Dry ice blasting/Paint

Author
Revel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
2013/06/05 23:58:54 (permalink)

Dry ice blasting/Paint

Just curious what methods people have used to get their truck painted?

My truck is an old potato chip delivery van. The old logos are still on the truck, and the person I purchased the truck from just painted right over them with white house paint. The end result doesn't look too bad as long as you're about 100yards away, otherwise it looks pretty bad.

So far the best idea I've come up with is to get the old logos and paint blasted off (with dry ice) and then apply a good primer and paint. The plan would be to have a good paint job, but not a top auto body quality (spend approx. $800). Then I will apply large vinyl logos vs. a whole wrap (know a guy, and can get it for the cost of the material).

Has anyone used dry ice blasting to remove old logos and paint? Am I going overboard? Are my expectation unrealistic?

Thanks Joe

3 Replies Related Threads

mikejames533
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    Re:Dry ice blasting/Paint 2013/06/06 00:52:46 (permalink)
    Several years ago we had a bread truck with logos sand blasted. Taped off all the windows and trim before blasting. We then shot it with tractor paint. That paint is some tuff stuff, and it looked great...
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Dry ice blasting/Paint 2013/06/06 11:32:02 (permalink)
    I have a former mac tool truck with huge logo's all over I bought some 3M eraser wheels.(they use them to take off pinstripes)you hook into a drill and use the side of the wheel to take off the decals.Works great,just don't push to hard let the wheel do the work and the last for about 12 sq ft per wheel.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    Re:Dry ice blasting/Paint 2013/06/07 17:26:44 (permalink)
    Revel - With the costs approx for dry ice blasting and shell or sand blasting being close, the advantages for using the dry ice method out weighs the sand/shell.

With dry ice method you are not "blasting" or eating away into the metal the process actually breaks down the molecular bond the paint has with the metal instead of etching it out of the metal.

The clean up is easier and less mess

I would have the dry ice blasting done and then a good skim coat and a fresh paint job and voila looks like NEWWWWWWWWW

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1