The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Drive-in Movies = Roadfood?

Hotrodder

• Total Posts: 58
Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/2/03 11:03 AM (permalink)
Whatcha think?

I'm going to hit the local drive-in tonight.. and to tell the truth it's more for the food/atmosphere.

http://www.tri-waydrive-in.com/concessions.htm

They have the best Chicago Dog outside the windy city. Killer cheeseburgers and tenderloins. The only thing I stay away from is the Pizza.. It's just Jacks (was Tombstone) frozen pizza.

And while on the topic of Drive-in's. They are the only place I catch a movie. I can't stand the new "mega-plexes"... even if going to the drive-in alone is kinda pathetic

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
    RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/2/03 11:24 AM (permalink)
    I wish I had a drive in to go to! You are so lucky.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/2/03 12:10 PM (permalink)
      I really miss the drive-ins. Looks like yours serves a lot better chow than the ones I used to go to back in Missouri!!

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
        RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/2/03 12:11 PM (permalink)
        Our local drive-in just closed for the winter season. Here are some pictures, if you'd like to see it:

http://www.shankweilers.com/gallery.html

Hotrodder

RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/2/03 2:14 PM (permalink)
          ACK! oh well, mine is closed too.

Laughing Goddess

• Total Posts: 89
            RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/2/03 11:58 PM (permalink)
            The one I know of that's supposed to hve the best food is in Mendon, Mass. (but then I haven't been to every drive-in in the country! Now THAT would be a great summer roadtrip, eh!)

The food at my local drive-in (Fayetteville, AR) is terrible. YOu really have to bring food in or else starve.

You have THREE screens at your drive in, Hotrodder? I might have to make a roadtrip to Indiana, soon.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
              RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Wed, 09/3/03 12:25 AM (permalink)
              I think our local drive-in this week is showing Finding Nemo, and Seabiscuit, for 8 bucks a carload. That could be one of the better movie deals in America this year.

BigGlenn

RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Wed, 09/3/03 12:26 AM (permalink)
                Did Ya hear about the two dummies that froze to death at the drive in theater? They went to see "Closed For Winter!"

Laughing Goddess

RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Wed, 09/3/03 12:55 AM (permalink)
                  Heehee. One of my friends, from Nebraska, told me that the drive-ins there were actually open all winter. When you pulled up to the booth and paid, they gave you a small heater to put in the car.

Watching a drive-in movie in the SNOW?! That's amazing.

DinerMike

• Total Posts: 10
                    RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Wed, 09/3/03 3:29 AM (permalink)
                    I went to the Mendon Drive-In last year and yes the food was wonderful..

http://www.mendondrivein.com/

Sundancer7

RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Wed, 09/3/03 5:01 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Laughing Goddess

Heehee. One of my friends, from Nebraska, told me that the drive-ins there were actually open all winter. When you pulled up to the booth and paid, they gave you a small heater to put in the car.

Watching a drive-in movie in the SNOW?! That's amazing.

In East Tennessee and in the 60's when drive in theatres were sort of vogue and when I went, I was hoping I did not need a heater for additional warmth

Paul E. Smith
                      Knoxville, TN

Laughing Goddess

RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Thu, 09/4/03 8:57 PM (permalink)
                        Well I hope you didn't either, Paul.

Hotrodder

RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Sat, 09/6/03 1:35 AM (permalink)
                          FYI They were open this weekend... if you happen to stop by forget what I said about the tenderloins, pre-fab frozen junk , they were real last year. The dogs and burgers are still top quality.

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                            RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Mon, 09/8/03 10:13 PM (permalink)
                            It's just a once-a-year thing, but here in Atlanta, the last drive-in in town, the Starlight Six, hosts the Drive-Invasion every Labor Day weekend. Rockin' live bands, the Dixie Fried hot rod show, some choice grindhouse cinema...they condone (encourage) bringing your grill, but with Uncle Mack's BBQ serving it up, why would you? See you there next year!

garykg6

• Total Posts: 358
                              RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Fri, 09/12/03 4:32 PM (permalink)
                              many years ago, I got a chance to eat excellent food at the Union,NJ drive-in, only problem encountered was that, being practically naked, spillage got pretty painful at times

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Fri, 09/12/03 4:45 PM (permalink)
                                We still have one in Ocala. Used to have TWO in Gainesville. They both closed before I ever was old enough to "warm up" with someone. Enjoyed going as a kid though. My Dad would take the back seat out of the ol' Chevelle, put down a piece of plywood, then a mattress. Instant bed should my brother or I fall asleep. This especially came in handy when we went on our trips to W.Va. Mom was no fun when it came to Drive-In's or road food. She always packed stuff from home to eat. I'll never forget the "colored" popcorn, canned soda's, and fried chicken. All we stopped for was bathroom breaks for us and the dog while traveling....BORING MOM!!!!! I love her though......now I make up for it, when me, hubby and the kid's travel we stop everywhere. Gotta make up for lost time you know!?

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                                  RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Sat, 09/13/03 9:36 AM (permalink)
                                  I envy the heck outta you. St. Pete, Florida, has waved bye-bye to drive-ins, diners, and train service. Please read this:
                                  http://www.popcultmag.com/obsessions/fadsandphenoms/drivein/drivein.html

peppertree

• Total Posts: 301
                                    RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Sat, 09/13/03 12:58 PM (permalink)
                                    Drive-in turn offs:

1. Too hot (or cold outside and fogged up windows).
                                    2. Mosquitos (a big problem in New Jersey).

Other than those, I have good drive-in memories in the Philadelphia area from the seventies when I was in college.

My favorite was on Ridge Avenue just outside Philadelphia and my second favorite was Trevose, PA, but it was only XXX rated and I don't watch that kind of stuff anymore.

A movie title I remember but can not tell you a thing about was typical of drive-ins; it was called, "Cememtery Girls."

What weird drive-in only movies do you remember?

The last time I went to a drive-in was when I drove cross country by myself and wanted to unwind from all day driving at a place in Elko, Nevada. I saw Spring Break and Fort Apache (The Bronx). These two were about as culturally different from Elko as is possible and still be American.

I never remember any food but the worst at the drive-in. To me, it was all bad. It is better to take a bag full of White Castle hamburgers with you and share them.

Hotrodder

RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Sat, 09/13/03 4:42 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      A movie title I remember but can not tell you a thing about was typical of drive-ins; it was called, "Cememtery Girls."

What weird drive-in only movies do you remember?

The Legend of Boggy Creek! It was a "bigfoot" movie filmed in a documentry style.. Scared the holy hell out of me. I remember not sleeping and reading Dick and Jane book's to keep awake!

KimChee43

• Total Posts: 382
                                        RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Sat, 09/13/03 7:53 PM (permalink)
                                        There used to be several drive-ins in our area years ago; now, there's only one left. They show first run films. Can't say that the food there is anything special. Real estate prices have skyrocketed around here; the drive-in owners, as well as the farmers, are selling off their land to the developers...just what we all need: one more housing development or mini mall. To say nothing about the increase in traffic congestion.

Still have to laugh every time I listen to that old Cheech & Chong skit where they go to a drive-in, though.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                          RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Mon, 09/15/03 10:28 PM (permalink)
                                          Dearfolk,
                                          At last check, Georgia had four remaining drive-in theatres:
                                          1) Atlanta's famous Star-Lite, located on Moreland Avenue, S/E (U. S. 23, or GA. 42 - the locals refer to it as "42 Highway" or "42 Number") is operated by the third generation of the original owner's family. It is thriving; there are enough pop culture freaks to keep it showing seven nights a week. Long may it live!
                                          2) One in Blue Ridge, a city of 2,000 in the similarly-named mountains that also still sports a walk-in theatre downtown.
                                          3) One in Jesup, in South Georgia, on the way to Brunswick.
                                          4) A recently-built new operation in Dewy Rose, near Elberton. It replaces the late, lamented Commerce Drive-In, where the screen collapsed: I think it's unsalvagable....
                                          As for South Carolina, I know of two:
                                          1) Beaufort, South Caroilina has one near the big Marine base that, so I am told, runs shows in hurricanes - until the power goes out. Takes more than a little fowl weather to daunt a Marine, I would suppose.
                                          2) Worth a long drive: the hand-built Monetta Drive-In in Monetta, South Carolina. Open from March to November and on weekends only, this place had been closed for years when it was bought and restored about 6 years ago. It's close to some good barbecue as well. Jane, Michael: you really ought to check this out while you're in Batesburg/Leesville! They've got GREAT t-shirts, but I refuse to buy one until I actually make it there.
                                          I know of a sporadic few more, but there are websites for y'all to surf to learn more about this.
                                          It's impossible for me to lead this to food any more than I have. So wee'll just leave it as is: pop culture is pop culture, folks.
                                          Wanting To See Texas Chainsaw Massacre V (In Glorious Black & White) When It Comes Back Around, Ort. (The Ripper) Carlton in Ever-Cautious Athens, Georgia.
                                          P. S. Aww, c'mon, folks... the only thing I rip is into a nice plate of shredded pig!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                                            RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/16/03 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                            Ort, I'm glad you're out of jail and back on site after setting fire to the UGA library.

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
                                              RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/16/03 11:05 AM (permalink)
                                              The Texas Chainsaw Massacre has got to be the ultimate Drive-In movie!

I really do wish my kids had the driv-in as a place to go on the weekends. You always had the option of going with a group of friends and basically visiting and general teenage whooping it up. Of course you always had the same "spot". Now, if you went on a "date" you parked in a different area where you were not disturbed.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                                RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/16/03 12:02 PM (permalink)
                                                Texas Chainsaw Massacre for me too! "Little Big Man" sticks in my craw although I don't think it was weird. Hey, I was a kid...

improviser

• Total Posts: 865
                                                  RE: Drive-in Movies = Roadfood? Tue, 09/16/03 1:07 PM (permalink)
                                                  Thanks for the info about SC drive-ins, Ort. I'm a Clemson student and I may just have to drive down to Monetta to check out their drive-in.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com