Dumb chili story

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/02/05 18:44:51 (permalink)

Dumb chili story

For the past few weeks I've been using a crock pot for dinner. I've been making a lot of beef stew with a bit of red wine. Last night I tried something different: stew beef, onions, a big can of Italian tomatoes and some "tuscan herbs". It tasted fine, but for the leftovers I thought it could use some spicing up. I found a bag of Chimayo red chili at home and poured it in, then took it of lunch today.

It was delicious, but it somehow tasted familiar. After about an hour it dawned on me: Oh, it was now chili!!

7 Replies Related Threads

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Dumb chili story 2008/02/07 11:18:26 (permalink)
    Funnny NYNM but I just came to the chili section to start a new thread but you beat me to it. Somehow I missed this one. I was gonna say that it's been a kinda slow chili season here at Roadfood. Maybe it is because we have prety much nailed the whole subject of chili, and it's history, in the chili section here. If you read, and follow all the links, there is just not much left to say about chili. Ohhh, but wait! What about wild things you can do with leftovers that turned them into chili???

Let's not get bogged down with definitions here. If it has chiles, or chili powder in it, then like NYNM did, lets call it chili.

Ok, here is mine. I made a big batch of a dish kinda like Hoppin John with black eyed peas, rice, ham, okra, tomatoes, and jalapenos, for new years. It turned out pretty good. I had some left and froze it. The other nite I got it out and had a bowl. The next nite I started to have another bowl but hmmmm. I took a pound of ground beef, added some water, onions, and a pack of chili seasoning (no browning), and let it boil. Then I added my "Hoppin Papa" stuff discribed above. Wow, tasts good to me! I have had three bowls.
    Joe

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Dumb chili story 2008/02/07 11:52:26 (permalink)
    I was just looking at a baking site that I visit and came across a recipe that I thought would go great with either chili or "Q" for that matter.
    Italian cheddar cheese beer bread. I may make a chili this weekend and will definitely try this bread. Sounds like a very easy recipe and would compliment a bowl of chili well. Chow Jim
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Dumb chili story 2008/02/07 18:30:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Funnny NYNM but I just came to the chili section to start a new thread but you beat me to it. Somehow I missed this one. I was gonna say that it's been a kinda slow chili season here at Roadfood. Maybe it is because we have prety much nailed the whole subject of chili, and it's history, in the chili section here. If you read, and follow all the links, there is just not much left to say about chili. Ohhh, but wait! What about wild things you can do with leftovers that turned them into chili???

Let's not get bogged down with definitions here. If it has chiles, or chili powder in it, then like NYNM did, lets call it chili.

Ok, here is mine. I made a big batch of a dish kinda like Hoppin John with black eyed peas, rice, ham, okra, tomatoes, and jalapenos, for new years. It turned out pretty good. I had some left and froze it. The other nite I got it out and had a bowl. The next nite I started to have another bowl but hmmmm. I took a pound of ground beef, added some water, onions, and a pack of chili seasoning (no browning), and let it boil. Then I added my "Hoppin Papa" stuff discribed above. Wow, tasts good to me! I have had three bowls.
    Joe

Hey Joe thanks for the comments. I agree that chili may be eventually a limited topic. But ya neva know....
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Dumb chili story 2008/02/08 10:45:47 (permalink)
    NYNM, my "Ohhh but wait" ment that your leftovers chili idea opens up a whole new chili world! All we gotta do is think outside the pot.

Jim, beer, cheese, bread, chili, Italian cheese bread, sounds great to me! Let us know how it goes.
    Joe
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Dumb chili story 2008/02/15 18:36:16 (permalink)
    I was just reminded of another dumb chili story;

I had put a 3 lb. chuck roast, atop a bed of onions, on to cook in my low pressure pot. It will get fall apart tender in about 3 hours.

Then I was warned that about 20 members of my family were headed this way. This roast won't feed everyone! Hey, it's chili stew time! When the roast was done I chopped it up, browned a lb. of Jimmy Dean sausage in some garlic and bell peppers, and put the chopped up roast back in the pot. My grandson, who is my best chili helper, was already here. He said "it needs some corn". He loves corn in chili. I just started adding stuff. 2 cans of corn, 2 cans or carrots, Rotel and regular canned tomatoes, 6 corn tortillas (they melt), and 4 packs of cheep chili seasoning ( Hi-Top I think?? ). And... all the juice from all the cans went in.

My helper then asked "how will we know when to stop adding stuff?". My reply was "when we can't think of anything else to add or... when the pot gets full". It's a 22 qt. pot. Hey, there was still room left. Ok, extra garlic, cumin, pickled jalapeno juice, and some Cavender's Greek Seasoning. The onion from the roast all melted so... some chopped onion. Hmm, how bout a can of Austex tamales so in it went, unshelled of coarse. Ahh, Ranch dip mix, 2 packs (don't knock it till...).

My grandson loves Tony Chachere's More Spice seasoning so he suggested we add some of that. Still room so... another can of corn, carrots, and tomatos. Hey, the pot was full. And, I could think of nothing else to add. Beans? Nope! Not to this pot, it's full!

Saltine crackers, Fritos, cheese, whole and sliced pickled jalapenos were served on the side. The pot went empty but every one got fed, but it was close. Thank goodness some of the little kids wanted chicken ramen noodles!

One of my grandaughters was coming to visit a few weeks later and I asked her what she wanted to eat. She said "some of that chili like you made last time". I said "you will have to pick something else. I can't even remember what all I put in that pot of chili". Hmmm, I may have forgoten a few things to tell yall? Oh well, every pot has it's own soal!

I hope this dosen't give some of you chili purists to many nightmares.
    Joe

Whops, Ann reminded me in the Campbell's recipe thread. I added a can of tomato soup, or was it 2 ???.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6379
    RE: Dumb chili story 2008/02/16 17:15:18 (permalink)
    How timely. I'm making a Texas red chili for dinner tonight. I was thinking just stew but decided to dice the stew meat in little quarter inch chunks and go with a full blown chili recipe. This one might be a tad too hot for my wife the way it is turning out even though I reduced the number of jalapenos. Hopefully she can defuse the hot with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Dumb chili story 2008/02/16 17:30:46 (permalink)
    Davy, I have made things to hot for others more times than I can count. I love jalapenos! I am now down to serving pickled jalapenos, and the juice, on the side. It blends fast in a bowl of chili. I was surprised how well it flavored things the first time I tried it. I hope the cheese does the trick this time!
    Joe
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1