Dumped my Verizon DSL...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:Dumped my Verizon DSL... 2013/03/11 17:22:02 (permalink)
love2bake

For those of you who have a satellite dish for TV, I keep hearing that they are unreliable in bad weather--that sometimes in storms they cut out.  Is this true or not?  I'm currently with Comcast for cable and Internet, but would love to give them less money and monopoly.  Is satellite reliable?

We've had Dish since the 90's and have always been satisfied with them. They don't jack your rates up all the time like the other guy and the service is great. We've got no plans to switch to anything else any time soon. The price is right, the service of great and the weather related outages are a rarity these days. It takes a big storm to knock the signal out. Rain and snow just don't do it these days.
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:Dumped my Verizon DSL... 2013/03/11 17:28:11 (permalink)
love2bake

Thanks to everyone for your input on satellite dish reliability!  It's true that our storms in No. California the past couple of years haven't been too bad, but prior to that, we had some major wind action that knocked out power, uprooted trees, etc., so could also be problematic for a dish.  Now that I think about it, there are quite a few trees around my house--not just in my yard but my neighbors', too--so might have a problem with reception here. 

Trees can be an issue, but I've got a forest behind my house and they still managed to find a signal. You can have a tech out when the trees are leafed out and they'll test for a signal.
love2bake
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1477
Re:Dumped my Verizon DSL... 2013/03/13 09:39:49 (permalink)
Thanks!  I think it's time for me to talk to some satellite people (no--not aliens--that would be AT&T).  I also want to be sure I can get all the Giants baseball games, as they're broadcast by Comcast.  Surely I can get them!
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 220
Re:Dumped my Verizon DSL... 2013/03/17 14:51:03 (permalink)
I recently switched from Verizon DSL (1.5M down/700k up) to Comcast (23M down/4M up). Easily worth the extra $20/mo.

One thing though. Around here at least, it's actually cheaper to also subscribe to basic cable. Basic cable runs like $15/mo. When bundled with Internet, the Internet is $20 CHEAPER per month. They don't advertise this though of course. I have Directv and basic cable run king to my tv's. Comcast has some of the "-2, -3" local channels Directv has.

I'm planning on cancelling Directv soon anyways. With a Roku box, you can have Netflix, Hulu, etc for $16/mo. And keep the basic cable for local channels. I'm big into home theater and electronics and it bugs me how we pay so much to watch maybe 5 or 10 channels. Everything is reality show junk now anyways.

I really recommend looking into Roku boxes or even a PC hooked up to the TV. You kind of have to change how you watch stuff, but to save at least $75 a month, it's definitely worth it for some.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3601
Re:Dumped my Verizon DSL... 2013/03/17 16:39:55 (permalink)
gostillerz
One thing though. Around here at least, it's actually cheaper to also subscribe to basic cable. Basic cable runs like $15/mo. When bundled with Internet, the Internet is $20 CHEAPER per month. They don't advertise this though of course. 

That's how I ended up getting TV. The cost has jumped a LOT since then, but I used to only use Comcast for internet. Then they were going to raise my internet cost by $15 per month because I didn't have any other service. At that time, for the basic (unadvertised) package I have now, it added $13 to the monthly bill, but it negated the $15 upcharge for having only internet. So for a bit there, probably six months, my bill actually went down two bucks a month. Now the TV portion is up to $22 per month with less channels than I had then.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1