Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA

Author
trieschman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/05/25 01:07:46 (permalink)

Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA

looking for great places to eat along the way as well as in the area of Hershey. Thanks in advance

11 Replies Related Threads

BrittanyL
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/25 02:18:55 (permalink)
    I live in Indianapolis and my family is in Ohio, so I do a lot of back and forth.

If you are driving across I-70, here are my suggestions:

Clara's Pizza King in Richmond, Indiana is worth a stop. It is by far the coolest PK I've ever been too...with a double-decker bus parked inside an old church and antiques suspended from every surface, it's a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach.

Just north of I-70 (off I-75) in Vandalia, Ohio is the Airline Dairy Creme (224 N Dixie Dr, Vandalia, OH 45377). Chili dogs, soft serve, pretzels, shredded chicken, and more. It's very nostalgic. Very nearby Airline Dairy Creme is Jim's Donuts (on US-40 between I-75 and the Dayton Airport). Good family-owned doughnut shops are a rare find anymore...this one has plastered the walls with pictures of regulars and local celebrities (122 East National Road Vandalia, OH 45377). Vandalia is where the Dixie Hwy and the Old National Road cross.

Salvi's Bistro has very good Italian food, just west of Columbus...you can see the restaurant from I-70. It's a little pricier but delicious with great service, and the owner has invented his own side dish called PastaSalvi. You won't have to go out of your way at all to eat here.

In the city of Columbus, I highly recommend Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village. It has been around since 1886 an it's always been worth my while to go a little out-of-the-way to get there (no direct way from the highway to the schnitzel). The architecture in this old neighborhood is wonderful. My dad buys their Bahama Mamas to serve at HIS restaurant!

If you are a history/literature geek, Zanesville, OH (about 45 miles west of Columbus) has some good eats as well. I really enjoyed sitting on Muddy Miser's riverside patio. They have a fish ruben that people say is to die for. I don't like 1000 island dressing so I passed, but my friend gobbled his down and raved about it. I had some very good mac and cheese there. The restaurant is decorated with legitimate Zane Grey memorabilia.

That is as far west as I regularly go, but Pennsylvania Amish food is awesome (but not available on Sundays), and the Hershey Park ice cream is...well...ice cream. LONG line, higher price, same stuff. Worth a stop though, if you're a chocolate nut (which I am not). Have fun and good luck. Don't be afraid to stray onto US-40 if there's construction on I-70.
    BrittanyL
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/25 02:20:27 (permalink)
    All the websites got taken out, but if you want links let me know. They're pretty easily found on Google.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 902
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/25 09:37:17 (permalink)
    BrittanyL, I quite liked your descriptions, and I hope you continue to post. Welcome to Roadfood!
    trieschman
    Junior Burger
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/25 17:16:27 (permalink)
    BrittanyL - thank you so much. These sound like great ideas and worth keeping in mind for more than just this trip since they are rather close to home!
    Weavo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/27 07:13:53 (permalink)
    I live in Hershey, but need more info.  There's an abundance of good eating here.  What kind of meals/food do you like?  Kids or no kids?  I'm not going to be available for a few days, so I hope you're not leaving soon, but if you want to start at the top Hotel Hershey shouldn't be missed, as well as a visit to The Gardens as long as you're there.  It's $$$$, but worth every penny.  Milton Hershey built the place, so there's all kinds of history.  If you enjoy Sunday brunch, it's the best I've ever had in my life.  You will need a jacket, or they can supply one.  Hope to talk again soon.
    bwave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/27 08:30:11 (permalink)
    I'm coming to Hershey as well on June 9th, any pizza joints/diners you'd recommend?   Also, I've already been to HPark myself, going to the hotel for a conference, is there any places to sneak away for an hour or two as far as an attraction/museum besides HP?
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/27 09:43:58 (permalink)
    If you're in the area the weekend of June 4-5-6, head over to Reading for the big World War 2 Days air and history show. It must be seen to be believed.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3738
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/27 13:12:10 (permalink)
    http://www.feniccis.com/index.htm

This is one of our favorite places to eat, in Hershey, without busting the budget.  The pizzas are excellent and so is all of their other food.  It is a nice friendly  family owned place  with great service.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/27 15:23:07 (permalink)
    Greymo

http://www.feniccis.com/index.htm

This is one of our favorite places to eat, in Hershey, without busting the budget.  The pizzas are excellent and so is all of their other food.  It is a nice friendly  family owned place  with great service.

Holy Smoke! I was there for apizza in around 1960 when it was DeAngelis'. I was in Hershey to see a friend who was in the Ice Follies with my sister. The show was in Hershey. 
     Ruth Cameron. That was her name. She was from Calgary.

Wow! What a memory!
    trieschman
    Junior Burger
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/05/31 12:38:50 (permalink)
    Weavo I am very interested in your suggestions. We are not traveling until July.

We have two girls aged 4 and 7. We LOVE local restaurants and home cooked food. Finding a dive with good food is heavenly. I have eaten at the Hershey Hotel when I was a little girl. I just remember the stairs and the fancy atmosphere. We will consider the brunch.

Can't wait to hear more from  you!!!!
    post edited by trieschman - 2010/05/31 12:40:04
    Weavo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re:Driving Indpls to Hershey, PA 2010/06/08 14:21:32 (permalink)
    OK, here goes.  Log onto Tripadvisor.com and check out what they have listed for Hershey.  I made my list prior to checking it out, and everyone did a great job. The restaurants on my list that coincide are #1 Chocolate Ave. Grille for a great lunch or dinner, with outdoor seating option. #2 is OK for italian since we lost Lucy's and DeCarlo's.  Homey place and good service. Plus they now have a sandwich/pizza/ice cream place next door if you want something lighter or to take out.  (Both of these restaurant are within park walking distance) #4 Hershey Pantry is OUTSTANDING for breakfast, but count on a wait.  Pick a sunny day and do it!  I understand everything else is good also, we just always have breakfast there.  #6 Penn Hotel-I haven't been there since the new ownership but if you want a "dive" with great food, here you go.  We always ordered the cheesesteaks and fries.  #20 Union Canal House is fine dining and I've never had a bad meal there.  You can dress office casual, but make a reservation. And don't pass up the oysters rockefeller.  Best I've ever had.  Venture into Hummelstown, adjacent to Hershey and have any meal at The Soda Jerk.  It's a old fashioned diner with terrific food and ice cream, and I know the girls would like it.  I would think all of these restaurants have websites.

Now I'm sending you out of town if you have the time.  Mount Gretna is the most charming town near Hershey.  It's 15 miles from Hersheypark.  The town is a tiny entity that has everything and would be a wonderful place to spend the day.  You can buy tickets to use the lake and beach.  There's is miniature golf and  rails to trails biking or hiking.  Dinner at The Hideaway is recommended (another ex-dive renovated), with dessert at The Jigger Shoppe (anykind of ice cream you'd want).  Again, the girls would love this.  Mount Grena also has a playhouse and very nice website.

Oh, another favorite dive with great food is The Friendly Rising Sun in Campbelltown, which is about 7 miles from the park.  They have an all you can eat fish fry every Friday night and I always get the stewed tomatoes and mac/cheese with my fish.  Wow.

Well, eating is a priority for me, so I hope this helps.  I know I'll think of another place or so prior to July, so keep checking back.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1