Donut memories

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
DavidEMartin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Donut memories 2006/07/15 20:54:28 (permalink)
Bill Knapp's Restaurants in Ohio and elsewhere make a pretty good, very substantial donut ball. No glaze, no frosting, just a ball of donut about the size of a small apple.
A&P stores used to carry a similar donut ball but theirs had a light glaze that kept the dough moist.

I've only had a chance to go there once but Amy Joy's Donuts in Niles IL was paradise. 70+ varieties!!!! Flavors and combinations that I'd never seen, like banana frosting on chocolate cake, and some I hope to never see again. "Three varieties of PRUNE?" I asked the salesgirl. "They're very popular with our older customers" she replied with a grin.

According to Google, it still stands at 9021 N. Milwaukee Ave. I'll try to check it tomorrow.
iseult72
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Donut memories 2006/08/03 09:14:49 (permalink)
I remember Cottage Donuts on the corner across from the Shawmut Bank Building. The bar was great for waitress filled mugs of coffee and their apricot jam filled donut was the best on the planet. Does anyone make apricot jam donuts anymore?
martipr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Donut memories 2006/09/06 20:34:07 (permalink)
They all sound great, but if you have never had a "Spud Nut" you have no idea how good a donut can be. "Spud Nut" was a franchise operation and I enjoyed them during the 50's in Fort Worth, Texas. Don't guess they are around anymore, I haven't seen any since then. It's a real shame, they would make Krispy Kreme hang their head in shame.
bobojay
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 67
RE: Donut memories 2006/12/08 04:58:28 (permalink)
South of Kansas City is Louisburg Cider Mill. They have delish cider donuts. We took our grandkids their last fall during their Fall Fest. Got the kids a BOTTLE of rootbeer and cider donuts. They thot they were pretty cool having their own bottle of BEER. Now every time we go by there they want to stop. They used to make the donuts on the premises not sure if they still do, but they are really moist! Making my mouth water!
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1976
RE: Donut memories 2006/12/08 13:19:19 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by iseult72

I remember Cottage Donuts on the corner across from the Shawmut Bank Building. The bar was great for waitress filled mugs of coffee and their apricot jam filled donut was the best on the planet. Does anyone make apricot jam donuts anymore?

I assume you mean on Main St in Worcester, MA. It is now a Duncun Donuts, and now 3 or 4 mergers later, Shawmut is part of Bank of America. I have seen apricot donuts at other places, but they are not as good. Cottage, a small Westboro MA based chain, according to a bakery supply rep that I met, went out of business because the did all the "right" things. The best ingredients, good locations, fair pay for the workers, and a company attitude of "If it is not really fresh, throw it away", could not compete with highly advertised lower quality product from the competition.
Wistah
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 213
RE: Donut memories 2006/12/08 13:26:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

quote:
Originally posted by iseult72

I assume you mean on Main St in Worcester, MA. It is now a Duncun Donuts, and now 3 or 4 mergers later, Shawmut is part of Bank of America. I have seen apricot donuts at other places, but they are not as good. Cottage, a small Westboro MA based chain, according to a bakery supply rep that I met, went out of business because the did all the "right" things. The best ingredients, good locations, fair pay for the workers, and a company attitude of "If it is not really fresh, throw it away", could not compete with highly advertised lower quality product from the competition.

I remember Cottage Donuts in Newtonville, MA (that location is also now a DD)....they really had awesome hand cut fresh from the kettle donuts. There were other locations in Worcester as mentions, and in Marlboro and Westboro...there may have been others too as I think that they had a long history as a loca chain.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1