Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip

Author
gatorbreath
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
2006/06/11 09:05:41 (permalink)

Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip

A buddy and I were out cruising in his '63 Bel Air when we heard the Reds game on the radio. It was back in the day and that day they were playing a double-header. Crosley Field was then home of the Reds and sat right next to I-75. Truckers would blow their horns as they passed sometimes illicting comments from the commentators. Despite the fact it was 100 miles away we decided to head for Cincinnati, drive by the ballpark, blare the horn, and see if we could hear it on the radio. Plain dumb, but it was one way to kill a Sunday afternoon.
What's your tale?

gb

29 Replies Related Threads

Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 858
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 09:22:17 (permalink)
    Well, that is pretty dumb, in a good way!
    Some time back, I went from Decatur, GA to South of the Border, SC simply in order to pick up a couple of cases of Blenheim Ginger Ale, a fine elixir with limited distribution. Now, that sounds perfectly reasonable and normal in this board, but others give me weird looks when I tell them.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 10:01:44 (permalink)
    We once drove from Milwaukee to Skokie just to sample a Poochie's hot dog. Someone had told us was the best dog they'd ever had; it was good but certainly not the best. Of course gas probably was 29.9¢/gal. back then!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 10:14:16 (permalink)
    Back in the days of cheap gasoline, my GTO & I took many roadtrips. We needed no excuses. We passed everything except the gas station. My Firebird was even more of a gas hog. @ < 10 MPG, I only went to the grocery store with her.
    Those WERE the days, my friends! Long gone, now.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2293
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 10:39:47 (permalink)
    My GTO got about eight miles to the gallon. The factory-installed carburator was big enough to swallow a canteloupe. To top it off, it only had an 11 gallon tank. I couldn't go anywhere without stopping every hour at a gas station.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6317
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 10:40:44 (permalink)
    Lately I have been making an awful lot of detours and out of the way road trips just to eat a pork tenderloin sandwich. Kind of stupid in a way but I am going to need a hobby if I retire soon.

My strangest road trip was the day John F Kennedy was shot. I drove from Cincinnati to Indianapolis to Springfield, OH and back to Cincinnati that weekend just to touch base with people.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 11:20:05 (permalink)
    As long as you have the obligatory excuse it can't be dumb. Unless of course you end up in the Podunk Pokey" />! Even then you might be booked in time for chow. Just be sure to use your Road Power for goodand not for the purposes of evil!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 11:27:47 (permalink)
    I once drove from Green River Wyoming to Manila, Utah so I could mark Dagget County off my map of counties I had visited.
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 11:31:22 (permalink)
    Five or six friends and I make several pilgrimages per year to get the second best hot dog in the state from Mankin's in Holden Beach. If 5 people go we take 5 cars. Well, once somebody brought a spouse and they rode together.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13473
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 12:03:05 (permalink)
    I recently drove from Knoxville, TN to Door County for a fish boil. Does that count?

Not too long ago I drove from Knoxville, TN to Austin, TX with RickF to have BBQ with Bushie. Does that count?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Bob in Cary
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 12:09:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Not too long ago I drove from Knoxville, TN to Austin, TX with RickF to have BBQ with Bushie. Does that count?

Any trip that results in the consumption of Texas BBQ does not count as dumb, regardless of the length.
    buckeye1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/11 23:20:21 (permalink)
    When in college in Toledo, we used to fill up on sliders from Top Hat fairly frequently. Top Hat looked just like White Castle but in red and white instead of blue and white.

Sadly, after freshman year, the Top Hats in Toledo went out of business. Craving some sliders during exam week and other stressful times, my roommate and I used to trek an hour up to Ann Arbor to the nearest White Castle and order several sacks of sliders for the guys on our dorm floor. Fifteen years later, it's still one of our favorite road-trip memories.

Another time we were craving some deep-dish and just got on the Turnpike at about 3 pm, hit Chicago by 7, packed up some Geno's East, and were back at the dorm by midnight or so. Wish I had the time for spontaneous road-trips now...
    Big Dave
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 01:07:06 (permalink)
    Does driving to Cincinnati from Columbus to pick up an old TV count? The set was free and I got two others and a 10" round CRT. All it cost me was gas. If it helps, the set I was after is an RCA Victor color set from 1959.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 03:26:43 (permalink)
    Does food have to play in the picture for this thread?

BG,
    What I meant was does food have to be present for this topic?

I have a couple myself that doesnt involve food..
    gatorbreath
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 08:29:20 (permalink)
    Roossy, in the instance which iniated this thread I could not think of any food reference and so I posed it in the off topic, lighter fare area. I can recall earlier family trips to that same ballpark which included stops at a white castle like place in Greensburg, IN that sold 10 burgers for a dollar. Another trip to Cincinnati resulted in a blown-up thermos in the '58 Buick caused by heat infilltration through the rear window.
    I've been to few places. Yet every time I travel, something seems to happen. I was in Washington, D.C. on the day that Medgar Evers was buried in Arlington Memorial Cemetery and Kennedy was off to Germany stating, "Ich bin eine Berliner." Our first family camping trip to Versailles State Park resulted in my sister finding a rock shaped exactly like the state of Indiana, replete with a hole in the middle to represent Indianapolis. My first commercial plane flight resulted in a six-hour delay at the Memphis airport.
    I left my heart in San Francisco in '98 when an earthquake struck the city for the first time since the devastating shake of '89. This one's actually pretty good. As I was lying on the bed waiting to meet up with my companions, I was watching the local news hosted by a newscaster recently transferred from St. Louis (Dana King) doing a story about earthquake prediction following a devastating earthquake in Turkey. I reached over to grab something from the table next to the bed and then the bed kept moving. I looked up and the chandelier was moving. I looked at my watch, noted the time and sure enough a couple of minutes later they reported a quake had occured. Unpredicted.
    Then there was the time nothing seemed to happen. I was travelling with my boss and another co-worker. As we waited for the flight out I was going to mention to the boss that nothing had happend during the trip but there were a couple of people between us so I kept my tongue. We took off from Raleigh-Durham late afternoon. Approaching St. Louis, late evening, the pilot came on the intercom and said we would be making a low level fly-over past the tower so they could check out our landing gear. Seems we left several pounds of rubber on the tarmac at RD. We flew by, headed way out west, dumped some fuel, then landed amongst a sea of flashing red lights. As we sat on the runway my only statement was "how long does it take to kick the tires?" That was the night of the NCAA regionals, which is a 'hole nother story.

gb
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 12:46:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by gatorbreath

What's your tale?

gb

I drove from NY to Seattle once because I hated my job, and bringing a car out west was a damn fine reason for quitting. I picked up the car, told them I needed at least a week to get there, and put almost 7,000 miles on the car...hitting Yellowstone and then getting as far north as Jasper, Alberta. I dropped the car off at some house north of Seattle, put the keys thru the mail slot and was a pedestrian 3000 miles from home with no firm plan for getting back.

The best part was when my boss asked why I was quitting and I told him the truth...to which he replied that it wasn't a good career move. Oh well, it was a great trip.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 14:40:52 (permalink)
    Did we all have GTOs? Mine was a fairly standard ugly green w/ a TWO speed automatic. Would fly though. It died in a an effort to keep me from pushing up grass. Basically the oak tree won.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6613
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 14:48:46 (permalink)
    Driving from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay! Once you pass Fairbanks it's over 400 miles up on a gravel road. Day #2 on the gravel road I said to Zman, "you sure we want to do this?" "Hell yes! Now stop your sniveling." We drove 2000 miles to see the Arctic Ocean for 5 minutes.......cold, windy, ice, and it was July. Grab your little vial of water and let's get the flock outta here! We did have lunch at Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn on the way back, very Roadfoodish and very good.
    octopus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 16:29:26 (permalink)
    I used to drive from Albany to Detriot ocassionally to visit my sister on a saturday morning after working all friday night into saturday morning, stay at her house until monday morning then drive back home and go to work monday night, have about 12 hours of sleep between Friday and Tuesday morning, I probably did this about 4-5 times a year. for a couple of years, just because I had nothing else to do.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3709
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 16:46:49 (permalink)
    One of the funniest (and longest) Roadfood trips I ever took was from New York State to California. My dearest friend had moved to California and I missed her very much. She had left her crockpot at my house one evening before she moved. I decided that I had to return her crockpot to her and drove out to California, visited with her for a couple of days and then went up the coast to Vancouver, British Columbia and across Canada as far as Ottawa and then headed back home. It was a wonderful trip and we had lots at roadfood and I still laugh about her owning "the world's most expensive crockpot".
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13473
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 16:47:45 (permalink)
    I just rode my Honda Metropolitan to CVS Pharmacy and the liquor store for a total of four miles. Does that count? Goes sorta slow and top speed is 35 although I am not sure mine will do that with 190 pounds on it. Maybe downhill? It holds 1.3 gallons of gas and so far I have driven 130 miles on this tank and it still shows 1/3 tank? Go figure. It has an engine much smaller than my Honda lawnmower as it is only 50cc's How they make it go? I have no idea. Great local ride although it is no interstate traveler.

I will bet I have had dozens of folks ask me about it.

I bought it used with 94 miles on it. It is Tennessee orange and White. Never been in the rain and is perfect. List for about $1900 and I paid $1075.

http://powersports.honda.com/scooters/model.asp?ModelName=Metropolitan&ModelYear=2006&ModelId=CHF506&bhcp=1

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    V960
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 17:03:49 (permalink)
    Sundancer,
    I think folks in Knoxville would have their children delivered in Vol Orange if they could. Worse than the...whatever..in Clemson. ORANGE AND WHITE? I'll take it.

My other post went away. I was logged on...death to the post...and it was pretty good. Dad and his friend trying to to drive to England in a new Caddie to get a bottle of true English gin. Fifty feet into the Atlantic...Caddies don't float too well.
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 22:36:23 (permalink)
    Scene: Richmond, KY, spring of 1996.

A bunch of friends and I were sitting around bored one night. The conversation turned to barbecue. One opined that Arthur Bryant's was the best ever. Discussion ensued. It came up in conversation that no one had to be anywhere for the next couple of days. Finance checking revealed that everyone had some cash on them. Someone yelled "ROAD TRIP!

A little less than eleven hours later, we were parked in front of Arthur Bryant's waiting for them to open. They did. We feasted there, brought more home. Good times.

zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 22:52:22 (permalink)
    When I was 19 years old, I was talking long distance to my best friend one Thursday night when she mentioned that her mother was going to make her famous pork roast with sauteed apples, mashed potatoes, gravy and green beans that Saturday night. My boyfriend and I decided we needed to share that meal so that night we hopped in his car, drove from KC to Anaheim, CA and made it just in time for dinner on Saturday. My friend's mother was more than happy to set 2 more places at the table, she couldn't believe that anyone would drive 1700 miles and 34 hours for her pork roast. It was so worth it. I still remember that meal as one of the best I've had. We had some great food in Amarillo and Albuqueque on the way and great food in Kingman AZ and Oklahoma City on the way back.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/12 23:56:10 (permalink)
    You need an excuse for a roadtrip?
    Kaileen
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/15 21:46:55 (permalink)
    I never got to go on any weird trips. In college, the girls would make runs to White Castle. I went to college in Campbellsville, KY: the nearest Castle was Louisville. The reason I never went? I let them back in after curfew. Plus, they'd bring me back food for letting them back in. It was a good trade.

My husband talks about making runs from Jackson to the coast for Krispy Kreme when he was in college. Thankfully, the Jackson metro area has one now. It's not such a long trip for KK.

But the closest White Castle to me is Nashville!
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/16 08:13:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Driving from Anchorage to Prudhoe Bay! Once you pass Fairbanks it's over 400 miles up on a gravel road. Day #2 on the gravel road I said to Zman, "you sure we want to do this?" "Hell yes! Now stop your sniveling." We drove 2000 miles to see the Arctic Ocean for 5 minutes.......cold, windy, ice, and it was July. Grab your little vial of water and let's get the flock outta here! We did have lunch at Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn on the way back, very Roadfoodish and very good.

LChef, That's one of my dream trips! Fishing along the Dawson Highway!

But seriously, who needs an excuse for a road trip. You go because it's there.
    V960
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/16 14:13:40 (permalink)
    Bob in Cary,
    Try the dogs at The Trolley Stop in Wilmington. Only one I have visited is at Wrightsville Bch but they are great.

Interesting side note...The Trolley Stop is the old trolley station for Wrightsville Bch. A hurricaine destroyed the train tracks in about 1900.
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 1959
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/19 13:27:00 (permalink)
    a trip to a chain restaurant.......
    V960
    RE: Dumbest Excuse For a Roadtrip 2006/06/20 19:54:39 (permalink)
    Trolley Stop has two locatins...both in Wilmington. Ok a chain in the making but not yet IMHO.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1