Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 105
Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Mon, 08/20/07 4:34 PM (permalink)
How about finding a bakery and getting your sweet tooth on there? Good bread will nail the excess poundage, too.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
    RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Mon, 08/20/07 4:38 PM (permalink)
    This debate just want me to look harder for a good independent donut shop. Both KK and DD are making growth and franchise mistake decisions that will make their donuts the equivalent of what McDonalds is to hamburgers. Thus, not worth debating. I don't care which is better.

Quartz

• Total Posts: 153
      RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Mon, 08/20/07 7:59 PM (permalink)
      Krispy Kreme Simply because I like Sugary stuff and their Donuts don't get as hard.

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
        RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Mon, 08/27/07 2:52 PM (permalink)
        Krispy Kreme hands down. Yeasty pillows of warm sugary icing....broke da mouth, brah.

Ackman

• Total Posts: 35
          RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sat, 09/29/07 7:37 PM (permalink)
          Prefer DD to Krispy Krap any day.

One of my grandfathers lives in Middlesex County, home to more DD than anywhere.

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
            RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sat, 09/29/07 7:49 PM (permalink)
            When we moved to Dallas from upstate NY there were several DD located nearby- now, 20+ years later- there is one DD and there is one KK- they are equally as far from me as you can get and still be in North Dallas- but DD is definately worth the trip!

the acting man

• Total Posts: 63
              RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Fri, 10/5/07 10:52 AM (permalink)
              You're missing out if you don't have a Yum Yum Bake Shop. Absolutely the best regional chain donut...

KK is dead to me. I had a bad experience with them, wrote to them about it, and corporate blew me off...not even an apology. I wasn't even a fan of their pastry when it wasn't right off the line, except for the fact that they seemingly had the impulse sale thing nailed with the red hot sign. Mighty Atkins and squeamish investors brought the mighty Krispy down in such a hurry, but I couldn't care less. I was always more of a Munchkin guy, anyways...

Fannie

• Total Posts: 6
                RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sun, 10/14/07 2:02 PM (permalink)
                No contest. IMO, and really, isn't that the only one that matters , Krispy Kreme is the only donut worth eating.

SassyGritsAL

• Total Posts: 1089
                  RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Mon, 10/15/07 2:34 PM (permalink)
                  I like the seasonal donuts that KK offer. My grandkids love them. I got a half dozen of the pumpkin face donuts Sat. evening and they were gone in a flash. Also, got a 1/2 dozen of the "Hot Now" donuts and inhaled one before I drove off the parking lot! It was hot, melt in you mouth good and yummy.

We don't have Dunkin Donuts here and no hometown type bakeries. Luckily I like KK.

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
                    RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Mon, 10/15/07 2:51 PM (permalink)
                    To me, this is just fast food - donut style, not Roadfood. Give me a great local donut from someone who cares anyday.

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
                      RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Mon, 10/15/07 10:35 PM (permalink)
                      LOYLESS DOUGHNUTS in Dothan,Alabama..... A wonderful locally owned family business... They beat out both Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts by far !

sistergldnhair66

• Total Posts: 12
                        RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/17/07 7:13 AM (permalink)
                        The only place to get KK around here are a few gas station stops. Used to be able to buy them in Quik Check, but they stopped carrying them. I do cave when I see them in the Exxon and each time DH and I go into our Hess, we remember when we would stop on the way home from work, get a hot cup of coffee, and two KK's each and eat them on the way home. KK is way above DD, I think. Haven't had a KK in three years since my gastric bypass...::::sigh::::::::;

iqdiva

• Total Posts: 1491
                          RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Wed, 10/17/07 7:27 AM (permalink)
                          Sistergldnhair,I also had gastric bypass...No doughnuts since 2003...Miss them,especially the lemon filled ones.

tbetz

• Total Posts: 2
                            RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sat, 05/29/10 9:28 AM (permalink)
                            ctchank

I believe they were bought out by DD. DD still uses the Mr. Donut brand in some markets outside of the US.

Actually Mister Donut (as opposed to "Mr Donut) abroad is a company independent of DD.  It's big in Japan, and the Phillippines, and is expanding elsewhere, but aside from the chairman of the board (who was a VP in the pre-DD Mister Donut) its top management is Middle Eastern.

However, there is a new "Mr Donut" chain (I have two stores near me) that makes a more KK-like donut, though with less frosting -- an improvement, by my lights.  "Mr Donut" uses a different logo from the old "Mister Donut", and emphasises its "green"-ness, for example, by packing its donuts in plain brown biodegradable paper bags.

I can't find any information about the new company on the web.
                            <message edited by tbetz on Sat, 05/29/10 9:31 AM>

dasl_4

• Total Posts: 187
                              Re:Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sat, 05/29/10 3:14 PM (permalink)
                              Dixie Cream for me

ayersian

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sat, 05/29/10 4:40 PM (permalink)
                                jvsmom

Krispy Kreme landed up here in the Boston area with a boom. When the one in Medford opened, word was you couldn't get near the place and the drive-through had like a 45-minute wait all day.

That's crazy, because the nearest KK to our old house in CT was in Newington (just down the road from Doogie's), and I think it's now closed.

My favorite KK experience is to visit a store when the HOT DONUTS sign is on, then ask them for one before it goes through the glazer.  You'd be surprised how different it tastes!    Chris

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sat, 05/29/10 9:24 PM (permalink)
                                  Locally we had a DD open several months, I have been there once and didnt finish any of the donuts I ordered.  They all tasted artificial and loaded with preservatives.

I will agree with Chris on the KK hot from the fryer before the glaze cascade.

Other than that

I really wish we had a good local bakery around here.  I love me a good locally made, hand crafted (ie no mixes) donut.

MiamiDon

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sun, 05/30/10 6:23 AM (permalink)
                                    Not all Dunkin Donuts stores get their donuts from off-site.  I was in one in Framingham, MA, last weekend and saw someone shaping some dough for frying.

As best as I can tell, in Miami-Dade county (2.3 million people) there are no independent doughnut shops.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                                      RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sun, 05/30/10 7:07 AM (permalink)
                                      Krispy Kreme...but the big one that opened to great fanfare about ten years ago here in Brick, closed about 4-5 years ago!!

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                        RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sun, 05/30/10 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                        We have KK's in the supermarkets and DD's in the gas stations along with a few standalone DD's. I was very surprised to find I no longer like DD's at all after not having one for several years. I don't know if it's me or them. As far as local donuts I don't believe they exist here in Port St Lucie, Fl.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                          RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sun, 05/30/10 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                          Dunkin Donuts = GARBAGE
                                          I would venture to say that 90% of the people that like DD also say Subway is good.

allyk

• Total Posts: 154
                                            RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sun, 05/30/10 10:51 PM (permalink)
                                            I agree, Sundancer. Much as I love KK, Shipley's are wonderful. And Nacho, there is no comparison between the KK you get in convenience stores and the donut in the KK shops. And when they are hot off the line, they are light, airy and sweet, with a hint of vanilla in the glaze. They are amazing. I wouldn't walk across the street for a heavy as lead, tasteless Dunkin' Donut if they were giving them away.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
                                              • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                              • Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Sun, 05/30/10 11:08 PM (permalink)
                                              MiamiDon

Not all Dunkin Donuts stores get their donuts from off-site.  I was in one in Framingham, MA, last weekend and saw someone shaping some dough for frying.

As best as I can tell, in Miami-Dade county (2.3 million people) there are no independent doughnut shops.

Don,

I can't account for quality or if any of these places are still in business but urbanspoon.com has a list of donut shops in the Miami Metro area- some of which appear to be independents.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/12/1118/Miami/Donut-Shops

MiamiDon

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Mon, 05/31/10 6:48 AM (permalink)
                                                wanderingjew

MiamiDon

Don,

I can't account for quality or if any of these places are still in business but urbanspoon.com has a list of donut shops in the Miami Metro area- some of which appear to be independents.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/12/1118/Miami/Donut-Shops

Those on that list that are not KK or DD are in Broward or Palm Beach counties, 1-2 hours away, depending upon the traffic and time of day.

Wistah

• Total Posts: 205
                                                  RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Thu, 06/3/10 10:51 PM (permalink)
                                                  MiamiDon

Don;

Do you recall the location of that shop in Framingham?  Would be nice to try it.  I have ehard that out of the 1,000 or so (no kidding) DD's in MA, about six actually still make their own donuts in store.  But DD corporate will never tell the public which stores these are since DD corporate thinks that the centrally produced donuts are of equal quality to those produced in stores.

Thanks

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                                                    RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Fri, 06/4/10 1:49 AM (permalink)
                                                    Someone bought the DD Franchise rights to the Phoenix area and has opened a bunch of them here. They're not the same product mix as "Back East". For example, they don't make the original Old Fashioned one with the knob handle on it. That was their Signature Donut! And they don't make the Toasted Coconut either. Ain't the same.

MiamiDon

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Fri, 06/4/10 6:06 AM (permalink)
                                                      Wistah

MiamiDon

Don;

Do you recall the location of that shop in Framingham?  Would be nice to try it.  I have ehard that out of the 1,000 or so (no kidding) DD's in MA, about six actually still make their own donuts in store.  But DD corporate will never tell the public which stores these are since DD corporate thinks that the centrally produced donuts are of equal quality to those produced in stores.

Thanks

Sure.  It's at 692 Cochituate Road, next to the Red Roof Inn.  That's just east of the ramps leading to I-90.

kaszeta

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Fri, 06/4/10 8:44 AM (permalink)
                                                        I haven't seen the donut with the knob on it for years, and New England is ground zero for DD.  I don't miss that donut, but do sorely miss cruellers (not the "Truck tire" "French Cruellers", which they still have, the long twisted stick ones)

Although there is a huge variation in franchises as well.  The first one I pass on the way to work has noticeably smaller and, well, crappier donuts than the second one I pass.  

It's also extremely rare now to find one that makes donuts on-site, most have them trucked in from regional bakeries.

Foodosaurus

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Fri, 06/4/10 9:24 AM (permalink)

Odd that this thread would be brought back today.

Today is National Donut Day (Thanks Roadfood Calendar!)

DD is giving away a free donut with a drink purchase.  And KK is giving away free donuts as well; although, don't they always?

http://www.current-movie-reviews.com/off-beat/2010/06/04/national-donut-day-2010-where-to-find-free-donuts/

wallhd

RE: Donut Wars: Dunkin' Donuts vs. Krispy Creme Fri, 06/4/10 9:28 AM (permalink)
                                                            Here in far Northeastern NY State (i.e. The North Country) we have no KK locations, so a day to day comparison is tough.

However, over the past couple of years the donuts at the various local DD outlets have gotten smaller and smaller and pricer and pricer. I have pretty much given up on them unless someone else is buying !

I have grown to like DD bagels, but now the local DD stores no longer have seasme bagels for some unexplained reason.

The bakery deaprtments of Price Chopper and Hannaford's Supermarkets locally have far better donuts.

My .02 worth.

Wally
                                                            Plattsburgh NY

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 105

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com