Drinks: Canned soda vs fountain drink?

Author
jedi5
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 39
2011/01/20 13:27:27 (permalink)

Drinks: Canned soda vs fountain drink?

Hi all.

We're up in the air as to sell canned soda with our food or go with a soda dispenser.
Is there a preference?

From a profit stand point, all signs point to a soda dispenser.

Is it a hassle keeping up with your soda dispenser?
You run out of syrup, etc...

We'd be looking a 6 flavor built in ice.

Thoughts?

4 Replies Related Threads

reese77
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Drinks: Canned soda vs fountain drink? 2011/01/20 13:50:54 (permalink)
    I do not own a restaurant and have not used a soda dispensing system but I have researched it for use on my truck and while the profits are higher with the dispensing system. You have to deal with syrup boxes and co2 and you cannot walk into Sams' Club or Costco and buy them items, they will have to be delivered to you.

Also, you have people like me and my mother in law who hate the taste of soda from the dispensers versus a can or bottle. There is a definite difference in flavor even when the syrup, water and cO2 mix is correct.
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    Re:Drinks: Canned soda vs fountain drink? 2011/01/20 17:14:29 (permalink)
    If I know there's an alternative, I'll turn around and walk out if I enter a restaurant and discover one of those coolers full of the same canned and bottled sodas I can buy in a supermarket.   For one thing, I like lots of ICE in my soda.  I also give extra points for places that have a soda machine out in the dining room so you can get free refills and you can adjust the ice/soda ratio to your own liking.  I've eaten many terrible Burger King burgers just because they do this.
    reese77
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 508
    Re:Drinks: Canned soda vs fountain drink? 2011/01/20 17:20:36 (permalink)
    BT

If I know there's an alternative, I'll turn around and walk out if I enter a restaurant and discover one of those coolers full of the same canned and bottled sodas I can buy in a supermarket.   For one thing, I like lots of ICE in my soda.  I also give extra points for places that have a soda machine out in the dining room so you can get free refills and you can adjust the ice/soda ratio to your own liking.  I've eaten many terrible Burger King burgers just because they do this.

Than you have your answer and this also depends on the type of restaurant that your starting. And for the nicer restaurants that do serve canned soda, they crack it open in the kitchen, pour it in a glass and take it to the customer.
    StickMan
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Drinks: Canned soda vs fountain drink? 2011/01/22 14:04:41 (permalink)
    The dispenser is the way to go.

We have a contract with Pepsi and they own and service the machinery.  I buy the CO2 - the CO2 vendor owns the tank and has the refill valve mounted on the exterior of the store so they refill at 3am without ever walking in the store.

As for syrup I buy it through our primary vendor (US Foods) at the price negotiated with Pepsi.  Same deal is available thru Coke.  Comes down to a negotiation and who will give you the best deal.  It is rare that a customer is steadfast in their brand preference for Coke vs Pepsi in my experience.  Once you get the equipment in it is a pain to pull out and replace with the other vendor so ask around before deciding.

Stocking syrup is not a big problem - the boxes have clear expiration dates on them and can be stored at room temp for weeks at a time (make sure your vendor doesn't ship you old boxes nearing expiration - they may try that when you are new).  Some syrup will take a long time to go through (fruit punch for us) while other syrup goes fast (pepsi/diet pepsi for us). 

Not sure if you are full service/quick service/fast but free refills are a draw in the fast space which makes dispenser usage a must.

One caveat on dispensers - make sure to clean the nozzles properly every night.  Not a big chore (simple 3 minute task at night and a 3 minute task in the morning), but the crap that grows in the nozzles if they aren't cleaned aggressively will turn your stomach.  Check them regularly and show staff you consider it important.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1