Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section

Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
2008/10/07 10:04:17 (permalink)

Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section

There was an interesting story on the original Dreamland in USA Today last week. Basically said there is only one that maintains their original cooking process (slow cooked over wood) and original menu.

The one in Brimingham has their own cooking process. Throw the raw slabs on the cooker for 10 minutes and serve them..Nice and tough

11 Replies Related Threads

allyk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 154
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/07 10:52:11 (permalink)
    Yeah, I've heard this as well. The original in Tuscaloosa is still the best.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7016
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/07 10:58:14 (permalink)
    I have eaten at the one in B'ham and the ribs certainly were not tough. When our server asked us if we wanted dessert we replied, "Yes, another rack of ribs!"

I understand there are differences between the two but we loved the food in B'ham.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/07 11:50:27 (permalink)

The Dreamland in Mobile,AL does a pretty good job with their Ribs, too. We like the Brick Pit BBQ a bit better, but wouldn't turn down a chance to go to Dreamland BBQ again...and again...and again !!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13522
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/07 19:04:36 (permalink)
    The original in Tuscaloosa still smokes their product while the rest to my knowledge grills the product over wood. In my opinion only, I prefer the grill taste. I have eaten at Dreamland in Huntsville, Bham, Mobile, Montgomery and Tuscaloosa. All were very good to me. I never gound their ribs tough and in fact I found them very tender. I certainly enjoyed their sauce.

The one that I enjoyed the most was Dreamland in Huntsville, AL.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/08 03:20:19 (permalink)
    Al - I've heard the Brick Pit was very good. We were in Mobile, but never made it there. Went through the tunnel and just kept going on to Biloxi...Big mistake. I believe the Brick Pit has a website, too.

Lee - Glad you liked their ribs. Actually, for me, I'd go back again and just order dessert...Their banana pudding was one of the best versions I've ever had...Though last week, I found one I liked even more in Greenville, SC...Made with Oreo cookies!
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/08 07:05:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

. . . . We like the Brick Pit BBQ a bit better. . . .
    Us too! We've a daughter in Long Beach, MS, and the next time we visit, well, Mobile is pretty close! The Brick Pit's owner, Bill Armbrecht, is both pleasant and accommodating, and we really enjoyed ourselves[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=324&RefID=324/']there[/url].
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/08 18:26:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

. . . . We like the Brick Pit BBQ a bit better. . . .
    Us too! We've a daughter in Long Beach, MS, and the next time we visit, well, Mobile is pretty close! The Brick Pit's owner, Bill Armbrecht, is both pleasant and accommodating, and we really enjoyed ourselves[url='http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=324&RefID=324/']there[/url].

The Brick Pit was very accomodating to the group and we took up most of the restaurant. Some of the other patrons also joined the group. It was excellent and I am glad we found this place.

I am looking forward to our next Presidents day visit to either Savannah or Charleston.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Rockbeast
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/09 11:11:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7
    I am looking forward to our next Presidents day visit to either Savannah or Charleston.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Sundancer,
    If you go to Savannah, and have a chance to head out to the beach (Tybee Island) I've really enjoyed the Crab Shack for seafood and The Breakfast Club for...well, breakfast! The Crab Shack is entertaining and tasty. They have about 100 baby alligators in an enclosure out front which are fun to watch. Their motto is "where the elite eat in their bare feet!" You can eat inside or out. It seems like a tropical locale off the bayou (can a bayou be tropical) or maybe it has a 'Margaritaville' feel to it. You eat the shellfish and toss the shells into a hole in the center of the table. Delightfully shabby, it is...as Yoda might say.

Breakfast club is good old southern b-fast food, love their shrimp and grits. They might have some specials...once I had a Blackhawk Burrito which was an orange tortilla (infused with pepper sauce I think?) wrapped around eggs, chorizo sausage, hashbrowns and Monterey Jack cheese I think. Mmm, Mmm good!

Now, back to BBQ and Dreamland in particular. I've only had the pleasure of eating at the original Tuscaloosa location...and those ribs were excellent! I know Sundancer really loves the sauce. I would have to say I like it a lot, on the ribs. It seemed a bit too much bite for me when I dipped the white bread into it and ate it that way. Maybe it was just a tad too 'hot' for me to eat it by itself. But it definitely is a sauce to admire!

I have family in Springville, about 25 miles from Birmingham. I'll have to give the B'ham location a try next time we visit.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/09 11:27:02 (permalink)
    Paul-
    I'm curious why you like the Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville best?

I have only been to the ones in Mobile and Tuscaloosa and much preferred the original.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/09 14:54:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

Paul-
    I'm curious why you like the Dreamland BBQ in Huntsville best?

I have only been to the ones in Mobile and Tuscaloosa and much preferred the original.

Two things here BB:

1: I prefer grilled over smoke. Just a preference for me. On the grill, they still use wood but as a heat source instead of smoking.
    The original Dreamland in Tuscaloosa is the only one that smoke that I am aware of.

2: I have enjoyed many of the Dreamland locations. Perhaps it is just the day or whatever but the ribs I have had in Huntsville have always hit the spot for me. All were good but for some unknown reason that I cannot explain, they were more tender. I have no idea why???????????????

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Milt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Dreamland - USA Today Sports Section 2008/10/19 16:26:47 (permalink)
    I thoroughly enjoyed my ribs at the original Tuscaloosa location - once we found it. Shortly after the Roswell, Georgia location opened - we ate there three or four times and will not return. There is much better bbq in metro Atlanta at several places. The ribs weren't the only disappointment. The sides and the other meat offerings were all rather unimpressive. Perhaps the people operating the Alabama franchise locations have enough leeway to be doing their food better than the Georgia franchise operator. I have seen several complimenting the Alabama locations - but seldom hear positive comments about the Georgia locations.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1