Dunlaps in Gettysburg, PA...

Author
Kodachrome
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 37
2005/05/15 19:28:40 (permalink)

Dunlaps in Gettysburg, PA...

For those ever visiting Historic Gettysburg...eat where the locals do.

http://www.dunlapsrestaurant.com/

We drove 45 minutes this morning from York to Gettysburg to eat there because we heard it was so good...and we were in the mood for an adventure.

I had 2 Eggs Scrambled, Home Fries, Bacon, Toast and French Toast...

My buddy had the same except he got Scrapple instead of Bacon...

The French Toast was excellent and the bacon was amazing, just enough crisp....the Home Fries were cooked in with the slightest hint of onion and it was just enough to make my mouth water thinking about it.

The scrambled eggs are the best eggs i've had outside of my grandmothers house. Period. In my eyes this makes or breaks any restaurant...and thus far i've never taste anything close to these eggs before in my life.

We finished off the meal by ordering a cheese danish....they bake all their pastries in house and they looked fantastic. This was in reality more of a cream cheese stuffed and covered cinnamon roll...but by golly it was amazing. Save room for some dessert if you go. (We even stopped by on our way back to pick up some cinnamon rolls for the ride home...)

I forgot the best part....the total for our meal....

$15.10...check out the menu and prices on the site.

Philip Given

6 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Dunlaps in Gettysburg, PA... 2005/05/15 19:46:12 (permalink)

Philip,
    Thanks for the report.
    How was your friends Scrapple? I have enjoyed squares of Scrapple fried and served with pancakes, but not 'over anything'.
    Kodachrome
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dunlaps in Gettysburg, PA... 2005/05/15 19:50:25 (permalink)
    Being a PA native and growing up eating his grandmothers scrapple...he was very very impressed.

Scrapple makes me gag a little bit thinking about it, but he liked it a whole lot...

Edit: I see that you thought I meant "Scrapple over Bacon" I mant Scrapple instead of bacon...sorry about that.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Dunlaps in Gettysburg, PA... 2005/05/15 20:11:07 (permalink)

In James Michener's "Centennial" one of the characters goes through a rather detailed process of making Scrapple as part of his chores on the family farm in Lancater PA (circa 1840). After reading that I had to find some good Scrapple to see if it would alter the memories I had of nasty stuff that I didn't ever want to taste again after sampling it in my teens. At the Lancaster Central Market I had some of the best (IMHO)Scrapple made anywhere. It might have been because the book set the scene for a Market Day at that very location....or maybe I got lucky. But for whatever reason I do now like to find some good Scrapple and If I am lucky I can get some Fried Mush with it. A real 'Pioneer Farmer Breakfast'.
    Thanks again for the review.
    Greyghost
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Dunlaps in Gettysburg, PA... 2005/05/22 17:39:54 (permalink)
    I have never tried Dunlaps, although Gettysburg is a favorite vacation destination for me. I checked out your link and it looks good. I will certainly give it a try on my next visit.

The Lincoln Diner on Carlisle St. is my standard breakfast place in Gettysburg. It is inexpensive, the food is great and it also has scrapple. A huge plus with me is that it still has a smoking section.

History and railroad fans will also find it compelling. The diner is located right across the street from the old Gettysburg railroad station where Lincoln's train arrived when he gave the Gettysburg Address. If the Diner were located any closer to the railroad tracks it would be on the tracks! This makes for great train watching as you are lingering over your coffee.

I wonder if you have tried this diner? I would be interested in your opinion.
    Kodachrome
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dunlaps in Gettysburg, PA... 2005/05/24 21:31:47 (permalink)
    I have indeed tried the Lincoln Diner, not for breakfast but for lunch...I remember it being pretty good.

Though the difference between the two, in my eyes, is that the Lincoln Diner is pretty touristy where as Dunlaps is where the locals go...heck, the red hat society even has their sunday meetings there and every election it is used as a polling place. It's local...it's got the real heart of Gettysburg in it..sort of like Ernies Texas Hot Weiners.

cowboy bob 2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Dunlaps in Gettysburg, PA... 2005/05/30 11:32:38 (permalink)
    Wow! I've eaten at both ernies & diner by tracks. I spent every weekend for 5 years in gtsybg playing my banjo before i went into the Hot Dog Business. Ole doc Carver then - now Cowboy Bob's Texas Weiners. Now back to scrapple. I used to get it at a little hole in the wall diner located in the Central Market in Lancaster. (no longer there) I used to get 2 eggs toast and runny scraple, to make the scraple eatible you had to smother it with ketchup. Now when I go out for scrapple it's served in squares.
    my 2 cents worth.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1