Donut memories

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2013
2004/11/01 13:38:34 (permalink)

Donut memories

Were those Woolworth jelly donuts as good as I remember? They were 10 cents each, and a lady filled them 2 at a time with a machine in the front window. YUM. Cottage donuts, a local chain had better donuts and better prices than DD. Why was DD successful, and so many other chains have not been? My first hot KK in Myrtle Beach NC. My first Butler cream filled donuts just this past weekend. Do you have donut memories?

35 Replies Related Threads

renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/01 14:09:29 (permalink)
    How'd you like the Butler's? I had two long johns on friday. Pure caloric heaven.

I never had Woolworth jelly donuts. But if someone was actually filling them to order, I would say you have most donuts beat.
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/01 14:43:13 (permalink)
    I buy biscuit dough in a tin, poke hole in the middle and fry it in a skillet of oil until it's brown. Dip in sugar, powdered sugar, etc and wallah! presto. They're a lot to make of fun if you have small kids.

carl reitz
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/01 14:47:32 (permalink)
    I used to buy Hole-In-One Donuts a long time ago in Northern IL. It was a machine set up in gas stations etc. From what i remember it deep fried the skinny cake donuts and they were good!
    tmiles
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/01 15:25:14 (permalink)
    renfrew, as you know the Butler cream donuts and long johns are so good that they would kill me if I lived closer and could eat them every day. The regular donuts, I found to be fairly average for a good independent donut shop. The Woolwerth donuts were not exactly filled to order, but like a KK today, if you got there at the right time the donuts never made it to the shelf. We used to ask the clerk for extra jelly, and if we were nice about it we got it.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/01 16:53:08 (permalink)
    My best donut memory is about homemade doughnuts. I had an elderly lady friend who made the best homemade donuts........they were wonderful. I have her recipe and have tried it many times. They never were as good. BUT, she did teach me one thing and I have done it ever since. Have a pot of simmering water on the stove and when you lift your fried donut out of the oil, give it a very quick dip into the water and then put on paper toweling. It is amazing how much fat you eliminate this way.

mmmmm have not tried her recipe for a few years. I just might dig it out and make fresh donuts for us to have with adult coffee drinks while celebrating the election returns
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/01 17:59:31 (permalink)
    The best donuts that I've had recently cam from Bolton Spring farmstand in Bolton MA...they only make them this time of year...apple and cider seson....these were right out of the fryer...hot, the bag was soaked in fat and almost too hot to carry back to the car.

The only problem is...I can eat 3-4 of them in almost no time
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/03 11:07:47 (permalink)
    Yeah thank god I dont live in Westport Ma. If I did, my diet may consist enitrely of Butler's donuts.

Wistah, I just had some cider donuts from Russells Orchard in Ipswich. Same scenario you describe. I can eat 4 or 5 before I know what hits me!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/03 13:46:31 (permalink)
    Wistah&Renfro---I've actually had dreams about cider donuts and hot cider under the fall colors!!!! One of my all time favorite memories of growing up in New England----that and making our own maple syrup!! Nothing like New England on a crisp fall day and a trip the cider mill for donuts and cider!!! I'd kill---well maybe maim---for a gallon of Douse's Cider and a dozen fresh cideer donuts today!!!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/03 14:08:53 (permalink)
    Today is a perfect day in Mass to drown sorrows or celebrate with some hot cider and fresh cider donuts. Its cloudy, blustery and the leaves are swirling.
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/03 16:19:45 (permalink)
    renfrew;

Looks like we reversed the curse but we couldn't come up with a double play....

You are right....maybe I'll go pick up a dozen or so....better than drinking to forget....
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/03 16:28:26 (permalink)
    also renfrew....

If you like Butler's and if you live north....there used to be a little "hole in the wall" (no pun intended) donut shop in Lowell called Eat A Donut...they made fantastic marshmallow creme filled donuts.....
    tmiles
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/04 09:17:54 (permalink)
    She didn't make them, but 30 yrs ago, Grogan's Spa on Providence St in Worcester had great chocolate covered donuts. She sometimes tried to carry over stale ones to the next day but nobody would buy them. We used to beg and get her to put out the fresh ones. I wonder where she bought them. She would never tell, and they were always delivered before we got there.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/04 10:13:57 (permalink)
    Hmm, i live in Framingham but am going to Lowell to see a show soon. That place sounds great...see if i can find it.
    Thanks!

I passed a place today on the way to work called Jelly Donuts, have to stop in soon to see how they are.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/04 13:08:42 (permalink)
    There used to be a great little donut shop called "Yum Yum Donuts" right next to Wrigley Field in Chicago. The last time I went by, it looked like they'd turned it into a hot dog stand, so I don't know if it sells donuts anymore. I used to love the old-fashioned variety they sold, which had a melt-in-your mouth texture and was wonderful with coffee. Back in the 70's, when plump pitcher Rick Reuschel played on the Cubs, there were rumors that he'd sneak over to Yum Yum between games of a doubleheader.
    michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/04 15:46:55 (permalink)
    Oh, no, danimal, I remember that place! I lived at Cornelia and Fremont then. I think this is where I got peanut butter frosted yeast donuts and buttermilk bars. What, even in Chicago donuts are being taken away? At least it's for hot dogs, whereas here in SF it is usually for bagels or worse--Starbucks.
    tmiles
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/04 16:18:15 (permalink)
    I agree with michaelgemmell. The pasty served at Starbucks makes it very easy to stay on a diet.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Donut memories 2004/11/07 17:41:28 (permalink)
    Seldom enough so that it seemed like a real treat for my brothers and me, my father would pick up cream donuts at Bredenbeck's Bakery, which still exists on Frankford Avenue in Northeast Philadelphia. It's across the street from the Mayfair Diner. I think even better than those cream donuts were, for me, what we called "top hats". I actually still have wonderful dreams about them. But that's not for this thread.
    Wandering Chew
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Donut memories 2004/12/04 22:53:24 (permalink)
    So many forbidden donuts, so few arteries. One particularly fond memory is driving thru Springfield MA on way to Vermont when we found a great donut shop with crispy glazed plain, buttermilk,jelly filled chocolate and powdered sticks/bars. I forgot name but remember the donuts well.Congdons in Wells, Maine are really good, and the hot cider donuts are a treat we rarely get living in Miami.

Oh yeah we tried Mikes Donuts in Ipswich MA a few weeks ago-worth the trip if your in the area.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Donut memories 2004/12/04 23:34:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Wandering Chew

So many forbidden donuts, so few arteries. One particularly fond memory is driving thru Springfield MA on way to Vermont when we found a great donut shop with crispy glazed plain, buttermilk,jelly filled chocolate and powdered sticks/bars. I forgot name but remember the donuts well.

Could it have been Donut Dip? I like their donuts a bunch. Gotta hit there and White Hut when I am in the area!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Donut memories 2004/12/05 02:03:01 (permalink)
    I lived the first 5 years of my life in LA (Inglewood) and my Dad would bring home a box of doughnuts from Randy's. It's still there, and is a famous LA kitsch icon with its huge brown plaster doughnut on the roof. Warm raised glazed and a cup of strong Blue Mountain on the front porch with the Sunday LA Times and I'm happy.
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Donut memories 2004/12/05 08:07:51 (permalink)
    For those in MA....yesterday I made the trip to Lowell and to "Eat A Donut", a donut shop on School Street.....they make all of their donuts and other baked goods fresh on premises...

In particular, their creme filled donuts are spectacular.....Krispy Kremes don't even come close!!

Eat A Donut used to be a little "hole in the wall" (pun intended) but now they have a nice new building....highly recommended.
    Wandering Chew
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Donut memories 2004/12/05 22:34:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
    Originally posted by Wandering Chew

So many forbidden donuts, so few arteries. One particularly fond memory is driving thru Springfield MA on way to Vermont when we found a great donut shop with crispy glazed plain, buttermilk,jelly filled chocolate and powdered sticks/bars. I forgot name but remember the donuts well.

Could it have been Donut Dip? I like their donuts a bunch. Gotta hit there and White Hut when I am in the area!

That sounds right Tony-thanks-look forward to many more donut memories
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Donut memories 2004/12/06 08:00:27 (permalink)
    When I was a child there was a bakery down the street that made cream filled donuts that actually tasted like, and may have been, real cream. I've been on a four decade long odyssey to find another donut that tastes like that donut or at least how I remember it tasted. Not that stuff that passes for cream today and comes in five gallon spackle containers.

On the way to elementary school we passed a firehouse where the ladies auxillary made cinnamon and powdered sugar donuts that were next to free for a bagful. We were stuffed and on a sugar buzz to end all sugar buzzes by the time we got to school.

Took my son fishing at Lake Piseco in the Adirondacks and went to an outfitter first thing in the morning to rent a motorboat. Turns out they made cinnamon donuts that were perfect for a chilly mountain morning. Didn't catch any fish but, those donuts....
    fablerox
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Donut memories 2004/12/06 10:42:54 (permalink)
    I have vague memories of a donut chain in Omaha that served a donut sundae. Anyone remember the name? There was also a pie place on the westside called House of Pi.
    MartinT
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Donut memories 2005/04/03 22:52:03 (permalink)
    Phillips Diner in Woodbury CT. For a real treat get there very early and go with the cinnamon. Don`t even think about getting less than a half dozen or you will be sorry. Its the only place I know that the day olds are better than most other spots same day. I believe they are Zagat rated number 1 in the U.S. There is another spot in Old Lyme on Hartford Ave that has great donuts. Open only in the summer and sold out daily by 10a.m. Unlike most donuts the cake is yellow instead of white. Anyone know the name?
    Shara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Donut memories 2005/04/03 23:17:08 (permalink)
    If you're ever in Princeton, New Jersey pick up a bag of apple cidar donuts at Terhune Orchards. It's a family operation with farm animals for the kids to feed and old tractors they can climb on. The donuts are sold in a wonderful farm store located in an old barn complete with a porch full of benches and the friendliest dog and cats around. You can pick your own apples (I always used to go for the macouns in fall) and cut fresh flowers, too. They always have a bushel of free apples set out for kids.

It's great any time of year, but cider season in autumn is a delightful way to spend a lazy hour there.

It's located on Cold Soil Road off Route 206 North between Lawrenceville and Princeton.

http://www.terhuneorchards.com/
    lennonlover2005
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Donut memories 2006/05/02 01:41:45 (permalink)
    My memories are of my grandma's home made ones....oh boy...when she stopped making them, we had Dawn Donuts. (Flint Michigan) They had sour cream and other varieties. There is another thread on this BTW!
    They still have store in Michigan....not sure about anywhere else. I love their sign....go to www.agilitynut.com and look under Michigan for signs. Great roadside photos!
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Donut memories 2006/05/04 23:01:02 (permalink)
    I used to be a baker at a local grocery store, and although I'm not a big fan of donuts, there was nothing like a hot glazed donut fresh off of the fryer! I'm talking so hot, they were almost too hot to handle.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Donut memories 2006/06/08 18:44:24 (permalink)
    In Ocean City, MD - many years ago (like 30-35 years ago), there was a tiny, funky donuttery called the Purple Bone. They served cake donuts right out of the fryer that were out of this world. I have no idea what happened to that place.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1