Drake's BY Hostess?

Author
Eric B
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
2008/02/24 20:16:09 (permalink)

Drake's BY Hostess?

When IBC began giving Hostess its new logo, and new wrapper design; I wondered if they would do their newer acquisition Drake's as well.

It seemed they didn't. to day I discover the change they did make, an a new batch of Yankee Doodles, was to add a Hostess logo to the right of the Drake's logo on the blue and orange ribbon. The word "by" is between the logos.

So now, Drake's is being made a sub-label of Hostess, it seems. When the merger first occurred, I had asked company officials if they would ever just replace Drake's with the national Hostess brand, and they said no. But that was nearly a decade ago now.

Considering that the Flowers honey buns and Pecan Spins, and a local third party company's mini-donuts that were carried with Drake's labels went through a phaseout where the Hostess logo replaced the Drake's name, but still on the Drake's ribbon with the rest of the Drake's label design; and then it was just converted to a Hostess label; I wonder if now they are considering doing away with Drake's altogether.

In areas where the products are sold, you would just have these extra Hostess cakes, like even now people keep discussing the raspberry filled donuts that appear in some places, but not in many others.

That would be a shame! Here in the northeast, Drake's were as big, if not bigger than Hostess. They were bought by Borden who basically did nothing much with them. (There were some failed expansion attempts during that period). Then, a canadian company. Now, the IBC near-monopoly, but I wonder how good this will be for the line of cakes. they could at any time decide they are unprofitable, and they have two other national brands they could carry on.

19 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/02/24 20:26:48 (permalink)
    IBC has owned Drakes for nearly ten years. I just wish that the company would sell Devil Dogs here in Ohio.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/02/24 20:35:03 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Fill me in... I haven't got the foggiest notion of what y'all are talking about! Drake's Yankee Doodles and Devil Dogs... I am assuming that these are some sort of regional bakery item, but what do they taste like?
    Less Than Half-Baked, Ort. Carlton in Often-Overcooked Athens, Georgia.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/02/24 20:44:10 (permalink)
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/02/24 20:45:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    Fill me in... I haven't got the foggiest notion of what y'all are talking about! Drake's Yankee Doodles and Devil Dogs... I am assuming that these are some sort of regional bakery item, but what do they taste like?
    Less Than Half-Baked, Ort. Carlton in Often-Overcooked Athens, Georgia.

Yankee Doodles and Devil Dogs are both creme-filled snack cakes. You can see pictures on the website Michael Hoffman posted.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/02/24 20:57:12 (permalink)
    The devil's food is dryer than the typical Hostess or Dolly Madison cake.
    To me, this is what gives them a unique taste, though others not used to it may not like it. This might be the problem they've had in expanding. The closest thing I could compare a Devil Dog to would be Little Debbie's Devil Cremes or Twins, but they are not that dry, and neither as sugary tasting.
    (They look nearly identical to the Devil Cremes, with the rounded off edges looking like a hot dog bun; but I don't think those are sold everywhere either.)

The golden cake used in the Sunny Doodles also has a unique taste. A little moister than the devil's food, but still so different from a Twinkie. Both "Doodles" are crème filled cupcakes left in the paper baking cups, and with no icing on top, the hole the creme is inserted is visible in the "risen" center. With the Sunny Doodle, you have the golden brown crust on top.
    beijinger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/02/24 21:04:24 (permalink)
    sunnydoodles were my bestest friend growing up so do miss there unique satisfying flavor
    mland520
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 485
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/02/24 21:40:21 (permalink)
    if you go to the www.famousefoods.com website- you can purchase Devil Dogs, Drakes' coffee cakes and all the other Drake's goodies- I usually buy my quarterly supply of WonderBread split top hot dog buns and throw in a few boxes of the Drakes stuff too. They ship out on Thursday after baking the stuff fresh on Wednesday. It all freezes very nicely. Even in Dallas, there are Drake's cakes (even if it is delivered by the USPS). Give it a try Michael!
    And I just checked my last delivery- and no where on the box of Devil Dogs does it say HOSTESS.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6265
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/03/01 09:11:22 (permalink)
    Hey,Hostess products haven't tasted like the Hostess products of old for years now. You Drakes lovers(haven't had a Devil Dog in decades),have the new Hostess owners ruined the Drakes line too?
    Ciaoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 375
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/03/01 09:35:53 (permalink)
    Leethebard is correct...back in the "day", Hostess cupcakes, et al, were really good tasting. Now? Not so much. I certainly hope that the Drakes products--available throughout CT--don't suffer the same fate. Yankee Doodles were always my favorite...more of a rich cocoa flavor, and the "creme" is much better than the current Hostess junk.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/03/01 09:41:48 (permalink)
    No...We can get devil dogs here in Central Florida. You know Little Debbie (bless her heart) also makes a knock off of the devil dog and it's really not bad. I happen to like Dolly Madison and Hostess cakes because they are so moist and they give you plenty of filling. I do not like their coffee cakes that much.

The problem with all these commercial cakes for me (except for Entemann's) is I start out a box really enjoying them, but as the box starts to empty I find myself losing interest. I am addicted to their filled chocolate crumb cake. In Florida we cannot get their black-out cake..I think it is too perishable.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6265
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/03/01 09:44:55 (permalink)
    I'll agree with Little Debbie...the best tasting product for so little money..makes me wonder how they turn a profit at those prices..I hope it's just volume!
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/03/05 10:43:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Hey,Hostess products haven't tasted like the Hostess products of old for years now. You Drakes lovers(haven't had a Devil Dog in decades),have the new Hostess owners ruined the Drakes line too?

For a while, a couple of years ago, they were using Hostess style devil's food in Yankee Doodles and Devil Dogs. Just was not as good. Then, they switched it back. Now it's just as good.

If they do something like that, they should do it in expansion areas, so people will be more used to it and yet become familar with the new line of cakes (many used to Hostess and other devils food might think the Drakes is too dry).
    rakilcoyne
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/04/29 20:15:16 (permalink)
    I was searching online for info about drakes cakes. A lot of things change over the years but one thing I have always loved is my drakes. With-in the last year I noticed something different about the devil dogs and that I no longer cared for them.....I thought maybe it was me. But today I bought a package of ring dings and the cream has changed to a thicker goopier over-sweet mush. I have accepted change over the years (I'm 48) in big and little things but to mess with my ring dings is just "a let down". I bought a package of devil dogs to compare and that has the same cream in it. That must be why I stopped eating those. It just a shame that something I been enjoying from my childhood into my adulthood is a thing of the past. Good-by Ring Dings.......Thanks for nothing Hostess....hope it is worth the extra profit...
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2164
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/04/30 00:24:42 (permalink)
    Drakes by Hostess is owned by Interstate Bakeries Corp. Their stock was trading today on the Pink Sheets for about 8 cents a share. This company is in bankruptcy proceedings. After they changed the formula for Nissen Canadian White bread, I feel God should punish them and put them into Chapter 7.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/04/30 01:08:19 (permalink)
    Growing up in the NYC area, I was crazy about Drake's cake products. Especially the Devil Dogs, Yankee Doodles and crumb cakes. I used to see them at some of the local stores in Dallas that catered to ex-New Yorkers. But, not recently.
    CNW
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/05/02 04:23:05 (permalink)
    I was in the company store attached to their Bakery in Lenexa, KS about a month ago when one of the head honchos from headquaters came in to do some sort of inspection. I had a nice 10 or 15 minute chat with him about their products. I asked about many of the discontinued items that I liked. I specifically mentioned the devils food donuts that hostess had between 1999 - 2001. He said that they tried to use the drakes recipe but that it was to dry as far as the rest of the country was concerned and the residents in the Northeast did not like the adjusted recipe that was being used everywhere else. So, they decided to pull it and leave it as a regional item. I mentioned that I was surprised that they did not sell their regional items online themselves and let other do it for them. He told me that it was something that they were looking at doing, but that getting out of bankruptcy was more important.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/05/07 16:52:06 (permalink)
    Oh, wow; bankruptcy.
    Didn't know they were doing that badly. So I wonder if one brand or the other will be solf off. Probably Drakes, while they keep the more popular national brands. I would hope instead that someone would buy Hostess/Wonder, and they would be willing to sell, with the large price they could get for those brands. Then Hostess and Drakes would be separate again, and IBC would be less likely to deprecate Drakes. Perhaps they might try to build it up as a better national competitor to Hostess, instead of Dolly, which is largely a copy of Hostess. And then, in the northeast, you would see Drakes' Zingers (made kosher with the animal fat removed), instead of Hostess Zingers.
    Again, people keep talking about dryness, so manufacture Drakes with the less dry Dolly Madison ingredients for the rest of the country, and then they might be more likely to give the new cakes a chance. Once they get familiar with them, then perhaps they will more easily adapt to the original recipe.
    divefl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/05/07 17:13:42 (permalink)
    They got rid of pecan spins? I used to like those. Hostess as well as Drakes...10 seconds in the microwave does fantastic things.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Drake's BY Hostess? 2008/05/13 11:53:25 (permalink)
    Pecan Spins were actually by Flowers Foods, and distributed by Drakes, along with the Honey Buns. But in the transition to "Drakes by Hostess", they converted all those third party products purely to Hostess, so you would look for those under Hostess. (Hostess used to carry the Pecan TWIRLS by PET, but that company is long gone now). I think I still see them where I am.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1