Dusseldorf Mustard

Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7906
2014/07/12 21:39:51 (permalink)

Dusseldorf Mustard

I was served a dark mustard with a German sausage and it was so tasty I asked the server what kind it was.

Dusseldorf from Germany.

What a nice, bold flavor without being spicy or overbearing.

I'm thinking it might be good to cook with as it doesn't have the bite I find Dijon has.  I like Dijon, but Dusseldorf is just different.

Anyone ever use it?  I'm thinking sauces or dressings. 

3 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18451
    Re: Dusseldorf Mustard 2014/07/12 21:50:20 (permalink)
    I use it on bratwurst sometimes.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10266
    Re: Dusseldorf Mustard 2014/07/13 03:11:13 (permalink)
    Here's a recipe I found.
    If you can pronounce it, you can make it!
    LEICHTER KARTOFFELSALAT
    (I think it says some kind of Potato Salad)
    Printed from COOKS.COM

6 med.-sized boiling potatoes (about 2 lbs.), scrubbed but not peeled
    1 c. finely chopped onions
    2/3 c. chicken stock, fresh or canned
    1/3 c. olive oil
    1 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
    2  tsp. prepared Dusseldorf-style mustard, or substitute 2 tsp. other hot,    prepared mustard
    2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

Drop the unpeeled potatoes into enough lightly salted boiling water to cover them completely. Boil them briskly until they show only the slightest resistance when pierced with the point of a small, sharp knife. Be careful not to let them overcook or they will fall apart when sliced. Drain the potatoes in a colander, then peel and cut them into 1/4-inch slices. Set the potatoes aside in a bowl tightly covered with aluminum foil.
    In a heavy 2 to 3-quart saucepan, combine the chopped onions, stock, oil, vinegar, prepared mustard, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
    Pour the sauce over the potato slices, turning them about with a spatula to coat them evenly. Let the potatoes cool to room temperature, then taste for seasoning and serve.
    post edited by Foodbme - 2014/07/13 03:13:34
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10266
    Re: Dusseldorf Mustard 2014/07/13 03:20:17 (permalink)
    Here's another one from another country!
    CUISSES DE VOLAILLE A LA DIABLE
    Printed from COOKS.COM
    4 chicken legs with thighs attached, about 3 lb.
    Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
    4 tbsp. butter
    2 tbsp. imported mustard such as Dusseldorf
    5 tbsp. dry white wine
    1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
    8 tbsp. fine fresh bread crumbs
    3 tbsp. finely chopped parsley

1. Preheat the broiler to high.
    2. Partly cut the chicken thighs and legs at the joint. Cut about halfway through, but do not sever the legs and thighs. This will speed up the cooking process. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper.
     3. Melt the butter in a baking dish large enough to hold the legs. Heat the dish and add the chicken pieces, turning once to coat with butter.
     4. Arrange the pieces skin side up. Place the dish under the broiler and broil about 4 inches from the source of heat. Cook about 7 minutes and turn. Cook another 7 minutes.
     5. Baste the chicken with butter (at this point it would be skin side down).
     6. Blend the mustard, 1 tablespoon wine and cayenne. Brush the chicken with the mustard mixture and sprinkle each leg and thigh with 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs.
     7. Reduce the oven heat to 450 degrees.
     8. Place the chicken pieces in the oven and bake 10 minutes.
     9. Turn the chicken pieces. Brush with the remaining mustard mixture and sprinkle with remaining crumbs. Return to the oven and bake 15 minutes longer.
     10. Transfer the chicken pieces to a warm platter. Add the remaining wine to the baking dish and stir to dissolve the brown particles that cling to the bottom and sides of the pan. Add the parsley and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Yield 4 servings.

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1