East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please

Author
buck_choklit
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2003/07/17 17:24:18 (permalink)

East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please

My roommate and I are writers living in NYC. We're going to be doing a travel/food piece for a national magazine, and we're looking for some tips.
The idea is that we're gonna take a road trip down the East Coast, from NYC to Florida, and then perhaps swing over to Louisiana/Texas too. The goal of our trip is to seek out restarants/bars that have the BIGGEST WHATEVER (Steak, Burger, Baked Potato, etc), or some sort of promotion where you eat an obscenely large item--or an obscene amount of something--and get a T-shirt, Name on Plaque, etc.
We're gonna try to tackle as many of these gastro-challenges as possible ...
We'd like to hear from you about any places we should check out on our trip. Any suggestions will do.
Thanks.

9 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please 2003/07/17 17:58:13 (permalink)
    Fellow Foodies,
    I sent an email to the person who posted this topic letting them know that we welcome their inquiry, but requested them to limit the question to one forum, rather than repeat it on all of the site-forums. They have agreed, so we have deleted the various copies of this topic. Please feel free to comment on the question that has been raised about recommendations ...
    Thanks for the cooperation,
    AL, (The no longer virgin Sub-Moderator)
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please 2003/07/17 19:35:07 (permalink)
    We have been contributing to a subject called I-95 NYC to South Florida. I put my thoughts there. When I think of big, I think of the Texas Steak House in Amarillo. If you go to Texas, you may want to hit Amarillo on your way back to the city.

I can think of the largest donut. Special at Round Rock Donuts it is 16" in diameter. www.roundrockdonuts.com They are 15 miles north of Austin on I-35.

Jailhouse Cafe in San Antonio has two pound cinamin rolls and perhaps the largest chicken fried steak too.

Manganaro's on 9th Ave. in Manhattan has the HeroBoy six foot hero sandwich.
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please 2003/07/17 19:55:25 (permalink)
    Here's a nice little article about the Big Texan Steak House in Amarillo. When we were driving from Southern California to Pennsylvania in 1984, my former husband and I wanted to stop here, but couldn't, because we had a cockatiel (still living!) and two parakeets in the car.

I'm curious to see some of the restaurant names and locations in this thread.

http://members.aol.com/crfwriter/crf_steak.html
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please 2003/07/17 20:05:53 (permalink)
    We have enjoyed the Big Texan many times on cross-county roadtrips. I haven't done the 72 oz. challenge, but two of my sons have and both passed with flying colors.
    AL
    alfredo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 138
    RE: East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please 2003/07/24 16:49:47 (permalink)
    If you're coming down I-95, try a place called Harold's Diner on Hilton Head Island, SC. It's on U.S. 278, the main drag through HHI. They make one of the largest hamburgers I've ever seen (about 1 1/2 pounds of meat) and if you can eat TWO of these monsters, plus fries, they'll give you a t-shirt or cap. You will also receive awestruck admiration from fellow patrons. I've tried it, and although I love to eat, I was unable to finish one hamburger.
    BarbPick
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please 2003/07/30 09:55:04 (permalink)
    The only challenge I knoiw of it at Fat Tuesday's. They have frozen drinks and most likely by now are in every tourist place know to man. But they started in New Orleans. Never know, worst that can happen is that you feel no pain.
    foodguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please 2003/07/30 11:46:16 (permalink)
    Roseland Apizza in Derby CT has huge (10$) Chicken and meatball parm grinders. THey have great pizza too, but thyre regular sized.

[|)][|)][|)][|)]
    jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1184
    RE: East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please 2003/07/30 12:43:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Fellow Foodies,
    I sent an email to the person who posted this topic letting them know that we welcome their inquiry, but requested them to limit the question to one forum, rather than repeat it on all of the site-forums. They have agreed, so we have deleted the various copies of this topic. Please feel free to comment on the question that has been raised about recommendations ...
    Thanks for the cooperation,
    AL, (The no longer virgin Sub-Moderator)
    jackier
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: East Coast Road Trip - Advice Please 2003/07/30 22:57:52 (permalink)
    If you start north of NYC and do Roseland in Derby---which is not just copious food, but delicious food, too---then you should go to Spike's Junkyard Dogs in Providence. If you down 6 (or perhaps it's 7) of their very huge dogs in 40 minutes, you get a tee-shirt, and your photo goes up on the wall. You CAN even substitute their tofu dogs...
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1