Dry Aged Beef Cooler

Author
NMBullRdr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
2007/12/21 12:12:55 (permalink)

Dry Aged Beef Cooler

Where would one obtain a dry aged beef cooler?

10 Replies Related Threads

porkbeaks
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2216
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/21 12:41:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NMBullRdr

Where would one obtain a dry aged beef cooler?

All of the Google references I found mention a "custon designed" cooler. I did find this.

Be sure to follow each step carefully, for safety's sake.
    1. Only the top grades of beef can be dry aged successfully. Use USDA Prime or USDA Choice - Yield Grade 1 or 2 (the highest quality of Choice) only. These have a thick layer of fat on the outside to protect the meat from spoiling during the aging process.

2. Buy a whole rib-eye or loin strip. [You cannot age individual steaks.] Unwrap it, rinse it well with cold water, and allow it to drain; then pat it very dry with paper towels.

3. Wrap the meat in immaculately clean, large, plain white cotton dish towels and place it on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator - which is the coldest spot.

4. Change the towels each day, replacing the moisture-soiled towels with fresh. Continue to change towels as needed for 10 days, to 2 weeks. (See Step #7 for cleaning towels.)

5. After the desired aging time, you're ready to cut off steaks from each end, trim as desired, and allow the rest to continue to age in the refrigerator.

6. If, after 21 days, you have not eaten all the meat, cut the remaining piece into steaks, wrap each steak in freezer-proof, heavy-duty plastic wrap, and freeze. The steaks will keep for several months in the freezer.

7. To clean the towels for re-use, soak the soiled towels, immediately upon removing them from the meat, in cold water overnight. Next, soak them in cold, salted water for 2-3 hours to remove any blood stains. Then launder as usual.[In olden days, butchers used to cover sides of beef with cotton 'shrouds' during the aging process - this is essentially the same thing.]

http://tinyurl.com/ysorb2

http://tinyurl.com/2ku6jw
    markintoga
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/21 12:41:39 (permalink)
    How large a quantity are you aging at one time?
    Such as for home use, restaurant or market?
    NMBullRdr
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/21 12:47:11 (permalink)
    Home use, large extended family. I like the one outside of Gallagher's in the New York, New York in Las Vegas. Also like their steaks there also!
    markintoga
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/21 13:14:31 (permalink)
    As stated by a previous poster you can only use large cuts so you need at least a large clear space in your refrigerator which is the way to go without investing alot (ALOT) of money. If you are talking about having a stand alone system you may have to build it yourself to get the most economical solution (or have a friend in the refrigeration business.)
    I have not been to the Gallagers so I don't know what they have. MAny of the restaurants use se Que de Cheval in Montreal has a self built cooler with split refigeration system and insulated panel and glass sides with open wire rack for the meat to age on , if you check out their website you can see picture of it and the beef aging (I think it is under the butcher section.)
    You can also just get a large commercial style refrigerator but that would be expensive.
    Some of the upscale supermarkets or meat markets that age their own beef use commercail refrigeration/display cases. I know that Kysor Warren makes a case for this but again this is big bucks.

markintoga
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/21 13:52:39 (permalink)
    That last post has a mis-written sentence, sorry. It should say that Many restaurants that dry age their own beef use custom made cooler boxes. These may actually be less expensive than a commercial cooler or commercial display/refrigeration unit especially if you do know someone in the refrigeration business.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/21 15:51:13 (permalink)
    I remember seeing some discussion on aging beef here: http://forum.sausagemaking.org/ As for the Cooler, it's a custom built deal with temp and humidity being the key thing to control. (that you can build yourself)..

janifer
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/21 16:07:44 (permalink)
    On tonight's 8:00 PM EST episode of Good Eats Alton Brown will demonstrate aging a standing rib roast as part of his recipe for Dry-Aged Standing Rib Roast with Sage Jus

From the recipe on the Food Network's website:

Remove any plastic wrapping or butcher's paper from the roast. Place the standing rib roast upright onto a half sheet pan fitted with a rack. The rack is essential for drainage. Place dry towels loosely on top of the roast. This will help to draw moisture away from the meat. Place into a refrigerator at approximately 50 to 60 percent humidity and between 34 and 38 degrees F. You can measure both with a refrigerator thermometer. Change the towels daily for 3 days.
    NMBullRdr
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/21 16:18:00 (permalink)
    How would you get your fridge up to 50 to 60% humidity? I live in New Mexico, not much humidity here!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/22 15:31:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NMBullRdr

How would you get your fridge up to 50 to 60% humidity? I live in New Mexico, not much humidity here!

Induce moisture.. A timed mister or possibly a drip system on a cloth.
    brittneal
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1265
    RE: Dry Aged Beef Cooler 2007/12/22 17:57:54 (permalink)
    I worked at a place in Denver where each of the brothers owned a restaurant. Micheal Cook owned the Profle Room(Classical French-where I worked. Tony had the Scotch and Sirloin and Casey had Piccadly. The Piccadilly was a huge old place. In the basement they had 4 full size steel jacket kettles and 3 full sized walk-ins finished in wood. There were hooks already on the walls with chains and pulleys for handling whole sides of beef. As far as I knew there was no refrigeration anymore. they were used for dry storage. I only filled in there a few emergencies and never found the history of the place. It was so huge commercially that I wonder what it was like "in the day". I was there in the late 70's
    britt
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1