Door County breakfast institution up for sale

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2008/09/02 17:14:18 (permalink)

Door County breakfast institution up for sale

Just an FYI that the Carroll House, a 50-year-old breakfast institution just outside of Sister Bay, Wisc., is for sale, with a $430,000 asking price. As I've commented on the "where should I eat" forum, the Carroll House has the best waffles I've ever eaten - thin and crunchy the way waffles were meant to be. I haven't found any like them anywhere else, and even when I make my own waffles with my traditional waffle iron they don't come out as thin, light and crispy.

Besides the great waffles, Carroll House is an excellent place to hang out with locals. It seems to get about half tourists, which is low for the area. Everyone seems to know each other, and there's such a friendly atmosphere. The epitome of true roadfood. I talked to the owner, State Rep. Garey Bies, on my last visit this August, and he says he just doesn't have the resources to run the place anymore. Let's hope he sells it to someone who wants to keep the tradition unchanged.

13 Replies Related Threads

chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3284
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/02 17:50:08 (permalink)
    The Carroll House has always been my favorite waffle joint. I've been eating their waffles since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

CSD
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/02 18:40:53 (permalink)
    What bad news.Was just telling my cousins we should eat there when we visit Sister Bay.Hopefully, whoever buys it can keep the same consistency...
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/02 21:48:21 (permalink)
    Not to worry, Ann. The Door County Cherry Stuffed French toast at the White Gull Inn in Fish Creek would definitely satisfy your taste buds. Made with real Wisconsin cream cheese and maple syrup, it doesn't get any better. http://www.whitegullinn.com/breakfast.html

CSD
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/03 09:55:36 (permalink)
    Even better!!! Thanks,CSD.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/03 13:19:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Not to worry, Ann. The Door County Cherry Stuffed French toast at the White Gull Inn in Fish Creek would definitely satisfy your taste buds. Made with real Wisconsin cream cheese and maple syrup, it doesn't get any better. http://www.whitegullinn.com/breakfast.html

CSD

I never had their breakfast but I had their boiled fish. A very interesting evening.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/03 15:07:55 (permalink)

The White Gull Inn fish boil was always the main event for my kids when we vacationed in the "Door."

CSD
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/03 17:37:43 (permalink)
    NOW THAT'S A FIRE
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13475
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/03 18:17:59 (permalink)
    It is a fire and it is very big. In my opinion, the fish was mediocre. I was up for something very special in taste but the fish was very bland. I am sure that is is very special for folks up there who are use to it but that is just my opinion.

I was there and I have done that.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/03 18:21:58 (permalink)
    Ahh the Door County fish boil...I experienced one at a wedding in the mid-80's..I was not a big fish eater at the time, but the locally caught bass and walleye were fantastic...the one thing that disturbed me was the use of lit kerosene on top of the water to get it to 'boil over'...fortunately I didn't taste any of it..

That is when I coined the phrase "Door County school of marketing"...we'd go to the little tourist shops (I always resented the way the local shop owners referred to the 'touristas')...they all seemed to have little tiny jars of jams , and little tiny boxes of knick-knacks and doodads...the prevailing theory being if it is small and cute people will buy it...it works.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/03 18:32:24 (permalink)
    I am not a fan of the fish boil in Door County, but seems like something one should at least try once, if not for the experience.A pan fried walleye, on the other hand, is a marvelous thing....
    stricken_detective
    • Total Posts : 2330
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/04 01:24:37 (permalink)
    quote:

CSD

Mmmmmmmmmm. Man I love Fish Creek!!!

For me it was never about the food (except those dang cherries!), it was more about the gorgeous scenery. Nicolet Bay, Tennyson Bay,the eagle tower thing where you can see for miles & miles & miles.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/04 08:29:01 (permalink)
    I prefer pan fried, bluegill, perch, or walleye. My favorite time in the "Door" is winter because there are no tourists. The winter hiking is great and I have all the restaurants to myself. No traffic, no waiting in line. Over the years, more places have gone out of business because the "Door" is seasonal. From the beginning of June through Labor Day is the window of business opportunity.

CSD
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Door County breakfast institution up for sale 2008/09/04 12:18:36 (permalink)
    quote:

I prefer pan fried, bluegill, perch, or walleye. My favorite time in the "Door" is winter because there are no tourists. The winter hiking is great and I have all the restaurants to myself. No traffic, no waiting in line. Over the years, more places have gone out of business because the "Door" is seasonal. From the beginning of June through Labor Day is the window of business opportunity.

CSD

I'd like to try and make it up there some winter. But what is there to do in the winter if you have kids? We go in the summer with our 8 and 5 year old boys and go horse riding, swimming, miniature golfing, etc.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1