Dutch Chocolate Pies

Author
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
2005/01/25 01:52:13 (permalink)

Dutch Chocolate Pies

When I was a kid in the 70's, I loved "Dutch Chocolate Pies." They were like Hostess fruit pies, but with chocolate goo inside. Does anyone remember who made them? Hostess, Dolly Madison, or someone else?

10 Replies Related Threads

6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/01/25 02:41:06 (permalink)
    Hostess does make Chocolate Pies, though I don't think they have the word "Dutch" on them. They sort of rotate them with their Lemon Pies. As I said on another thread, "Hostess" and "Dolly Madison" are the same company (Interstate Bakeries) and some stores around here have one label and some have the other (and some have both labels, but at different places in the store). It is possible that the Dolly Madison label uses "Dutch" with their Chocolate Pies, but it might take a while for me to find out, since I think right now they are doing Lemon Pies along with the fruit ones. If I can keep this in the back of my mind, I will let you know if I see any with "Dutch" Chocolate.
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/01/25 03:09:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 6star

Hostess does make Chocolate Pies, though I don't think they have the word "Dutch" on them. They sort of rotate them with their Lemon Pies. As I said on another thread, "Hostess" and "Dolly Madison" are the same company (Interstate Bakeries) and some stores around here have one label and some have the other (and some have both labels, but at different places in the store). It is possible that the Dolly Madison label uses "Dutch" with their Chocolate Pies, but it might take a while for me to find out, since I think right now they are doing Lemon Pies along with the fruit ones. If I can keep this in the back of my mind, I will let you know if I see any with "Dutch" Chocolate.

Thanks. It's been at least twenty years since I've seen these. But, they were very common here in northern California back then. I am thinking it was probably a company other than Hostess, as they were always advertising their apple and cherry pies, but never chocolate. I've certainly never seen a Hostess chocolate pie in California in recent years. They only sell fruit pies here.

There is a brand here called "Home Run" that makes chocolate pies.
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/03/11 21:29:10 (permalink)
    Doesn't anyone else out there remember the mysterious "Dutch Chocolate" pies? I believe they were in a brown wrapper with a drawing of a dutch girl. Also, I know that Hostess and Dolly Madison are now the same company. But, were they different companies back in the Seventies?
    benslady
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/03/11 22:05:44 (permalink)
    i remember word "dutch" printed in old english style, could it have been van de kamps bakery items..... those were big in the Northwest up to the late 70's
    cozmos
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/03/11 22:30:07 (permalink)
    Chocolate pies can be found from the TnT Bakery in Bowmansville,PA in the heart of Amish country. They are deep dish pies for one, round, full of filling,in every fruit flavor too. Tastykake also bakes single chocolate pies in a long shape. I know they ship every where. I tried to find TnT on internet but they are a small pie factory in Bowmansville,PA surrounded by Amish schools, churches,farms and produce stands.They sell to bigger stores like Shady Maple Market in East Earl,PA on Route 23.It's the largest supermarket on east coast,you need a map to navigate the store. Lots of tourists go there and eat at the Shady Maple Smorgasborg a step away,Pa Dutch food.Hope this inspires someone to check out.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/03/11 22:47:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Saint Matt

Also, I know that Hostess and Dolly Madison are now the same company. But, were they different companies back in the Seventies?

If I remember correctly, yes. Hostess was a Continental Baking Co. brand until 1995 according to their website. I think Dolly Madison was always an Interstate Bakeries brand.
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/03/11 23:50:03 (permalink)
    I just went and tried a "Home Run" pie, "Made With Dutch Chocolate." Terrible crust. Avoid at all cost.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/03/12 02:20:27 (permalink)
    Dolly Madison still makes their chocolate pies (as I just saw an entire shelf dedicated to them at the local Sheetz), but I never cared for them. When I eat one, I get the feeling that my nose and throat burns like I have a cold or something.

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/03/12 11:53:54 (permalink)
    Sorry, but all this makes me want to go watch an episode of South Park with Eric Cartman screaming at his mom: "Go make me some pies!"
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Dutch Chocolate Pies 2005/12/16 19:22:28 (permalink)
    I'm now wondering if the mysterious Dutch Chocolate Pies were made by the Mickeys brand. Anyone know if Mickeys made such a product? I have not seen that brand in many, many years.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1