krispy Kreme is the best !
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/18 00:51:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

"2 peanut donuts and a cup of coffee to get me through the morning. These were the best donuts that I have ever had."

The does bring back memories. I don't remember Mr. Donut that well (I was a kid and most of the times we went there were on late-night drives) but now that you mention it, I remember those peanut donuts. They were good!

I remember those peanut donuts from Mr. Donut!! They were great! I do recall, however, that for years in my town in upstate New York we had no Dunkin Donuts at all. When DD eventually came in, the Mr. Donut was no more.
Add me to the list of people who do not get the obsession with Krispy Kreme...I have eaten them warm, cold, glazed, chocolate-covered, you name it...they are all way too sugary for me.
I have long stopped eating donuts, but Dunkin Donuts coffee is still my favorite.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/18 10:48:57 (permalink)
Back when DD made their donuts fresh (on site), they generally had an excellent product. Now (many years) that they ship them around the country from a few central bakeries, they are really crap - tasting like week-old, highly preserved products). Then again, even though they are usually fresh, I've never found a KK to be of much interest, tasting too much like Wonderbread with a lot of sugar.

When it comes down to a donut, I agree fully with a previous poster. After having an Allie's donut (N kingstown, RI), there's not much interest in having one elsewhere.

Then again, DD is more interested in selling coffee. Donuts have become a sideline for them (and certainly NOT worth wasting one's intake calories on them).
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7898
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/18 10:52:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mjambro

When it comes down to a donut, I agree fully with a previous poster. After having an Allie's donut (N kingstown, RI), there's not much interest in having one elsewhere.

Absolutely,

Allie's is the best. Even Honeydew puts out a much better product than Dunkin or KK.
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/18 13:58:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by frogger67

It depends on the type of donut.
Krispy Kreme makes great cruellers and their regular iced donut is great.
But I don't care for their jelly donuts, custard, chocolate glazed, etc......Donut Donuts probably wins because they have more variety of donuts.

Next question: What happened to Mr. Donut?

OOh Yeah Mr donut used to have great peanut cake donuts with the peanuts stuck to the cake w/ sugar glaze- "MMMMMMMM forbidden donuts" and damn fine toasted coconut, raised type but delish nonetheless!
Wandering Chew
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 121
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/18 14:00:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Barry

Don't like either, I live near an excellent doughnut shop (Coffee An' in Westport, CT) that blows either away. But I would take Krispy Kreme over Dunkin' any day.

BRAGGART!!!!
Miami is a donut wasteland...but our coco y queso pastelito beats the snot out of yours!
db1105
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/19 15:19:26 (permalink)
They both sell fried air dough in my opinion. I allways hit a local bakery for "real" donuts.
naxet76
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 351
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/19 15:23:10 (permalink)
I don't like either too much. I prefer Shipley's Donuts here in San Antonio. they are soooooooooooo soft and sweet and airy. They Kolaches with sausage and cheese are really good, too.
mollydingle
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 221
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/20 12:57:16 (permalink)
Not a big fan of donuts or coffee, but DD is WAY better than KK! When KK opened in Medford,Ma., it was a mob scene. Then after a visit or two, most folks went 'meh' and returned to DD. Honey Dew is very good as is Kane's, rte. 1 Saugus.
jparis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/03/20 14:03:29 (permalink)
Absolutely nothing is better than a late night out driving and you pass by the Krispy Kreme HOT sign and grab a dozen...but you HAVE to sit there at the store and watch the machines make the donuts as you eat half a dozen

I don't mind Fresh KKs cold, I actually like them better that way. But, I will NEVER buy convenience store or grocery store KKs...they are ALWAYS crummy.
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/07/06 13:16:18 (permalink)
I'd have to say that KK has the best glazed by far...when they are heated! Dunkin Donuts has a better variety and the best buttercrunch donuts EVER! There is however a place here in CT called The Whole Donut that makes the best mini donuts (NOT munchkins/donut holes...actual mini donuts) in the chocolate glazed flavor...they stay soft and fresh for so long! MMmmm..I would kill for one of those right now!

Oh and for the people that think that DD has good coffee...you people have obviously never tasted "real" coffee...DD coffee, to me, is just flavored water with a caramel color...Starbucks by far as the best coffee.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7898
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/07/06 13:25:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foxyfishy14

...Starbucks by far as the best coffee.

Starbucks used to be good, before they franchised out and the quality went downhill. Now the coffee tastes stale.

I do agree, Dunkin Donuts Coffee is not coffee, but flavored water with lots of Heavy Cream.

I still think that most (not all) of the local coffee houses have the best coffee.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/07/06 13:39:22 (permalink)
krispy kreme glazed are good hot off the conveyor belt but the rest of their donuts leave a lot to be desired. Dunkin donuts variety are much better. I love their coffee. the local donut shops are good here but they close to early, many by 10 am.
chickenwingking
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/08/16 13:32:01 (permalink)
KK has incredible donuts and excellent coffee. They had a run of openings in the northeast but most of the shops seemed to close up very quickly. I heard their management was very shortsighted and created a financial drain on franchisees by requiring them to buy certain items directly instead of buying locally at a better price.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme 2007/08/20 16:05:46 (permalink)
I was DD fan for many years (got the lbs for proof), but after they stopped making donuts fresh (all are now shipped in (weekly?) from several centralized factories), it was easy to give up in donuts. DD's have become quite inedible in recent years & I find KK's to be basically Wonderbread with a lot of sugar.

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1