Drinking in Texas Bars

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15181
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/14 17:42:21 (permalink)
I saw the statement on the Net-News...Texas has suspended the enforcement of the law "pending further investigation by the TABC".
Another experiment gone bad....
Bushie
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/14 18:15:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by NebGuy

quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

Would someone care to comment on whether or not it was ever legal to drink beer while driving in the state of Texas? The story that I had been told may have been a fable, and I would like to know the truth about that issue.

My Mom lived in Austin in the late 70's and it was legal then. (At least that's what she told me) She isn't the type to be doing something like that if it's illegal. Once when I went down for a visit we went with some of her friends to the County Line BBQ which was a little road trip and included a cooler of beer for the drive. I'm sure it's no longer legal but someone from Texas would have to verify.

Put a call out for Bushie. I'm sure he would know.

Sorry guys, I just now saw this. It may have already been answered, but yes, when I moved here in late 1980, it still was legal to drink while driving, as long as you weren't over the legal limit of blood alcohol if you got stopped. Have no idea what that limit was then.

Back in Missouri at the time, you couldn't buy "singles", so it was really something to see tons of people getting off work stop and buy one for the road, particularly since it was entirely legal.

That was changed a LONG time ago, and I don't remember the year. Today, you can't even legally have an open container in the car.

The "funny" thing is that the sale of singles is even bigger than it was back then. Walk into almost any convenience store here, and right up near the register is a huge display of single beers on ice. Mostly 16 and 24 oz. I guess everyone is buying those ice-cold singles to drink after they get home...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13475
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/14 18:31:00 (permalink)
I guess this is a little off topic but I have to inquire from folks who may know. I never drive when I have had alcohol although I occasionaly take a drink with me when someone else is driving. Since I have alcohol in the vehicle, is that illegal?

I have done it many times and in fact one time I was a passenger in a vehicle going north on I-75 in middle Georgia and my driver got pulled over by the GHP for speeding. I had a drink in the floor and nothing was said but I am not sure he observed it.

Is it illegal to have alcohol in a car even if you are not a driver?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/14 18:42:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I guess this is a little off topic but I have to inquire from folks who may know. I never drive when I have had alcohol although I occasionaly take a drink with me when someone else is driving. Since I have alcohol in the vehicle, is that illegal?

I have done it many times and in fact one time I was a passenger in a vehicle going north on I-75 in middle Georgia and my driver got pulled over by the GHP for speeding. I had a drink in the floor and nothing was said but I am not sure he observed it.

Is it illegal to have alcohol in a car even if you are not a driver?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

It is down here, and I believe it's illegal in most states.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/14 18:48:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Yep, Kinky has my vote.

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/index.html

Sign the petition. Put a sticker on your car. I know lots of people who will be voting for Kinky, and I'm one of them.

For those of us who are completely disgusted with "the Crips and the Bloods" (as Kinky calls the Republicans and Dimocrats), his only chance of winning is to increase voter turnout.

I'm Bushie, and I approved this message.
nvb
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/18 11:06:35 (permalink)
The lastest is that TABC will resume their practice but will use a different standard to arrest. It also looks like the legislature will re-define public intoxication, too.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3728
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/18 11:34:49 (permalink)
I was thinking about this topic after my recent trips around the state of Texas. I was in a couple of bars in Dallas and Houston -- unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to explore Sixth Street in Austin this go around. I was in small groups each time, and witnessed many people out having a good time (read: consuming alcohol). There was no rash of people being arrested in bars. As a matter of fact, I only saw one police officer anywhere near a bar one time -- at a cantina in Houston near Rice U. Personally, I think that the cop was there to listen to the live music.

I am sure that the stories of people being arrested are true, but the perception that the police were unleashed on unsuspecting bar patrons who consumed one or two beers and otherwise behaved responsibly is just not correct.

I think that like most issues, this one has two sides, and the propoganda being pushed from one side was the stuff that made all the headlines. If, on the other hand, this "operation" got one less person to drink and drive, I would consider it successful.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/18 12:18:24 (permalink)
This has bean all over the news here in the Dallas area. It has kinda calmed down now as the local police have backed off the arrests. The cancelation of a few big conventions brought the real power out, $$$$.
Joe
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/18 13:05:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

What is this going to do to the convention business? My guess cooler heads are going to prevail. Once it hits them in the pocket book things will simmer down. Chow Jim
As I stated a couple of weeks ago, they have backed off. Chow Jim
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/18 15:39:22 (permalink)
My understanding is that alcohol laws are state issues but are generally enforced by the locals. Exception is distilling but tthat is somethign else.

The Feds do have the power to take away Fed Hwy money if your laws, alcohol or speed limits don't meet theeir approval.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/18 15:47:03 (permalink)
Sorrry Jim, I forgot about you sayin that earlier. Anyway, kinda funny how loud $$$ talks!

Im from Dallas so here is one for you Texas bashers earlier in this thread'

Bubba and Billy Bob were in Oklahoma on vacation when Bubba saw a sign in a store window that said "suits $5.00, shirts 50c, trousers $1.00". Bubba told Billy Bob "hey, lets make some money and take this stuff back to Texas". Bubba backed tha pickup up to the door and told the guy in the store "I'll take 50 of them suits, 100 of them shirts, and 50 pair of them trousers. The guy in the store asked "yall are fron Texas arn't you?" Billy Bob asked "howd ya know" The guy in the store said "cause this is a dry cleaners!"
Joe :~)
V960
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/18 18:20:05 (permalink)
not on topic but a fairly good and clean joke

What did the the NC State grad say to the Carolina grad?

"Would you like to super size that order?"

insert your own places of higher learning in the proper places
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3728
RE: Drinking in Texas Bars 2006/04/18 22:49:49 (permalink)
I thought these were all Aggie jokes...

Q: How do you get the A&M grad off your lawn?
A: Pay him for the pizza.

Q: How do you keep your daughter from seeing an A&M football player?
A: Keep her in the end zone.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1