Duck Club Sand. - Marie Laveau's - Charleston, SC

Author
YourPalWill
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2007/05/07 13:32:06 (permalink)

Duck Club Sand. - Marie Laveau's - Charleston, SC

On a recent trip to Charleston, I was a bit overcome by the outstanding but rich and oppulent dining scene of the historic tourist district and was looking for a lunch that was both tasty and spoke of local flavor.

Luckily for me, I ran across a chow-centric barista at a coffee shop across from the downtown Omni Hotel, who hearing of my plight, suugested that I lunch across the Ashley River at a small place in the residential Avondale neighborhood called Marie Laveau's.

For those who don't know the story of Marie Laveau, she was a 19th century woman, a creole of color, who was well known for the practice of vodoo and other practices of the occult in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Long after her death, locals reported seeing her in the quarter.

Her namesake restaurant, in an area with a substantial history of crole population itself is a colorful, funky place full of unusual art and interesting staff.

The sandwich that was recommended to me was the duck club: a fresh sub roll, slcied three times lengthwise, buttered, grilled, then layered with a smoky rich duck confit, cheddar cheese, lettuce tomato, crispy thick fried bacon and a touch of fatty garlic aioli.

Yowza. What a sandwich! You get a choice of seven sides including fries, an excellent mac and cheese or red beans and rice.

1 Reply Related Threads

tmiles
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1970
    RE: Duck Club Sand. - Marie Laveau's - Charleston, SC 2007/05/07 15:26:18 (permalink)
    With a review like that, they too, should name a sandwich after you....lol. Thanks for the post!!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1