Double Rainbow Ice Cream

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2004/04/28 16:56:24 (permalink)

Double Rainbow Ice Cream

A new ice-cream store opened down the street from us recently, and it sells Double Rainbow ice cream, which until now I'd never heard of. Apparently, it's a California product, and I'm a lifelong Chicagoan. When you walk in to the new store, you can pick up a little pamphlet that tells you this brand was rated best in the US in various surveys. Even the people behind the counter seem to take this very seriously, asking me how I liked my caramel-chocolate swirl ice cream cone. I liked it fine, though I didn't see a major difference in quality between it and what I typically get at Baskin Robbins.

Has anyone else run into this brand, and what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks,

Dan

8 Replies Related Threads

stormycat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Double Rainbow Ice Cream 2004/04/28 17:07:30 (permalink)
    They sell this brand at Trader Joe's. I have heard good things about it, but have not tried it myself.

Where is this new ice cream shop?
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Double Rainbow Ice Cream 2004/04/29 00:10:19 (permalink)
    Double Rainbow is basically about the same, quality-wise, as Haagen-Daaz: better than the stuff in bricks in the supermarket freezer, but nothing to write home about.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Double Rainbow Ice Cream 2004/05/02 22:46:43 (permalink)
    Stormycat:

The new store is in Highland Park, Illinois, near the Ravinia Music Festival, and two blocks from my home.

Dan
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Double Rainbow Ice Cream 2004/05/03 02:13:58 (permalink)
    There used to be -- maybe still is -- a Double Rainbow store in Albuquerque that had the BEST selection of magazines to read. I agree with Lucky Bishop: it's good-quality premium ice cream, but not transcendent.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Double Rainbow Ice Cream 2004/05/03 07:53:19 (permalink)
    It is very good quality, much better than baskin robbins.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Double Rainbow Ice Cream 2004/05/04 01:29:39 (permalink)
    Michael: as it happens, I used to live mere blocks from the Double Rainbow in Albuquerque, and proximity to it is one reason why I chose the house I did! It's still there, albeit under a different name. It was originally a franchisee of the Double Rainbow ice cream company from San Francisco, but the only stipulation of that was that they serve Double Rainbow ice cream. Double Rainbow Bakery Cafe slowly transformed into more of a full-service restaurant, and the ice cream became much less important. Around 2000, the ice cream company decided that they wanted to maintain tighter control over their franchisees, so the bakery cafe dropped them without a second thought, installed Ben and Jerry's as their ice cream provider (a step up, I thought) and changed their name to Flying Star Cafe. There's three locations in Albuquerque, all excellent,but the original on Central Avenue is still the best.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2016
    RE: Double Rainbow Ice Cream 2004/10/01 17:18:45 (permalink)
    I get Double Rainbow at Trader Joe's, the same as an earlier poster. I rate it a little higher than he did, and I would say it is one of the best "factory" ice creams, based on a price. You can pay more and get less. I would rate it below Ben and Jerry if cost were not a factor. I have never seen it in a scoop shop around here in Massachusetts.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Double Rainbow Ice Cream 2004/10/02 03:01:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

A new ice-cream store opened down the street from us recently, and it sells Double Rainbow ice cream, which until now I'd never heard of. Apparently, it's a California product, and I'm a lifelong Chicagoan. When you walk in to the new store, you can pick up a little pamphlet that tells you this brand was rated best in the US in various surveys. Even the people behind the counter seem to take this very seriously, asking me how I liked my caramel-chocolate swirl ice cream cone. I liked it fine, though I didn't see a major difference in quality between it and what I typically get at Baskin Robbins.

Has anyone else run into this brand, and what are your thoughts on it?

Thanks,

Dan

Well, I first tried it in 1977 I think it was--at the little store they had on San Francisco's Castro Street. In fact, I think I have a photo (shot from a friend's balcony) of the double rainbow for which it was named.

I agree with you about the quality. Although back then and for years afterward it got good press hereabouts because it was essentially a local product and pretty good, I never thought it was anything special. It's regular (though premium) ice cream. Then and now I've preferred gelato for a street snack (as opposed to what you might buy a half gallon of at the supermarket) and there used to be lots of gelato places all over town in competition with the DR stores. For some reason I've been wondering about, there aren't as many now. I suspect it was gelato overkill--so many outlets they couldn't all make money. But they were nearly all better IMHO than DR and, even if I have to go to North Beach now, I'd still rather have gelato than DR.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1