Dumplings

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
2005/11/30 19:58:49 (permalink)

Dumplings

Ok.... scratch mix or the bisquit's from the can?...
Covered or not?..

I have done it both ways.. some say cover.. according to Tyler on food network,"dont peek!"...(kinda like rice)
and others say uncover for the first 20 minutes.. Hmmm. I am confused.......
Any thoughts on these 2 items?
Tara

58 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Dumplings 2005/11/30 20:38:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by roossy90

Ok.... scratch mix or the bisquit's from the can?...
    Covered or not?..

I have done it both ways.. some say cover.. according to Tyler on food network,"dont peek!"...(kinda like rice)
    and others say uncover for the first 20 minutes.. Hmmm. I am confused.......
    Any thoughts on these 2 items?
    Tara

Here's a vote for Bisquick. Ten minutes uncovered, followed by ten minutes covered. By the way, I like to make what I call confetti dumplings, adding some garlic granules, pepper, finely-chopped green onion and finely-diced roasted red pepper to the dumpling batter.
    linus
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 252
    RE: Dumplings 2005/11/30 23:19:43 (permalink)
    And, what time are you serving this, Mr.Hoffman?
    I grew up eating dumplings on top of chicken stew. We allways had them plain, but that sounds wonderful.
    that and a side of cat's head biscuits makes it a meal.
    Jennifer_4
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1508
    RE: Dumplings 2005/11/30 23:57:17 (permalink)
    I use my mother's way with Bisquick.. they are like fluffy biscuits.. now I've seen in some parts of the country where their dumplings look like large square noodles.. anyone know where that is the case?
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Dumplings 2005/12/01 06:16:55 (permalink)
    From scratch. A little flour, a little baking powder, some milk, a touch of salt, and some chopped parsley. First uncovered and then covered.
    Come on, how hard is it? You can have the dry ingredents mixed by the time you get the Bisquick box open.
    MamaPoo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Dumplings 2005/12/01 09:03:34 (permalink)
    The noodle type dumplings are from the South .That is the only kind we make here in SE Georgia. You can make them sort of like home made egg noodles [ no egg ]. Roll them very thin & let them dry a bit before adding them to the broth. Or Miracle of Miracles , you can buy frozen ones at any grocery that are just as good as home made! [ except for my Mama's ]
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13473
    RE: Dumplings 2005/12/01 10:26:27 (permalink)
    Mamaw Smith is makeing chicken and dumplings today. We bought a younger frying bird instead of a older stewing hen. She will flat roll the biscuit dough and of course use onions. It is now 10:25AM. it should be ready for consumption by later this afternoon.

I am looking forward to this warm comfort food.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Dumplings 2005/12/01 14:31:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I use my mother's way with Bisquick.. they are like fluffy biscuits.. now I've seen in some parts of the country where their dumplings look like large square noodles.. anyone know where that is the case?

I have only seen that in canned "chicken and dumplings".. too me, that wasnt dumnplings at all.....
    Tara
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Dumplings 2005/12/01 14:34:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MamaPoo

The noodle type dumplings are from the South .That is the only kind we make here in SE Georgia. You can make them sort of like home made egg noodles [ no egg ]. Roll them very thin & let them dry a bit before adding them to the broth. Or Miracle of Miracles , you can buy frozen ones at any grocery that are just as good as home made! [ except for my Mama's ]

What part of the south is that?.. My dad's family is from Virginia, and it was only scratch for everything, and my mom's from Texas and she always made scratch flour dumplings....
    Of course, when I travel thru the "south", I usually strive to find BBQ, and not something heavy, so I dont even consider chicken and dumplings as a food to drive on....
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13473
    RE: Dumplings 2005/12/01 16:19:07 (permalink)
    Mamaw Smith just delivered her chicken and dumplings that she made today. Sick wife sure did appreciate it and so did I. Mamaw rolled her dumplings flat, added onions and some other spices and deboned the chicken.

Best comfort food I have had in a long time. It will be good for munching on for at least the next 24 hours.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Salustra
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 510
    RE: Dumplings 2005/12/01 17:15:58 (permalink)
    quote:

... now I've seen in some parts of the country where their dumplings look like large square noodles.. anyone know where that is the case?

With my mother-in-law doing it that way, I assumed it was an Chicago/Italian thing.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Dumplings 2005/12/01 17:29:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Mamaw Smith just delivered her chicken and dumplings that she made today. Sick wife sure did appreciate it and so did I. Mamaw rolled her dumplings flat, added onions and some other spices and deboned the chicken.

Best comfort food I have had in a long time. It will be good for munching on for at least the next 24 hours.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Oh boy, Now since I started it, I have to make some also!
    Hope your wife is feeling better....
    Tara
    topaz
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/15 16:14:28 (permalink)
    quote:

The ones with square-shaped noodles are popular with the Pennsylvania Dutch. Variations can be found across the country, but are especially popular in the midwest and south. The Pennsylvania Dutch dish is called chicken bot boi or pot pie, but isn't like the usual pot pie that is served in a pie crust. The Pennsylvania Dutch dish is more like a stew, and it has tender chicken pieces in a thickened sauce, and its only "crust" is in the form of large, semi-thick noodles. I've also heard this dish referred to as "slippery pot pie," and some places in the south call the dumpling noodles "slick" dumplings.

Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/15 16:44:24 (permalink)
    I've used bisquick, I've made em' from scratch. I think the results are very similar. Some times I drop em', some times I roll em'. If I want or plan to have leftovers, I roll em' out and cut em' at an angle. They're prettier that way. 10 off, 10 on rule applies.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/15 16:46:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

I've used bisquick, I've made em' from scratch. I think the results are very similar. Some times I drop em', some times I roll em'. If I want or plan to have leftovers, I roll em' out and cut em' at an angle. They're prettier that way. 10 off, 10 on rule applies.

Also, I might add(IMO), the frozen dumplings (Mrs. B's I think), I thought were horrid, and I've never tried the bisquit method. Now I have cooked up a pot of pintos, added some smoked sausage and pinched off some bisquits in that!
    Pogo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/17 22:55:58 (permalink)
    I'm a Southern boy. Grew up eating and loving what my family called "slickers", as in, Chicken n' Slickers.

Some of the Womenfolk in the extended family make their dumplings light, with a cakelike texture. Some make theirs thin and leathery (well, leathery sounds unappetizing..... lets call it chewy).

I prefer the "chewy" ones. Take plain flour, little tiny bit of baking soda, salt, and add the broth from the dish to the flour mixture instead of milk, etc.. Roll out till paper thin and cut into strips 1 inch wide X 2inches long. Bring the broth to a boil and drop in the dumplings, let em sit and idle for a minute and then reduce the heat to keep them from breaking apart. Cook until they float and they are ready. Cover the pot..... Dont cover the pot.... Whatever floats your boat.

Mind you now, you need an old fat sitting hen to stew so you get that thick,rich, fatty, flavorful broth that is so important. Another local favorite is Squirrel and Dumplings,,,, and rabbit and dumplings. both are much more flavorful than the chicken. It is also traditional to add a pinch of thyme to the broth and mix in coarse black pepper into the dough.

Some heathen ladies actually used cornmeal to make dumplings! HERESY!
    MandalayVA
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/18 00:33:49 (permalink)
    Although she was born in New Jersey, my mother grew up in Florida in the forties and fifties when it was still the deep south. Her dumplings were the noodle type--just flour, water, salt and a LOT of pepper, rolled thin, sliced in wide long strips. I remember being horrified as a child when I ordered chicken and dumplings in a restaurant (in northern Florida, oh, the irony) and it came out with the biscuit-style dumplings. I haven't made chicken and dumplings in a long time ... hmm ...
    corabeth
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/19 16:46:07 (permalink)
    I always use Bisquick. Just drop by spoonfuls in homemade broth and shredded chicken. I've also made them from scratch and I don't see much differece between homemade and Bisquick. I think it is more important to make your own broth. I buy a 2 whole chickens, cut them up, roast the legs,thighs, breasts(with skin on,salt and pepper). Then take the meat off the bone,set aside and make your own chicken broth with the back,wings,and bones from the roasted chicken pieces.
    After you have made your broth, add in the shredded chicken. I use this same method for chicken and noodles. I think the chicken tastes so much better roasted rather than poached in water.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/31 11:18:52 (permalink)
    Fixed chicken and dumplings the other night. I pan fry 2 couple chicken breast (only because I don't like to boil my chicken), then salt and pepper them. I take 2 cans of cream of chicken soup and add 2 cans of water (or more if you like it soupy) and let it come to a boil, I then add these frozen dumplings I buy (which are long and flat) and add my chicken and dumplings to the broth. Cover and simmer for about 20-30 minutes (do not stir). My family loves them this way. My mother always stewed her chicken and made homemade dumplings. I also like to take a big pane of great northern beans with lots of soup, and drop in Bisquick dumplings and let them simmer and get fluffy, add salt and pepper (yummy).
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1081
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/31 11:30:28 (permalink)
    I have had the flat ones at a couple of Carolina BBQ places and they both referred to it as pastry. I loved it the first time but the second time it was full of little bones ot the point that it couldn't even be eaten.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/31 11:54:34 (permalink)
    I use a tablespoon of milk for every egg and a pinch of salt, I then just add flour until it reaches the correct consistency. I like mine fairly “heavy”. Use two spoons to plump them into the boiling water, uncovered, didn’t know that was an issue. I actually make mine quite large and boil them in a separate pot. I do it this way as I don’t like all of the little extra pieces and parts of dumplings floating around my soup. After they cool a bit a cut them to a more edible size and throw them in my soup.

I also make these and smother them with onions fried in butter with a bit of salt and pepper. This is a great side for sausages with a bit of stone ground mustard for dipping. Now I've made myself hungry...
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/31 14:04:30 (permalink)
    The only dumplings we ever ate was my Grandmother's Bavarian dumplings. I've slightly modified a recipe from allrecipes.com
    You put 8 hard rolls in a paper bag on the back stoop or hallway.
    When dried out, cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 cup milk
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 pinch ground black pepper
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
    Place the cubes into a large bowl. Heat the milk until it starts to bubble at the edges, then pour it over the cubes. Stir briefly to coat the pieces. Let soak for 15 minutes.
    Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions; cook and stir until tender. Stir in the parsley, and remove from the heat. Mix into the bowl with the bread along with the eggs, salt and pepper. Use your hands, squeezing the dough through your fingers until it is smooth and sticky.
    Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. The water should be at least 3 or 4 inches deep. When the water is boiling, make a test dumpling about the size of a small orange or tangerine, by patting and cupping between wet hands. Gently drop into the boiling water. If it falls apart, the dough is too wet. In this case, stir some bread crumbs into the rest of the dumpling batter.
    Form the remaining dough into large dumplings, and carefully drop into the boiling water. Simmer for 20 minutes, then remove to a serving plate with a large slotted spoon. Top with a rich brown gravy. My father loved leftover dumplings fried the next day, sliced and in butter.

The German name for these is semmelknoedel.
    Poopy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Dumplings 2006/03/31 15:13:33 (permalink)
    We never rolled out dumplings. In my family those were called noodles. We had homemade noodles too, but they were not fluffy. Dropped dumplings are light and fluffy. Sometimes instead of chicken n' dumplings we would have meatballs n' dumplings, but I didn't like those as much.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Dumplings 2006/05/02 22:28:01 (permalink)
    Floaters or sinkers? That is the question! I myself prefer those of the floating variety. I use a simple buttermilk bicuit recipe and instead of cutting fat into my flour I use the butterflake buttermilk. I add a little garlic and onion powder and maybe a little parsley or chive(sometimes a little parmesian cheese). Less liquid more float. I like the "just fork droppin'in" method of dumpling delivery. By the time I get the last one in I can start flipping a bunch over and then put the lid on till I can't stand it any more.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: Dumplings 2006/09/12 13:36:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by topaz

quote:

The ones with square-shaped noodles are popular with the Pennsylvania Dutch. Variations can be found across the country, but are especially popular in the midwest and south. The Pennsylvania Dutch dish is called chicken bot boi or pot pie, but isn't like the usual pot pie that is served in a pie crust. The Pennsylvania Dutch dish is more like a stew, and it has tender chicken pieces in a thickened sauce, and its only "crust" is in the form of large, semi-thick noodles. I've also heard this dish referred to as "slippery pot pie," and some places in the south call the dumpling noodles "slick" dumplings.

My Nan, was a good percentage Pa. Dutch, and made Pot Pie at least once ever two weeks. Sometimes she used chicken, sometimes an old piece of stewing beef, and sometimes Oxtails....now the oxtails were the best...but I digress!

She used a combination of Bisquick and all purpose flour, an egg or sometimes two, depending on how chewy she wanted the Pot Pie to be. I think a little milk, and a good pinch of salt. The little bit of excess flour left on the Pot Pie after being rolled out helped to thicken everything up nicely.

Then just roll them out thin and cut 'em to the size you want and add to the broth...cook 'em till there're done.

There were always big chunks of potato's and carrots in the "stew", drizzzle a little cider vinegar over a plate full and dig in.

Farfromhome
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Dumplings 2006/09/12 13:51:47 (permalink)
    I think my family chicken and dumpling recipe is unique, because I've never heard of anyone else making the dumplings the way we do. Basically boil the chicken in water, with celery and onion added along with lowry's seasoning salt and pepper. When the chicken is falling off the bone tender, remove from the broth and let it cool so you can debone it later.

While the chicken is cooking, set out 2 sticks of butter to soften. Then add 4 eggs, about 4 cups flour alternating eggs and flour, and enough milk to hold it together and make it kind of wet still. Pat out the dough on a floured cutting board till its about a 8th of a inch thick, cut in strips, drop in the boiling broth and cook for about 15 minutes with the lid off. Then add chicken, and flour and water to thicken the broth if needed and serve.

Theres no baking powder, salt etc added to the dumplings. They are dense, heavy and to me anyway very good but that may be because thats what I grew up thinking chicken and dumplings were supposed to be like. I don't know if this is a regional way to prepare them (I grew up in Southeast Texas) but its how my mother, my grandmother and my greatgrandmother all prepared them. Has anyone else ever heard of dumplings made with no leaveners in them or was my family just wierd?
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    RE: Dumplings 2006/09/12 14:06:54 (permalink)
    Far from home, that recipe is for DELICIOUS very old fashioned homemade egg noodles, I wish I had the time to make.
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 415
    RE: Dumplings 2006/09/12 22:39:26 (permalink)
    We always had dumplings in our soup beans.
    Ginger9909
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Dumplings 2006/09/18 17:16:50 (permalink)
    Im not crazy about the bisquick type of dumplings but absolutely love the pot pie square type noodles which you can find in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. It is a very thick noodle and takes about 1 hour for them to become soft.
    Ginger9909
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Dumplings 2006/09/18 17:21:56 (permalink)
    Farfromhome,
    \No I dont think you are crazy as I actually prefer a heavy consistency (not doughy like a bisquick dumping. I used to love the Campbells Chicken & dumpling soup since it had the heavier little dumplings which would sink to the bottom of the bowl. I will definitely have to try your recipe.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1