The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Driving from Dallas to Rice and Corsicana TX 1 day

KokomoJoe

• Total Posts: 264
Driving from Dallas to Rice and Corsicana TX 1 day Tue, 11/4/03 5:20 PM (permalink)
When we go to Louisiana we fly into Dallas. We are then driving rented car (south about 45 min.) to Rice TX and will stay in Corsicana TX. Any suggestions for breakfast,lunch or dinner!? And...anyone out there know how long a drive it is from Corsicana to Shreveport LA and what the best route is? Have to go through Tyler TX on the way...any suggestions for a meal there? I've heard of the Collin St. Bakery in Corsicana...has anyone else? Thanks! Happy eating! KokomoJoe

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
    RE: Driving from Dallas to Rice and Corsicana TX 1 day Tue, 11/4/03 5:33 PM (permalink)
    By all means stop at the bakery! I love the fruit bars and lemon bars. We stop every year on our way home from OK.

Maybe Bushie, or some of the others will have an idea about the best route, I don't get into that area of Texas much.

Here is a link to the bakery:

www.collinstreet.com/

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
      RE: Driving from Dallas to Rice and Corsicana TX 1 day Tue, 11/4/03 6:31 PM (permalink)
      KKJ, you asked about breakfast. Not sure what time your plane gets in, but from DFW, you could drive into "downtown" Irving. There's a great little cafe called Joe's Coffee Shop, right on Irving Blvd. (a main east-west street). I had to look up the nearest cross-street, but it's near O'Connor, which is a major north-south thoroughfare through Irving.

Joe's have been around for ages, and it's a great place for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Waitresses will call you "Hon".

Don't know of any places in Corsicana, but that's just my ignorance. When leaving for Shreveport, your most direct route is up through Tyler, as you mentioned. I also don't know of any good places in Tyler.

HOWEVER, you'll also be going through Athens. This is one of the places that claims to be the "home of the hamburger". Texas Monthly recommends a place there called Ole West Bean 'N' Burger Company. It's been voted the best burger in Athens, but I've never eaten there. I looked up the address; 1500 E. Tyler St.

Past Tyler off I-20, there's a town named Longview. Bodacious BBQ is a place I used to eat, and it was always good. It's been a number of years, but I still hear good things. It's become a "regional chain", so you should be able to find one with no problem (ask a local).

I expect it'll take 3 to 4 hours to drive from Corsicana to Shreveport, not counting restaurant stops. Have fun!

John B

RE: Driving from Dallas to Rice and Corsicana TX 1 day Wed, 11/5/03 10:39 PM (permalink)
        I can second the recommendation for Bodacious BBQ in Longview. When I lived there it was my favorite place to eat. Great BBQ and sauce.

irisardor

• Total Posts: 49
          RE: Driving from Dallas to Rice and Corsicana TX 1 day Fri, 11/14/03 11:31 AM (permalink)
          MILEAGE

Dallas to Rice 44.0
          Rice to Corsicana 10.8
          Corsicana to Tyler 71.7
          Tyler to Shreveport 92.7

TOTAL 219.2

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
            RE: Driving from Dallas to Rice and Corsicana TX 1 day Mon, 12/29/03 7:08 PM (permalink)
            From Corsicana go south on I-45 for 30 miles to Fairfield. Take the second Fairfield exit and cross the freeway to Sam's. They have a bufet that will knock your socks off with tasty meats and the freshest vegetables. And if you have any room left at all, you gotta have a piece of pie. It is to die for.

And if that ain't enough, when you have the buffet, they serve you a mini loaf of fresh baked bread! This place is Texas hospitality at its best!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com