Dressing or Stuffing?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 14:29:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dipstick

quote:
Originally posted by tiki

. Now i do dressing and stuff a lemon or two,an onion quarted-with its skin still on,celery tops and a carrot inside---not to eat but as aromatics---the lemon makes the most amazing difference in my gravy---everyone LOVES it and i have become quite proud of it to the point where i no longer miss---"stuffing"---and as we all know--leftovers and gravy are the real reason for thanksgiving!! Its also the reason the microwave was invented---pile up potatoes--dressing turkey and a big glob of cold gravy---pop it in the nuker and-------viola-instant happiness!

That sounds really good. Will have to give it a try. Do you slice the lemon or just leave it whole?

And by the way, not all of us "Yankees" like plain old stuffing. Cornbread stuffing/dressing is the tops!!! Yah, you betcha!

I cut them in half--sqeeze most of the juice into the cavity and rub it around the bird-then toss in the lemons and other vegies. It really is amazing what it does for the gravy. Until we moved this year i had a meyer lemon in the yard that was very sweet and worked really well but any lemon will work. Uaually made the gravy in the pan while the bird rests using toasted flour to make the roux and often blending up the celery/carrot/mirapaux into the roux and added broth a lttle at a time finishing with a bit of heavy cream. Hope it works out well for ya!
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 14:38:01 (permalink)
Ya know--i've lived in New England,Indiana, New Orleans,California,Colorado,Jamaica now Oklahoma and spent 7 yrs living out of a backpack on the road and i must say---you ALL have funny accents and i have yet to find a stuffing i wouldnt eat!Corn meal,bread,oyster,rice,sausage,even hade fruit stuffings and quinoa(sp?)once and with turkey gravy on em---they'r ALL good!!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 14:53:37 (permalink)
The Culinary Institute of America, the Hudson Valley's own world renown cooking and restaurant school, in it's "Master Dictionary of Food and Wine" says "stuffing" is what's "stuffed" into meats, etc. They do not even recognize the term "dressing".

BTW: Thanksgiving and eating a Turkey at that feast was invented in the Northeast and we'll thank you Johnny-come-latelys from other less historically correct regions to just take your turkey and stuff it!

Please excuse my attempt at a bit of crude humor - I really like and admire the people of every region of our diverse nation.
Kristi S.
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 15:20:10 (permalink)
It's stuffing to me, because if you fill up on lots of it, you're stuffed as well as a Steiff bear.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 18:01:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

After reading several posts about the upcoming Thanksgiving, I was wondering why do some use the term stuffing, and others dressing?

Being a good Texas girl, I make dressing.

Growing up in Missouri, my family always made "dressing", and it was always made as a side-dish; we NEVER stuffed the bird. (Well, I had an uncle who went on a binge once, and... but that's another story.)

Of course up there, it was white-bread dressing which I know, Lone Star, that you detest. I'm still trying to perfect my cornbread dressing (which is all I ever make anymore), but I can put out a wonderful bread dressing, if you ever want to try the "real thing".
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 18:06:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

[quote
(Well, I had an uncle who went on a binge once, and... but that's another story.)

Oh hoh,
You tease us with tales of "drunken uncles and stuffed birds" (actually that kind of sounds like an "adult"movie" />) and you won't even tell a short version? Not fair. Not fair at all.
Dipstick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 18:35:49 (permalink)
Thanks tiki! Am definitely going to give that a try! Up here in the North Star State, if one does not use the age old crouton, sage, and onion recipe, the yocals get vocal! I'm looking forward to throwing them a curve-ball this holiday. (Hopefully much better than the Cub pitchers would!)
Also, a great batch of cornbread dressing would fit the bill, along with Elise T's great sides. Thanks everyone!!!
By the way, I have a great respect for those south of the Mason-Dixon. Just quit playin' the banjo in your underwear on the front porch, ya'll!
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 18:59:55 (permalink)
Muzak! You're accusing us of sounding like Muzak? Ewwwwwww!

Haven't you ever noticed that when people with accents sing, unless it's a very strong one (British or Southern or some other European), they generally sound like we do when we talk. They drop most of their accents. So that leaves us.......well.......I guess kind of bland. White bread. We're Muzak after all.....

Wello, EdSails, you can just say you 'came out' on the roadfood forums.........

Hey, I LOVE cornbread. It just should stay in its' place, you know?

Running away again..........I've got such a yellow streak.
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 19:14:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pwingsx

Muzak! You're accusing us of sounding like Muzak? Ewwwwwww!
that leaves us.......well.......I guess kind of bland. White bread. We're Muzak after all.....
I'll admit that I once asked a lady from Minnesota to record my answering machine greeting. There are those who don't understand a voice coated with molasses and Wild Turkey.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 19:32:05 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Dipstick

By the way, I have a great respect for those south of the Mason-Dixon. Just quit playin' the banjo in your underwear on the front porch, ya'll!

Front Porch? Bubba, I play my harmonica while I am comfortably seated on the backseat out of my Mama's 72 Vista Cruiser. We can't figure out how to hook up a porch on the trailer, what with all the old cars and dog houses in the way" />
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 21:39:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

Oh hoh,
You tease us with tales of "drunken uncles and stuffed birds" (actually that kind of sounds like an "adult"movie" />) and you won't even tell a short version? Not fair. Not fair at all.

My delicate nature prevents me from revealing dark family secrets. You shoulda seen that poor bird, though...
CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1394
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 21:43:23 (permalink)
North of The Mason-Dixon line it's always stuffing. I make mine as a side dish-never in the bird.
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/16 22:43:13 (permalink)
Neither...it's stuffin' or it's dressin'..and it's about 50/50 on which of those it's called here.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7296
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/17 02:48:53 (permalink)
and......while we're on this topic, is the addition of oysters a New England thing or a Southern thing???? No matter what, it's my favorite stuffing/dressing on the planet!!
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/17 08:38:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

Filling is the term still used in PA Dutch areas (even restaurants). My family recipe used day-old white bread cubes, a few raw eggs, celery, onion, sage and other spices, mix by hand, add milk if too dry, and "fill" the turkey or place in a buttered baking dish and roast w/ the turkey. It is usually moister than most dressing/stuffings. Great with leftovers and gravy.

Yep, oneiron, that just the way my family makes it and it goes into the turkey. In another pan in the oven is a massive dish of potato filling, mashed potatoes mixed with all of the bread stuffing ingredients.

In some PA Dutch restaurants, if you order "filling" from the menu, you would receive potato filling, not bread filling.

For times other than Thanksgiving, I really like the Sterns' Peacemaker Herb & Fruit Stuffing from the Square Meals book. It contains both white bread and cornbread. I make it just like the recipe but substitue fresh orange segments for the grapefruit.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/17 08:40:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

and......while we're on this topic, is the addition of oysters a New England thing or a Southern thing???? No matter what, it's my favorite stuffing/dressing on the planet!!

Probably both, but I agree with you. I ADORE oyster dressing.

Growing up, my grandmother always made an extra dish of oyster dressing just for me. No one else in the family cared for it that much, but I ate it like there was no tomorrow.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/17 10:07:50 (permalink)
Rubyrose - how is potato filling made?

My aunt Betty decided she was going to be "cosmopolitan" one year and made oyster dressing instead of cornbread. There was a revolt in the clan, and that year is still remembered as "the year Aunt Betty went around the bend"

My boss told me that her mother made her dressing with chopped chicken gizzards in it.
Kind of a "dirty" dressing I suppose.

Mayhaw - see me for instructions on porch attachments. It is not too hard with chicken wire and duct tape.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/17 10:21:09 (permalink)
quote:

Mayhaw - see me for instructions on porch attachments. It is not too hard with chicken wire and duct tape.

Actually, I have seen some very nice ones made with plastic milk crates for support. I think there are some blue prints in the current issue of "Better Trailers and Hovels".There is also a nice article on smart ways on how to attach chains to car seats and make stylish porch swings out of them.

For helpful hints and ideas, try out this great home improvement website-

[url][/url]http://www.drbukk.com/gmhom/gmindex.html
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/17 10:29:21 (permalink)
It has always been dressing at my mother's house during Thanksgiving ! She makes it from scratch, cooks her own cornbread, makes her own turkey broth and uses all the turkey giblets ! Excellent !!

We have never had stuffing .... kinda seems weird dipping stuff out of the ole gobblers nether regions !!!! (but that's just me !!!)
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2888
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/17 13:55:04 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:

Actually, I have seen some very nice ones made with plastic milk crates for support. I think there are some blue prints in the current issue of "Better Trailers and Hovels".There is also a nice article on smart ways on how to attach chains to car seats and make stylish porch swings out of them.

For helpful hints and ideas, try out this great home improvement website-

[url][/url]http://www.drbukk.com/gmhom/gmindex.html

I once had a friend whose entire house was comprised of milk crate furniture...even her bed, the nightstands, coffee table, everything! I accompanied her on a crate run behind a shopping center one night (in my wilder days), and a cook came running out into the alley screaming at her for stealing his crates. He threw a huge knife at me. I picked it up (yoink) and jumped in the car as she hit the gas. I bet he was furious to not only lose crates, but his knife too. It's too long to fit in a drawer, but I still have that knife and I laugh every time I see it.
howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/17 14:54:57 (permalink)
Its stuffing in Northwest New Jersey. I love stuffing or dressing or filling with gravy or without. With chicken or turkey or pork or on a sandwich. It's a real comfort side.
CoreyEl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 156
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/17 17:17:18 (permalink)
It's dressing in my world, and it's made with stale white bread, fresh herbs, celery, onions and lots of butter. And some goes in the birdie, and some gets baked in a 13 x 9 pan because it's my favorite thing.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7296
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/18 03:13:55 (permalink)
Mayhaw, the "home improvement website" is hilarious! How do you guys find such stuff? We spent two weeks in southern Mississippi.....Hattiesburg, Manhattan, Pascagoula and saw every kind of trailer imaginable. But the VERY BEST was a Chinese restaurant recently opened, so it appeared, outside of Hattiesburg, where the sign out front proudly proclaimed: WE ARE WELCOME. So much for Mississippi.
Liketoeat
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 552
RE: Dressing or Stuffing? 2003/10/21 00:46:26 (permalink)
It's dressing to me and its got to be made primariy from cornbread (with just a little toasted biscuits or toast crumbled in). That made from soggy light bread ain't dressing; its soggy lightbread.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1