Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!)

Author
mrphil
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
2010/01/31 11:19:04 (permalink)

Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!)

I'm driving from NY to Montreal in April and am thinking of a roadfoodish hot dog stop on the way. Ive got two small children so, this is more a dash in and try one kind of stop. I was thinking of Famous Lunch in Troy or New Way Lunch in Glen Falls or somewhere in Plattsburg.

Which one would you recommend? My situation is only going to allow me to stop at one or the other. I know Famous is a bit longer of a drive off the thruway, but I figure if it's the better choice.

9 Replies Related Threads

sk bob
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!) 2010/01/31 21:34:10 (permalink)
    why hasn't this been moved to; where should I eat?
    saps
    • Total Posts : 1560
    Re:Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!) 2010/01/31 22:03:03 (permalink)
    Quite possibly because the poster is asking about hot dog places, and this is a hot dog forum.
    ken8038
    • Total Posts : 1595
    Re:Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!) 2010/01/31 22:08:50 (permalink)
    Yes, Famous Lunch is a little out of the way, but if you're with little kids, I bet they'd get a kick out of the little hot dogs that are unique to the Capital Region. So I'd say go for it.

It's an interesting neighborhood to walk around after eating too.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    Re:Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!) 2010/01/31 23:58:52 (permalink)
      If you're coming up through Vermont on Interstate 89 and your main considerations are a top quality hot dog as well as easy on and off, T.J.'s Dawg House, 1325 Maple Tree Pl., Williston, Vt. , is located in the parking lot of a shopping mall only a mile from the interstate and offers a Vienna Beef dog, with a whole host of toppings...including the necessary condiments for a Chicago style dog, if one so wishes.  

If the weather is nice, avail yourself of the outdoor seating, tables and umbrella.

However, if so considering, I'd call the Christmas Tree Shop, which is  near to where he is located,  to make sure he has set up for the season.  This is a good dog.

The Bear

mrphil
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    Re:Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!) 2010/02/01 13:30:50 (permalink)
    Thanks Screenbear, will be taking the northway to Montreal, But will be in Vermont (montpelier/Waterbury) in June. So this is a great suggestion!
    hkrall
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re:Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!) 2010/03/11 19:45:42 (permalink)
    If you're going to Plattsburgh and planning on stopping at Clare & Carl's, make sure they are open! They close for the winter (I have some very nice photos of a closed hot dog stand)

Although supposedly they open 1st week of april, perfect for your trip. We went to Gus's which was decent, but I feel like I missed the real thing. There's always Mcsweeney's and some others... the "Michigan hot dog" fan page on facebook has some discussion of places I've never heard of.. "Ronnie's", etc:

Also in Vermont I would highly recommend Fat Franks in Bellows Falls, off of route 91. The dogs are all local-ish (mass?) .. the jumbo seems to be their thing, but I liked the skinny ones- they come on new england buns, the jumbos don't. All of the toppings are house-made (and good).. hand cut fries, etc. They have the dogs and sausages for sale by the pound to take with you.. and lots of great local beers... loved it.

englw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!) 2010/03/31 08:58:52 (permalink)
    If you like chilli sauce, New Way in Glens Falls (Queensbury) off exit 19 is very good, we call them "dirt dogs"because the sauce is a little thinner than most meatsauces. Mikes hot dogs on Erie Blvd in Schenectady serves a GREAT dog that has chilli meatsauce a little on the spicy side. I have been eating there for 50 years. Newest Lunch on Albany St and Broadway Lunch on Broadway both in Schenectady have both been serving dogs with a greek meat sauce that is a little less spicy and a hint of allspice for many decades. These are all wonderful places for a good meatsauce dog. "All the way" (mustard,meatsauce,and onions) is the way the natives like them.
    Foodosaurus
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 622
    Re:Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!) 2010/03/31 09:25:01 (permalink)
    englw

If you like chilli sauce, New Way in Glens Falls (Queensbury) off exit 19 is very good, we call them "dirt dogs"because the sauce is a little thinner than most meat sauces. 

I would have to agree.  New Way Lunch is fantastic. Here is Michael Stern's Review. http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/3836-3736/new-way-lunch

You will need at least 3 "All the way," which is Mustard, Onions, and Sauce, even for the smallest appetite!
    bostonhotdogman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Driving NY to Montreal -Hot dog stops (can only make one!!) 2010/08/11 04:07:42 (permalink)
    Why not wait until you get to Montreal and go to Belle Provence? 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1