Dunkin Donuts coffee rolls: When did they shrink?

Author
HughYeman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
2005/03/30 12:02:23 (permalink)

Dunkin Donuts coffee rolls: When did they shrink?

Remember when Dunkin Donuts coffee rolls were huge and thickly glazed and loaded with cinnamon? I have fond memories of my Mom taking my sister and me to Dunkin Donuts for cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate. Now when I try to relive that memory the experience is like a pale shadow: the coffee rolls are tiny little things that I can finish off in four bites, and don't seem as decadent. Anyone else notice this?

-Hugh

4 Replies Related Threads

wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    RE: Dunkin Donuts coffee rolls: When did they shrink? 2005/03/30 12:44:15 (permalink)
    Is it possible that they stayed the same and you grew?
    HughYeman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Dunkin Donuts coffee rolls: When did they shrink? 2005/03/30 12:53:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Is it possible that they stayed the same and you grew?

I was wondering the same thing, but I was always a pretty darned big boy. Even allowing for relative size, I don't think I would've remembered them being so big if they were always the current size. Also, I distinctly remember being able to "unwind" the swirl through a number of rotations and then ending at a core with a relatively high cinnamon density. Try unwinding one now and you're done almost as soon as you start, and that cinnamon-rich core isn't there.

-Hugh
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    RE: Dunkin Donuts coffee rolls: When did they shrink? 2005/03/30 13:06:41 (permalink)
    I suspect it is a little of each factor ... Knowing FF places, I'm pretty sure your theory is correct.
    Lucky Bishop
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Dunkin Donuts coffee rolls: When did they shrink? 2005/03/30 13:24:04 (permalink)
    You're not misremembering. The quality of DD's doughnuts has tumbled precipitously over the last couple of decades. Remember the "Time to make the doughnuts" guy? Well, he's out of a job, because while most DDs used to have in-store ovens, their doughnuts are now made in central kitchens and trucked into the stores. This means that you're invariably getting doughnuts well past peak freshness.

Even here in New England, where they're based -- there are, no kidding, SIX Dunkin Donuts within walking distance of my house -- nobody rates their doughnuts any more. Not even the company itself does! Ever notice how Dunkin Donuts' TV commercials are ONLY about their coffee?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1