Helpful ReplyHot!Dust In The Wind

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7898
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 09:29:06 (permalink)
mousec
Curious but what makes it a 'High Plains' salad bar? I grew up with this type of salad bar in and around Chicago as well as Wisconsin.

I guess it's just something I completely made up in my head...

Michael Stern has referred to these Midwestern salad bars in the older Roadfood books, specifically found in the small town cafes of our heartland which offer a variety of options besides the usual lettuce, tomato and cucumber. You might find three bean salad, sauerkraut, egg and pea salad, ambrosia and a wide variety of other cold salads that you simply don't find in other parts of the country.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 12:53:43 (permalink)
The further West you go the more likely there will be a Jello Salad item or two in that selection also.
UTAH is known as the HOME of the LIME JELLO-SALAD on the Home-Pot-Luck Supper Circuit !! While not the Ambrosia or Waldorf Salads known "Back East", Adding the mini-marshmellows and julianned carrots or a layer of cottage cheese then pears or peaches makes the Intermountain version of that crossover salad/dessert dish.

Regional language quirk-- in Utah, NV and Calif.  We used the term "Back East" for anything east of the Rockies (generally).

Here in Kentuckiana (Louisville area) People  (including the local TV News people) say "OUT EAST", when they speak of anywhere east of Kentucky itself..West VA- Maryland, PA, NJ, NY New England, NC, are all "OUT EAST",   OUT WEST is everywhere west of the Mississippi River.  Accurate, but a relative geographic descriptor depending on where you are..
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10409
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 13:01:09 (permalink)

WJ-
My visit to Hays House was not nearly as successful as yours.  The place appeared to be on it's last legs.  Seems like the newowners have really spiffed the place up!

rumaki-
Thanks for bringing up Sleepy Hollow.  Brings back some great memories.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8490
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 13:06:17 (permalink)
The midwest loves their salad bars-exactly as described.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 13:21:05 (permalink)
Actually, WJ, your comment on the salad bars makes me feel a little privileged, as I have grown up with salad bars just like that, from decades ago to today.

Honestly, to hear that peas as a salad topper is unusual was a surprise to me, and the other toppings too.  (The peas are always the sweeter, frozen kind, not just raw, although that would work too, at least for me.)

And, agreeing with Ann, we do love them here, and they are part and parcel of the Wisconsin Supper Club, with the Friday fish fries, and the relish trays, and the old-fashioneds, and those heaped-up plates from the salad bar!

And it's almost mandatory that right next to the salad bar is a couple pots of good soups.
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 538
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 13:26:17 (permalink)
But I've got to add, great report!  Always great with the food, but the extras really make it better.  It gives a real feel of the area.  

And I'm lucky -- we are planning about a week and a half trip, from Wisconsin to Fort Worth/Dallas area, and between your report and Mar52's, we have an abundance of choices along the way!

Please keep the reports coming, and with the comments too.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 17:58:04 (permalink)
buffetbuster

Those older reviews of Hays House left me a little nervous... but after my experience I wouldn't hesitate to recommend you revisit the place when you return to Kansas

easydoesit

thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it. I have one more trip report planned for our visit to Seattle and Western Washington in two weeks.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 19:39:51 (permalink)
It was a quick drive back to Old Town... Unfortunately many museums in Wichita are closed on Mondays... But I lucked out here at the Museum of World Treasures

IMG_5408 by ohso37, on Flickr

There are three floors of amazing wonderment...

The first floor is dedicated to ancient pre-historic times as well as world history and culture

IMG_5409 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_5412 by ohso37, on Flickr

Believe it or not this reconstruction are partial fossils

IMG_5414 by ohso37, on Flickr

There are some interesting rocks and crystals too

IMG_5416 by ohso37, on Flickr

I  believe this goes back to ancient Rome

IMG_5418 by ohso37, on Flickr

Here are a couple of old shrunkin' heads from South America

IMG_5422 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_5424 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_5427 by ohso37, on Flickr

don't you just want to rub his belly?

IMG_5428 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_5432 by ohso37, on Flickr

And I believe this guy hails from ancient Africa...

The second floor focused primarily on American History.... everything from life during colonial times, all the major wars through the present and all of our Presidents... Unfortunately photos were not allowed on this floor

The third floor featured odds and ends... focusing primarily on popular American culture and entertainment throughout history...

IMG_5433 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_5434 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_5436 by ohso37, on Flickr

These are Lucy's pearls and Desi's top hat

IMG_5438 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_5439 by ohso37, on Flickr

Somehow or another Aunt Bee's suit case managed to make its way to Wichita

IMG_5441 by ohso37, on Flickr

Now this makes more sense

IMG_5442 by ohso37, on Flickr

And who can forget Mickey and Minnie?

This museum offered quite the interesting hodge podge... And spending a few hours here, it was a brief respite from the heat...

Before heading back to the airport I had a couple of more stops to make..

I didn't quite finish my coffee smack down from earlier in the day.. I made once last return to Meads Corner just up the block from the museum... Well... I hate to say it...as incredibly mediocre as it is...this was the best coffee in Wichita 

I decided to have an early dinner before heading back to the airport.. This was truly the one meal that was wide open when I planned this trip..... I had first thought about going to Doc's Steakhouse. I had first visited back in 2000 and although I enjoyed the garlic salad, there was nothing else about the meal that was memorable. I had either driven through or stopped over in Wichita two times since,  in 2003 and 2010 and had no intention of revisiting. Why would I want to go back now? 

I had thought about a couple of stops from buffetbuster's last trip to Wichita. Including Jack's North High Carryout and another restaurant (a family restaurant and pie shop) whose name escapes me... Well as it turns out...both are now out of business..  I decided on a burger (where else would I go when I'm in the midst of the burger belt?) unfortunately my first choice Bomber Burger  is closed on Mondays...So I went with my second choice

IMG_5444 by ohso37, on Flickr

TJ's Burger House

which was literally just steps away from the Nu Way Sandwich shop, my first stop of this trip.

The place had a nice retro old school 50's diner feel to it

IMG_5445 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_5446 by ohso37, on Flickr

IMG_5451 by ohso37, on Flickr

I decided to go with the  Chili Burger with melted cheddar

IMG_5448 by ohso37, on Flickr

and look what came to my table... A "Texas Style" open faced chili burger...

The chili was beanless and had just a tad of kick...nothing earth shattering..The burger itself had a nice grilled beefy flavor... this was a respectable burger....but it took a back seat to the burger at Nic's that I had a few days earlier in Oklahoma City..

My meal also came with hot from the fryer fresh cut fries..

IMG_5450 by ohso37, on Flickr

I got back to the airport around 5pm or so thinking that my flight was supposed to leave at 6:30 pm... The weather in Wichita was fine, I checked the weather in Rhode Island... fine (and much cooler too although that would change shortly) Uh-oh....I forgot to check the weather in my connecting city- Chicago... Well my flights were going to be 2 hours late getting into and out of Chicago due to....weather.... At that point I texted my boss and told him that I would be taking a half day the following day. There is no way I would be coming the next  morning... Interestingly enough while at the airport in Wichita, I met an older fellow who was flying home to relatives in Rhode Island. He's from Rhode Island, still had the accent even, but moved to Wichita after High School in the late 1960's.....And STAYED THERE!!!!

Anyway... my flight landed just after 2 AM... Luckily I'm less than 10 minutes from the airport.. 

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/09/12 19:44:06
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7020
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 20:01:21 (permalink)
Absolutely beautiful trip report, Dale.  I've never been to this part of the US but now I want to go because of your fantastic pictures and commentaries.  Thank you!!
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8075
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 20:08:28 (permalink)
I had to scroll back up to see if I was on the right thread when I first saw the Buddha and shrunken heads.  They just scream out Kansas to me. 

I loved this report, WJ.  I don't think I'll ever get to Kansas and who's better eyes (and stomach) to experience it through.

Thank you.
will_work_4_bbq
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 20:15:17 (permalink)
Excellent report!  Enjoyed every bite, brew, and sight as if is were my own!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 21:12:03 (permalink)
wanderingjew
I decided to go with the  Chili Burger with melted cheddar

IMG_5448 by ohso37, on Flickr

and look what came to my table... A "Texas Style" open faced chili burger...

I dunno WJ - I'm pretty sure this dish violates at least 6 (maybe 7) different laws of regional eats purism, so I think you should turn yourself in at the nearest Roadfood police station
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/09/12 21:13:36
mlm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 243
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 21:52:58 (permalink)
Truly great report, Dale. Seems you did very well aside from  coffee. I expect you saw the very best coffee on the west coast. Recently, I read of someone being puzzled about the emphasis on coffee and baked goods in Oregon and Washington. I'm not, thinking of all the rain. I always figured the emphasis stems from efforts to stay awake. Cloudy skies and rain always puts me to sleep. I'm afraid that if I went to the west coast, my life might become one long nap! Of course, one needs a muffin or scone to follow the coffee. I don't know how to type a link but check Red Skelton's 'dunking doughnuts' act on youtube. It's very funny.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/12 23:04:44 (permalink)
There truely is "No Place Like Home", is there ?  Nice job on you descriptions

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8490
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/13 08:04:50 (permalink)
What a fun report to read! Thanks for taking the time to bring us along.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5148
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/13 09:13:00 (permalink)
Great job with the food and non-food activities, WJ...an excellent variety of both!

Did you try to eat that last chiliburger with your hands, or did you resort to tableware?  It looks like it would've been pretty messy.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/13 10:20:31 (permalink)
MLM

I'll have to check that out on youtube. I remember watching the Red Skelton Show (the final years of the show) with my grandmother when I was a little boy. We'll probably be checking out a dozen coffee houses when we're out there. 

TJ

really? you know burgers are universal, with the best being in the heartland (yes, that's a fact!) Central Kansas sits on the periphery of the Midwest and Southwest. Wichita shares alot of  characteristics with Oklahoma City (where a Chiliburger would be perfectly acceptable) 

SC

That was definitely a "knife and fork venture"

Everyone else...

Thanks! 

post edited by wanderingjew - 2014/09/13 10:54:50
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/14 23:47:59 (permalink)
I think you'll only get probation
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2014/09/15 10:54:34
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7020
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/15 00:20:32 (permalink)
What on earth is "probabation"????
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/15 10:54:49 (permalink)
sorry lleechef, fixed it
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/15 11:27:39 (permalink)
Great, great report....however, I am curious - since you were in Salina....no stop at Cozy Inn?? It certainly is as iconic as any place in Kansas! 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/15 11:44:00 (permalink)
ConeyIslandLou
Great, great report....however, I am curious - since you were in Salina....no stop at Cozy Inn?? It certainly is as iconic as any place in Kansas! 

Unfortunately , I can't eat that much.
Bunker Hill Cafe was an absolute must stop and I would have been to full to enjoy my meal there if I went to Cozy  Inn. buffetbuster also suggested I stop at Al's Chickenette since it only would have been about a 1/2 hour away from Bunker Hill, and that too was an impossibilility..Eating 3 full meals a day on the days I had a full breakfast was even a challenge.
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1732
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/15 18:26:53 (permalink)
Dale..the NEXT thing ya gotta do is "a walk in my own backyard"...with your pictures, eloquence, and ability to rout out local "stuff", a tour of Southcounty RI (etc) SEMA and Far western CT shore would be a invaluable!.......or maybe you already did years ago...but I missed it
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/15 19:36:35 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic
Dale..the NEXT thing ya gotta do is "a walk in my own backyard"...with your pictures, eloquence, and ability to rout out local "stuff", a tour of Southcounty RI (etc) SEMA and Far western CT shore would be a invaluable!.......or maybe you already did years ago...but I missed it

It may sound strange but locally, I only go out for a meal when I'm either with my girlfriend or with friends. I usually don't take a camera with me although I've been known to take an occasional photo with my phone.
Besides...here's a sample of places I've visited recently. They're all good, but I'm not sure I'd call any of them "iconic"

http://www.milagrocafect.com/

http://www.engineroomct.com/

http://www.pickpocketswakefield.com/

http://www.theremingtonhouseinn.com/

Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/09/15 23:17:23 (permalink)
We were at Hays House in Council Grove, KS last fall. What struck me as most interesting was the cutlery. I never handled better in a restaurant.
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2435
Re: Placeholder for Kansas- Oklahoma trip report 2014/10/02 04:29:26 (permalink)
WJ, another "home run" of a trip report.  A perfect blend of food, baseball, and local history and flavor.  Those shots at the Oklahoma City memorial were hard to look at.  Very sobering.  Thanks so much for all of the work you put in.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1