The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Early KFC Sides

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
Early KFC Sides Sun, 10/24/10 2:16 AM (permalink)
I've been trying to determine what the KFC pre-corporate to corporate transition sides were. This is hard to nail down as the pre-corparate agreements allowed any restaurant to feature the chicken with their own menu and sides. Sanders did offer some suggested sides with his own recipes, but beyond the chicken royalty agreement, gravy, approved sourcing, and equipment rental agreements, nothing was carved in stone until the corporate take over and then not immediately. There were recipes offered for BBQ beans, Bean Salad, Potato Salad, and Cole slaw, but not mandatory. Pre-1970, we had a few QSR operators that were usually ex-drive in operations that went with the box/bucket Harmon/Hobby House theme and offered the tiered packages with only mashed potatoes, the dirty gravy, slaw, FF, and the chicken along with a roll and wet nap/spork package. None offered any of the supplemental recipes in the original agreement around here. It's important to note that this area wasn't initally included in the corporate buyout and under the control of Sander's daughter. When the corporate red and white locations opened up, there were big changes besides the chicken. The gravy became that yellow sludge. They started to offer a "pink" potato salad with green onions and sliced potatoes. That very soon gave way to a non-sweet mayo based salad with pellet-like potatoes in a mashed potato base. The macaroni salad was a thin mayo base that wasn't sweet and sort of vinergary with flecks of carrot in it. Those of you that have had Publix's current macaroni salad would know that taste minus anything but a few carrot flecks. The original suggested recipes used only Miracle Whip, had no carrots, and were generally sweet. The corporate stores changed all that. Even the cole slaw went from a confetti sized slaw with a lot of leaf green to a rice sized mush that included carrots.

What do you folks remember as the offered sides b4 the corporate takeover?

MiamiDon

Re:Early KFC Sides Sun, 10/24/10 7:15 AM (permalink)
    ca. 1980 they served "bread" that was sort of like a hamburger bun, not a biscuit.  When I first went to Bojangle's on 36th street by the airport, I was amazed by the biscuit, in contrast to the KFC offering.

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1930
      Re:Early KFC Sides Sun, 10/24/10 8:23 AM (permalink)
      DawnT, I wish I could help, because you're bringing back lots of great memories.  As late as the '70s, we had Carl's Restaurants, real full-service restaurants with delicious sides in addtion to the entee, Col. Sanders' Kentucky Fried Chicken, which was advertised as "fresh, never frozen milk-fed chicken."  Unfortunately, I can't recall specifics of the side dishes served there.  But the chicken was wonderful back then.  And we took for granted the real plates, glasses, and silverware.

MiamiDon:  Bojangle's biscuits really rock.

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
        Re:Early KFC Sides Sun, 12/26/10 12:40 PM (permalink)
        when i was 15 to 17 i worked at a kfc in skokie illinois as a cook, all i remember was orig recipe, x crispy, mash potatoes gravy,cole slaw rolls and little parfait deserts that was the whole menu in 1978

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
          Re:Early KFC Sides Sun, 12/26/10 12:46 PM (permalink)
          Milk fed chicken?

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1930
            Re:Early KFC Sides Sun, 12/26/10 1:00 PM (permalink)
            Yep, that was the pitch as it read on the menu.  I can't comment further, except to say that it sho' was good.
            <message edited by MellowRoast on Sun, 12/26/10 1:02 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com