Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3738
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2005/12/13 23:08:24 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Iwanago

It's me Again,

I could not resist, I just have to discuss Dreamland one more time. I was in Mobile last week and I had to Slide Tires On Payment. (STOP). Dreamland is such a nice place to visit and the aroma when you first walk in will force you to order a slab. I am most likely headed to Birmingham next week and guess where I am headed?

I went to DREAMLAND before it became a chain. I loved it. So glad to hear that it is still wonderful. I wonder how many more places they are going to open before it turns bad like the rest of the chain restaurants do?
reflex
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2005/12/24 18:42:57 (permalink)
I tried Dreamland in Huntsville, it was ok but I prefer the Big Bob Gibson's ribs from their old restaurant in Decatur. Very different flavors, both good, but Dreamland's just wasn't my cup of tea.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2005/12/24 21:14:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by reflex

I tried Dreamland in Huntsville, it was ok but I prefer the Big Bob Gibson's ribs from their old restaurant in Decatur. Very different flavors, both good, but Dreamland's just wasn't my cup of tea.

I am sorry they did not pleae you but I sure did enjoy their ribs and banana pudding. I also enjoyed their BBQ sauce with dipping it in the white bread.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2005/12/29 09:49:56 (permalink)
Dreamland opened in Mobile back in I think early 90's, late 80's...I will say this about the company, they are adaptive....their big thing when they opened in Mobile was that the menu would be identical to the original Tuscaloosa location..ribs, sauce and white bread....no sides...they even had T-shirts originally that said...No Sides...Don't ask for'em.....well that didn't go over down here in LA (lower AL)...BBQ HAS to have sides,chopped pork and chicken...the natives were restless and not impressed at first and the Mobile restaurant was not doing as well as projected and guess what? They added sides, chicken and chopped pork..peace and prosperity prevailed..it's one of my favorite BBQ joints to eat at now....I see that some of GA restaurants have Brunswick Stew, which I wish the Mobile location would add..
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2005/12/29 10:04:57 (permalink)
I found this report in another BBQ discussion group.

"I spoke with the guy who does most of the cooking in Mobile and he gave me the lowdown. The main thing they do not do is slow-cook. They cook their ribs for
about 2 hours. With about 30 minutes left they mop the ribs with a half and half mixture of their sauce
and vinegar. That gives the ribs a little tanginess. Then when they serve the ribs they put a good dose of their sauce at full strength on. That's about it. They use hickory for the wood."

Frm what I've read here and there, the Dreamland sauce is a big part of why folks enjoy these ribs. pb
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2005/12/30 10:33:17 (permalink)
The Mobile Dreamland cooks their food on a pretty common method down here; pit BBQ, over a wood fire and kinda fast and hot...their wood pile is stacked on the building wall facing I-65, I drive by the restaurant everyday going to work and the Interstate is raised as you pass Dreamland, just high enough that the smoke coming out of the pit's chimmney can settle across the lanes....pure torture everyday to have to smell that and not be able to pull in...I don't think their wood is all hickory...pits down here use a mixture of hickory with red oak or other southern hardwoods...found this on the internet the other day...don't know if it is "the Sauce", but seems to have the ingredients that I pick up in their sauce...I'll experiment over the holiday with a small batch:

Dreamland BBQ Sauce
Ingredients
1 can (28 oz.) tomato puree
1/3 cup yellow mustard
3 cups water
1 ½ cups cider vinegar
1/4 dark corn syrup
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground red pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder

In large saucepan, whisk together the tomato puree and mustard until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2005/12/30 22:12:28 (permalink)
I know one thing about the Dreamland sauce. It is like a dipping sauce that you can put your bread in and enjoy the flavor.

In addition, their ribs are the best I have ever had.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2006/01/09 23:05:53 (permalink)
We ate at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa this past summer on our way back from Gulfport, MS. The ribs were great for grilled ribs. And everyones right, the sauce is killer. Not having eaten at any of the others I wouldn't comment on their franchising but the Tuscaloosa location will be a regular stop for us from now on.
Ditto for Gibsons in Decatur. Mediocre sauce but great slow cooked ribs.
frankly73
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2006/01/25 09:29:33 (permalink)
Well I stopped at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa and I got to say I was disappointed. Six bones swimming in a pool of vinegary tasting sauce ain't what I call great q. The ribs weren't real meaty and would have probably been much better without the sauce. Six bones swimming in sauce with sauce and four slices of white bread on the side and a Coke for seventeen bucks isn't what I call a great meal!

IMHO great bbq should be able to stand on it's own without the aid of sauce. The sauce should not be the prime flavor source of the meat.
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2006/01/25 09:49:57 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by frankly73

Well I stopped at Dreamland in Tuscaloosa and I got to say I was disappointed. Six bones swimming in a pool of vinegary tasting sauce ain't what I call great q. The ribs weren't real meaty and would have probably been much better without the sauce. Six bones swimming in sauce with sauce and four slices of white bread on the side and a Coke for seventeen bucks isn't what I call a great meal!

IMHO great bbq should be able to stand on it's own without the aid of sauce. The sauce should not be the prime flavor source of the meat.

My experience at Dreamland was much better than yours - for which I am grateful. Just the same, I concur regarding sauce. This is what I love about Sam & Dave's BBQ 1 in Marietta, Georgia - plus the fact that I drive near their place several times each week. Sam & Dave's meat is all served without sauce. The smoke flavor is very evident, and they have two sauces - sweet and vinegar based - which may be applied as liberally as one desires. The meat is so good (especially their brisket) that several times I have been halfway through the sandwich before I remembered to add some sauce.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2006/01/25 10:40:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by frankly73

The Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is one of the football fans and sports announcers favorites. It somehow is different than the rest of the Dreamlands. It is my understanding that that location is the only one that smokes their BBQ. I believe the rest pit cook which is much faster, leaves the pork much more moist and I never order my sauce over the ribs, I always get it on the side for dipping only.

Personally I enjoyed their sauce.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Rockbeast
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/07/18 11:55:38 (permalink)
I just had the pleasure of visiting (and eating!) Dreamland in Tuscaloosa off Jug Factory Road. I ate there on Wednesday for a late lunch and had the rib 'sandwich' which is 3 slices of white bread with a side of sauce, and then they bring out 4 ribs. I would have had more, but I was having dinner that night celebrating a family member's birthday and figured I ought to be good and hungry for that!

I really enjoyed it! Very 'roadfood'-esque atmosphere. Dark paneling with all sorts of pictures and license plates, etc. The ribs were excellent. I really enjoyed them. Although I liked the sauce, I wasn't crazy about it. The ribs were sauced, and that was fine, but dipping the bread in the sauce was not as enjoyable to me. It was good, but it seemed to overwhelm my taste buds a bit too much. It was like I got the flavor, and then either the vinegar or perhaps hotness (peppers?) hit me so I couldn't 'savor the flavor' for long. So I left most of the bread until after I ate the ribs...then tried some more. Again, it was good, just a little different from what I enjoy the most.

They had sausage too! If I had seen that, I would have been tempted to try a little...but, the aforementioned birthday dinner was on the horizon, and I needed to be able to still see my shoes! I had to turn my eyes away from the banana pudding, else i would have over-indulged. Rats! Well, I won't pass that up if I get by there again!

Edit to add: Oh, and I kept a low profile...didn't mention I was from Tennessee...didn't want to get into any Tuscaloosa tussles over UT football!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/07/20 13:48:58 (permalink)
Rockbeast. I always mention that I am from Knoxville. It usually gets something going. I always enjoy getting to Dreamland pretty early when they are getting the ribs frsh off the grill.

Unlike you, I really enjoy the sauce. It is one of my personal favorites.

The only thing that I have ever had is their ribs which I sure do like.

The Glee Club met in Mobile and we enjoyed their ribs there. I have been to Dreamland in Mobile, Bham and Huntsville. I like the ribs off the grill. Some went back twice.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/08/06 22:36:46 (permalink)
I sent my sister & her family to the one in Montgomery a few weeks ago & they were just crazy about the place. And the food. I've not seen any reports on their one location near Atlanta.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/08/07 09:00:23 (permalink)
We ate at the one in Roswell, GA last year and thought it was up to the Birmingham standards.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/08/07 14:22:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mjambro

We ate at the one in Roswell, GA last year and thought it was up to the Birmingham standards.

What is the address of the Dreamland in Roswell, GA?

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/08/08 11:32:42 (permalink)
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/08/09 17:41:29 (permalink)
Has the Birmingham Dreamland operation changed it's cooking technique since I've been there 3-4 years ago? When I was there I watched them throw raw slabs of ribs over a flaming pit and they were taken off after a matter of 10 to 15 minutes! The ribs were tough as hell. They were not slow cooked and of course had no smoke ring. I was very, very disappointed. But, the banana pudding was the best I have ever had. I liked all the sides actually.

I heard their original locations were much better. This one in Birmingham was opened by a cousin or some relative. It does a terrific business and it's a great looking place. But those ribs Not for me.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/08/09 18:32:14 (permalink)
Baah Ben, sorry you had such a disappointing experience. Every Dreamland I have been to did the ribs similar to what you indicated except they grilled them much longer. More like a hour and they were very tender and I certainly enjoyed their sauce.

The roadfood group enjoyed the Dreamland in Mobile this past February. Some went back twice.

The original Dreamland is in Tusculoosa and is totally different that the rest. They smoke and the rest grill I believe. I prefer grilled myself.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7911
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/08/09 18:37:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

I heard their original locations were much better. This one in Birmingham was opened by a cousin or some relative. It does a terrific business and it's a great looking place. But those ribs Not for me.

The original one in Tuscaloosa is The Real Deal- The only other one I went to was in Mobile- That was good- but "paled considerably" compared to Tuscaloosa.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/08/09 20:26:01 (permalink)
That's exactly what I'd heard..after I'd been to the one in Birmingham (great town!). The original was the one to go to. For years, I'd be watching college football on ABC and their announcers would rave about Dreamland's ribs. This was when Bama was still good. But, they were talking about the original location. So when I went to visit my cousins in Birmingham several years ago, I was so excited I was going to go to a Dreamland. Just did not work out.

Hey, I'd go back, order something else other than the ribs, get the sides and a double order of banana pudding.

Reflex - Big Bob Gibson's...Now you're talking legitimate "Q" Great place..Loved the white sauce. Wonderful ribs...Probably the 3rd best I've ever had...First being Arthur Bryant's and second Tom Jenkin's right here in So. Florida.
Milt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville, AL 2008/08/10 14:27:13 (permalink)
Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is the real thing - the original. The others are all franchises and seem to stand on their own - some are better than others. In metro Atlanta, there are numerous choices which are better than Dreamland. In Tuscaloosa, the ribs are fantastic.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1