Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ

Author
pax
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
2008/07/11 22:15:43 (permalink)

Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ

In Virginia, when I order cappuchino with half and half, that's what I get.

The last two days in NY I ordered cappucinos with half and half, and the clerks looked at me like I was insane. I ended up with what they called "cream". What was I drinking?

And what do I have to say to them to get them to actually toast the bagel? Is there some term?

I'm adjusting, it's like shell shock being up Nawth.

11 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10210
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/07/11 22:50:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pax

The last two days in NY I ordered cappucinos with half and half, and the clerks looked at me like I was insane. I ended up with what they called "cream". What was I drinking?

And what do I have to say to them to get them to actually toast the bagel? Is there some term?

Up "Nawth" they say,"I want a coffee, Regular". Ask a New Yorker what that means. I'm guessing the girl didn't know the term, "1/2 & 1/2". Too many syllables. That''s "Cream" for short.

Regarding Bagels, just say " Bagel Toasted with a Schmear" if you want Cream Cheese on it, Or "Bagel Toasted Buttered" Or "Bagel Toasted, Plain".

If you want to really want to acclimate, order "Egg on a Roll", or "Egg on a Roll, Taylor Ham". Tell them how you want your egg cooked. The traditional method is "Fried, over, break the yolk". Now you know everything there is to know about ordering breakfast in NYC!
    Bigapetite
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/07/11 23:05:28 (permalink)
    My biggest problem with Dunkin Donuts is that it seems in many locations English seems to be a foreign language.

I've found that my very simple order of Coffee light with half and half and NO sugar seems to post a challange.
    If one of 5 times my order is right, I'm happy
    I've no got ino the habit of looking and tasting before I leave the drive up window.

Fortunately close to home there is an outlet where the owner serves all his coffee with light cream unless you ask for something different and all his muffins are 30% bigger than everywhere else.
    It's no wonder it is always busythere
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/07/12 00:28:41 (permalink)
    Yes, I agree with Foodbe. What you wanted is called "Regular" in NYC. It is called "Regular Coffee" 1/2 and 1/2 is 1/2 milk, 1/2 cream or those little white containers of

When I was in college, I got a corporate summer job. The first day, my boss bought me a cup of coffee and asked how I wanted it. Trying to be oh so sophisticated, I said "Normal". She looked at me wierd (because I was supposed to say "Regular") then she handed me the cup, and in my nervousness, I spilled it on her! I am surprised I had a second day there!
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/07/12 08:20:38 (permalink)
    They don't understand what you're talking about. They just don't understand. Personally, I just detest Dunkin Donuts. And that was my very first job, too! I remember being in North Jersey where they have no Wawas, and ordering the coffee and some sort of pastry which I forget. And they put the cream in themselves (uh...let ME do it, OK?) and give me an onion bagel! And you'd have to shoot me to get me to eat anything with onions in it! When I got to the car, the driver ate it and I don't remember where I ended up getting breakfast. I deliver newspapers, and it's a tradition on Saturday mornings for my friend Kathy to bring me a donut that the guy from DD gives her, and she brings me coffee. Well, I always say "Thank you" for the coffee, drink a few sips, and then on the way out to make my first delivery, I throw the whole cup into a bush. LOL. And the donuts from there are alright if they're fresh, but they um go right through me. I'm so glad she "forgot" the coffee this morning. And I gave the Boston Cream (ew) to the coordinator, because she was tired and starving. So I got out of that one today.

And this is just my humble opinion as a person who's spoiled by Wawa and extolls its virtues and sings its praises.

So there should be an alternative for you, Pax, than Dunkin Donuts for your coffee. There has to be.

quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

When I was in college, I got a corporate summer job. The first day, my boss bought me a cup of coffee and asked how I wanted it. Trying to be oh so sophisticated, I said "Normal". She looked at me wierd (because I was supposed to say "Regular") then she handed me the cup, and in my nervousness, I spilled it on her! I am surprised I had a second day there!

Oh, yeah, too funny and that reminds me of the first time my boyfriend and I went to breakfast and the server asks him "What kind of toast?" and he answers, "Regular", meaning white bread, toasted. I tried not to give him that look that said, "Regular? Regular??? It's white, wheat or rye!" But he's a sensitive man, so I saved the teasing for a month. He still orders it as "regular".
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6258
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/07/12 09:07:42 (permalink)
    He's just a regular guy!!!!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/07/14 20:25:45 (permalink)
    He's very special (blushes).

For my follow-up, my friend brought me a jelly donut yesterday morning, one of her free donuts, and I thanked her profusely and threw the donut into that same bush on the way out. The birds and other whatever wildlife in the area must love that bush. I don't know what my problem is, but it never occurs to me what that's going to look like in daylight. I never see that area in daylight.

No Dunkin Donuts coffee for me. Thanks.
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/07/15 07:48:25 (permalink)

I agree with Harriet. In the first place, I try to avoid any coffee place that doesn't allow me to add the 1/2 & 1/2 or milk myself. Too often, I have had such an excessive amount of milk/cream added by Dunkin Donuts employees that the coffee was essentially undrinkable because it was so highly diluted.

Of course, if the coffee was strong enough in the first place, the added cream wouldn't make the coffee turn "a whiter shade of pale". I have found that all too many Dunkin Donuts locations are using too much water/too little ground coffee, with the effect that the coffee is over-extracted, weak, and nasty.

And, as to the baked goods--the bagels are not REAL bagels, but rather a super-sized "Lender-ized" imitation of a real bagel. The donuts? I try to avoid junk food like that.

If there is nothing else available, I will get coffee from Dunkin Donuts, but unfortunately I have had to pour the coffee down the closest storm sewer on many occasions because it was so weak and unpalatable.

wmceaton
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/07/20 22:12:10 (permalink)
    This is one of the main reasons that I started Starbucks coffee. Either the coffee at DD's resembled tea or they seemed to completly ignore my "2 cream no sugar" request. I actually had a DD employee in Providence tell me that was not the way I ordered the coffee...even though I have drank my coffee that way for about 20 years.
    I like Starbucks coffee because I have control of the 1/2 & 1/2...the multitude of posers though at some Stabucks do make me hasten my exit...with the sounds of someone placing the "double chai, skinny, with foam, blah, blah , blah..." echoing in the distance as I make my retreat.

George Carlin was right...the bigger the order the bigger the a#*hole"
    God rest his soul.
    sistergldnhair66
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/07/24 19:31:01 (permalink)
    I frequent the northern NJ DD here, and they have milk, or skim milk, or "light cream". They don't use 1/2 and 1/2
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/08/05 06:15:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pax

There is no "special" NYC/NJ term for this. I just say "please toast my bagel" and that works.
    avalon83
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: Dunkin' Donuts Coffee in NY/NJ 2008/08/05 06:34:12 (permalink)
    I have to agree with Bigapetite - I deserted DD a long time ago. It used to be a regular stop for me, but then they all seemed to change hands and no one knew what I was talking about anymore.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1