Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 302
2003/10/16 20:58:39 (permalink)

Drug Store Soda Fountains

Where are they? Where are the best?

There is one that I know of in Austin. It is called Nau's Enfield Drugstore.

Malted milk shakes are made the traditional way including green Hamilton Beach Blenders. In Brooklyn we call them Malteds.

Chocolate, Vanilla, Cherry, Strawberry $1.85 including the canister.
Pineapple and Banana are $2.50.

They have shakes, sodas and malts (or malteds) in all those flavors. Sundaes and floats are available too.

I love Malteds!

48 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/16 21:33:13 (permalink)
    Nau's is the only "real" one in this area I can think of right now. For some reason, I believe there's another I can't recall. I'll get back to you after I do some research...

Wait a minute... not in "this area", but there's a Rexall in Jacksboro that is real (or was a year or so ago).
    CheeseWit
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/16 21:41:00 (permalink)
    There aren't many left, but I did see a great one in Bar Harbor, Maine on my honeymoon in August. It's a Rexall on Main Street. I used to love going to drug store soda fountains. For that matter, I loved going to the Woolworth's luncheonette counters and ordering shakes and sundaes and banana splits.
    redtressed
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/16 22:40:28 (permalink)
    I know of one in Woodstock, Virginia between Winchester and Harrisonburg, located on Route 11 , downtown. The name escapes me though, but it was quite good.
    Shara
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/17 04:30:04 (permalink)
    I visited a teriffic one in Iowa City a few years ago, but I can't remember the name now--maybe someone else can. It had a tiny counter (seats for maybe eight at most) and serves sandwiches and fountain specialties. I had a Cherry Coke (mixed the old-fashioned way) there one time and a Dusty Road malted another. They offered stuff like Lime Rickeys and Black Cows, too. If I recall correctly, it has been operating since the 1930s.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/17 09:10:43 (permalink)
    Corner Confectionary in Highland Park NJ.

While not technically a drugstore, it does sport a genuine soda fountain. In fact, it is one of the original and oldest Ice Cream parlors with a continuously operating soda fountain in the state of New Jersey. Been around since 1924 and was fully restored in the early 80's
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/17 09:59:04 (permalink)
    The Yale Street Grill in the Houston Heights was a pharmacy in the Houston Heights since 1923. They too make their milkshakes with the old mixers, and you get your full glass with the rest in the metal container.

They have booths and counter stools as well as the long counter that sinks down behind in the work area, so that all of the staff look very short while working.

Here is a link with a description and some of the history:

http://www.heightspages.com/html/pg14.html

Best pattymelt in town!
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/17 10:24:17 (permalink)
    We still have one in the town where I live. It's old fashioned and neat, but I fear it will not last much longer. The pharmacy/drug store side is having a hard time competing with the big pharmacy chains and I don't think they make much money on the Soda Fountain part.

I guess its just another American Icon falling by the wayside !!!
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/17 12:30:08 (permalink)
    There used to be a neat place called Charlie's Diner on Main Street in Stroudsburg, PA that had great shakes. I wonder if it's still there...
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/17 13:43:18 (permalink)
    Highland Park Pharmacy at Knox and Travis in Dallas has a soda fountain. They are known for their pimento cheese sandwitches too.

My granddaddy once sold soda fountains; along with insurance, Real Estate, had a Rio car dealership... anything to get through the depression with 8 children.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2003/10/18 18:12:35 (permalink)
    I remember one in Chillicothe, Ohio. It hit the spot. Is it still there?
    tlbartle
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/02/21 11:59:47 (permalink)
    From the Walgreens web site...
    The milkshake that shook up America
    By 1920, now 20 stores strong and growing quickly, Walgreens was an established fixture on Chicago's retail scene. Throughout this decade, Walgreens underwent phenomenal growth. By 1929, the total number of Walgreens stores reached 525, including locations in New York City, Florida and other major markets. Many factors contributed to this unprecedented growth: a superb management team, modern merchandising, innovative store design, fair pricing, outstanding customer service and exceedingly high pharmacy quality and service. Yet, one can't overlook something that may have seemed a minor innovation at the time. This was the invention of Walgreens immortal malted milkshake, an instant classic, by Ivar "Pop" Coulson in 1922. Coulson was a lover of fountain creations and the backbone the Walgreens soda fountain since 1914. His chocolate malted milk was a development for the company that was anything but minor.

Coulson had always been eager to improve on whatever he and his fountain clerks had to offer, and he made generous use of Walgreens extra-rich ice cream, manufactured in Walgreen's own plant on East 40th Street in Chicago.

Until then, malted milk drinks were made by mixing milk, chocolate syrup and a spoonful of malt powder in a metal container, then pouring the mixture into a glass. On one especially hot summer day in 1922, Pop Coulson set off his revolution. To the basic mixture, he added a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream, then another.

Old Fashioned Chocolate Malted Milk
    1. Use a Frosted Malt Can
    2. 1 1/2 oz. Chocolate Syrup
    3. 3 - #16 Dips of Vanilla Ice Cream
    4. 5 1/2 oz. of Cold Milk
    5. Add Malt Powder (One Heaping Tablespoonful)
    6. Place On Mixer Only Until Mixed - Do Not Over Mix
    7. Use a Generous Portion of Whipped Topping In A #1808 - 10 oz. Glass
    8. Pour Malted Milk in Glass Approximately 2/3 Full
    9. Serve Remainder Of Malted In A Shaker Along With The Glass To The Guest With Straws and Package of Fountain Treat Cookies

Priced at 20 Cents,
    Coulson's new malted came with a glassine bag containing two complimentary vanilla cookies from the company bakery.

Response could not have been stronger if Coulson had found a cure for the common cold! His luscious creation was adopted by fountain managers in every Walgreens store. It was written about in newspapers and talked about in every city where there was a Walgreens. But most of all, it was the object of much adoration. It was not at all unusual to see long lines outside Walgreens stores and customers stand three and four deep at the fountain waiting for the new drink. Suddenly, "Meet me at Walgreens for a shake and a sandwich" became bywords as popular as "Meet me under the Marshall Fields clock" at State and Randolph in Chicago.

So, once again, Charles Walgreen's prediction that his soda fountain would be absolutely essential to his stores as a source of revenue, company growth and increased customer satisfaction (which translated into even higher levels of customer loyalty and patronage) came true. In its own way, Coulson's malted was the fuel for Walgreens dramatic growth.

Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/02/21 14:14:14 (permalink)
    I wish I grew up with drug store soda fountains, but that was a thing of the past by the time I came of age -- at least, that's the case where I grew up. I came across one in Nantucket this past summer, but it was such heavy tourist season that any quaintness or authenticity was lost on me: I could barely get in the place.

Came across this list, which might be of interest: http://www.prairiemoon.biz/sodfounneary.html

emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/03/26 11:39:30 (permalink)
    Oh, for the days of Drug Store Soda Fountains

We always ordered a Cherry Smash-which was a cherry flavored drink with carbonated water and something else added.

We also loved orange Aids, which were like lemonade but made with
    freshly squeezed oranges

Also, I remember getting Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream .

I had a lady that I worked with when I was a teenager and she would send me to the soda fountain to get her a Coke with ammonia for an
    upset stomach.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/03/26 11:57:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

I had a lady that I worked with when I was a teenager and she would send me to the soda fountain to get her a Coke with ammonia for an upset stomach.

I'll bet it worked, too! Coke with ammonia would certainly upset MY stomach!
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/03/26 12:08:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

I had a lady that I worked with when I was a teenager and she would send me to the soda fountain to get her a Coke with ammonia for an upset stomach.

I'll bet it worked, too! Coke with ammonia would certainly upset MY stomach!

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6747
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/03/26 12:10:36 (permalink)
    Edgar's in Elk Point, SD!!

www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=660
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/03/26 15:10:56 (permalink)
    Wise's Drug Store here in Gainesville, FL is super! Great burgers, and the best bowl of great northern beans I've ever had. They put boiled eggs in them, very weird, but good. It's right downtown close to the courthouse and every day you'll find more attorney's in there as opposed to the upper scale restaurants in the area. You can actually still get prescriptions filled and they have alot of antique apothocaries jars and other antiquish items to gander at until they call your number.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/03/26 15:39:28 (permalink)
    When I was a girl and we would stay the summer at my grandparents fishing camp on Lake Buchanan in Tow, TX, it was a big deal to get to go "to town" with my granny to shop for groceries at Pinkies grocery store. She would take us to the drugstore after where we always got tuna fish sandwiches. I thought they were exotic because they came on toasted bread and were cut diagonally . The most grown up thing was the olive stuck on the top of each half with a toothpick.

Those were the days. *sigh*
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/03/27 15:05:56 (permalink)
    There is a great old time soda fountain/ice cream parlor in the Strip District of Pittsburgh, PA named Klavon's.

Even more impressive is the fact is its history. It started as a pharmacy with a drug store counter in the 1920s, and was shuttered in the 1970s....there it sat for 20+ years, until family members reopened it. You think that you are walking into a time machine when you go inside the store. Nothing has changed for 80+ years.

They have great ice cream too!!! Check out their website at www.klavonsicecream.com for more family history, some great interior photos of their drug store counter, and a menu, featuring their ice cream specialties.

IF YOU PLAN ON GOING TO THE STRIP DISTRICT WHEN VISITING PITTSBURGH, PLEASE BE SURE TO PUT KLAVON's ON YOUR LIST. IT is a wonderful place to take children, big and small.

How did the Sterns miss it when they ate their way through the Strip??? Hmmmmm.....
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/03/27 20:43:06 (permalink)
    I grew up two blocks from a Woolworth's on the North Side of Chicago that had a lunch counter, but the counter closed in the late 70's and now of course, even the Woolworth's store itself is a memory.

I also have fond memories of ice cream sodas with my mom and brother at "Wag's" on Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago probably 25 years ago. It was an ice cream shop/lunch place attached to the Walgreen's store there. Does Wag's exist anywhere any more? Certainly it's no longer here in Chicago. Walgreen's is just a generic chain pharmacy now - back then it had more character thanks to the soda fountain.

There was also a place on Broadway in Chicago a few blocks from Wrigley Field called "The Roundup." It was an ice cream shop with an old Western theme, complete with player piano. Kids sometimes had their birthday parties there. It probably closed around 1980.

By the way, if anyone is an entrepreneur reading this site and wondering where to open an old-fashioned ice cream parlor or soda fountain, I recommend my town - Highland Park, IL
    fcbaldwin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/03/31 12:03:17 (permalink)
    In addition to the malted milk shakes and sodas, the drugstore soda fountains that I knew of here in central and southeastern VA also made lemonades and limeades, "from scratch", that you could have "plain" or "carbonated." You could really get your thirst quinched on a hot and humid summer day. AND, the stores were AIR CONDITIONED! A real bonus! Nowadays Bill's Barbecue is the only place that I know of where you can get the fresh squeezed limeades (still your choice of plain or carbonated).

Frank
    twodales
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/04/04 00:34:48 (permalink)
    The Museum of Science & Industry here in Chicago has a working soda fountain/ice cream parlor. It gives the kids a chance to see how it once was...
    jamdawg
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/05/22 10:32:36 (permalink)
    Back in my Home State of Ohio, there is a town called Granville (About 30 miles east of Columbus). It's one of those pretty little college towns (Denison University)and it has a drug store that STILL has a soda fountain. The name of the place is Taylor's Drugs. It's no longer in its original building, they moved down the street to a new brick building (made to look old) and believe me, they needed the room. They took the fountain equipment with them but now use a bigger counter.

This is a great little place for the Holidays. (In fact, you should see the town during the holidays, It's beautiful.)

I'm not sure if they ever did serve hot food, but at least you can still get ice cream & fountain cokes. (and I think, phosphates, too.) For good food, down the street to The Aladdin Restaurant. A little diner-hole in the wall place. (Good Breakfasts.) and you know you can trust the place because everything is cooked in front of you if you're at the counter. (They also have little booths.)
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/05/22 15:20:53 (permalink)
    ahhhhh yes,the Colonial pharmacy in Union,NJ(long gone) for a vanilla coke and some breyers ice cream,hand-dipped.....sit yourself down with a new comic book and life becomes wonderful. a chocolate malted was nothing to sneeze at either....those were magic days
    Rev.Bucky
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/05/22 21:02:38 (permalink)
    Well, I'm not claiming it's an exact one, but about thirty miles from here, in Grants Pass Oregon, they have a drugstore with a soda fountain where you can get a phosphate for a quarter, in a variety of flavors. Nothing like a cherry lime phosphate!
    kirklstruble1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/05/23 00:39:46 (permalink)
    The Lexington Candy Shop (83rd & Lexington) in NYC is a great soda fountain. Exellent shakes, egg creams,homemade lemonade and lime rickies. I agree with the previous post about Nantucket's soda fountain (Nantucket Pharmacy and Cogdon's), really nice, but always too crowded in tourist season (try September-October).
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3298
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/09/13 14:30:29 (permalink)
    In 1950, my dad had just graduated the U of I College of Pharmacy and purchased Castellano's Pharmacy located on the corner of Kedzie & Harrison on Chicago's west side. The pharmacy came with a full soda fountain: marble counter tops, lots of stainless steel, tin ceiling, and mirrored walls. From the time I was 5 years old, I spent every weekend with my dad working at his drug store as one of Chicago's youngest soda jerks serving the finest shakes, malts, sodas, sundaes, banana splits, aand phosphates. Today, a nearly identical soda fountain exists in Kenosha, WI. Andrea's is a unique fourth generation shop featuring Kenosha souvenirs, gifts, candy, an award winning cigar and tobacco shop and a historic soda fountain cafe.
    danfling
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 23
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/10/07 11:22:43 (permalink)
    There are two left here in Jackson, Mississippi.

I grew up in Terry where there were two drug stores. One of them had a great soda fountain and curbside service. However, when integration came, the druggist closed the soda fountain. Ice cream cones were still available, and I think that they were available at the other drug store.

I grew up going to Hemphill's Pharmacy in Jackson. However, the people who worked in there got very snooty and uncooperative to the customers and it closed.

There are now two drugstores with soda fountains: Parkin Pharmacy (owned by Winn-Dixie now) and Brent's.

I also used to go to Brents when I was growing up, but I preferred Hemphill's.

The people who work at Parkin's have now gotten very mean and grouchy. Therefore, I only go to Brent's now!

tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Drug Store Soda Fountains 2004/10/07 11:55:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Shara

I visited a teriffic one in Iowa City a few years ago, but I can't remember the name now--maybe someone else can. It had a tiny counter (seats for maybe eight at most) and serves sandwiches and fountain specialties. I had a Cherry Coke (mixed the old-fashioned way) there one time and a Dusty Road malted another. They offered stuff like Lime Rickeys and Black Cows, too. If I recall correctly, it has been operating since the 1930s.

Was it the Wilton Candy Kitchen in Wilton, Iowa? That is about 20 miles East of Iowa City. If not, please try to remember. I am going twice in the next few months.

Thanks.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1