Author
tiramisu1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2005/06/14 23:14:57 (permalink)

Dungeness or Blue Crabs???

Let the fight begin!!!

for me:

Dungeness: larger(more meat) easier to open, has flaky meat(seems to be delicate and crumble)

Blue: smaller, time consuming to open, sweeter meat than Dungeness

My verdict: When on the East Coast, eat fresh blue crabs, and when on the West coast eat fresh dungeness. But if given the two both prepared and cracked with some butter I'll take the blue crab, simply because of a sweeter more delicate taste.

70 Replies Related Threads

signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1744
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 00:50:14 (permalink)
    There's no fight. Blue wins every time. But what about Stone Crabs?
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 01:54:10 (permalink)
    I don't like Stone Crabs because they remind me of that place in Miami -- where they make you wait, even if the place is half full.

Beyond that. Dungeness.

Quick, alternative: the refrigerated, canned crab at Trader Joe's.
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 10:02:13 (permalink)
    For me Steamed Maryland Blue Crabs are the best I order them ny the 1/2 bushel already seasoned and steamed from Lintons http://www.lintonsseafood.safeshopper.com/ they are outstanding.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18937
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 10:59:09 (permalink)
    Blue crab! Not that there's anything wrong with Dungeness, but I don't think it compares to blue crab. Stone crab is good. It's hard to find here in the midwest. I first had it about 170 years ago at Joe's Stone Crab on Miami Beach. I sometimes wonder whether it's the stone crab that's good or the mustard-based sauce.
    sizz
    • Total Posts : 1688
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 11:10:21 (permalink)
    Well, for starters the Dungeness crab is prettier then the blue. ................. lol
    Below is a pic of the Dungeness crab I cooked up in my back yard for our Christmas Eve dinner............each one weighs in at over two and a half pounds each.
    You would probably need 2 bushels of blues to equal the amount of sweet beautiful meat of the Dungeness crab pictured here.
    Blues make very good crab cakes after being doctored up with spice and bread crumbs I will grant you that but that's about all. They are just not worth the trouble or time to pick through their tiny bodies to get a measly table spoon of meat.
    Comparing Dungeness Crab to a blue crab is like comparing a beautiful Maine lobster to a crawdad........... no comparison, sorry, a blue isn't even in the same league you cant compare a beautiful crustacean from the crystal clean deep cold waters of the magnificent Pacific Ocean to a little side stepping warm mud flat dwelling creature.

It's a apples to oranges kind of thing ................ Frank
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 11:12:54 (permalink)
    Dungeness. I think they taste better.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 11:16:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiramisu1

Let the fight begin!!!

for me:

Dungeness: larger(more meat) easier to open, has flaky meat(seems to be delicate and crumble)

My verdict: When on the East Coast, eat fresh blue crabs, and when on the West coast eat fresh dungeness. But if given the two both prepared and cracked with some butter I'll take the blue crab, simply because of a sweeter more delicate taste.

No fight here because I totally agree with your assessment.

Almost time for a trek to Lombardi's in Ocean City, MD. Their linguini with crabmeat in a lightly seasoned red sauce is one of the perennial delights of summer, which is the only time it's on their menu.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 863
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 18:31:22 (permalink)
    quote:

Let the fight begin!!!

for me:

Right with you on the verdict (I should always have such choices!) I'm predisposed toward blues, having been a young kid from Kansas getting acquainted with them visiting relatives on the Virginia coast where we caught them off the dock across the street, and more recently spending entire days with friends scooping them up at Edisto Beach.

But I have to say I really liked the Dungies at Carine's in Noyo Harbor, California. It helped that it was all picked-out and served on a green salad.

So, I'll take what I'm closest to - especially if it's already pulled (I kind of stink at it).
    Tommy2dogs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 18:53:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Vince Macek

quote:

Let the fight begin!!!

for me:

Right with you on the verdict (I should always have such choices!) I'm predisposed toward blues, having been a young kid from Kansas getting acquainted with them visiting relatives on the Virginia coast where we caught them off the dock across the street, and more recently spending entire days with friends scooping them up at Edisto Beach.

But I have to say I really liked the Dungies at Carine's in Noyo Harbor, California. It helped that it was all picked-out and served on a green salad.

So, I'll take what I'm closest to - especially if it's already pulled (I kind of stink at it).

Not to be "picky" but I beleive you mean picked not pulled. Sorry
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/15 19:36:26 (permalink)
    Half the fun is sitting at a picnic table wrestling with those Blues! What's the hurry? I like the left coast variety and the Stones as well. When in Rome? Give me the blues any day, and throw in a couple dozen oysters.
    johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/16 03:00:07 (permalink)
    Steamed jumbo blue crabs seasoned with Old Bay = heaven

My vote goes to the blue crab: they just taste a wee bit better
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/16 08:21:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

quote:

Let the fight begin!!!

Thanks for the correct term. It's okay to be picky, as long as you're not pulling anything.

I love crab wrestling, but for recipes I do have to go to bulk meat. I had a bad experience trying to make crab fritters as shown in Alton Brown's "Good Eats" - mixing 2 cups crab, 1/2 cup mayo, juice of 1/2 lemon, coating 1-oz scoops in panko bead crumbs. These get dropped in 375-degree canola oil...when I did, the ball promptly dissolved (I stopped at one and turned to pan-frying). I follow new recipes to the letter, and this show's instructions tend to be pretty solid. Don't know what went kablooey.

Anyone have any success with this kind of thing? If done right, it looks like a great filler-free experience.
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/16 08:35:16 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

quote:

Let the fight begin!!!

Thanks for the correct term. It's okay to be picky, as long as you're not pulling anything.

I love crab wrestling, but for recipes I do have to go to bulk meat. I had a bad experience trying to make crab fritters as shown in Alton Brown's "Good Eats" - mixing 2 cups crab, 1/2 cup mayo, juice of 1/2 lemon, coating 1-oz scoops in panko bead crumbs. These get dropped in 375-degree canola oil...when I did, the ball promptly dissolved (I stopped at one and turned to pan-frying). I follow new recipes to the letter, and this show's instructions tend to be pretty solid. Don't know what went kablooey.

Anyone have any success with this kind of thing? If done right, it looks like a great filler-free experience.

My advice is to make them, put them on a tray or platter and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours prior to frying. I always make my crabcakes/balls first thing in am and chill them all day. They never fall apart. Hope this works for you.
    rbpalmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 469
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/16 10:08:57 (permalink)
    Blue all the way.
    mek
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/16 10:28:49 (permalink)
    Had them both- I have to go with blue.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/16 14:05:18 (permalink)
    I enjoy all kinds of crab, particularly King crab and stone crab.
    I tried Dungeness for the first time about a month ago. It was cooked
    and frozen for 4.99lb.
    Damn was that good. The meat was sweet and tasty, both dipped in hot
    butter or without. Loved the large chunks of beautiful white meat.
    Blue crabs are so much work, after malloting them, cracking them, having
    shell flying all over the restaurant, I usually work up an appetite to do
    some real eating. All I usually get for all that work is a thimble full of
    crab every five minutes.
    My vote goes to Dungeness.
    Vince Macek
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/06/18 20:08:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:

My advice is to make them, put them on a tray or platter and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours prior to frying. I always make my crabcakes/balls first thing in am and chill them all day. They never fall apart. Hope this works for you.

YES! Success!!! Thanks so much, chezkatie - who knew the secret ingredient would be cold? I just now fried up a little bunch and promptly finished 'em up - a lovely zen simplicity to them, but they'd be fine with an extra ingredient or two (thinking finely chopped scallions, maybe some seasoning).

I must confess, I used crabmeat from Venezuela, which was nearly half the price of its domestic counterpart - still had cold feet from my last adventure and went cheap. Perfectly fine stuff, but I'll go local next run. Any idea what kind of crab they got down there?
    lobster
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/07/29 19:42:00 (permalink)
    I have only had boiled blue crabs three or four times back east years ago, and have had soft shell blue crab many times also. Living in Oregon now, I look foreword to commercial crab season every year in the fall and winter. During the peak on a good year I can buy fresh cooked dungeness crab for $2.99 lb. I have trouble walking buy the fish counter and not buying some when they look good. However, I love to go to the coast and go crabbing the best because it does not get any fresher, messy, or any more fun. I vote for dungeness only because I am still hungry after lots of cracking and picking with blues. With the dungeness one crab yields lots of meat. It might not be sweeter than blue crab, as I have not had any blue crab for a long time, but it is sweet, especially when it comes out of the pot and is still warm. The longer the crabs are kept after steaming the less sweet they are. When buying cooked dungeness in the store always make sure they are real fresh and ask them if they are good and hard so that they are stuffed with meat. Look for the ones with barnacles, they are the hardest. Now I need to plan a trip the coast this fall so that I can go crabbing and clamming. One last note; Lobster always is better than all of them!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/08/11 10:02:23 (permalink)
    I was raised eating blues but I wont turn down king legs or the claws of the ones from so.florida, or stones or any other crustacean for that matter. Blues will always be numero uno to me although lately I have gotten an affinity for crawfish.........
    mudbug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2005/08/11 10:55:12 (permalink)
    So-you put a pile of stone crab meat,Dungeness meat and jumbo lump in front of me.After carefully tasting the trio,this is what I'd do:I'd ask for a second tasting of all three.That is to say, in my book, those crabs represent three of the very best things you can put in your mouth.Truthfully,whatever crab I'm eating at the time is the best.Cop-out -but true.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2006/06/21 22:29:55 (permalink)
    I grew up in Maryland and lived there for over three decades, so for me the answer is obvious and requires no thought at all. Blue crab meat is so much better than the Dungeness crabmeat I've tasted (and I've tasted lots of Dungeness in expensive, highly regarded seafood restaurants in Seattle and San Francisco). I just don't like Dungeness crab and won't eat it. I adore blue crab, though, and crave it constantly here in Phoenix.

The best place for getting blue crabs, softshells, etc. is on the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast. I was in absolute heaven when I lived there - there are numerous places to buy live crabs and I found one that sells huge live #1 jimmies for $14/dozen.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2006/06/21 23:08:03 (permalink)
    Having spent a lot of time on the Pamlico and Core Sound pulling big ol jimmies from my crab trap and eating them steamed on warm breezy summer evenings with vinegar, butter, etc., I have avoided this topic for a couple years now.
    Since I've spent some time on the N. Pacific coast and had the opportunity to feast on really fresh Dungies I have to say that they are in fact superior to the Atlantic blues. Now, that's like saying a Maine lobster is better than a FL rock lobster. They're both exquisite delicacies.
    Perhaps some of the east coasters are comparing fresh blues to frozen dungeness.

#1 jimmies for $14/doz?!?! 15 yrs ago?
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2006/06/22 15:44:44 (permalink)
    Crabs--blue better taste, Dungeness more per time spent
    Crustaceans--give me crawfish over lobster, when cooked right in Louisiana.
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2006/06/22 17:43:57 (permalink)
    I've never had the opportunity to have Blue Crab. I cooked some wonderful Dungeoness crab for father's day though.

Is soft shell crab just a soft-shelled variety of the former or is it a species on it's own? Forgive me as I live 2,000km from the nearest ocean.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2006/06/22 17:58:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by WVHillbilly#1 jimmies for $14/doz?!?! 15 yrs ago?
    Nope. In fact, I'm going back there this weekend and will be buying and steaming a couple dozen! Don't believe me? Just call Bridge City Bait in Bridge City, TX at (409) 886-1115.
    roadrash
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2006/06/22 18:01:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by salsailsa

I've never had the opportunity to have Blue Crab. I cooked some wonderful Dungeoness crab for father's day though.

Is soft shell crab just a soft-shelled variety of the former or is it a species on it's own? Forgive me as I live 2,000km from the nearest ocean.
    Soft shell crabs are the same as blue crabs. They are caught in the "peeler" stage just before the shell is sloughed. After the shell is sloughed, they are soft crabs and have to be taken out of the water or the shell will harden.
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2006/06/22 20:20:37 (permalink)
    Stone crabs. . . Do you know that those stone crab claws are pulled from the bodies of live crabs and the crab is thrown back with only one claw? Hopefully the crab will grow a new claw if it doesn't die. I've caught many stone crabs with both claws and only one claw. I throw them all back as you can't keep a whole one and I can't bring myself to tear off a claw and throw them back. . . I know, they're just big insects, but I don't rip the wings off flies either.
    salsailsa
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 405
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2006/06/22 22:34:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Roadrash- that was what I suspected given their size, but wasn't certain.
    Seriousfoody
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Dungeness or Blue Crabs??? 2006/06/23 12:11:54 (permalink)
    Well, all this talk about crab made my mouth water. Just finished a blue crab roll with key lime spicy sauce. Boy did that hit the spot. I would vote for king crab first (although its not the subject of this thread) blue crab second and dungeness third. But then again how can you go wrong with crab. Once in a while we can get dungeness crab for $4.99 lb which is really good considering how much meat you get. Stone crab is tasty also, but to me, it's better cold with the mustard sauce that Joe's Stone Crab serves.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1