Drinking in Texas Bars

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/25 22:58:25 (permalink)
That was a headline story tonight, Saturday 3/25 on Fox News Channel... Interesting bit...
emhahn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/26 09:59:19 (permalink)
The biggest problem I see with this issue is that bartenders and servers are trained to identify drunken behavior. The separation here, is that law enforcement can use breathalizers, which obviously give accurate results of where someone stands as being "legally drunk."

So, even if a bartender or server has NOT overserved a customer, they could still be legally drunk, without showing any of the obvious signs of drunkenness, and still get arrested. EVEN if people have designated drivers, etc.

In the story I originally put up here, one of those who got arrested was in a hotel, and only had to go up the elevator to get to their room.

Another had a designated driver. And posed no threat on the road at all.

Even though the TABC says this is "not a fishing expedition," I'd like to see how they'd argue that it isn't. Their actions don't exactly match their words here.....

Eric
www.RestaurantEdge.com
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/26 19:23:07 (permalink)
Just watched this story of the NBC Evening News (3/26). All I can say is, "Another reason to stay the h_ll out of Texas" (as if I needed another). By the way, think I'll make sure my sister, who runs business conventions for a living, knows about this. I know she had had them in San Antonio, but I wonder if she'll want to do that again. Conventioneeers don't like having their partying halted by a trip to a Texas slammer.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/26 19:26:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I enjoy a good drink but I like to do it in the hotel where I will not be leaving or in my home. Since it is spring, my boat dock becomes one of my favorite places to enjoy a evening libation when I consume.

I have always had a fear of being caught while testing postive for alcohol.

Bars are a fertile place for policemen who want to keep intoxicated drivers off the road. Texas may have started a national trend.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul, one of the busted ladies shown on NBC was busted in the bar of the hotel where she was staying. They may CLAIM they are fighting drunk driving, but that is clearly not their sole intent.

I don't think they'll be following this trend in SF so if you want to be able to drink yourself into oblivion, as long as you don't get in a car afterward and don't mind having to go outside to smoke, come on out!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/26 19:57:01 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
This reminds me of what used to happen in a county in Florida where I have relatives. A sheriff was elected who was bitterly opposed to anyone drinking anything, anywhere, any time, under any circumstances. He managed at one time to pull all but four of the county's beer licences.
Then - guess what? A referendum came up - again - in an attempt to vote the county wet ("dry" counties in Florida can sell beer only). This had been tried on numerous occasions since the bitter wet/dry election of 1947 that left the county dry. This time it passed. This was in 2000. The same election, so I am told, saw him tossed out and a more reasonable person voted in to hold the office. This was in Hardee County, Florida.
Most law enforcement people around here enjoy an occasional cold one themselves and are simply out to keep idiots off the roads and/or out of trouble - not to scare responsible people away.
For the record, the highest I've ever blown into an intoxicometer when driving (or about to drive, for that matter) is 0.03%.
Sounds like folks in Texas have someone sending them on their witch hunt... must be an election year. Hmmm... I'm not planning to visit out there, anyhow.
Yawningly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
Freebird T Park
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 24
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/27 01:30:14 (permalink)
"It's a Texans God given right to drive in his pickup and drink a beer" is what some pols would get on a soap box and orate. That was before MADD got all powerful politically. They changed their tune. MADD members vote more then the Bubbas. Predict Kinky will bring a lot of the Bubbas out of the woodpile. He has my vote.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/28 12:52:31 (permalink)
Yep, Kinky has my vote. Lots of stuff on the Dallas tv news every day about this. Real bad for north Texas. Conventions are canceling.
Joe
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/28 21:24:20 (permalink)
I gotta say, ".08" is intangible to me.

One time I was in DC, had been out for a while and saw the DUI Enforcement Unit on the street. I thought to myself, I'm walking to my hotel room. I was certain I wasn't soused, so I asked them if they'd give me a test to see what my BAC was ...

... they told me to go away.

So this day, I have no idea what ".08" is.

BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/28 22:10:30 (permalink)
BT- edited to remove the connection to another posters quotes. AL

Bottom line--the risk of getting arrested for "public" intoxication while indoors in a licensed drinking establishment is plenty of reason to stay the h_ll out of Texas and to dislike it. Even though I personally have them, we don't need other reasons.
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 543
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/28 22:24:33 (permalink)
".08" refers to ones BAC, blood alcohol content or concentration. It simply means that that is what
the percentage of your blood is alcohol.The DUI/DWI standard used to .10%, however due to pressure from the Feds as to highway funds were to be dispersed, most if not all states went ot the .08 standard. Same tactic was used to get states to adopt the uniform 21 year old drinking age.

A.40% should be fatal in most people, however, I have seen some .08%'s survive, and I believe the "record" is a .095%
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/29 01:37:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by CCJPO

A.40% should be fatal in most people, however, I have seen some .08%'s survive, and I believe the "record" is a .095%

Excuse me! .095% ain't close to no record. It's barely drunk. Somebody who has tied a good one on can easily be in the 0.20 - 0.30% range and I have seen hard core alcoholics (high tolerance) in the 0.40+% range who hardly appeared drunk to the untrained eye. You must have meant the record was 0.95%
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/03/29 02:36:23 (permalink)
OOPs you are right, I meant to type, I have seen some .80%BAC survive, and that the "record" I have heard about is.95%BAC.

Must have been TWI, Typing while intoxicated
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/01 17:02:56 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Some years ago, after an incredible squeaker of a home football game (we won in the last 10 seconds) on an inordinately warm late October Saturday night, the Athens/Clarke police set up a checkpoint at the U. Ga. Arch downtown to test people's BAC. Most people were waved on through, including even some who were (illegally) drinking in the car but not obviously drunk. If it was figured that folks would make it home if they were careful, they were let go... after all, virtually the entire town was partying. One of the officers told me "I'll have my celebration when I get home. This game calls for it. I can't blame a soul for having some fun tonight."
The highest they found was a fellow who was about 6'4 and 275, driving, and not visibly drunk. He calmly got out of the car, walked unaided into the van, and immediately did the CLUNK thing. Turned out he registered 0.68%. An officer who was 5'4" and 130 said "If that had been me, I'd be dead." Of course, the guy pulled through - after his stomach was pumped. Ah, those Savannah Irish - they can put it down and not show it, they can.
The highest I've ever registered and later driven home (after time and food and considerable walking around) was 0.08%. (I walked up and asked to be tested so I'd know how long I needed to wait.) When I've been stopped while actually driving, I once registered 0.03% - that's my record. Every other time, it's been either nothing or TRACE.
Attempting To Be Presbyterianly Moderate, Ort. Carlton in All-Too-Partyin' Athens, Georgia.
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/07 00:33:06 (permalink)
Hey BT, I made a mistake, so sue me. Have you never made one? Maybe next time you can just point it out rather then offering your witty remarks. Maybe you with your 3086 posts and HOFFMAN, and his, I don't have anything better to do posts, should get togeather and measure your egos. Or at least have a urination contest, that is if you can stretch it out far enough to get near a tree.

How is that for snappy reparte.

Let's see who is next. It has been a long week, too much rain, can't get the fields in as good as shape as needed to plant yet, and the cattle are moody.
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/07 08:57:30 (permalink)
CCjpo,
My pickers refused to work this year leaving me w/ asparagus two feet tall. The pond is down and the ducks have deserted us. My daughter's prom date decided beautiful w/o sex wasn't as good as slut w/ sex. She's now going w/ a "friend".

When she departs for the prom tonight I'm going to pour a VERY large Scotch and sit on the deck w/o conversation. My wife has also requested the same thing except a bourbon triple.

We had hail yesterday...hail...all the collards and cabbage look like they were attacked w/ shotguns. At least the stupid chickens stayed home.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13523
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/07 09:00:39 (permalink)
V960: Are you sure you are not related to Job?.

Sounds like all kinds of bad stuff going on around your neighborhood. In addition, I think you got more bad weather coming your way.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
V960
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/07 10:52:08 (permalink)
Paul,
Since my last post a neighbor's bull dog killed three chickens. I killed the dog and have had to schedule a meeting w/ the sheriff. The dog has chicken feathers in his mouth, is ten feet from the dead chickens(we took pictures) and the neighbor wants $500 for the dead dog. I turned the dog's body over to animal control which ticked the guy off even more. By the way the new .17 Cal shoots like a frozen rope. A bit over 150 yards and the second shot really wasn't needed.

I tossed two shell casings at him and told him to pound salt. Once the oldest girl goes to the prom tonight that Scotch bottle is in danger. And yes we have more hail on the way. Sports cars are in the shed.

Can't get drunk in a Texas bar???????life is getting bad.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/07 11:06:08 (permalink)
V960: If I were you, I would go to the house, lock the door, fix up the BBQ grill and hideout for the rest of the day.

Your neighbor wants $500 for the dog? My guess is the chickens were worth $1000

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
V960
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/07 11:20:15 (permalink)
Kid has to get her nails done, hair done, deliver the certified check for the limo (when did this crap start, a Hummer limo for eighteen?) and get flowers for the guy?

I have cops pulling into my driveway now. I think I'll let mt wife handle the first part of this...her Uncle is the County Sheriff and she is mean as a East Tennessee snake...most of the time.

Let me get this straight...his dog kills my chickens on my land and I kill the dog...so police show up on my land? And I killed the dog w/ feathers in his mouth.

Prom night, dog killing day and of course hail is coming, I think I should go back to bed.
V960
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/09 11:08:51 (permalink)
The cops came to tell me how to sue the jerk who owned the dog. Turns out he lied about owning the property...he rents. Has a record of physical assaults and bad dog complaints (where does that combination come from?).

Neighbor moved out in the middle of the night. Loaded a rental truck and was gone when the cops showed up. Did leave a garage full of empty vodka bottles.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/09 11:12:52 (permalink)
V960: The dude moving out was your good fortune. Nobody wants a neighbor like that.

The least he could have done was share the vodka. At least you made his moving a little lighter.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/09 13:58:37 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

I gotta say, ".08" is intangible to me.

One time I was in DC, had been out for a while and saw the DUI Enforcement Unit on the street. I thought to myself, I'm walking to my hotel room. I was certain I wasn't soused, so I asked them if they'd give me a test to see what my BAC was ...

... they told me to go away.

So this day, I have no idea what ".08" is.

That is because they couldnt arrest you for a DUI and therefore couldnt make any money off ya..
It's all about the money.
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/10 03:51:20 (permalink)
Roossy90,

I don't know where you live but in Nevada there isn't money to be "MADE" off of someone arrested for drunk driving.

The penalty for some caught "deuce" for the first time is $692.00 in fines and fees, 2 days in jail (or 48 hours of community service), mandatory drivers license suspension DUI School, and attendance at a victim impact.

Now take in to account that once a person is stopped for DUI the arresting officer is involved for at least one hour as the officer has to do the prelinary breath test, the field sobriety test, then wait for the back-up officer to come to the scene, or for the tow truck to get there to impound the vehicle, which an officer has to inventory, then take the person to wherever the calibrated breath test has to occur, or to a hospital if the driver requests a blood draw or urine test. Then back to the jail where the person has to spend a mandatory 12 hours.

Then comes the court process, and many folks plead not guilty, which results in at least one more court appearance, to as many as two, or even more.

So the whole process involves, the law enforcement officer/s time, dispatchers time, DMV staff time jail staff, court clerks time, District attorney's time, a judge, witness fees, mileage, expert witness fees, overtime, etc. There is not a profit in a DUI, at least in Nevada.
V960
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/11 10:20:42 (permalink)
CCJPO,
Don't know where you're from but the end of the month in NC means license checks and MUCH more presure on the cops to tickets to raise money. You sign a ticket, send it in w/ a certified check and that is worth $125?

End of the month on I-85 north of Charlotte is what used to be and IMHO still should be called a speed trap.

Just another tax...
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/11 11:05:21 (permalink)
As stated in my post I live in Nevada. And I was directing my comments as to drivers arrested for DUI, not folks who recieve a citation (ticket) for speeding. These are two very different animals.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/11 13:25:50 (permalink)
quote:
Neighbor moved out in the middle of the night. Loaded a rental truck and was gone when the cops showed up. Did leave a garage full of empty vodka bottles.

They sound like the type that would let their kids play (and break) antique bottles filled with M & M's set out at checkout for a customer's treat. Say a silent little prayer of thanks.
V960
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/12 09:26:08 (permalink)
I won't continue my rant on traffic tickets but people should have the right to get drunk in a bar. Particularly in Texas. NYC and Texas that are good drinking places. I walk back to my hotel in both places.

Midtown...AHH...what a place to have a good time.
adbunting
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/13 14:37:30 (permalink)
Many things said in jest...

Like Ron White's routine. He got chucked out of a bar and was then cited for 'public drunkenness'. He TOLD them he didn't WANT to be drunk in public. He WANTED to be drunk in the bar.

I understand busting people is where Texas gets most of it's revenue. (Which is probably where G. Bush got his training to make normal things illegal so that you can bust people for it)

I guess they decided they can make a chunk of change from people who consciously choose an activity that will create an altered state. But stupid you're born with!

A*
Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1511
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/13 14:59:33 (permalink)
It's way worse here in the middle of California guys... our local government just approved putting undercover cops in bars to arrest patrons as they try to get into their cars!
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/13 15:34:33 (permalink)
According to a news report ya'll can rest easy now because the TABC has stopped that practice.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1