Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 105
Nacho

• Total Posts: 33
Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 1:43 PM (permalink)
Uh oh.... Dunkin' Donuts is moving into the south. They now intend to compete with financially rocked Krispy Creme.....

http://www.restaurantedge.com/index.phtml?news=1&newsid=1483

Personally, I like Dunkin' Donuts better.... But that's just me!

Nacho!

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
    RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 2:01 PM (permalink)
    I prefer Dunkin Donuts too, but I miss all my local bakery/donughnut shops I grew up with in Syracuse, NY

BTB

• Total Posts: 207
      RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 2:14 PM (permalink)
      No contest with me. Krispie Kreme is far, far superior in my estimation than Dunkin Donuts. Dunkin Donuts is going far afield with breakfast sandwiches, coffee products, and other things. I always thought their coffee was more like colored water with little coffee taste to it. I can't knock their donuts as being bad, though, but the hot glazed Krispie Kreme donut is a great product that I would go out of my way for. Not so with Dunkin Donuts.

Nacho

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 2:24 PM (permalink)
        See, I've often seen Krispy Creme donuts as being these gas-station types.... dried out, day old, etc.

But I'm way up north, so that may have a lot to do with it. Dunkin' Donuts have got awesome coffee too, which is cool!

Nacho!

Texianjoe

• Total Posts: 639
          RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 2:41 PM (permalink)
          I like Dunkin better, only becouse I grew up eating them. I have only had KK twice before they closed the store near me.
          At the risk of going OT funny story. My best friends wife craved Dunkin Chocolate filled while pregnant. He picks me up one morning 3am no DD choco filled anywhere. We go to Shipley donuts and put them in a Duncan box. She opens the box takes one look and says"These are Shipleys" and throws the box at us. Moral, you just can't fool some people and pregnant women have no sense of humor.

joe

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
            RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 2:49 PM (permalink)
            Here in the homeland of DD common wisdom is that each new shop will significantly increase the number of traffic incidents at the location. Personally, my Wife and I learned within three months of moving to Boston to plan our driving trips so as to avoid DDs. (My favorites are the people who are in such a rush for a fix they actually drive into the restaurant.)

Granted, folks in the South and West are not Boston drivers. But this could be a real social experiment.

You have been warned.

ctchank

• Total Posts: 48
              RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 2:53 PM (permalink)
              Both produce quality products. I really like DD's new coffee concoctions...it really compliments the great donuts!

V960

• Total Posts: 2429
                RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 3:07 PM (permalink)
                Apples and oranges...both call them donuts but they are totally different.

Nacho

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 3:12 PM (permalink)
                  I too like both. However, I grew up with Dunkin' Donuts here in Michigan, so I'm much more used to them here. Krispy Creme doesn't have any retail locations of their own. All they have are these little stands in the 7-11's etc.

Nacho!

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 3:22 PM (permalink)
                    WE WANT SPUDNUTS
                    WE WANT SPUDNUTS
                    WE WANT SPUDNUTS

frogger67

• Total Posts: 156
                      RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 3:59 PM (permalink)
                      It depends on the type of donut.
                      Krispy Kreme makes great cruellers and their regular iced donut is great.
                      But I don't care for their jelly donuts, custard, chocolate glazed, etc......Donut Donuts probably wins because they have more variety of donuts.

Next question: What happened to Mr. Donut?

ctchank

• Total Posts: 48
                        RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 4:02 PM (permalink)
                        I believe they were bought out by DD. DD still uses the Mr. Donut brand in some markets outside of the US.

roadrash

• Total Posts: 231
                          RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/25/06 4:34 PM (permalink)
                          If you can get the KK glazed donuts fresh out of oven, then they are dense little gifts from heaven. If not, Dunkin Donuts slays them at room temperature.

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
                            RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Thu, 10/26/06 12:26 AM (permalink)
                            I'm not a big glazed doughnut fan so Krispy Kreme kind of fails for me. I prefer Dunkin Donuts as their cake doughnuts and custard filled are much, much better.

John A

• Total Posts: 4295
                              RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Thu, 10/26/06 7:02 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by Nacho

Uh oh.... Dunkin' Donuts is moving into the south. They now intend to compete with financially rocked Krispy Creme.....

http://www.restaurantedge.com/index.phtml?news=1&newsid=1483

Personally, I like Dunkin' Donuts better.... But that's just me!

Nacho!

Moving into the South? I've been here 28 years, there were two DD's when I moved here, now there are 6-8 within a 20 minute drive.

John

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Thu, 10/26/06 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Ashphalt

Here in the homeland of DD common wisdom is that each new shop will significantly increase the number of traffic incidents at the location. Personally, my Wife and I learned within three months of moving to Boston to plan our driving trips so as to avoid DDs. (My favorites are the people who are in such a rush for a fix they actually drive into the restaurant.)

Granted, folks in the South and West are not Boston drivers. But this could be a real social experiment.

You have been warned.
                                This actually happend to our Dunkin Donuts here. A car ran through the big plate glass window. For some odd reason, they never did open back up. We do have KK here and its very popular. But, I like DD too. What's wrong with having both?

pmrkr2

• Total Posts: 319
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Thu, 10/26/06 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                  i like em both

JBarry713

• Total Posts: 243
                                    RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Thu, 10/26/06 5:28 PM (permalink)
                                    Don't like either, I live near an excellent doughnut shop (Coffee An' in Westport, CT) that blows either away. But I would take Krispy Kreme over Dunkin' any day.

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                                      RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Thu, 10/26/06 5:46 PM (permalink)
                                      Krispy Kreme landed up here in the Boston area with a boom. When the one in Medford opened, word was you couldn't get near the place and the drive-through had like a 45-minute wait all day. When we finally discovered the ones in Saugus and Dedham, my whole family fell in love with their hot, fresh glazed donutes. Once in a great while, we would go there and order a dozen glazed donuts, and each get a coffee or hot chocolate, and that would be dinner (it's not something we'd do often, but it was enjoyable when we did). But as far as the other varieties, I don't really think they stood up to Dunkin's, and even the glazed were rather forgettable once they'd cooled.

My personal favorite Dunkin' is the vanilla cream filled, which is only available for a couple of months of the year. I once drove to about 6 different Dunkin'Donuts looking for the before I found an employee decent enough to tell me that they weren't available that time of the year. (Yeah, I know. Anyone in any of the first five I went to could have told me that, don't ya think?)

As for the Mr. Donut question - Weren't the original owners of the competing Dunkin' Donuts and Mr. Donut brothers? I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that they were in business together, or planning to be, when they had a falling out and opened separate, comopeting businesses. And years later, the thriving Dunkin' brother took over the not-quite-so successful Mr. Donut. I'm sure there's at least one other Bostonian here who has a better understanding of the story.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7399
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Thu, 10/26/06 5:54 PM (permalink)
                                        Personally I think they both suck
                                        Any donut from Dunkin Donuts is most likely going to taste like the stuffing from one of the seat cushions from my old couch. And Krispy Kreme? All you have to do is take a carton of granulated sugar, boil it in hot water for an hour or two and voila! You have a glazed krispy kreme donut. We have a regional chain here in New England called Honey Dew which blows both Dunkin and Krispy Kreme away, however for the best quality donuts- Allies right here in Rhode Island can't be beat!

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                          RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Thu, 10/26/06 11:45 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:
                                          Originally posted by wanderingjew

Personally I think they both suck

Ditto.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                                            RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Fri, 10/27/06 1:16 PM (permalink)
                                            Well when your in a town where the only, and I mean only, donut place is KK you take what you've got. Let me tell you that when they flash the "hot donuts" at KK and you go through the drive-thru and get a dozen, and start eating them in your car, they taste pretty darn good. By the time you get home half the box (or more) is gone. Nothing wrong with that (except for the empty calories and the "moment on the lips, lifetime on the hips.")

I never buy the KKs in a convenience store as they are stale and yucky tasting. But, why should I when the KK is only a mile away from my house.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                                              RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Fri, 10/27/06 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                              I like jelly donuts, thats about it and I think Dunkin Donuts are better.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                                                RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Fri, 10/27/06 4:52 PM (permalink)
                                                Grew up with both here too. Krispy Kreme hands down- and i've never even had a hot one! Their glazed raspberry are unreal.BTW they freeze quite nicely.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                                  RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sat, 10/28/06 12:21 AM (permalink)
                                                  Dunkin Donuts has left the Portland, Oregon market and Krispy Kreme is limited to the burbs. Voodoo Donuts downtown, Annie"s Donuts in Northeast Portland and Sesame Donuts are all better than KK.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
                                                    RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sat, 10/28/06 12:36 AM (permalink)
                                                    Some nights I lay awake dreaming of jelly donuts. I'd kill for one (dozen) now.

ynotryme

• Total Posts: 562
                                                      RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sat, 10/28/06 12:45 AM (permalink)
                                                      dunkin donuts, by far a much better variety. I especially like their blueberry crumble.

DavidEMartin

• Total Posts: 173
                                                        • Location: Milwaukee WI
                                                        RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Tue, 11/7/06 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                                        KKs stay edible longer. If I have the patience and willpower to strecth a dozen out over 4 days, the KKs are still fine. DDs, on the other hand, develop an nasty aftertaste after a couple days and any chocolate icing has melted as the corn sweetener seperated.

Variety-- DD wins.

Texture and substance-- KK wins. The donuts are solid and filling. KKs tend to have too much air.

And the winner?
                                                        AMY JOY!!!!!!!!! 78 VARIETIES OF DONUTS!!!!!!!!

Space

• Total Posts: 78
                                                          • Location: Bradenton, FL
                                                          RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sun, 11/26/06 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by Texianjoe

I like Dunkin better, only becouse I grew up eating them. I have only had KK twice before they closed the store near me.
                                                          At the risk of going OT funny story. My best friends wife craved Dunkin Chocolate filled while pregnant. He picks me up one morning 3am no DD choco filled anywhere. We go to Shipley donuts and put them in a Duncan box. She opens the box takes one look and says"These are Shipleys" and throws the box at us. Moral, you just can't fool some people and pregnant women have no sense of humor.

joe

Word to the Shipley Donuts!!!!

I just visited where I grew up in south Texas a couple of months ago for the first time in over 20 years, and one of my first stops was the Shipley's in McAllen for a warm cinnamon sugar donut, and it was good. I can die a happy man now.

Sundancer7

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Tue, 11/28/06 11:30 AM (permalink)
                                                            Another word for Shipley's doughnuts. I have been in Houston for several months and I certainly enjoy their hot glazed.

I am a KK fan but their hot glazed certainly equals or surpasses KK.

Paul E. Smith
                                                            Knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 105

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com